Snap Happy (A Daniel Ricciard...

By Twentysomething

When failed photographer and failed girlfriend Emily Taylor goes to Monaco to get over a broken heart she doe... More

(Introduction) Sleepless In Monaco
2: Opening Moves
3: Staying Focused
4. Holding on and letting go
6. Down To Business
7. We'll Meet Again?
8. Friends Will Be Friends
9. Surprise!
10. Uphill or Downhill?
11. Past and Presents
12. A Load of (Red) Bull
13. A matter of time
14. The Tension and the Spark
15. Makeup
16. Homeward Bound
17. Ein großes verdammtes Durcheinander
18. Brief Encounters
19. Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken...
20. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
21. Meet The Parents (Again)
22. Mission Impossible
23. Caught
24. Up In The Air
25. Downfall
26. Withdrawal Symptoms
27. Worlds Apart
28. One Of Us
29. Perspective
30. United
31. "You're My Favourite Deputy"
32. Four Letter Word
33. The Call
34. Judgement Day
35. GRAND Finale
36. Parents, Pools, and (near) Public Nudity
37. New Year, New Beginnings
38. Some Say...
39. Many Happy Returns
The Perfect Plan (Bonus Chapter)
**Announcement - New Story!**
Christmas Special
Snap Happy - an explanation
Still Here

5. Decent Exposure

7.3K 122 12
By Twentysomething

EMILY

There was a man at the end of my bed.

Except it wasn't my bed.

There was a man at the end of the bed that wasn't MY bed in a room that wasn't MY room.

And he was smiling. Broadly.

"You kidnapped me!" I accused him in a sleep-slurred voice.

"I RESCUED you" he corrected indignantly, trying to look offended.  "YOU were the one who fell asleep on ME remember"

"Speaking of which, exactly how DID i get back here?"

"Uhhh, I may have called in a favour, I rang J...just some guy I know and he came and picked us up and helped me carry you up the stairs. "

"Ohhhhhh shhiiiiiiiit" I slumped back against the pillows, thoroughly embarrassed as I recalled falling apart in his strong and comforting arms.

 "Yeah, seriously Em you could sleep through a dozen V8s but I'll let you off - you seemed pretty done in."

 "I was...and Daniel?" his eyes met mine enquiringly "thanks".

 "No worries" he smiled "Breakfast?"

He threw me an apple which I missed, my fingertips closing on mid air as it landed by my shoulder.

"Ha! Forgot Pommies couldn't catch..."

"...or throw!" he added cheekily as the revenge pillow went sailing past his face.

"Now get up - we've got work to do"

"WE?????" I spluttered. "I've got to get back...I'm in your bed...I'm still in yesterday's clothes...I've taken up far too much of your valuable time being a TOTAL wimp...AND I'M A MESS!"

He grinned and my internal organs decided to swap places somewhere beneath my rib cage.. I wish he'd stop doing that.

On second thoughts I wish he'd NEVER stop doing that. 

"You're forgetting something" he said coyly, "I never got to tell you my news"

He raised his hand above my head and swung something in front of my eyes like a pendulum, laughing as I tried in vain to grab it from him. Finally catching it I read the words in utter shock and disbelief.

'MONACO GP: MEDIA PASS'

"Daniel Ricciardo you didn't!!!...Is this for me?"

Tears welled up in my eyes as he nodded slowly, his smile spreading even wider across his face. I said nothing, I couldn't, I just launched myself across the room and threw my arms around the neck of this wonderful (beautiful) man who barely knew me, but had clicked his fingers and made my dreams come true. For the second time in twenty four hours he let me cling to him, holding me tightly in return. 

DANIEL

I couldn't deny it, making her smile made me feel great. She still hadn't spoken but the happiness that radiated from her as she trembled in my arms was infectious. I released her slowly, she was dishevelled, her clothes crumpled where she had slept in them, and her hair sticking out in a candyfloss cloud around her face. Perfectly imperfect I thought to myself. She was so genuine, so undemanding - the only thing she had actually asked me for was that one photograph and to see the weight lifted from her shoulders I'd have given her the world. 

The way she was looking at me perhaps I just had.

"So, Seb and I have a photoshoot and a couple of interviews onboard the Red Bull boat in..." I glanced down at my wrist "two hours. I've spoken to Darren and he says you can shadow the F1 Racing crew for the day. That's if you've got no other plans of course...?"

"I...I don't know how I can possibly thank you enough" she gasped.

"Well you could always jump on me again" I suggested with a mischievous wink.

She blushed and looked down at the floor.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that" she mumbled " I was just...I can't believe you'd do this for me. I'm just...a nobody"

Who deserves to be a somebody. I thought to myself. 

"Well I couldn't let a talent let yours go to waste" I said casually outloud. "Now, If I drop you off at your hotel and pick you up in an hour I'll have enough time to introduce you to Darren and leave you in his capable hands"

***

An hour later she was outside the hotel smiling nervously at me. She looked scared, but refreshed and her eyes were gleaming with life not tears. Her hair was smooth and swept back under a  hairband and her long legs were encased in black cut-offs topped with a cream ruffled blouse. She looked every inch the professional with her camera bag slung round her shoulder, the only thing lacking was the confidence and that would come with time if she could make a good enough impression this weekend. 

She climbed into the car beside me, the tremor in her hands as she buckled her belt betraying just how apprehensive she really was. 

"I don't know if I can do this" she confided. I leaned across and squeezed her hand reassuringly.

"I've shown your photos to Darren - he didn't take too much convincing - HE wants to work with YOU" 

"Wish me luck" she grimaced as we arrived at the luxury yacht, her eyes widening at the sight of the craft and the people aboard. Spontaneously I dropped a kiss on the side of her head, retreating quickly before she realised what I'd done.

"Darren!" I yelled as we stepped onto the deck. "She's all yours".

EMILY

"Hi, I'm Darren". The choppy-haired Brit introduced himself with a confident handshake. 

"Emily... I know who you are - nice to meet you". The teenage boy voice had returned and I cursed inwardly as I attempted to clear my throat.

"Dan showed me your photos - you've clearly got a good eye and some sound technique but let's see what you can REALLY do. I hope you've got some business cards with you too 'cos you won't get a better chance to network than this."

I was suddenly grateful for the card holder on my keyring. I'd thrown the rest away, convinced that I'd never need them again, but my last remaining fragments of hope had made me keep the holder and it's contents just in case. 

A sudden flurry of activity made me look up. A train of people had emerged from one of the doors including GULP Sebastian Vettel. The four-time champion looked relaxed and casual but it was not him that my eyes frantically sought. Finally he appeared at the back of the group, dark Red Bull shirt open at the neck giving a tantalising hint of the tanned skin beneath. His  tailored jeans were fitted perfectly to his athletic body and as he turned his back to me for a moment I cast my eyes downward towards...

"You ready then?" 

Darren brought me back down to earth with a jolt and I swiftly checked my kit and nodded.

"We're just going to do a few informal solo shots - leaning against the rail, relaxing... you know the sort of thing. Then we're going to do some of them together - laughing, joking around, being competitive. The accompanying article is focusing on their relationship as team-mates so we want to reflect that. I won't direct you too much, just use your instincts and see what you can come up with. Think you can handle it?" 

"I'll give it my best shot"

He rolled his eyes at the pun and grinned at me.

"You'll be fine. Let's do this!" He raised his voice. "OK SEB - YOU'RE UP FIRST, JUST GIVE US SOME CHILLED OUT, NATURAL STUFF - LOOK OUT TO SEA AND WE'LL GO FROM THERE"

I started shooting, trying to follow Darren's lead, but gradually breaking away and trying a few things of my own. Then it was Daniel's turn. My eyes and my camera followed his every move, mesmorised by the aura of effortless cool that seemed to surround him. I could tell that not only did the cameras love him, but the photographers and the rest of the media personnel did too, even if he occasionally burst out laughing and broke the spell. I was caught up in the moment. Letting my intuition take over I ignored  everybody else on the boat as if it was just the two of us, and he posed only for me.

There was no doubt in my mind - I belonged here, and I wanted to stay in this environment for the rest of my life. 

Authors note: I confess I LOVED writing this chapter and once I'd started I couldn't stop. It's pretty much my own perfect day so I put everything into it. I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know if you liked the dialogue - it's the first time I've written more dialogue than description/inner monologue so I hope it wasn't a let down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 378 53
Volume I in the Heartdriven series: Filling in a temp job, Alice sets off on a new adventure... as a photographer in the Formula One circus of 2012 T...
2.1K 6 20
In the world of Formula 1, driver Oscar and photographer Iris clash. They must confront their confusing feelings and navigate a tumultuous journey fr...
183K 3.6K 34
Dani & Daniel, two best friends that spent their whole childhood and teenage life being that duo that couldn't be separated to two best friends that...
242K 4.2K 54
27 year old Elza had her life under control. Good job and amazing friends. She loved her normal life. One summer holiday in Monaco with her best frie...