Best Laid Plans (A Gentleman...

De thequietwriter

What could possibly go wrong next? With the recent drama of his family behind him, Lucas Bywood wants nothing... Mais

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Seventeen

1K 113 18
De thequietwriter

The colonel's words stayed with me as I walked along the edge of the room again. If he meant for me to feel some kind of pity for what Ingram had done, he was well off the mark. Perhaps I didn't know desperation, but nothing was reason enough to commit treason or to hurt other people.

At the same time, his murderer could not be allowed to go free. I hoped the investigator all the luck in the world in finding the man responsible.

When I left the Pump Room, I scanned the street. To my right, I finally spotted Ward in what seemed to be a close conversation with Mr. Harper. Both appeared serious as they spoke.

Odd. I hadn't realized they were acquaintances.

I went towards them and they broke off whatever conversation they were having. "Bywood," Mr. Harper said with a nod. "And how did you find the Pump Room today? Quiet without Miss Dunbar to chase you down?"

"Indeed." I glanced between them. "She was harmless, though, no matter what suspicions you had Ward."

Ward's eyes flitted over to Harper and then back. "Well, she's gone now," my friend said. "You'll have to find something else to complain about."

His words felt like a low blow. I didn't always complain. Did I? "I'm sorry I have offended so much," I said stiffly. I nodded to them both. "I will bid you both good day."

Turning on my heel, I strode away before either of them could say anything. If I'd expected to relax at Bath after the trying weeks at home, I hadn't found it. Why did misfortune dog my steps? Was I simply a stupid man who thought he knew more than he really did?

It only took a few blocks for my head to clear. What right did I have to get mad at Ward? I had been worrying over Pearsend since I found myself with the estate. It was reasonable to think I had come across as complaining more often than not, and who wouldn't get annoyed with that?

I reached Pulteney Bridge where I took a break. Leaning against the railing, I stared down at the moving water. I had brought this whole mess of a situation on myself, though not intentionally, and I had no idea what to do to make things any better.

What would my mother think of this whole situation?

Well, the one thing I knew for certain, Mama would scold me for being rude to my friends. She would disapprove of how I had won Pearsend, though I couldn't begin to guess what advice she would give me to manage the estate. Mama played card games, of course. What lady or gentleman did not? She wouldn't like how high the stakes had gotten in the game and scold me for drinking too much.

And that's where I couldn't be sure what my mother would think. She would not have liked Miss Dunbar. If I knew my tender-hearted mother at all, she would have found some way to help Miss Anderson find peace. She would have shown an interest in those around her.

Should I have done the same? Could I have made a difference? I knew I had annoyed Miss Anderson, and Mother would most certainly have taken me to task for not being kinder to a woman still mourning a loved one.

Shaking my head, I straightened up. I wouldn't even bother to wonder what my father would think of this. He hadn't even wanted me to come to Bath. Well, no one in my family had wanted me to come. How delighted they would be if they learned just how overwhelmed I had become and how much I'd started to regret coming.

"Well, youth is for making mistakes if nothing else," I said aloud.

A passing gentleman shot me a puzzled look. Right. Talking to oneself was not exactly sane behavior. I gave a nod and started walking. There was no specific destination in mind, mainly because I didn't want to see anyone.

I would simply have to do better at being a friend. Keep my complaints to myself. Avoid clinging debutantes. Moderate any drink put into my hand. And cards? Perhaps it would be best to avoid the card tables for awhile.

Maybe it was time to shut myself away with a good book. I hadn't done that since I was locked in my bedroom by my brother. What trouble could find me there?

◆◆◆

A maid interrupted my reading with a note. The handwriting was not familiar and requested my presence in one of the private dining rooms below. Puzzled, I put aside my book and made my way down.

When I opened the door, I found the room occupied by Ward and an unfamiliar, short man. "Good day," I said, glancing at my friend.

"You must be Mr. Lucas Bywood," the stranger said, facing me. He didn't offer his hand. "I am John Appleton. I am looking into the death of Conrad Ingram. I assume you've heard of his murder?"

"I think one would have to be living under a rock to have missed that bit of gossip," I said with a slight laugh. My attempt at levity failed miserably as the other man stared at me. "What can I do to help?"

"It was brought to my attention that you and the deceased did not always agree with each other."

Ward raised an eyebrow. "It is true," he said freely. "It would be a fortunate man to have friends with everyone he met and no disagreements whatsoever. Fortunate, but unlikely."

How long had it been since I thought I was such a man? True, I had never gotten on with Phoebe Ramsey, but she had never really counted in my mind. Then, I met my brother's wife and had learned I had a rather inflated view of my amiability.

"As you say," the little man said, nodding his agreement. His eyes remained narrowed, however. "Then, you wouldn't say you had a particular reason to wish Mr. Ingram harm?"

"No more than any other man."

"Is there a reason you are questioning my friend in this way?" I asked, unable to contain my curiosity. "Anyone will tell you we have not been in Bath long. Though our paths did cross with Mr. Ingram on a few occasions, we were not close companions."

"That may be true in your case, sir, but I've heard there was some history between the deceased and Mr. Ward here."

If it got out that Ward had been questioned about this matter, what would it do to his prospects with Miss Forester? Mrs. Forester was such a stickler for propriety, this would never be approved of by her.

"History?" Ward repeated with a forced laugh. "I think that if you're looking for history, you're going to find a great many in society have a history with Ingram, constable. He was not a gentleman."

Mr. Appleton shook his head. "I hardly think society would allow such a man into their company if that were the case."

"You might be surprised by what society allows when money is involved."

Again, Mr. Appleton raised an eyebrow. "I see. I shall keep it in mind. I know you are both visitors here. I do have to ask you both not to leave Bath while I make my investigation. This is the sort of thing that must be addressed quickly. Ladies tend to be alarmed when a case of this nature goes unsolved."

My annoyance with the man grew. Did he really suspect Ward, or even myself, of murder? "Of course," Ward said, his manner become bored. "The last thing we would wish to do was inconvenience you in your investigation, constable. We are at your disposal."

Though his expression was dissatisfied, Mr. Appleton took his leave of us. "We cannot be the only men Ingram disagreed with!" I exclaimed once I saw through a window the man stepping on the street. "This is utter ridiculousness!"

"The man is only doing his job. No doubt it will be over soon."

"Not soon enough for my taste." I turned to face him. "Surely you understand what this shadow of suspicion can do to a man's reputation."

The flash of a frown crossed Ward's face. "Yes, I do."

I couldn't bring myself to outright mention Miss Forester. I had no idea whether their acquaintance had progressed to the point of courtship. That Ward went out of his way to pass the time with her spoke of his feelings, but it was impossible for me to know the lady's thoughts of the prospect.

"I worry that the charming Mr. Appleton might focus his attention on us and allow the real murderer to get away," I said with a frown. "And all because we are the visitors to the area."

"I think you will find that the majority of people in Bath at the moment are visitors," Ward said calmly. "Mr. Appleton is merely being thorough in his job. I haven't exactly kept my feelings about Ingram to myself, you know."

I hadn't known. He had always taken care to warn me about Ingram and his tricks when we were away from others. Exactly how vocal had he been when I wasn't present to hear it?

"Did you come to Bath to warn society about Ingram?"

In the middle of pouring himself a drink, Ward glanced over. "That's an odd question."

"I don't think it is."

He shrugged and righted the decanter. "Drink?"

"No, thank you. You haven't answered my question. Did you plan to end Ingram's reign of terror?"

"The thought had crossed my mind a time or two, I will admit." He drained his glass before continuing, "But no, that was not the purpose in coming to Bath. I know a great many in society come this time of year, and it is an excellent time to engage in cards. Matching wits with Ingram would not have been a wise choice."

"And yet you did," I felt obliged to point out. "For I would not possess Pearsend if we hadn't played cards with him."

Ward shook his head. "That was merely to ensure Ingram knew I was not afraid of him."

We were getting nowhere with the conversation. I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. "So now what? We just wait and see what the inquest turns up? Hope that there's someone else more suspicious than us?"

"Wait, yes." Ward set his glass down. "Once Mr. Appleton starts looking, he will no doubt find that Ingram had plenty of enemies or at least many people who were not in accord with Ingram's activities."

For having just had a conversation with someone investigating a murder, Ward was alarmingly casual about it. However, there was nothing I could do but do as Ward said. Wait for more information.

Or I could get my resourceful valet to do so for me.

◆◆◆

How did my valet occupy himself when I was out and about? The maid informed me that Pennyworth was not in his room, but his cat was scratching to get out. She warned me that the landlord wouldn't like any damage done.

I'd forgotten about the cat. What had Pennyworth called it? Oh, yes. Leo. If I was removed from the inn because of a cat, I was not going to be pleased.

"My apologies for being away, Master Bywood," Pennyworth said as he hurried in at that moment. "I met Miss Jenny on the staircase and she said you were asking for me? I have been becoming reacquainted with the town. Fascinating how a place can be the same and yet different after a few years."

For a moment, I hesitated. Should I send him to contain his cat first, or inform him of what I wanted? In the interest of being allowed to keep the rooms, I said, "The maid also indicated Master Leo is objecting to his quarters. She said something about scratching on the door."

"I'm sure she must be exaggerating," Pennyworth said. "Leo has never scratched a door in his life. Was that all you wished to speak to me about?"

Not at all sure I believed him, I decided to set the matter aside for the moment. "As a matter of fact, it is not. Have you heard the news concerning Conrad Ingram?"

"I was informed this morning that he met his end by a person unknown in his house."

Which was a rather saying he had heard of the murder. "The gentleman investigating the incident stopped by about an hour ago," I said. "It seems public knowledge that Ward and I did not get along with Ingram, and so we have come under suspicion of having committed the crime because of our negative feelings."

There was a pause and Pennyworth blinked. "I see. If the gentleman should ask, I can confirm that you were not out at all hours."

"I appreciate that, but Ward says it may be suspected I bribed you to say that."

Pursing his lips, Pennyworth gave a nod. "I suppose that to be a logical concern. Though I must say I find it rather offensive to suggest I might be open to bribery."

"I was hoping you might be able to learn more about the situation, things I would not be in a position to learn. It won't be long before Bath is aware Mr. Appleton spoke to myself and Ward. Suspicion will be high. I doubt I will be able to go anywhere without people being uncomfortable. They won't talk in front of me. If they do, I will be very much surprised."
Pennyworth's eyebrows drew together. "What kind of information do you think I might be able to learn?"

In my eagerness to do something, I hadn't actually considered that. "I don't know. I might be grasping at the wind in asking you to do this. I just thought you might be able to talk to Ingram's staff, if they're still there, to see what they might know. Wouldn't there be a footman who knew who visited Ingram?"

"Those looking into the matter will do that. I wouldn't want to be seen as encroaching or meddling in the situation. That would only serve to make the situation worse."

Blast, that was true. Wasn't there anything I could do correctly? "Well, it was a thought, I said with a sigh. "Nevermind then. I suppose there is nothing to be done except wait for the inquest."

"Now that's not exactly true," Pennyworth said, straightening his shoulders. "As you say, I may be able to hear what others are saying. I refuse to stand by if there is a chance you are falsely accused of murder. I will take my leave if you do not require me for anything else."

"No, do what you think best," I said, surprised by his words. "Pennyworth, don't take this the wrong way, but you have to be the strangest valet I have ever met."

If anything, my statement—had I meant it as a compliment?—made the valet draw himself up even more. "Have I disappointed you in some way?"

"No! Far from it! I was not eager to take on a personal servant, but you have made yourself indispensable to me in the short time you have been here." Shaking my head, I waved my hand. "Go on then. But make sure Master Leo is content. Any damage done will be paid from your wages."

Though he looked as though he would protest, Pennyworth nodded and withdrew from the room. With any luck, he would discover something—anything—that would absolve myself and Ward of this crime.

But things rarely go that easy for me.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

28 0 22
Many eligible men want to court Bianca Curran. There is only one problem: Bianca's father won't allow Bianca to date until she reaches adulthood or u...
1.2K 183 11
Lucas Bywood has been happily working to restore the estate he won in an unfortunate card game. The unexpected arrival of his younger sister interrup...
73.8K 4.8K 14
Captain Alex Woodward was fighting Napoleonic troops on the Peninsula, until his wounds forced him to retire. Now he travels to an estate of his form...
108K 4.5K 12
Tired of being ignored by her husband, the powerful Marquis Valentine, Gwen Stratford is ready to take a lover. To her absolute horror, Lord Valentin...