The Fragility of Fate ✔️

By TheSanguineSongbird

• Completed • • Highest Ranking #2 Paranormal October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #4 Romance October 2020 • ... More

Author's Note
01 | Patience
02 | Primal
04 | In Dreams
05 | Broken
06 | On Edge
07 | Uncertainty
08 | Longing
09 | Burdens
10 | Mine
11 | Repercussions
12 | Truths
13 | Allegory
14 | Soliloquy
15 | Snakes
16 | Flourish
17 | Queen
18 | Glory
19 | Cheers
20 | Futile
21 | Spellbound
22 | Revelations
23 | Confessional
24 | Concede
25 | Alliance
26 | Ascend
27 | Ascend II
28 | Unravel
29 | Reach the Moon
30 | Whispers
31 | Dissension
32 | Run
33 | Lost
34 | The Darkness
35 | Tempest
36 | Cutthroat
37 | Free
38 | Linger
39 | Goodbye
40 | Afterglow

03 | Her

5.5K 268 57
By TheSanguineSongbird

23:49

Leaving Eliza to stay the night, I headed back downstairs. Trying not to make too much noise, I bypassed the kitchen, taking a swig of bourbon that instantly sent my blood hot like lava down it's torrent. Leaving the bottle on the bench, I continued out onto the front steps. It was almost silent. I took in the view before me, that although cloaked in darkness, was still something to behold.

The beauty of Cross Rivers was that we had the lush wilderness from the North, views of snow capped mountains from the East and the rivers that weaved through each territory like veins to where I happened to lead: the heart of it all. Running my fingers through my hair, I listened to the song of the cicatas fade as I gave my beast permission to claw out into the night.

It was time for a new dawn.

~

As planned, my team congregated at our territory boundary line at 24:00 sharp. James had left earlier in one of our trucks, standing by at the Shadow Moon border awaiting our arrival. Doing so meant he could keep an eye on Jacob's potential movements and keep us posted via mind link.

As a slight breeze flickered through my wolf's thick sepia coloured coat, James came through, "Gabe. No movements, but his scent is strong. He's here alright. Ready when you are."

I closed my eyes, and with a sharp inhale, sniffed at the air before mind-linking the others that stood before me. "It's time."  With sharp nods of understanding we set off towards what was left of the Shadow Moon Pack, my wolf snarling in anticipation for the moment he had been waiting for...

Like the drumming of a tribal rhythm, our paws pounded the damp earth for what seemed like hours. We had crossed through rivers, passing through two neighboring territories, and vast expanses of forest that never seemed to end. It was a long journey, but that had to be done.

I could tell we were getting closer by the unease my wolf was feeling. As the forest slowly began to thin, my wolf's shackles began to thicken. "What's your problem? It's only Jacob, and he is an easy target for us. For you."

Slowly our pace settled as we spotted James awaiting our arrival. Standing casually against his truck by the fringes of the once flourishing pack land he smirked at my wolf, "What took you so long princess?"

"Fucking hair and makeup James, what else?" Letting out a chuckle, we all looked down to the valley below. I could tell it had once been a beautiful territory. Such a shame. It was different to Cross Rivers, the landscape. Surrounded by evergreen, the town seemed somewhat bygone... I imagined the glory and old age charm that was once the soul of this place. Now, it was just a broken monolith to their past. I let out a sigh as I momentarily mourned for their pack knowing that not only would there be no resurrection here, there would only be more bloodshed.

Eyeing the Rogues patrolling in the distance, I stifled a snarl, angry on behalf of those who lost so much. First their Alpha in childbirth, and then faced with the choice of their land or their lives. It had become a ghost town, decimated by greed and a flagrant disregard to the suffering of others. One of the strongest packs had been flattened in an instant, a cruel warning of how quickly tides can turn.

"Neve, you're leading north-east, James, start south-west and disperse the surrounds. We stalk in linear to the kill zone, distract and attack just like we planned, but leave him for me."

Overlooking our ambush site, my wolf stood by our command post near the truck. Using the vantage point to overlook Rogue movement and our attack, we waited for our opening. Time stood still, but it was imperative that I got this right. This was it. This was our one chance to redeem my father and I wasn't going to waste it. Ears twitching and eyes fixated in anticipation, our opportunity was now. Signalling the start of the onslaught with a guttural howl, I set him loose in an act of pure transcension.

Howls erupted across the valley, our opening battle cries quaking the Earth with it's ferocity. Using the cloak of darkness, we barreled down the mountainous landscape at speed that made me lose sight of every thing beyond my immediate line of vision. In a matter of seconds, my wolf seized the moment to launch into the haunches of one of the unsuspecting Rogues who was too distracted by the incoming insurgence to look behind him.

My focus was impenetrable, hearing nothing except the racing heart beat of my kill. Seeing nothing but the shock in his eyes as he swiftly turned to meet my raging form. Blinded by fear, my kill attempted to scramble, snapping his jaws vehemently hoping to make contact. Blood flooded my vision as I snapped his neck between my jaws. The grating of his bones vibrating through my veins as I feel the air leave his body. The moment only further fuels my bloodlust. My wolf relishing the chance to give a death roll, savagely shaking his limp and mutilated form before tossing it in the dirt. That's what you get for being a filthy Rogue.

Sweat beads danced on my forehead like summer rain as I surged on, pummeling the ground with each stride forward. My gaze diverting from one battle to the next, each of my warriors locked in their own quest for dominance. I spot one Rogue heading for the safety of the forest, too cowardly to fight, choosing to flee instead. My wolf giving chase like a cat to a mouse, snapping his heels in unquenchable hunger.

Bustling between fallen logs, the Rogue charged towards the charred remains of the pack house by the forest's edge. My wolf edging on him, dust flicking in his eyes with each step closer.

And then it hit me. As the Rogue continued on it's gutless getaway, my wolf stopped dead in our tracks, a forlorn howl escaping his jaws. Looking up at the cloud covered moon, a nervous unease overcame us both. My mate. She is here.

Maintaining my wolf form, I let him take the lead as he bolted towards the pack house. Thud. Thud... Thud. Hearing the faintest heart beat, my wolf nudged the door of the pack house open before James' intrusion on my thoughts, "Gabe, something is wrong. The Rogues are retreating. They're leaving. Where the fuck are you?!"

Not even registering the urgency of his questioning, I could focus on nothing but the smell that overcome me. Sweat. Honey. Blood.

A cascade of cracks echoed off the timber walls as I shifted back into myself. I all but threw each foot through pants that were left behind by some poor fool in his own moment of haste by the front door. Panic overcame me as I fought back the urge to rip through each abandoned room to find her. Trying to step with caution and not throw all logic out the fucking window, I scanned the hallway before making my way through to the living area. What was once the heart of this pack had been trashed. A torn lounge, smashed ornaments and upended shelving that left books and but a few photographs littering the floor like deciduous leaves in autumn.

~

"The fuck is this?!"
"James, get the others now! I'm in the pack house!"

Bile rising in my throat, I begin to panic. Losing all rationale of why we infiltrated this place to begin with, all I can think is, it wasn't supposed to be like this.

The smell. I smell her.

My pulse quickening like rapid fire, eyes darting in the blackened emptiness. Where? Who? Mate.

Narrowing in on the faintest dew drops of honey, I try to focus. For fuck's sake, think God damn it!

Making my way to the first door I see on my left, I push it open gently with my shoulder. A breath I didn't even know I was holding releases as I find that aside from furniture, the room is empty.

A few steps further in seemed to mirror a few steps further into my own pit of despair. This isn't fucking good. A second door to my right is shut. Carefully, I place my hand over the cold, brass handle and turn it until the door creaks open.

My eyes take in the window frame and the bed as I adjust to the darkness, before my gaze falls to the form huddled in the corner on the floor.

Rushing to her in an instinctive need to protect, I fall to my knees and caress her matted, auburn hair. No, no, no, no, no. Leaning closely over her lithe frame, I make out a faint but present heart beat. Stay with me. Come on. Fuck!

As if a single touch could break her, I gently turn her over, horror unfolding at the sight before me. An uncontained wail escapes my lips, desperately stroking her cheek in a panic induced attempt to bring her out of unconsciousness. Bruises covered her skin like hail in a storm, purple blotches that hid the deeper damage that I could smell under her skin. Jacob.

Holding her to my chest, I try to contain the rage threatening to spill like the spewing of molten magma. My cries of agony becoming strangled by confusion, grief and pain. I need to get her out of here.

Keeping her close against me, I stand and turn to the door. Hold on for me, please, hold on.

Thank you for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 515 17
"Darling." He smirked and eyed my lips. "Promises can be broken." "I don't break promises," I aimed to assure. "I know because I know you." He stretc...
157K 9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...
1.1M 25.2K 36
Just when he thought he had the most out of his life - a career as a doctor and alpha lupus to a strong pack in the west. Keegan Lucas is still miss...
939K 27.8K 31
"Slowly, little moon-- I'm not going anywhere." ***** Marked wolves were the only wolves that could conceive an A...