Eddie on the Edge of Everythi...

By Jules_Haigler

Orphaned Eddie is gifted a wish from the oldest star in the galaxy. Chased across space by wish-hunters and a... More

Author's Note
Dedication
1: Starlight
2: The Aunts from Hell
3: A Star Dies
4: A Most Mysterious Thing
5: The Wish-Hunter
6: The Cloak to Many Places
7: Celeste
8: Stella, The Octopus
9: The First Wish
10: The Man with all the Wishes
11: A Funny Tasting Burger
12: Luxury at the Wingspan Resort
13: Cloud Surfing and the Never-Lost Ring
14: Friendship Never Dies
15: One Last Chance
16: Octopus Speech
17: The Comet Festival
18: An Atamanaa Welcome
19: The Djinn Strikes a Bargain
20: A False Imprisonment
22: Wish Battle
23: To the Wishing Well
24: A Wish on Galaxion
25: The Power of Everything
Let me know your thoughts

21: The Hidden Corridor

1.3K 154 24
By Jules_Haigler

Octopuses have the most amazing ability to squeeze through tight holes and small crevices probably since they are invertebrates meaning they have no bones. Perhaps nature's greatest escape artists, imagine fitting your body through a hole the size of a quarter. Sounds difficult, well not for Stella. She squirmed her many tentacles up the drainpipe inch by inch until the light of the outside peeked its way inside.

"Ooola," her voice echoed in the hollow tube as she felt the warmth of the sun.

First one tentacle then another until she popped her head out. Thankfully there were no Wish-Hunters on guard this time of day or else they might have seen the drainpipe on the wall leak more than water. Scurrying around behind a nearby bush, Stella found her hovercraft she had stashed there. She strapped herself in and after turning on the power she was off on her mission.

The universe was a dangerous place for a Cephalopodian to be roaming about all alone. She could be snatched up and served as fried calamari with a side of sauce. But Stella was too smart to end up on a plate. She made sure to avoid as much contact with anyone as possible just in case someone had octopus on the menu.

She hovered from building to building narrowly getting hit by passing cars. Her goal was to get the photograph from Eddie's backpack and then find a way to convince her to see reason. Yet as she came to the city's main center and trade market she heard over the hustle and bustle of the street vendors a familiar voice.

"Did you hear, mom," said a boy's voice. "Eddie is here on Atamanaa. I just saw her on the news."

"That girl you hung out with at the resort? The girl who has Galaxion?"

"Yeah, that's her."

"Leo," said his mother as she picked through a fruit stand, "she's already forgotten about you. Why not go to the skate park and hang out with children who are not associated with the Djinn? That's a crowd that will only lead you to trouble."

"But, mom, I promised her."

"Leo we are only stopping her for a few days to get supplies before we head to planet Oram. Leave that girl to her wishes."

Stella snuck behind the fruit stand and peered at Leo.

"Oolloo," she whispered.

Leo noticed a pair of rabbit ears poking out behind a large melon. He turned his head until he was eye to eye with Stella.

"Hey, I know you," he whispered. "You were with Eddie."

"Oolllaaala," said Stella watching Leo's mom walk away. "Oolo."

"Eddie's in trouble!" cried Leo. Stella shushed him.

"Oooolooo," she responded curiously.

"Yeah, I understand Cephalopodian. My family stayed in a refugee camp for a year to study your culture's healing remedies so we had no choice but to learn the language."

Stella bounced with joy. Very few people in the universe spoke her culture's dying language. She started to tell Leo everything that had happened.

"Eddie is being lied to by the Djinn so he can take Galaxion for himself," repeated Leo. "That's awful."

Stella sighed.

"So what are we going to do?"

Stella's eyes grew wide. If octopuses could, she could have burst into tears right there.

"Ollo," she hummed.

"Of course I want to help," said Leo. "Let me tell my mom. Don't go anywhere."

Leo rushed after his mother who was bartering with a spice trader. Stella couldn't overhear what they were saying, but it seemed Leo was lying about where he was going to be. When his mother reluctantly agreed, he came hopping back over.

"Alright, my parents shouldn't suspect a thing," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm glad they trust me so much." Leo reached around behind the melon and grabbed Stella. "Let's go save Eddie."

She hugged his neck crying out in joy.

...

I paced back and forth in my new room. The bed was the softest thing I had ever felt and the view from my window held the most spectacular view any person would wish for. Yet despite all these luxuries, the fine food that was rolled into the room by an expert chef, and the ability to do anything my young heart desired, something was missing. I was alone with no one to share the experience with.

Novus and Stella had made it fun. I recalled jumping on the bed and the pillow fighting. Leo had given me friendship. We had shared their first experience of cloud surfing. We laughed and played and joked over ice cream and zero gravity acrobatics. Just thinking about Leo made my heart jump. Was this my first boy crush? I chuckled at the idea. Gilbert was fun to do claymation with but I never saw him the same way I looked at Leo. Eh, I didn't like that butterfly in my stomach feeling.

I banged my head on the window.

"What's wrong with you, Eddie," I fussed at myself. "You don't belong here."

I then thought of home and my aunts yelling at me and all their dumb, evil chores. The more I considered the idea of going home, the more I felt opposed to going back.

"You don't belong anywhere." I sighed, pushing myself from the window. I hopped on the bed and pulled out Galaxion. The wish was warm in my hands. "Galaxion, if you understand me, what should I do? Who can I trust?" The wish remained silent. I shook it angrily. "Galaxion, I know you chose me for something important, but I still don't know what it is. Why won't you tell me! I'm lost so very lost."

Just then the Never-Lost ring on my finger began to glow. I had forgotten all about it. A golden string appeared in the air and stretched towards the door.

"That's it!" I cried, sitting up. "Maybe if I follow the ring I will find where I belong." I packed Galaxion back into my fanny pack. "Alright ring, show me the way."

I opened the door and poked my head into the hall. The golden string led to the elevator.

"Well, you'll never know unless you follow it," I whispered to myself.

Sneaking on my tiptoes I scooted down the hall. I entered the elevator and stared at all the buttons. Which one was I supposed to press? Galaxion hummed from inside the pack and my ring glowed. The string pointed to a spot on the wall beside the buttons, one of many stars carved into the stone walls. At first glance the spot looked like any other part of the elevator, but something told me this star was different. I ran my finger over its surface. Suddenly I finger pushed the inside. It was a hidden button.

The elevator made a jolt to the left. I grabbed onto the handrail and glanced all around. The lights began to flicker and all the stars on the wall started to move to the back wall like ants returning to an anthill. The little carved stars combined into one giant star until the whole wall was consumed. The shaking stopped and the star opened like a door to a dark corridor. I peeked inside. I could see nothing. The Never-Lost ring glowed once more sending the shining string into the darkness.

"You want me to go in there?" I stuttered. Galaxion hummed violently. I pulled it out. It lit up the area around me in a soft light. "Ok," I gulped. "I guess there is no turning back now."

I took hesitant steps into the darkness. The walls, floor, and ceiling were covered in dripping rock. Stalactites and stalagmites jutted out all around me. I was in a cave.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked Galaxion. With one hand outstretched and the other clutching Galaxion, I followed the string deeper and deeper into the unknown.

I could hear water dripping in front of me. My foot sunk into mud. The corridor curved around a pillar made of white limestone. It felt cold and wet as my hand brushed against it. I stumbled onward until the corridor opened to a large room with a pool of water in its center. On the back wall was a carved stone door covered in stars. The string was pointing right at it.

"So this is where you want me to be?" My voice echoed in the chamber. Galaxion pulsed in excitement. "What's beyond the door? What secrets is the Djinn hiding?" I placed my hand on its surface. My fingers glided over the carved stars. "How do I open it?"

"You don't," came a voice behind me. I jumped and twisted around. Standing by the entrance was the Djinn. His green eyes pierced the darkness appearing angered. "And you are not welcomed here."

"I...um...I," I struggled to find an excuse. "I'm sorry."

"And this is why children should not have power to wish on stars," growled the Djinn. "It only leads to trouble."

"It was an accident, honest," I cried. "I promise I won't ever come back here."

The Djinn began to walk towards me.

"I thought I could trust you, Eddie Eversby. I gave you everything, the universe was your oyster, and you spit on my hospitality by invading my private chambers. I thought we could be friends." The Djinn leaned up close. I could smell his disgusting breath. "But I must congratulate you on your efforts. You are the first person to ever find this place."

"I didn't know I wasn't allowed here," I cried. "You told me I could go anywhere."

The Djinn smirked.

"Oh poor poor Earth child. I lied." The Djinn grabbed my coat. In a flash we transported from the cave to the hallway outside of my bedroom door. He grabbed my hand and removed my Never-Lost ring. "You won't be needing this anymore." He shoved me inside. "It's time you stop chasing stars, Eddie. Until I know I can trust you again in my home, you won't be leaving this room. And as far as our deal goes, I will only offer it once more." The Djinn reached down and undid my fanny pack. "I'll also be taking Galaxion."

"No!" I cried. The Djinn pushed me down. "Give it back!"

"Don't worry, Eddie. I can't use it."

"Galaxion is my friend," I pleaded.

"Galaxion is a volatile hunk of destruction, the core of a star. Have you never considered the danger a wish can do? Planets have been lost by people who misuse wishes. It is my job given to me by the stars themselves to watch over all wishing. And you, Eddie, are too distracted with your emotions to make any proper wish." The Djinn crouched down. "I'll give Galaxion back when you calm down. Consider this a temporary punishment like any parent would do."

I spat in the Djinn's face.

"You're not my parents. You're a bad man. I should have never agreed to come here."

The Djinn wiped my spit from his face.

"Children are best seen and not heard," he snapped while rising to his feet. "Now be a good little girl for one night and I'll give you back Galaxion. You should spend this time asking yourself, what does Eddie really want?"

The Djinn shut the door and locked it. I heard his footsteps fade down the hall.

"I hate this place," I said curling my legs to my chest. "But I have nowhere left to go." I sighed.

"Psst," came a voice from the balcony outside. A sloppy slapping hit the glass.

I turned my head. Peeking around the edge was Leo and Stella. They waved. Big smiles burst across their faces. At that moment I forgot all my worries. I jumped to my feet, ripped open the window and embraced my friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 270 38
"and in the end she realized no matter how much history they shared, there was never going to be a future." A nuclear apocalypse sends what's left of...
Human Code By Vee Lozada

Science Fiction

197K 16.6K 37
Javier Morales is an android who only wished to be accepted in death as he was in life, but when rogue androids kidnap his sister and destroy the cit...
38K 3K 37
Some fates are worse than death--survival is one of them. In the two hundred years since humanity left the Earth's surface to live in the sky, life...
34K 912 26
ā•” ā• ā• ā• ā• ā•— ā•‘ Book Two ā•‘ ā•‘ of ā•‘ ā•‘ Three ā•‘ ā•š ā• ā• ā• ā• ā• Her brother is in Dauntless. Her friends h...