Best Laid Plans (A Gentleman...

By thequietwriter

What could possibly go wrong next? With the recent drama of his family behind him, Lucas Bywood wants nothing... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Nineteen

1K 120 18
By thequietwriter

Much to my surprise, I was not turned away the moment the door opened. The butler invited me in and directed me to the drawing room where Mrs. Forester was holding court. Before I could reach that lady to make the appropriate greeting, I was intercepted by Miss Forester.

"Is it true?" she asked immediately. Her white gown swirled around her ankles as she came to a halt in front of me. She brought to mind a vengeful goddess seeking information.

Given how many days it had been since I had seen her, I hesitated. She could be asking after so many different things. Did she wish to know if it was true Ward had been married and had a daughter? Was she desirous to know if Ward earned his way in the world by his wits and skill at cards? Or had she heard about...

"We were informed that Conrad Ingram was murdered," she said bluntly. "And that the gentleman in charge if looking into the matter has questioned you and Mr. Ward."

"Yes, that much is true," I said. I was not surprised she had heard of it. Who in society would not have? Matrons, debutantes, and gentlemen alike all loved gossip.

"And?" There was a great deal of impatience in her tone. "What have you to do with Mr. Ingram? Were you friends? Enemies? Why were you singled out?"

Her indignation made me laugh. "We knew the man, though we were not close friends," I said as she glowered at me. "Mr. Appleton was merely speaking to us because it is his responsibility to do so."

"Then, Mr. Ward is not under suspicion?"

Her concern for my friend made me think there was still hope for a future for them both. If Ward managed to avoid getting blamed for the murder. "I believe Mr. Appleton is being thorough.

He has made no accusations."

Yet.

My answer made Miss Forester frown. "But that tells me nothing I don't already know. If you were not friends with the man, why should you be singled out to be questioned in front of everyone? It makes everyone think there is a reason."

How could I reassure and calm her when I had the same feelings? "You know Ward and I played a game of cards. It was Mr. Appleton's opinion that the outcome of that evening could have angered us. All will come outright, Miss Forester," I said, seeing her brother coming toward us. "That is all I can say at this time."

"Sarah, what do you think Grandmother will say if she sees you monopolizing Mr. Bywood so completely?" James Forester said, his tone reproving. "At least allow him into the room.

She raised her chin. "I do not have to explain myself to you. You would not understand even if I did." She spun and stalked away.

"I honestly don't know when she learned to be so dramatic," Forester said with a sigh. He shook his head and offered his hand. "Welcome, Bywood. It's good to see you."

"The pleasure is mine," I said, shaking his hand. "I will admit, I was surprised by the invitation."

"My grandmother insisted."

And wasn't that a terrifying thought. Why would the woman who had disapproved of me from our first conversation go out of her way to invite me? If anything, I had expected her to shun me for being associated with a murder. Also, I couldn't forget I was a friend to the man her granddaughter was interested in despite the family's opinions.

So why was I there?

"I find that rather alarming," I said honestly. "I have not been a favorite of your grandmother, and I have not done anything to change that. At least, nothing that I am aware of."

"I cannot claim to understand my grandmother's thinking." Forester shook his head. "I'd say go speak to her and get it over with, but I see she is speaking to Colonel Mayfield. It wouldn't do to interrupt them."

He stepped away to speak to another guest. Reaming near the edge of the room, I studied the guests. Miss Forester put on a convincing cheerful face for everyone gathered. Watching her, if I hadn't had her question me particularly, I never would have suspected she was out of countenance.

In front of the fireplace, Mrs. Forester was in close conversation with the colonel as Forester had said. Miss Forester was speaking to a well-dressed young woman I did not recognize. There was a sour-faced older woman glaring at the pair as though she disapproved of them.

Since neither Miss Forester or her brother had offered to introduce me to the others, I stepped closer to the ladies. "Good evening," I said with a smile.

"Oh, Mr. Bywood, please forgive my distraction," Miss Forester said immediately. "What a poor hostess I am. Lady Leith, this is Mr. Lucas Bywood who is also a visitor to Bath. Mr. Bywood, this is Lady Celia Leith."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," I said, nodding.

"Likewise," Lady Leith said with a kind smile. She glanced over her shoulder. "I would present you to my mother-in-law, the dowager, but I don't think she is in the mood for any introduction at the moment."

"Mr. Bywood," Mrs. Forester called out, getting my attention. She also drew the attention of everyone else in the room. "Do come here. It will be a few more minutes before we go in to dinner. Our last guest has not yet arrived."

Wishing someone had offered me a drink, I crossed the room. Once I was in front of my hostess, I made a bow. "Thank you for the invitation this evening, ma'am," I said as I straightened. "I am honored."

"The colonel was just telling me you intend on improving your new estate," Mrs. Forester said bluntly. "Is this true?"

Why did she care? "I am flattered by your interest, ma'am," I said, choosing my words carefully. "Pearsend has been a unique challenge presented to me. I believe I can do some good now that I own it."

"The colonel says it is known as a ruin and that only a fool would think it could be salvaged. Especially by a green boy who hasn't the first idea of what to do."

He had said that, had he? I glanced at the older man who looked guilty. He used his cane to lever himself out of the chair. "I shall see if I cannot get a smile out of the dowager," he said. "She looks as though she might bite them any second now."

"I would say ruin is an exaggeration, ma'am," I said as the colonel limped away. "As to being green, I freely admit to being such. Which is why I have sought the advice of those who have been in my shoes. The colonel offered me excellent advice."

Mrs. Forester eyed me with a narrowed expression. "I admire your determination, Mr. Bywood," she said, much to my surprise. "It isn't many who would do the honorable thing and not try to hand it off on someone unsuspecting. Sit down so that you don't give an old woman a stiff neck."

Astonished, I obliged her. "My apologies. I did not want to presume-"

She waved a hand, cutting me off. "I suppose you're still keeping company with that Ward person."

"Of course," I said as another guest was shown into the room. "He has been a loyal friend and I am here because he invited me to accompany him."

It was Mr. Appleton.

"I foresee a most entertaining meal," Mrs. Forester said as she stood up. "Mr. Appleton, thank you for joining us. I do hope you can set all of our minds at ease tonight. Do be my escort into the meal."

The rest of us were left to sort out for ourselves. I was left with Miss Forester on one arm and the sour-faced woman on the other. Were the numbers uneven on purpose, or had Mrs. Forester done so on purpose? I would not put it past her to do what she wanted for whatever aim she had in mind.

My seat was in between Lady Leith and Miss Forester. Miss Forester's attention was on Mr. Appleton who was on her other side. That left me to converse with Lady Leith. "Have you been in Bath long, my lady?" I asked as the first course was served.

"Nearly a month," Lady Leith said, dipping her spoon into her soup. "I am looking forward to returning to my husband's estate in a few days."

"I share your feelings," I said, delighted to have found at least something small to have in common with her. "I came to Bath to enjoy myself, but I find myself missing the country. I hope to leave soon as well."

Lady Leith sent a glance to where her mother-in-law was sitting. "I had looked forward to visiting Bath again," she said in a low voice. "The dowager was not as pleased and that, naturally, took away from my enjoyment. We have not gone about as much as I had expected we would."

"I participated in a card game and came away with a sorry excuse for an estate," I said, keeping my tone just above a whisper. "I decided to try and improve it instead of taking advantage of someone unsuspecting. I have been termed a fool and I have no idea what I am doing."

She raised an eyebrow even as she fought back a smile. "Are we competing for who has had it worse?"

"If we are, shall we agree we are evenly matched?"

The lady laughed softly. "Agreed." Her face paled and she shifted her gaze to her soup.

When I glanced up, I saw the dowager glaring at us both. "My apologies for drawing unwanted attention," I said quietly. "I have been accused of being too focused on levity."

"The dowager does not approve of me or anything I do, so there is no need to take on any blame."

I waited a few sips of soup before saying, "I have changed my mind. You win. I bow before your misfortune and offer my sincere condolences. I shall happily take my derelict estate and confusion over a disapproving parent."

The corner of her mouth quirked up as though she was fighting a smile. Before she could say anything, the conversation beside us claimed all of our attention. "Miss Forester, I cannot tell you anything more," Mr. Appleton said to my right. His tone was frustrated. "The investigation is still ongoing. That is all I can say on the matter. Please stop questioning me."

"Come now, sir," Miss Forester said impatiently. "It is well known you have sought out several of Mr. Ingram's acquaintances on multiple occasions in the past few days. You must know that rumors are rife."

"I cannot control what people speculate about or talk about."

"Sarah, really," Forester said with a forced laugh. "What kind of conversation is this during dinner?"

"We are all interested, James," Mrs. Forester said reprovingly. "After all, who wishes a murderer to go free? Mr. Appleton, surely there must be something you can tell us to allay any fears we may have."

It was difficult to believe her fearful of anything. "Ma'am, I cannot." Mr. Appleton's tone was cold. "The facts will come out at the inquest, which will happen in a few days."

"But you would tell us if we had to worry about our acquaintance, would you not?"

"Ma'am, I am sure you have no need to worry about your friends and family."

I almost felt sorry for the man. Who wanted to be invited to a meal and be interrogated about something one cannot speak of? But, to be honest, what had he expected? Why else would he be invited here? It was obvious he had no prior acquaintance with anyone here.

"Conrad Ingram was a rogue and rake, and an utterly terrible individual," the dowager said loudly. "I don't know why anyone is even bothered by his death. No one is really sorry and if they are, they are idiots."

There was a moment of silence. "Exactly, my lady!" Miss Forester exclaimed. "I have yet to meet anyone who had anything complimentary to say about the man. It's a wonder he was allowed into society as much as he was disliked."

"Just because he was not liked does not mean we can just allow a murderer to go unpunished," Mr. Appleton said sharply. "I have a few leads I am looking into. The criminal shall not be allowed to escape."

"Well, I think it terrible that any person would allow rumors to spread without taking the time to counter them when it is his power to do so," Miss Forester said boldly.

"Sarah," Forester said with a forced laugh. "You're making too much of the thing. As Mr. Appleton has said, he has spoken to many who had associated with Mr. Ingram. You cannot take offense that he chose to speak to By wood and Ward."

I dared to glance down the table. Mrs. Forester was glancing around with a smile. All the goodwill I had felt for having earned her approval earlier vanished. She'd said she foresaw an entertaining evening. Is this what she had meant? Was she really amused by her own granddaughter's ire? What had she hoped to gain?

"Miss Forester, you make a fine champion," I said loudly. I dipped my spoon into my soup. "Any man would be thankful and honored to have you on their side. I will make sure Ward hears of this."

A long moment of silence followed my words. I felt Forester's glare on me without looking, and I suspected my hostess was doing the same. So much for being on Mrs. Forester's good side.

"Good," Miss Forester said. "It has been too many days since I have seen him."

"I did not realize the young lady was intimately attached to the gentleman," Mr. Appleton said mildly.

"She's not," Forester said even as his sister boldly said, "I intend on marrying him the moment he asks me."

This entire conversation was convoluted and had no place in the dining room. poor Lady Leith was looking confused. The dowager appeared far too interested in what was going on. Colonel Mayfield was focused on the food in front of him.

"Has anyone heard the latest from France?" I asked loudly.

Because war was a much better topic for discussion over dinner. Mother would give up all hope for me if she ever heard about this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 311 45
**Unedited** "She can't come to the phone right now. I'll be happy to take a message for you." My blood runs cold. "Where is she? What have you done...
18.9K 1K 21
In Regency England, young governess Violet is much to used to being on her own, with only her pupils at the Langley estate to keep her company. But w...
9.5K 1.1K 22
Trusting the wrong man has consequences. Once an Incomparable debutante of Bath society, Miss Rose Dunbar's life has been turned upside down. She has...
404K 9.6K 27
Riley considered herself fat. From the comments her "Family" and "pack" made. She almost hated herself. On Riley's birthday her mate Lucas rejects he...