Concealed (Unbound, Book 4)

By SashaLeighS

After regaining her memories, Nora outed the prankster and stripped the Larkin family of their abilities. She... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Author's Note
Update
Revealed (Unbound, Book 5)

Chapter Twenty-Eight

739 66 9
By SashaLeighS

Christmas came and went without mention at Dwyer Manor.

Apparently, Devland was as adamant about not celebrating as he was about not grieving. I was happy to continue to spend the days during the break from school with Calin and Onyx, occasionally calling Nancy to chat. Calin took my request regarding Christmas Day to heart and gave me space, though he showed up after supper and we called Nancy so that I could wish her family a happy holiday.

Despite my best efforts to sway him otherwise, Calin gifted me with a new sketchpad and artist's kit before he left that night. It was a perfect exchange, since I had anticipated his refusal to nix a gift exchange and painted him an abstract picture of fire in different colors.

It represented strength, which was exactly what Calin had given me since we met.

Maible went to her grandparents and wouldn't be back until the day before the new semester began, and Islene still wasn't free to help us figure out who had been responsible for binding Maible's magic. Since our plan was at a standstill until she could assist, we went for walks, hung out at the Manor or Celestial Java, and took Onyx to the clearing. She loved running around without the leash, but I felt like I was going to have a heart attack each time she skidded to a stop near the edge of the cliff. Eventually, I found the Latin phrase—or as close as I could determine—to command her to stay at least ten feet from the ledge.

By the time that Maible texted to say that she was back, I replied that I was having an early night and would see her in the morning, then called Calin to talk before going to sleep.

*****

After two weeks of being able to sleep in, getting up for school was like swimming through mud. My limbs were heavy, and my eyes didn't want to stay open. I slammed my hand on the snooze button three times before Onyx began to nudge against my cheek with her cold, wet nose. Trying to move her away caused her to try to snuggle closer, and soon her nose was resting against the sensitive skin behind my ear, making me giggle.

"Okay!" I laughed aloud and wiggled away from Onyx as I slid out of the bed on my stomach. "You're worse than a freaking rooster!"

Once I was out of the bed, Onyx huffed, resting her snout on her front legs. After a moment, she hid her face from the light under her paws and appeared to be asleep again. I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom.

If only it were that easy.

I hopped into the shower and quickly dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with a wool cardigan to keep me warm inside school when I wasn't wearing my jacket. Since Christmas break had begun, we'd gotten the snow the weather forgot to release during fall. The temperatures had dropped below zero, and I felt like carting Onyx to class to serve as a portable, energy-saving heater for my toes.

Once my hair was dried, I dumped the old notebooks from my bag and grabbed new ones from the desk drawer, making sure that both mine and my mother's Books of Shadows were secure in the large pouch before zipping it closed. Once I was sure I had everything, I left, leaving the door ajar for Onyx to find her way to Mrs. Renaldi once she deemed fit to get up for the day. As I went down the stairs to the kitchen, I chastised myself for being jealous of a dog.

Maybe, instead of going straight to college, I would take a year off and live in my mother's house doing nothing every day.

That would be ideal after the year I'd had.

"Good morning!" Mrs. Renaldi smiled as I entered the kitchen.

Calin was seated at the kitchen table with a full breakfast already served. I put my bag on the floor and sat beside him. From the platter at the center of the small table, I grabbed a slice of toast and put eggs on top, then added some bacon before closing it with another piece of toast.

"Nora, I could have made breakfast sandwiches if that's what you wanted," Mrs. Renaldi said from behind me.

"You didn't ask," I said between mouthfuls. "This is just as good."

"Okay, then what do you want tomorrow?"

I smiled at Calin. "Cereal."

"I don't—You don't want my cooking?"

Calin laughed and shook his head, taking another bite of his eggs.

"I'm joking," I said, then mumbled, "Sort of."

Mrs. Renaldi swatted the back of my head with the tea towel she was holding, then shuffled back to the counter. "Well, since you're eating without my having to ask, I'll let that go."

"So I can have cereal tomorrow?" I leaned back and looked at her upside-down.

"Not on your life."

I laughed and sat straight again, finishing my breakfast. Turning in my chair, I watched Calin as he continued to eat. After a few minutes, his chewing slowed. Once he swallowed, he turned to look at me, appearing apprehensive even though he smiled.

"Yes?"

"Are you done?" I asked, feeling antsy.

"We don't have to pick up Maible."

"Oh." My shoulders slumped and then I perked back up. "That's awesome! Now, we can stop for coffee."

"I'm not sure you need it," Mrs. Renaldi muttered, and I rolled my eyes in her direction before focusing on Calin again.

"Okay!" he exclaimed, taking one last bite of his breakfast as he stood. "Let's go so we can feed your addiction."

I grabbed my bag from the floor and waved goodbye to Mrs. Renaldi as Calin's hand found the small of my back to guide me out of the kitchen. I pranced as we started for the front door, suddenly filled with happiness.

"Thanks, Calin," I said. "You're an awesome friend."

His hand dropped from my back and suddenly, I felt a tension settle over my shoulders.

It hadn't been there for a while, and I didn't like how it felt. For the past couple of weeks, the awkwardness of avoiding discussing what we were had been absent. Now, as though with that one word and the commencement of school, the pause button had been turned off.

I didn't like it.

After getting to know Calin better, it was time to have a completely different conversation.

*****

I threw my empty coffee cup into the trash when we entered school, and Calin walked me to my locker to discard my winter coat. It was so large, I had to push it in and quickly slam the door before it toppled out to meet the freshly waxed floor.

Calin laughed, and I scowled as I pulled out my phone to check the schedule that had been emailed to me, listing my new classes. I'd briefly looked at it when it arrived on the Friday before, but all I'd taken the time to notice was that I didn't have any classes in the afternoon.

"What do you have first?" Calin asked. "I have art."

I laughed. "Why'd you switch last semester if you want to take it again this semester?"

He shrugged. "I was trying to keep the peace."

"Hmm." I pressed my lips into a thin line. "That worked so well, don't you think?"

"She's gone and you are here," he said. "I think, in the end, it worked out fine."

I lifted my head and met his gaze, feeling my cheeks turn pink. "I have psychology first."

"We're in opposite ends of the building."

"Meet for lunch?" I raised my eyebrow and smiled.

"You don't have to stay for lunch if you don't have afternoon classes."

"But I also don't have a ride home if I don't stay, so..." I shrugged. "It's too cold to walk."

"I can drive you."

"No, you go to class and we'll meet for lunch. I want to catch up with Maible, too."

"You're sure?"

"Yes!" I laughed and started to step to the side.

Calin moved at the same time and leaned in to give me a hug, and our noses almost connected as our heads moved in the same direction. My breath left my lungs as our lips grazed and a jolt ran down to my toes.

We both took a step back and our gazes locked.

It was as though I couldn't look away.

"Oh, my God! Nora! Calin!"

I blinked and turned to see Maible as she jogged up to us, jumping the last step to engulf us both in a hug, pulling us closer together as her arms circled our shoulders with her in the middle. I blinked, then smiled, stepping back as soon as it wouldn't appear rude.

"You're back!" I wrapped both my arms around Maible once she released Calin. Letting go, I dropped my arms to my sides and forced a cheer to my voice. "What class do you have?"

"Psychology."

I smirked at Calin and put my arm around Maible's shoulders. "Perfect! We're this way." I hip-checked her and started walking away. "We can go be smart while Calin learns to finger paint."

"At least I don't need to wake up until second period!" he called after us, then started in the opposite direction, laughing.

I looked over my shoulder as we walked away from each other, wishing that Maible hadn't chosen that moment to interrupt. It had been barely a kiss—a fluke that couldn't be counted—but it was the first time since the night that I'd stripped the Larkin family of their abilities.

I wanted to talk about it or... do it again.

Yeah, I definitely wanted to repeat the mistake.

Looking straight, I promised that today I would find the time to push past the fear of rejection and tell Calin how I felt.

*****

Psychology was harder than I expected a class to be on the first day, but I could tell right away that I was going to enjoy it. Mrs. Marsh was friendly, and her lecture was anything but boring. It was more than I could say for Mr. Zilinski, who taught Mythology in second period. It was a filler class and sounded cool on the list of electives, but his voice was monotone.

Hopefully, once we moved past the syllabus, it would be less dry.

Myths were supposed to be full of love and death and magic and unveiled warnings.

Once I broke free, I didn't have to check my schedule again before third period, knowing that my last class of the day would be in the towers. Which level I was placed in was still unknown, but at least I had a room number and I knew how to get through the security. As soon as the bell rang, I bolted down the hallway to reach the tower entrance, hoping to be one of the first few students in line so that I wouldn't have to stand around waiting.

"Hey, Nora," Brad said as I almost barreled into his back. "What's the rush?"

"Hey," I said, catching my breath. "I, uh, didn't want to wait in line. I"—I pointed to his head and sucked in a breath— "like your haircut."

The first time we'd met, Brad had introduced himself to me and shown me around the towers, as well as through the security process, after Duvessa had tried to bully some kids in line. He'd had longer hair then, but he must have cut it over the break because now the black curls were tapered closer to his head.

"Thanks." He smiled, then stepped back and gestured for me to cut in front of him.

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. There's only three people in front of us."

"I insist. Ladies first and all that."

"Seriously, don't worry about it." I laughed and ducked my head as the number of students doubled as everyone went through the security one by one, each of them casting curious glances in my direction.

"So, did you have a good holiday?" I asked as we waited for the students in front of us to pass through the doors.

"I slept a lot," he said.

Finally, it was his turn to go. Brad held his thumb up to the keypad and waited for the snick as it was pricked to test his blood for magical properties. The door opened and he disappeared. Once it shut again, it was my turn, and I placed my thumb on the pad, only flinching a little as my skin pinched.

On the other side of the door, Brad was waiting. "What did you do during the break from school?" he asked, and we began ascending the stairs.

"Just hung out, I guess." I shrugged. "It was cold, but I took my dog for a lot of walks. Went for coffee."

"How'd you end up placing, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I don't mind, but I don't know." I rattled off the room number I was supposed to go to.

Brad whistled. "Good job."

"Why?"

"Because." He paused as we reached the top of the stairs and the second scanner. "Nobody has ever jumped from being in WC-1 to being in WC-10. I guess having parents like yours pays off, hmm?"

"I'm in WC-10?"

Before I could ask him anything about it, the door opened and shut, and I was left on the platform. The students that had come in behind us were fast approaching. Not wanting to hold up the line, I shook the confusion away and put my thumb on the pad, hoping that Brad had once again waited for me.

When the door opened, I was alone.

The magic from within the tower wasn't as strong as usual since nobody had been there to use any for a couple of weeks. It was still enough to soothe the rough edges from my nerves as I found the classroom I had been assigned, which was in the back of the hallways where I had always noticed the magic had been stronger.

A/N: So updating isn't as eady as I imagined while on vacation, but I wanted to get at least one new chapter out before the New Year. If you enjoy it, please comment and vote :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 525 34
Noreena Fallyn has overcome the grief of her mother's death, embracing her abilities, discovering family, and life-threatening events. Zachariah is n...
49.6K 4.2K 53
Unbeknownst to everyone surrounding her, Nora remembers everything except for the fateful accident that caused her to lose her memories in the first...
275K 17.1K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...
10.6K 1.5K 55
Lolita Badmus has spent fifteen years in a foreign land with her family, but her perfectly planned life fell apart when she discovered her work permi...