Sink or Swim

By Fireheart73

"I can't be just friends with you," he whispered bringing his hand against my cheek cupping it slightly. "Mc... More

August
2
September
4
5
6
October- Cal
8
November
9
10
11
12
13
Cal
15
December
17
18
January
20
21
February
March
24
26
27
April
May
31
June
Epilogue- 5 years later
Thank You! Part 3??
Part 3 Sneak Peek!

29

1.3K 33 3
By Fireheart73

Chapter Song: Ross & Rachel- Jake Miller || Love is Gone- Slander & Dylan Matthew

"Okay squeeze in everyone," the photographer instructed our huge group. I could tell he was frustrated trying to get all of us in one picture but he tried. Poor guy.

Eventually we all fit into frame. Cal held me bridal style. Hayden's date jumped on his back. Liam and Natalie were pressed so close together I was sure neither of them were comfortable. Ty held Riley the same way Cal held me. Mason and his date were laying across the floor in front of all of us. I thought it described our group perfectly.

Liam asked Natalie to go to prom out of respect. Plus he was too chicken to ask Riley and she refused to make the first move. She knew Liam was too afraid. Ty asked her since they were crowned homecoming king and queen, they thought it made sense.

After we took our group pictures and our couple ones Riley forced me to take one with her. She didn't have to force me though I was going to grab her for one anyway. We posed in a typical prom date pose each taking turns holding each other. I would be surprised if he got a photo of us not laughing.

We met everyone at a table one of the boys picked out. It was close to the dance floor and the stage where the band was playing. It was some local group that Ty and Mason found. They were good and were getting paid pretty well for this. I had to admit the juniors did well planning this. It all came out beautifully. I was also relieved that we didn't have to plan it or worry about anything. Just have fun.

"Did I ever tell you how beautiful you look tonight," Cal leaned closure to me as I sat down. He gently wrapped one arm around the back of my chair nudging me closer to him. I'd sit on his lap if I could. I didn't want to leave his side tonight.

"Once or twice," I snickered. This was actually the seventh time since he came to the house. I started counting after the third time. "Did I tell you how handsome you look," I wiggled my eyebrows at him.

"Hmm I don't think you have." I gasped batting his chest.

"Oh you know I told you already!"

"I know," he smiled. "I just like hearing you say it."

"Of course you do," I scoffed at him. I couldn't hide the smile tugging at my lips.

"Who do you think is gonna get king and queen?" Asked Natalie.

"No idea," I chimed in.

"I think Mason or Cal," Liam said.

"What about you?" Riley asked. "Ty and I can't get either, but you can Liam." He ducked his head to hide is blush. God, could he be anymore obvious? Did Cal and I look like that last year?

"Nah, I don't think it'd be me."

"Why not?" Cal looked at him.

"I don't know I just don't. Not really my thing," he shrugged.

"What about queen?"

"Kenny." Everyone said at the same time except for me.

"What? Why me?"

"Because everyone loves you," Riley said as if it was obvious. Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Oh what if Liam and Kenny both get crowned," Mason's eyes widened at the realization. Both Hayden, Liam, Riley and I couldn't contain our laugher. The rest of the table just looked at us confused.

"Okay why am I actually okay with that?" I laughed wiping tears from my eyes.

"Because that'd be hilarious," Riley giggled trying to calm herself. She had to fan her face from how flush she became.

"Oh God please no," Liam whined.

"I get it Liam, it's hard being next to the better looking twin," I smirked.

"I mean Liam has a great ass," Cal piped up.

"Hey I thought my ass was the best," Ty looked incredibly offended. To the point where I wasn't sure if he was joking or actually hurt.

"I don't man, Liam started catching up to you with all those squats," Mason interjected.

"Maybe if you guys all get up to dance you can touch each others asses to really compare," Riley proposed sarcastically.

"I don't need to compare my ass to know it's the best, but let's go dance," Ty held out his hand for Riley. She gracefully took it and let him lead their way to the dance floor.

"Care to join me in a dance," Cal asked.

"I don't know are you sure you don't want to dance with Liam and his nice ass?"

"Mmmm maybe later. Gotta play hard to get you know," he winked. I rolled my eyes at him but grabbed his hand anyway.

We all danced with our dates and each other through any and every song. I think it was at least an hour before I decided to step outside to get some air. Liam walked with me. He just got done dancing with Riley so I think he wanted to clear his head.

"How much longer are you going to keep pretending you don't like her?" I asked. I decided to sit next to him on the bench he chose. It was cooler out tonight which felt nice on my sticky skin. I hoped I didn't smell bad.

"As long as it takes for me to not like her," he grumbled rubbing his eyebrows.

"Why?"

"Because, Ken. I wish I didn't like her. She's perfect." He groaned.

"Nobody is perfect, Liam." I rolled my eyes at him. So dramatic.

"To me she is. And I'm just her best friends brother. She's known me her whole life and not once showed any interest in me. She's too good for me."

"She knows, you know."

"What?" He gasped looking at me. "How does she know?"

"Because you make it so obvious!"

"Why hasn't she said anything?"

"Because you dummy! She wants you to make the first move to show that you actually like her, and it's not just some sort of boy fantasy." I shoved his shoulder.

"Well it's too late for that now," he sighed.

"No, no it's not. You guys have all summer before you both go to college. Besides it's called a cell phone you know how to use one."

"Maybe."

"Just try. For me please. Stop being dumb."

"Okay," he sighed again. "How much longer is it until you leave now? Soon right?"

"It'll be a month on Thursday," I muttered.

"Everyone knows right?" I shook my head. "Cal knows right? You told him?"

I started to shake my head again, "you just did." My head shot directly behind me to see Cal. He looked like he did the day I found out I got accepted to Columbia and the program. Shoulders slumped with an expressionless face. I could see the sadness in his eyes he couldn't cover it up. He never could.

My real question was how did we not hear him coming? He snuck up on us like a ninja. I wish he hadn't. Maybe then my stomach wouldn't be in knots contracting itself. I should have told him sooner. I was so stupid.

"I can explain," I shot out of my seat.

"What's there to explain? You're leaving." He shrugged trying to play it off as if it didn't matter. His quivering lips told me otherwise. I took a step towards him and he took a step back. We always took turns doing that. I wish we would stop with the game we couldn't help but play. No one would win at this rate.

"Cal," I whispered.

He looked right past me and directly at Liam. "They're about to announce king and queen." With that he turned around and walked back inside. I took a breath before walking in.

Instead of standing next to him I stood next to Riley. I grabbed her hand in and instant and whispered "Cal knows." She didn't have to say anything back she just gave me a reassuring squeeze. It was all I needed.

"And this year's prom king is Cal McCormick!" A Junior named Anna announced. I think she was going to be the senior class president next year.

Cal put on his dazzling smile acting if he didn't have a care in the world. Nobody noticed he was hurting. He let Anna crown him and stood up there waiting for the queen.

"And this year's queen is," she paused with excitement. I could tell she was holding back a shriek while I was praying it wasn't me. "Kennedy Parker!"

"Fuck," I mumbled.

"At least it's not you and Liam," Riley shrugged.

"I think I'd prefer it at this point," I grumbled before putting on my fake smile. I walked to the stage as if I was ecstatic that both Cal and I were crowned together. A power couple everyone thought. Little did they know their power couple just crumbled to the ground.

I felt the crown weigh down in my head. It seemed to weigh thousands of pounds. I was waiting for it to break my neck and this would all be over. When Cal locked his fingers in mine and led me to the dance floor for our official dance, I realized I wouldn't be waking up from a nightmare.

My palm fit so well in his. The way his arm slid around my lower back was as if it was made specifically for him. We were molded perfectly for  each other but we couldn't seem to get it right.

"We're you not going to tell me?" He whispered dangerously close to my ear. His breath was hot against my skin.

I pulled away so I could look into his eyes. "Yes. It anytime I tried to bring it up I couldn't."

"But why?" He sounded confused rather than angry.

"Because-" I paused trying to come up with the words. I couldn't. "I don't know. I guess just saying it made it final." My voice grew quieter after every word.

We danced in silence as he tried to process the words. Meanwhile I tried to hold together all the tears that were trying to push their way out of me. I just had to get through this dance then I could cry all the tears.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I get it now. How you felt last year after the bet." He flinched at the memory. I didn't blame him.

"What do you mean?"

"I get how betrayed you felt. Congratulations, Parker, you won the grand prize. I'm sorry," he apologized again unable to meet my eyes.

I wish he would have fucking punched me in the stomach. Any physical pain would have been better than anything I was feeling.

I couldn't take it. Before I could vomit the bike riding in my throat I let go of his hand and took a step back. I knew he saw the single tear falling. As loud as the music was I heard it hid the floor. I walked away before any more could take its place.

No. Neither of us won. We both lost. But it was finally time we both stopped playing games we knew we couldn't win. I was tired of sinking, and tired of him diving in to save me.

———
I'm sure there are tons of errors in this chapter but I wanted to get it up! So I am sorry (lol). But I hope you enjoyed this one!

Is my heart the only one hearting? No? Yes? 😬

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 45 17
I took a step back looking at kate warily. " Wh-what are you doing?" " Just want to have a bit of fun.... if you know what I mean" Kate takes purpose...
1.3M 56.3K 63
"I know we broke up, but.., " he whispers in my ear, trailing his finger lightly along my arm. He places a soft kiss on my collarbone, making a shive...
104K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
224K 5.2K 31
As we stood outside in the cold, my mind wandered to freshman year, when I promised to help Andy with something and he said that he would hug me, but...