The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

The Scent of a Trap

1K 46 4
By Skipology

Khaana sat in a tent, laying on the ground n furs. Resting on her back she watched the roof of the tent.

Arms crossed while she was lost in thought. She got herself into this little mess, but she would certainly need help getting out.

Rûnhild, the shieldmaiden who had taken Khaana to Gnupa, entered into the tent quietly. She rested a large bowel of water near Khaana and next to it a loaf of bread.

Rûnhild watched Khaana carefully and made sure to keep a safe distance. Khaana chuckled a smirk coming to her face. "Dear, what have they told you that makes you so afraid?" She asked.

Khaana looked up at Rûnhild and raised a brow "you are a shieldmaiden, yes? Why are you afraid?" She asked again as she stayed silent.

"I am not to talk to you. My lord Ironside says you are a witch." Rûnhild said.

Khaana laughed "a witch? That would make me harmless. Witches heal, they take care of the land, beast and earth. A witch won't harm you - as long as she isn't threatened." Khaana said.

Khaana's smile fell "I will take the heart of all who keep me bound and being the scent of death, should I be held captive." She said.

Rûnhild trembled, "the hounds will eat those left." Khaana added.

A short burst of laughter came from behind Rûnhild as Skorpa entered the tent. "Go back to your man, girl. Before, the so called witch makes you shit yourself." He said.

Rûnhild glared at Skorpa, "we were talking." She said, Skorpa pushed by her as if to push her out of the way and sneered. "And you have talked enough, leave us." He said.

Rûnhild scowled but did as she was told.

Khaana found herself alone with Skorpa, she watched him as he sat next to her on the ground, a small basket in his arms. "I've brought you suitable food, not that sorry bread my father feeds the prisoners." He said swatting away the dry hard bread loaf given to her.

Placing the basket on the ground he removed a cloth revealing fire roasted horse meat, fresher bread and an apple.

Khaana carefully plucked the apple from the basket and held it up to Skorpa, who instantly took a bite. "I swear it is not poison." He said.

Khaana let out a short hum in reply. "You should be kinder to Rûnhild." Khaana murmured. Carefully she pushed away her basket "you say there are prisoners?  Take what you have brought me and feed those that are children or those that are women, I will not eat while captive here." She said.

Skorpa watched her mildly confused " Why worry for prisoners?" He asked "Why waste a small feast on them?"

Khaana turned her back to Skorpa as she lay on her side "Why waste my words on he who won't  listen to me?" She asked him.

Skorpa frowned "....it shall be done." He said with a light bow of his head. Khaana kept her back to him, listening as he got to his feet and walked out of the tent.

Khaana curled up it a ball for warmth and closed her eyes. She thought of Ragnar, she had cut of the connection at a bad time. But would it be wise to contact him now? What good would it be to worry him further?

He still didn't know however about what had befallen his family.

Then again spending so much of her strength to connect with him, would make it hard to protect herself from these danes that wished to hand her over to Ubba.

"What to do." Khaana thought grumbling to herself in her mind.

The flaps to the tent opened letting I a soft gust of cold air rush in. "Ironside wishes to see you again." Rûnhild's voice called.

Khaana sat up and watched as the shieldmaiden held ropes in her hands. Rûnhild followed Khaana's gaze. "I'm sorry...he makes me to do it." She said.

"We've all someone we answer to, I will not blame you." Khaana sighed raising her arms to allow Rûnhild to bind her.

As Khaana was lead through the camp towards Gnupa's large tent in the center, Skorpa exited the small shelter built for the prisoners. A scowl flashed across his face as he watched Rûnhild lead Khaana.

He pulled free his dagger and strode after them quickly.

"She should not be bound, she has the eyes of Fenrir, Sköll and Hati. One would not dare to bind them and neither should you but her in ropes." Skorpa warned snatching the rope lead away from Rûnhild.

"You're  father has ordered me too. You should not disobey him, you are not on your lands Skorpa. You are not in command." Rûnhild snapped back at him.

Khaana watched them with a bored expression. "Lead me onward or cut me free." She sighed. "I do not have time to listen to pups bark at each other." Khaana lulled in a dry tone.

The two danes glared at each other in silence. "She will lead you..." Skorpa grumbled. Still he went to run his dagger across the ropes. "Unbound." He said.

"Then you must come with me, I will not explain to Ironside why I've not bound her. I will not take the blame." Rûnhild said.

Khaana's eyes caught a glimpse of familiar colors painted on the shield of a bald Dane heading for Ironside's tent.

"Ubba's man..." Khaana thought, her eyes wandered about the camp. Surely he would not send a single man to retrieve her, she could easily escape just one escort.

Skorpa watched as Khaana looked about. "What is it you see?" Rûnhild asked.

"I see a single one of Ubba's warriors. Tell me, how many more did he send?" Khaana asked.

"Just one, he is to guide us to Ubba's lands so that we might return you." Rûnhild explained. "And how much is his reward for me? What did he promise, to him that captures  me for him?"

Khaana's question cause Skorpa to grimace "you think something's foul?" He asked her.

Khaana chuckled "I've slain more than 50 men in the length of time it takes to take 3 breaths. What fool would send a single man to retrieve me?" She reasoned.

"Your Gnupa Ironside, is blinded by the promise of wealth, reasonably easy wealth. Ubba knows I kill no one I dot have to and he would have told those who step forward this as well. That is why Ironside was so foolish in the face of me." Khaana sighed her eyes glancing over the surrounding forest.

"But it also means, Ironside has not prepared to fight. Ubba will not be paying an excessive amount of money to an ill old man who is only getting worse by the week." Khaana said.

Skorpa raised a brow and lowered his voice to a whisper "you think we've been had?" He asked.

"I think Ubba is to in love with his silver to give it away. Even for me." Khaana nodded towards the trees. "You will see...Ubba foes not act quickly. Waiting will allow Ironside's men to travel farther, getting me closer to his lands before he strikes. Means less work for him. But tell...who ordered me bound?" Khaana said.

"Our lord said it was Ubba's command to bind your hands, feet and mouth. He said it would weaken your powers." Rûnhild said.

Khaana chuckled "it does nothing but keep me still." She said in amusement. "Which works in his favor should he raid the camp to take me. I could not flee in the chaos." She said.

Skorpa and Rûnhild looked to each other. "Keep up your guard, we will see what tomorrow will bring." Khaana said, she nodded up to Ironside's tent. "Lead me forward - let's see what your lord wants." She sighed.

_________________________________

"She is not bound? Are you fools?" Ironside growled as Khaana and the two Danes stood before him. "She was lord..." Rûnhild murmured.

"She was and it was unfitting, so now she is not." Skorpa cut in.

Ironside narrowed his eyes. "You are among my men, my warriors. I am becoming feeble but you will listen to me." He growled towards Skorpa, who rolled his eyes.

"Why have you asked for me?" Khaana asked, head held high and eyes expressionless.

"I wished to look at you. You are an odd beauty - but still a beauty. Why should Ubba get you gaze upon you til his last days. I put in the work to capture you for him - I should have the chance to gaze upon the beauty the gods crafted for their bidding." Ironside said.

"You did not capture me. Your men did. Five of them. If any man should gander - it is them, not you." As Khaana spoke a frown grew across Ironside's face and Rûnhild tried not to chuckle.

"She has a point father, they have all worked to get here here, to get us here.  You called me and my men from across the waters. These shores are cruel and my Oarmen deserve reward." Skorpa mused, he knew his father well and if it's one thing he loved to keep for himself - it was women.

Ironside sneered. "Never, would you have me cursed by parading her about the camp?" He asked.

Skorpa shrugged.

"You two are dismissed." Ironside said waving Rûnhild and Skorpa away. Rûnhild did as she was told, sending a last glance to Skorpa. He did not move, rather he planted his feet to hold his ground and crossed his arms.

"I am not leaving, if only to make sure you do not damage the very reason you've  called all of us here. Should Ubba find her...sullied, he will kill us all." Skorpa said.

Ironside scrunched up his face as if he were a child on the verge of throwing a tantrum.

"You will be rid of your close." Ironside ordered. Khaana laughed, she looked up at Skorpa "I am going back to my tent" She told him. Skorpa smirked and gave a bow of his head. Khaana turned her back to Ironside and headed for the open of his tent.

"You will not turn your back to me witch!" Ironside shouted. "I believe she already has." Skorpa snickered, following after her.

Back at her tent while Khaana lay among the furs on the floor Skorpa sat down a fair distance from her, sword stabbed into the earth.  He quietly watched her a faint smile on his face.

"Why are you stayed here?" She asked him. "You will need a guarantee that no man will sneak in through the night. I will guard you." He said.

Khaana threw him a sideways glance and raised a brow. "Which can be done from outside." She said.

Skorpa chuckled, "I find myself fascinated by you. Your eyes are wild like wolves, you move with the power of a war horse and you smell of a pyre a good death." He said.

Skorpa then gave her a smirk "and my feeble father is right. You have beauty." He hummed.

Khaana gave him a flat gaze and turned her back to him "so long as you keep your distance. Ubba isn't the only one put there who feels I'm his in some way." She said.

Skorpa laughed "my intentions are not that of my fathers. I merely wish to gaze upon and marvel. I am contemt to dream of what your gift will allow me to accomplish." He said.

Khaana closed her eyes and tried to find sleep. She had two days to escape and get back to Uhtred and Brida before they would try and plea to Ubba alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29K 1.8K 10
She was a dream, the calm in the storm, since being a babe, the youngest of her siblings, Young Ragnar, Uhtred and Thyra. A girl much too gentle, her...
13.2K 296 17
[completed] If you stood before the Gods at this very moment, would they name you worthy of their domain? Would they look upon the fear you've caused...
58 1 19
"A Guardian who's told he's the heir, the chosen one with all the answers, a world who's memories are altered and the Slaad lords that bring war." ...
49.5K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...