Dead Reckoning - A Gregorio d...

Par 23meraki

You are an ordinary senior college student. But on your first day, you get a video game which sends you to th... Plus

Introduction
I - Mimeomia
II - Keyframe
III - Monachopsis
IV - Hanker Sore
V - Jouska
VI - Exulansis
VII - Semaphorism
VIII - Occhiolism
IX - Rückkehrunruhe
X - Kuebiko
XI - Pâro
XII - Adronitis
XIII - The Tilt Shift
XIV - Anecdoche
XV - Ellipsism
XVI - Daguerreologue
XVII - Lachesism
XVIII - Kairosclerosis
XX - Ecstatic Shock
XXI - Silience
XXII - Catoptric Tristesse
XXIII - Vellichor
XXIV - Sonder
XXV - Onism
XXVI - Liberosis
XXVII - Nighthawk
XXVIII - Kenopsia
XXIX - Fitzcarraldo
XXX - Altschmerz
XXXI - Mal de Coucou
XXXII - Midsummer
XXXIII - Gnossienne
XXXIV - Mauerbauertraurigkeit
XXXV - Fata Organa
XXXVI - Anemoia
XXXVII - Nodus Tollens
XXXVIII - Vemödalen
XXXIX - Chrysalism
XL - Ambedo
XLI - Rubatosis
XLII - Rigor Samsa
XLIII - Dead Reckoning
A/N: The Story behind "Dead Reckoning"
XLIV - Avenoir
XLV - Énouement
XLVI - Xeno
Bonus Chapter: Winter's Song
Bonus Chapter: Midnight Oil
Bonus Chapter: All Over Again
Bonus Chapter: Happiest Year
Next Book to Read
A/N
Important Announcement!
New A/N (12 May 2022)
#DeadReckoningat2
!!! (Updated 28 June 2022)
A/N (4 August 2022)
A/N (6 December 2022)
A/N (5 February 2023)
A/N (01 March 2023, New Project)
A/N (04 March 2023)

XIX - Heartworm

2.1K 92 115
Par 23meraki

n. a relationship or friendship that you can't get out of your head, which you thought had faded long ago but is still somehow alive and unfinished, like an abandoned campsite whose smoldering embers still have the power to start a forest fire.

* * *

So, the plan had been simple. Goyo wants the Spaniards to have time to surrender themselves in. That's the very reason why we've surrounded the town of Bulakan. Why his men simultaneously fire at where the Spaniards had hid themselves in the church just across the town square. And all the reason why Goyo had been greeted friendly by the folks is because he is from this very town, and had asked everybody's participation for the next part of his plan.

Early morning, Goyo and the townspeople had set up a feast outside the church where the Spaniards had been hiding. The intention is to draw them out to surrender. And I am starting to doubt that it will even happen. After all, this Spaniards surely are yet to find out that the Americans had been backing up the revolutionary forces of the Philippines. But, also, if I'll be on their case; perhaps I'll be doing the same thing. Or maybe not...

The Spaniards had been playing masters for far too long already in these lands... thinking that this had been theirs until the end of time. Perhaps, people are like that. Once they hold the power for far too long, they are too afraid to lose it.

Days passed and still, nothing happened. In the end, I try to play along with the celebration. But as every day and night passed without a hint of the Spaniards surrendering, I am starting to wonder if this plan is effective.

Isidro notices my heavy sigh, causing him to ask me, "Hmm? (Y/N)?"

I pout a little. "Talaga bang magiging matagumpay ito?"

"Ibig-sabihin mo itong ginagawa natin?" he asks.

I nod. "Wala tayong ginawa kung hindi noong unang araw ay paputukan sila. Tapos, noong nagtago sila sa simbahan, naglatag tayo ng mga mesa at naglaan ng pista. Ilang araw na ang nakakaraan at wala pa ring nangyayari."

"(Y/N)," he says with a smile. "Alam mo ba ang kasabihan na, 'Upang magtagumpay sa buhay, kailangan mo ang dalawang bagay: kamangmangan at pagtitiwala.'"

I am expecting that he'll be saying something else. Instead, I feel a little disappointed. Among all people, I am expecting that Isidro will wake up from his senses and admit how strange all of this actions are. It's as if we're being confident that we will not be attacked by other Spanish armies; or even be attacked by the Americans for our insolence of the situation. However, no one seems to understand the trouble I am feeling.

Days passed and nothing still. Feast, singing and dancing, continues. For the Spaniards inside, it is a torment. No sign of them even leaving at all. I get it that we're hoarding them from their supplies; waiting for the time that they'll finally resign and call it quits than to continue suffering in hunger. Soon, they'll all contact some sort of disease. And one by one, they'll start dying as well.

"Goyong," I hear Julian telling his brother one day. "Mukhang matitibay ang mga iyon ha."

Instead of agreeing, Goyo smirks and shakes his head. He throws the apple he is holding and catches it with ease. Confidence radiates from his stature. "Lahat ng matitibay na gusali, kapag patuloy mong inaatake, ay bibigay at bibigay din." He takes a bite and his smile grows wider, deadlier. "Susuko din sila, kuya. Matutong maghintay."

I butt in with their conversation. "Hmph. Ilang araw na ang nakakalipas at wala pa rin nangyayari."

The two del Pilars look at me. Julian nods, agreeing; and Goyo, bewildered as if he is not expecting me to say anything, especially to voice out my disagreement, had been in the middle of taking another bite on his apple that makes him look like some lechon.

I almost laugh, imagining him as one. I immediately cover my mouth and clears my throat. "Sabi ko nga. Wala pa rin nangyayari."

Goyo smirks, his confidence back again. "Anong gagawin mo kapag nagtagumpay tayo?"

I shrug. "Wala. Eh di tama ka. O di kaya sabihin mo sa akin na kainin ko ang mga sinabi ko."

"Natatawa ka kanina. Bakit?"

I try to remember what he means by that, instantly imagining him again as a lechon with an apple stuffed in his mouth. "W-Wala." I shake my head, frowning, and press my hands against my cheeks. "Hindi kaya ako tumatawa."

Julian laughs and Goyo suppresses himself from joining in. Instead, he looks for a second at the direction of the church and with a wide grin, draws closer to me and shoves the apple to my mouth, surprising me.

I immediately hold onto the apple, wiping my lips. "A-Ano ba?!"

"Simulan mo na kainin ang mga sinabi mo," he replies and walks away, heading closer to the direction of the church, where everyone else gathered is looking at now.

And so do I.

Seeing a white flag being waved by the entrance of the church. The Spaniards surrendering.

# # #

The Spaniards, under the command of Commandant Ortiz, raised the white flag of surrender ten days after the start of the siege. After that, a conference was arranged between the two forces about thirteen days later at the house of a man named Manuel Lazaro. Commandant Ortiz, just after their surrender, had been given the priviledge to write to his superior about the independence of Bulacan under their rule. So, representing the Spanish troops is not only him but also Governor Vicente Cuervo, both completely different and out of place among the majority that had been gathered.

There are a few Spaniards with them, but most of the ones present are under our side. And representing the Philippines in this contract agreement of peace is Jose de los Reyes and by Lieutenant Gregorio del Pilar himself. The surrender is more than just a victory, since it isn't only in the town proper of Bulakan; but a mark of the victories of the Katipunan from all of the towns of Bulacan. They all assembled in Pitpitan for the victory parade with the marching band playing the martial airs of a tune named Alerta Katipunan.

After the signing and agreement, Goyo graces the parade as he rides his white horse at the head of the march followed by everyone else on his cavalry wearing the common rayadillo uniforms of every soldier who've fought. A group of pupils were also asked to perform, singing the song titled Sa Magandang Silangan. I heard from Isidro that it was written by Rizal as a poem and had been given musical notes by a native as well, and that it was Goyo's favorite kundiman, and that one of the singers had been Anita, Goyo's cousin by his uncle Marcelo. And when a young girl named Lucila had been given the spotlight in singing solo for a particular part, my eyes pinned to where Goyo is, I think I've been dreaming to find that tears were shed from Goyo's eyes though he is smiling proudly.

As for me, well, I stay by the sidelines, watching all of it unfold. For some reason, I am happy with it. And a congratulations is awaiting for me to be delivered to Goyo upon hearing that he'd been promoted to brigadier general.

During the evening feast, everyone still in the mood of celebration at the success of having their independence from the colonial Spanish troops, I find Goyo talking to some of his men, urging them to have fun but it had been visible that the men didn't agree with him and would like to remain vigilant. But I see them smile at him, and I find that they've settled into some agreement.

Later on, as he nods at them to bid goodbye, I finally gain my courage to walk up to him. Smiling, I say, "Mukhang masayang-masaya ka ngayon, ha?"

He notices me right away, a little surprised for a second before smiling as well. He nods. "Bakit hindi? Masama bang hindi magsaya ngayong tuluyan ng napagkasunduan na malaya na ang probinsya ng Bulacan?"

I shake my head a little. "Hindi. Hindi, walang masama doon. Ibig ko lamang sabihin... baka dito tapos na ang labanan. Paano sa ibang parte ng Pilipinas?"

He shrugs. "Hindi sa wala akong pake, pero... ang bawat bagay na napagtatagumpayan, para sa akin, ay kailangan ipagdiwang. Alam mo iyon? Sino ba mag-aakala na darating ang panahon na matatapos ito? Ah, baka matatapos nga pero sino ang mag-aakala na aabutan natin ang panahon na ito? Na buhay tayo, na nandito tayo. Naku, Pendejo, kung ako sa iyo, makiisa ka na lamang sa kasiyahan."

I smile timidly. "Napaisip lamang ako. Kalimutan mo na nagtanong ako sa iyo. Nga pala, maligayang bati. Heneral ka na."

In the darkness, I may have mistaken the fact that Goyo flushes a little. He smiles softly. "Maraming salamat. Pasalamat ako kay Presidente Aguinaldo at nakita niya ang aking kakayahan, at pinagkakatiwalaan na maging isa sa kanyang mga heneral. Masaya ako."

I nod. "Mabuti naman."

"Ngayong nasabi mo na rin, may regalo ka ba?" He laughs a little. "Alam mo na, heneral na ako. Baka naman may ibibigay ka sa akin."

I immediately frown, looking at him as if asking, 'Seriously?'

He laughs much more. "Tignan mo. Dumaan ang kaarawan ko, tapos yung pasko. Tapos ito ngayon. Hanggang ngayon, wala pa rin? Ano ba 'yan! Samantalang ako, may binigay ako sa iyo."

"Binigay? Kailan ka nagbigay, ha?"

"Yung guhit," he answers. "Yung binigay ko sa iyo bago tayo maghiwalay?"

I look at him, frowning a little, trying to remember what he means by that. And after a few seconds, I finally remember what he is implying. "A-Ah..."

"Mahalaga iyon, alam mo ba?"

I nod and smile. "Alam ko." I look at him. "S-Salamat."

He nods at me again and turns to look at the person approaching us. "Isidro," he says.

Isidro smiles at the two of us and states, "Maligayang bati, Goyo. Ngayon, isa ka nang ganap na heneral."

"Maraming salamat, kaibigan," Goyo replies with a huge smile.

He then looks at me before back to his friend. "Pwede ko bang makausap saglit si (Y/N)?"

Goyo's smile at that disappears and he crosses his arms across his chest. "Hmm... ano iyon? Kung ano man ang sasabihin mo kay Pendejo, siguro naman ay pwede ko rin marinig, hindi ba?"

I turn to Goyo first and then to Isidro, biting my lower lip a little and nods.

But before Isidro could say something, Julian comes toward us with a tray of tarts. He says, handing one tart to each of us, "Tikman niyo ito! Goyong, Isidro. Ikaw rin, (Y/N), tikman niyo ito. Ang sarap! Dali-dali, tikman niyo!"

Knowing that Julian will not stop until each of us does as he urges us on, we take a tart each and take a bite. And after just a bite, I immediately freeze. I look at Isidro and Goyo at once, realizing the taste of the tarts in an instant.

No... Hindi. Teka lang!

"(Y/N)!" I hear Goyo screams, but it is all too late.

The mango tarts pull me out of the game another time.

* * *

A/N: Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

#GoyoDeadReckoning || #GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

1.1K 129 13
Status: Complete We were told the love from a father is rare and if gotten should be cherished. I never knew I'd get mine with less stress. The love...
649 27 1
!!TRIGGER WARNING!! This story contains sensitive topics such as abuse and suicide attempts. These topics are not to be joked about or ignored! If yo...
219K 6.6K 37
If we are still in the 90's and someone will approach me and say "You're a descendant of a Goddess," I'll most likely answer "You need some serious h...
2.6K 124 62
Philippines, a girl who has a difficult past. She is going to an academy called "Countryhumans Academy" where countryhumans study. She will meet som...