Protecting and Healing You

By rachel_dulay

{completed} On the one of the craziest nights in New York, a fire had taken place that afternoon, a riot at n... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Bonus Chapter.

Chapter 16.

1.5K 47 3
By rachel_dulay

"By the state of New York I hereby give full custody of Nellie Bruno to Leo Hughes, effective immediately"The judge ruled before banging her gavel. Nellie immediately jumps off the chair and into Leo's arms. He chuckles as he lifts her up and hugs her tightly.

Finley and I walk up to the two "Congratulations"I greet Leo as he wraps his arm around me.

"Thank you beautiful"he kisses the side of my head as his mother and Isla come over. We all congratulate Leo and Nellie before exiting the courtroom.

"Well shall we head to lunch?"Leo asks as we walk out of the courthouse. We all nod, agreeing. Amelia couldn't be here cause she took my shift so I could be here, but I told Leo that she congratulates him and Nellie.

"Ready to head to lunch pumpkin?" Leo smiles down at Nellie, she was swinging back and forth while holding both Leo and I's hands.

"Yep!" She says excitedly. I smile at her.

I loved how in the recent weeks Leo has been calling Nellie pumpkin, I thought it was adorable when I first heard him say it. We were heading to lunch rather then dinner tonight because we'd be heading off to Vermont for Cooper and Jane's wedding which is taking place this weekend.

"Daddy do you think they'll have Shepard pie?" Nellie asks as he lifts her up and sets her on his hip as we wait for a cab. We were heading to Serendipity 3, Leo would think it would be a good place to celebrate.

I smile at Nellie at the fact she calls him daddy "I don't know pumpkin, we'll have to see"He says.

"We'll meet you guys at the restaurant" Stephanie nods at us as a cab car stops in front of them.

"Yea, reservations under my name"Leo tells his mother. She nods.

We soon got our own cab and the three of us slide into the back as Finley slides into the passenger seat. Nellie sat between us, very giddy and full of energy.

I listened to the two boys conversation with Nellie as we rode to the restaurant.

"Alright, who's hungry"Finley says as he closed the cab door behind me.

"Me!"Nellie raises her hand jumping up and down.

"Alright ma'am lets get going"He says and extends his hand out. Nellie takes it before the two walk into the restaurant.

Leo wraps his arm around my waist and stops me from following the two "Hey"He says, I look up at him "I love you" He says. I smile.

"I love you too"I say back. He kisses me quickly before we enter the restaurant.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are my two favourite girls ready for breakfast?" Leo asks leaning on the door of the bathroom.

Nellie and I look at him and nod. I quickly set Nellie on her feet considering she was sitting on the bathroom counter watching me curl my hair. I unplug the hair curler before we exit the hotel room. We got to the hotel last night after taking the train from New York.

"Can I have pancakes?" Nellie asks as we walk down the stairs, Leo and I hand in hand as Nellie walks a front of us, skipping down the steps.

"Yea with lots of syrup I hope"I tease to Nellie, she giggles.

"Wow hey there sticky fingers"Leo says as he picks Nellie up "Not to much remember all those drawings from last week"He gives her a pointed look and she mirrors it.

"Fine"she pouts as we walk into the dinning area of the hotel for breakfast. Luckily there were pancakes for Nellie and she immediately and eagerly demanded those be the top priority.

"Are you excited to watch your brother get married?" Leo asks me as I help Nellie cut her pancake. I nod.

"I am, it's weird kinda of but I mean he's known Jane since high school"I shrug.

"And both your brothers are coming?" He asks taking a sip of his coffee. Originally it was just suppose to be Archie that attended, Isaiah would be over seas but god knows how he flew in late last night and would surprise both Cooper and Jane at the wedding of course.

"Yep, Isaiah should probably still be sleeping but Archie assured me he'd wake him up"I say to my boyfriend.

"Should I be scared of Archie?" Leo asks. He had never met Archie before. I laugh.

"Archie? No way. He's the biggest teddy bear ever, plus Isaiah likes you and he's the hardest brother to impress"

"Are you lying? I can't tell, the family is the military at this point"

"I'm not lying"I stare at him and he slowly nods.

"Okay"he trails off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride"The priest smiles at my brother and his new wife. Archie quickly throws me a confetti popper and we nod before popping them open. It scared the newly wed.

Instead of the normal coloured confetti beautiful white pieces flew out, that was my idea.

"I hate you guys"Cooper chuckles at the three of us. I smile at my brother before he walks down the aisle as a married man. Archie hooked arms with Jane's maid of honour before I hooked arms with Isaiah.

"Nice touch on the confetti"He nudges me as we walk down the aisle. I smile. "Also your gonna have to catch me up on the whole Leo and Nellie situation"I nod.

Isaiah has briefly met Nellie as we were getting ready.

"And who's idea was it to invite Jason?" I ask my brother. He stiffens as we exit the ceremony area.

"She didn't tell you?" He asks talking about jane.

"Okay I get that he's Samantha's brother and shit but Jane isn't friends with him"

"May I remind you that it was you and Jason who basically got Jane and Cooper together" My brother points out.

"So she invited him out of pity?"

"When was the last time you talked to him?" He asks.

"Since the last time he cheated on me"I spit out. We stop at the bottom of the stairs of the reception area, staring at each other. "Do you honestly forget the pain that boy brought me? Our relationship for five years was a lie Isaiah"

"Okay I understand" He starts.

"I'm in a god damn good place right now, and I don't need him to fuck it up for me"I say before leaving him standing there and walking into the reception area.

We took some pictures outside considering the wedding was taken place in a beautiful venue by the lake and a forest.

Soon the wedding actually began.

"Lovely wedding"Leo says as he approaches me with Nellie. I nod agreeing as I pick Nellie up and place her on my hip.

"It was"

"And I think the best part was your confetti"He says and kisses my cheek. I laugh.

"I don't understand why people keep complementing me about that" he shrugs as he snakes an arm around my waist.

"Hey man"Isaiah says coming up to us. Leo nods at him. "How about you and I get a drink?" My brother asks him. My boyfriend looks at me and I shrug.

"Yea sure, your good to watch Nellie right?" Leo asks me and I nod. I watch the two as they head over to the bar.

"Well Wanna dance?" I ask Nellie.

"Yay!" She claps her hands and I laugh before making my way to the dance floor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was far into the night and surprisingly Nellie was still wide awake and dancing with Leo.

I was talking to my mom "it's a shame Amelia couldn't make it" Mom sighs. I nod.

"She was very upset too but couldn't find anyone to cover for her"

"She's still coming to the party back in New York isn't she?" Mom asks as I take a sip of my wine.

"Yea she is, don't worry"I laugh. I look over at Leo and Nellie quickly. Nellie was standing on Leo's feet as he danced the two of them around, I guess he got tired of hunching over so he picks her up and dances around with her in his arms. I smile at the two as they talk and laugh.

Mom quickly follows my gaze "I think he's going to be a great father" Mom comments.

"He already is one, he became a father the second he saw that little girl" I tell her.

"He's remarkable that's for sure"She nods "must be weird on your relationship"

"Why?" I question her.

"He's now a single father and she's only like four or younger, you two aren't married"

"Mom"I shake my head and finally look at her. "You don't have to worry, I think Leo and I are fine"I assure her. She smiles at me before nodding slowly.

"I'm going to go find your father"She tells me. I nod and watch her leave but when my eyes settled in front of me again I was shocked and soon disgusted by the body sitting in front of me.

"Hear me out before you leave"Jason quickly says.

"Why should I stay?" I question him, my hand tightening around my glass of wine.

"Because I never got to say what I wanted after you ran out on me"

I laugh "I ran out on you because you cheated throughout our whole relationship Jason, I'm sorry but do you know the definition of a relationship? Because"

"Okay"he sighs "I'm sorry"

"Sorry won't fix it Jason, sorry won't fix the lies and betrayal"

"Julie"

"You broke my heart"I spit out, tears welled up in my eyes. "I trusted you and yet you betrayed me from the beginning" He looks at me and opens his mouth to say something.

"I'm in a good place right now Jason, no thanks to you"

"Julie" suddenly I hear a light laugh coming my way. I look to my left to see Nellie running over to me.

"Daddy says to come dance!"she says excitedly as she reaches for my hands and practically pulls me out of my seat.

"Okay I'm coming"I laugh. I turn to Jason.

"I hope your happy with the decision you made because I never was but now I am" I spit at him. He looks at me and down at Nellie.

"Julie!" She yells, I look down at Nellie and nod. I pick her up and set her on my hip as I walk over to Leo.

"You okay?" He quickly asks me as he places a hand on my back and looks over at Jason. I look over my shoulder quickly.

"Yea I'm okay"Leo looks down at me.

"Should I tell him your boyfriend is a cop?" He teases.

"No"I shake my head and laugh. "It's okay"I assure him. He kisses my forehead before tilting my chin up and kissing me on the lips.

"Ewww!" Nellie yells and we pull away laughing. Nellie quickly slides down my body "daddy! Dance!" She yells happily as she grabs both our hands. I laugh and Leo takes my other hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Will you two be alright?" Cooper asks as I shrug on my shawl that matched my dress.

"Yea we'll be fine. Our hotel isn't far"I tell my brother. He nods.

"Okay I'll see you back in New York" I nod.

"Congratulations Bro, love you"I smile at him and kiss his cheek. He thanks me before I move onto Jane and hug her. Leo says goodbye and quick congratulations to the newly wed before we exited the reception area.

"I'm surprised she's lasted this long"Leo gestures to Nellie as we make our way to the hotel, she was asleep in his arms.

"Honestly me too"I chuckle. We thankfully made it to the hotel and as I walked into the bathroom, Leo laid Nellie down. I hear him come towards the bathroom.

"What?" I ask my boyfriend.

"Who was that guy from earlier tonight?" He asks, crossing his arms and leaning on the door.

He's gone full cop mode.

"An old friend" I try out. He raises an eyebrow at me. "An old acquaintance?" He tilts his head to the side. I sigh "we dated for six years"

He stares at me and I stare at him back, he was silently telling me to go on "He was cheating on me for six years"

"Julie" He sighs.

"The motherfucker blames me for running out on him"I shake my head in disbelief before I scoff "me running out on him how pathetic, he ran out before anything"I shake my head.

"Julie"Leo says and grips my arms gently. "It doesn't matter what he's said okay, but I'm gonna kiss his ass if he confronts you ever again"

"I know it's just I got so angry cause he lied and betrayed me for years and yet I didn't notice"I sigh. I didn't know I was crying until Leo wipes my cheek away.

"Hey, things happen for the better. You've got me now and I will never ever do what he did to you"I nod.

"I know"I cry out and he gives me a soft smile "and I'm just so lucky to have you"I sigh. His smile gets wider before I lean into him and hug him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 34 12
WARNING: Rated Mature for Sexual content, Language, Violence and Drug use. **Long Chapters** Two weeks. Two years. Who cares?" A lesson in love, c...
302K 9.3K 41
"You have lost your mind, what the hell do you think you're doing?" She yells at me. "Don't start with me." "I'm not starting shit, Elijah! This was...
95.8K 5.7K 38
" Oh fuck!!" "Little one, I don't think it suits a baby to curse." " Hey!! Who are you calling little? I am a big girl. Can't you see?? " she hissed...
55.5K 2.9K 32
"Jake couldn't stop his eyes from dropping to my body. His gaze lingered on my curves, his face thirsting for something more than the spilled coffee...