Echoes of an Alpha

By moralfantasy

Inessa will do anything to keep her life as a rogue. Her freedom is the last safe place in White Timber Fores... More

Warning
One: Hunted
Two: Black Wolf
Three: Mirror
Four: Fire
Five: Alpha's Aura
Six: Intruders
Seven: Choose
Eight: Beta
Nine: Reasons
Ten: Bloody Ascent
Eleven: White Lily
Twelve: Hands of Change
Thirteen: The Plan
Fourteen: Two Scents, One Offer
Fifteen: Ice
Sixteen: A Second Option
Seventeen: Rotting in Silence
Eighteen: Mother of an Alpha
Nineteen: A Test
Twenty: Barriers
Twenty One: Found
Twenty-Two: Secrets
Twenty-Three: The Dormant Clan
Twenty-Four: Mahika

Twenty-Five: Evidence

1.2K 57 14
By moralfantasy

Kusal ducked his head as he stepped into one of the village huts. He scanned it in a second. Empty.

"Kusal!"

Kusal stiffened. He hated his father's voice. He hated that he already knew what his father was calling him.

Dhruv stormed into the hut.

"Have some decency. Close the door," Kusal chided. He was surprised he didn't hear the door snap from its hinges. He crossed his arms. "What's new?"

Dhruv glared. "You're risking the lives of the people. Let the Conclave question the spy. He may be only the beginning of an ambush."

"Oh, an ambush. Is that all?" Kusal reached across a small table and snatched a small jar. He opened it and sniffed. Rosemary. Just what Honovi wanted him to find for her next healing potion. "I best be on my way."

"You must think me stupid for trying so many times. I know you don't want to listen. But there must be some part of you that cares. Some part of your mind that doubts an over-aggressive werewolf has the ability to handle this situation with the sensitivity it demands. We have no reassurance that the Alpha has even received your message. The people already suspect the Northern Clan of working behind the sporadic attacks. If word gets out we have a Northerner in our hands, this clan will shred him alive."

And where does this sudden protectiveness come from? Why does the Conclave practically despise this spy? Kusal paused after swinging the door open. No, the Conclave wanted this spy. There was no way they'd let him die in the hands of the people. Kusal shook his head. "Ever since I said no to joining the Conclave, you knew I would never follow you. You know..." He faced his father. "I've always wondered why you nominated me to lead the Arm."

"Because you care about order and security."

Kusal scoffed. "Because I do my job. And unlike before, I don't care who doesn't like my work." Kusal gripped the doorframe and swung it open. "As the Beta of the East Clan, I am the right arm of the Alpha. I know more than anyone how much this clan needs him."

"You're making a mistake," Dhruv growled.

"Good," Kusal chimed. "About time I follow in my father's footsteps." In one stride, he left the hut behind him. The fresh air returned him to his senses. What am I doing? He knew his father felt the bite in his tone. He felt satisfied, but a little unnerved. Sarcasm wasn't his style. He frowned. Arek's habits were rubbing off on him.

Now, to Honovi.

Ever since Arek left, Kusal had kept an eye on the Alpha's mother, who lingered around the camp. When Kusal had asked half-heartedly how she would keep herself busy while her son was away, she had answered, "While he is off doing what he must, I will prepare."

Kusal had felt taken aback by her solemn face. "For what?"

"War. Don't look so surprised. You know it's coming. You can feel it. We're narrowing down who the enemy is."

Now that Kusal thought of her words, he felt sick. After almost fifty years of fragile relations between the Clans, was an all-out war even possible? A sharp sting across his left cheek shocked him out of his thoughts. "Sian?"

His sister stood in front of him, her eyes like daggers. "You should be ashamed of yourself." She stepped forward as he stepped back. "I watched father give you everything before you even knew how to howl. Training, words, the promotion into the Arm, his experiences – only wanting your support in return. And you," her voice cracked. "Why?"

Kusal hated this argument. And he was tired of giving the same answer. "Because he's wrong. Because he is not a good man."

"A good man, huh?" Sian spat. "And I suppose that's what you think you are? Just because you follow the Alpha? Because you get to spoil yourself sick with privilege yet again?"

"I deserved everything Dhruv handed to me," Kusal growled. "I worked for it. I paid for it in blood. I paid for it by fulfilling his requests. I paid for it by lying. And I am done."

A child's crying snapped the tension. Kusal and Sian turned their heads to a little girl in dark braids that fell from a tree. Her mother ran over to her, making soothing noises and picking her up. Nothing appeared broken. The girl stopped crying within a few minutes.

"He never deserved you," Kusal said.

"What?"

"Father." Kusal held back the bile at the word. "You've done so much for him, keeping the house, negotiating with neighbors, covering for him."

"What else was I supposed to do?" Her voice dared him to lecture her.

"Walk away. Let someone love you for you. He's blinded himself to caring for anyone, and he isn't going to change. Sometimes, he-"

"Shut up!" Her voice shook. Her head lowered. "Don't ever speak to me again."

Kusal relaxed his jaw after Sian turned her heel and left him. He never felt close to her, but because of the struggle she went through daily to gain her father's love, he felt for her. And right now, he did not like the idea of her being angry at him. This spy better be worth it all.

He continued his stance on the spy's imprisonment by refusing to talk to any more of the Conclave. He stayed silent.

Three days later, word arrived from the border patrol – the Alpha was back, as well as his two companions. Kusal thanked Mirsha for personally giving him the report.

"Ahlu says there is no need to rush out. He will be out to meet them," Mirsha added.

Kusal nodded, satisfied he chose Ahlu as the leader of the Arm after he became Beta. Though quiet, Kusal knew Ahlu was loyal to a fault and had no self-esteem issues that would interfere with his ability to order the Arm. "I'll take his word." Should he have the cooks prepare something? Would they want to rest before attending the matter of the spy? He pictured Inessa as a wolf, devouring a slab of deer in seconds.

"Why are you smiling?"

He forgot Mirsha was still waiting for dismissal. He never had to deal with formalities while he was the leader of the Arm, but now that he was Beta, and even more, a temporary stand-in for the Alpha, things were different. Kusal rubbed his forehead. "Hey Mirsha, how is Gina doing?"

Mirsha glanced around before remembering that the Conclave no longer controlled the Arm. Therefore, their little rule that the Arm could not marry was nothing more than a scarred memory. "The healers advised she stop the vigorous stuff. We talked. She doesn't spar with us now, but she wants to keep up with the morning runs for now."

"And how is the little one?"

"We'll have a feisty son in the summer." Mirsha crossed his gangly arms, but couldn't keep back his smile. He was going to be a father.
"Good, glad to hear it. You keeping tabs on her then? Making sure she listens to the healers?"

"Ain't worried about that. If it were just the healers, she'd fight against them. But it was the Alpha's mother that changed her mind. Told her to stay aware, that the first child can be the easiest to lose. But hey, if you order her to take a break, she won't disobey either."

"No need," Kusal assured. Interesting, he thought. It seems Honovi did interact with the clan once in a while. "Dismissed."

One hour crawled past as Kusal checked over the healers, the mansion, and once more, the outside of the room where they held the Northern spy captive. As the second hour neared its end, Kusal began questioning the silence. Where was the Conclave? Why hadn't any of them approached him with last minute warnings? The answer came in an instant. He ran over to the Southern border. Sure enough, Arek was there. He sat on a rock, surrounded by five of the eight members of the Conclave. Inessa and Vin were also in human form. Though they stood a little to the side, they looked ready to jump in at a moment's notice.

"Hey!" Kusal broke into the circle.

"Don't push me, boy," Carion warned.

"Back off," Kusal said. His body tensed like a stone wall. No way he'd let any of them past him.

Arek raised his hand. "It's fine."

Kusal noted Arek was still half-naked, along with Vin and Inessa. The deep half-circles under each of their eyes revealed their lack of sleep in their hurry to return. "Alpha, you can't trust them. Have the spy questioned and judge him yourself."

"I'd sooner trust Alpha Lyle than these scum," Arek whispered.

Kusal nodded. He didn't like the Alpha of the West Clan either, especially since he was absent during their visit, which was supposed to be an introduction between the two fairly new Alphas of the two clans.

"Done conspiring?" Carion interrupted. "Or are you ready to carry out justice?"

"Carion," Dhruv warned, stepping in. "Nevertheless, Alpha, he is right. The spy must be executed."

Kusal instantly dropped all signs of concern, his face becoming like stone.

Dhruv continued. "Alpha, it doesn't matter whether you believe us or not. You can't deny that we don't know if the spy is who he claimed to be. As we discussed," he turned, surveying the group, "that spy is most likely a rogue. These attacks on our clan have been too random in location and timing to come from the North. No, this was an action of a rogue pack, banding together under a new leader."

Arek met Dhruv's stare. Kusal could barely breathe. Kill the spy? Where did that come from? How much had they discussed since he'd been gone? Then there was the idea of a rogue pack. Why hadn't he thought of something like this before? Of course, he never thought rogues would be daring enough to challenge an entire clan, much less the East Clan.

Arek laughed. Dhruv furrowed his brows at the coarse sound.

"You aren't capable of taking the lives of your people seriously, are you?" Machar, the oldest member, grumbled.

"I told you he's nothing more than a bastard!" Carion shouted.

"You've got some nerve," Dhruv told Arek, looking just as angry, though more composed than the rest. "How can you be so sure?"

"So sure?" Arek coughed out. His thumb circled his knee, brushing off crumbs of dirt. "If the rogues really had an Alpha, he would be seeking the one thing that all Alpha's desire. And since none of you will ever know what that is, I'll fill you in." He dragged out the silence. Burning gold filled his eyes. "Recognition. He hasn't done a single thing to put his mark on any of these attacks, or even his supposed spy." Arek leaned back, now watching as each of them refused to look him in the eyes. "There is no Alpha of the rogues."

Kusal couldn't breathe. Did Arek really call them out on a bluff? It's too fast. Too fast and too risky.

"You still don't know whether or not this spy is from the North," Machar scratched his beard. "Questioning him on his connections will give away our suspicions of the North Clan's attacks – if that is what they are."

"You've stated your opinion enough. And the point is valid." Arek stood up. "Nevertheless, the spy lives. We'll wait one week to weaken his resolve. Then one of the elders will question him.

Kusal relaxed, though he was surprised. He thought for sure that Arek would insist on questioning the spy himself. He's cunning enough to pull out anything the spy will be hiding from us. Then again, the spy will be done for in an instant if Arek's temper spikes.

That brought up another surprise – Arek acting not as rash as usual. Kusal could hardly believe it when he saw Arek sitting and listening while the Conclave surrounded him like vultures. Kusal glanced towards the woods. Could it be that something in the South caused him to rethink his manner of leading? After a few moments, Kusal corrected himself. Not a something – a someone. He was grateful to whoever it was. Something was off about the whole situation with the spy. They walked on glass. One mistake, whether it was with the Conclave or the spy, could shatter all the safety and any stability that had built until now.

Kusal eyed his father. He had fallen awfully quiet. I thought he'd be seething by now. Was he the only one who wanted the spy dead? Or was that a consensus?

"Well that could've been agreed upon sooner," Carion huffed.

Arek left the tree stump and laid a hand on Dhruv's shoulder. He lowered his voice. "I don't know whose idea it was to suggest a rogue Alpha, but they'll weaken whatever influence you hold over them if you follow their whims."

A small smirk lifted Dhruv's mouth. "I had a feeling you wouldn't fall for such a competitive narrative, though there isn't hard evidence showing it's particularly false."

"I expected you to say nothing less." Arek turned his back to the Conclave. "Inessa, Vin, wash up and rest. The last five days will catch up on you about now, so don't bother getting up for your usual duties tomorrow.

Kusal watched as Inessa and Vin left without a word. They looked like the walking dead. He noticed the faded red band around Inessa's arm. Good, she kept it on.

Arek waited until they left. "Eight hours. Be ready."

"Didn't think you were actually planning to wait a week."

"What else did you figure?"

Kusal paused. "You're doing the interrogating. No way you would've left this to someone else."

"Good."

"Why the eight hours?"

Arek raised his eyebrows. "You really couldn't figure it out?"

Kusal racked his brain. Bonfires? Social gatherings? Conclave rituals?

Arek's smile was grim. "I'm damn tired." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4M 271K 37
They say opposites attract. But what happens when a rogue and an Alpha who both crave chaos end up being mates? It seems like Moon Goddess has made h...
1.4M 44.8K 51
When Orla gets into the Private Lupus University, she meets people who may not be people at all. As she learns to navigate a new world of supernatura...
58.1K 1.9K 20
In which the Mikaelson's, the scooby gang, the pack and past and future Hale's are brought to watch the life of Charlotte Stilinski Or in which trut...
335K 10K 50
When a stubborn and intolerant, werewolf gets classified as a little puppy, her whole life changes as she is fetched by a Vampire. Starting date:12...