Saudade (Published under Indi...

By sielalstreim

I'm scared of the sea. I can't help but think of the danger it brings. The width and depth seem forever. But... More

PART I - Chapter 1: Sea Port City
Chapter 2: The Prisoners
Chapter 3: The Knight and the Ruler
Chapter 5: The Menace
Chapter 6: Taken
Chapter 7: Fall and Fly
Chapter 8: Obsidian
Chapter 9: The Jonah of Obsidian
Chapter 10: Separate Worlds
Chapter 11: Wrecked Heart
Chapter 12: Misty Rain
Chapter 13: Borgian Island
Chapter 14: Sunset
Chapter 15: Dinner with the Pirates
Chapter 16: The Crow's Nest
Chapter 17: The Thief and the Murderer
Chapter 18: Midnight Dream
Chapter 19: The Forsaken Land
Chapter 20: Sad Song
Chapter 21: The Skull
Chapter 22: The Stormy Sea
Chapter 23: The Adventures of the Brave Heart
Chapter 24: The Pirate City
Chapter 25: The Mermaid
Chapter 26: The Monsters of the Pirate City
Chapter 27: The Invitation of Captain Rowaen
Chapter 28: The Captain of the Pirate City
Chapter 29: Far from the Land of Fairy Tale
Chapter 30: Under the Moon
Chapter 31: The Poison in the Pirate's Wine
Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire
Chapter 33: Sea Ghost
Chapter 34: The Judgment of Poseidon
Chapter 35: The Darkest Morning
Chapter 36: The Tears of the Sea
Chapter 37: The Fall of the Pirate City
PART II - Chapter 38: After Dreaming
Chapter 39: A New Perspective
Chapter 40: The Ghosts in the Woods
Chapter 41: The Agreement in the North Castle
Chapter 42: Strange Possibilities
Chapter 43: The Ruined Castle
Chapter 44: The Visitors of the East Castle
Chapter 45: The Eastern Woods
Chapter 46: Blood in the Mainland
Chapter 47: A Deeper Grave
Chapter 48: An Act of Resistance
Chapter 49: The Lake of Dreams
Chapter 50: The Cost of a Name
Chapter 51: The Lady's Acceptance
Chapter 52: The Wedding Thief
Chapter 53: Limbo of the Lost
Chapter 54: The Secrets of the Borgian Castle
Chapter 55: Poison and Blood
Chapter 56: The Black Butterfly
Chapter 57: The First Rule
Chapter 58: Cats in the Castle
Chapter 59: Before the War
Chapter 60: Little Wildflower
Chapter 61: Death in the Woods
Chapter 62: Lovers in the Borgian Castle
Chapter 63: Bad Blood Brothers
Chapter 64: Peril in the East Castle
Chapter 65: The Cage and the Lost Key
Chapter 66: Trampled Flowers in the Dead Field
Chapter 67: Blood and Madness
Chapter 68: The Battle at the Safety Rock
Chapter 69: The Brothers, the Forest Fairy, and the Castle Garden
Chapter 70: Na Guerra Ninguém Ganha
Epilogue
Saudade Playlist

Chapter 4: The Show

57.3K 2.7K 476
By sielalstreim

Chapter Four: The Show

We went to an open amphitheatre, one of the bigger function halls here in West. Crowds were already settled and expectantly seating on the benches surrounding a walled oval courtyard. I was escorted by Tarnus towards a raised platform where the Westons and my family— the Crimsons were sitting. This didn’t really seem to me like a public meeting and felt instead as if I should be expecting public entertainment. I wondered if we would be regaled with performances later.

I gave a smile to everyone on the platform—except for Chester Weston—as I went my way to my parents. Everyone who seemed to be someone in The West was present in this assembly. I took the seat next to my mother by the end of a long table laid full with sea food, fruits and wine. Tarnus stayed standing behind our high chairs. There was an air of excitement in the atmosphere—one that was palpable, it was hard to ignore.

I sat quietly as the adult were loudly engaged in a conversation about politics and how the family in the North should have been here and celebrating with us. The four leading families of the land had been ruling harmoniously for a long time and there was a certain friendship between all of us. But due to the freezing climate in the north, the North family couldn’t stay longer in warm weather.

The lively atmosphere of the surroundings continued until someone blew a loud horn. I was tempted to cover my ears but I restrained myself. The sound signalled silence and when it was finally quiet, Lord Magnus stood.

“We are so grateful for the presence of the respectful Crimson Family of the East today,” he prefaced. “This is a very important day for the western people. In this place, right at this moment, we’re going to decide the history.” It was easy to see that Lord Magnus was a charismatic leader. His booming voice carried across the amphitheatre and every one of the West people was transfixed on him.

“This is where we are going to start eliminating the very reason of the terror that destroys our seas and coastal livelihood. Today, we are a step closer to destroying the scum that are pirates!”

Everyone began cheering loudly from Lord Magnus’s declaration. But the same declaration made me frown. Taking down three men who were pirates was nowhere near destroying the whole of them.

For all we know, there were a hundred of strong pirate ships sailing on the sea. Not even one was sunken by the western soldiers. I glanced at my father and he gave me a restraining look. He knew what I was thinking. I have a feeling he agrees with me, no matter how pessimistic. Maybe he just didn’t like robbing Lord Magnus Weston’s hope.

As Lord Magnus finished his short but very lively and hopeful speech, women in alluring costumes started filling the oval and danced in the music of drums. I knew it! This would prolong the public meeting. How I wish I could go back to sleep. I just eyed the ladies boringly as the people sway with the music with them. I had to admit that the ladies in the west were naturally attractive and have great tanned bodies. This must be associated with them living near the sea.

It didn’t even surprise me that Chester Weston was suddenly out of his seat and in the middle of the ladies performing. He seemed to be enjoying the presence of the group. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

“I think he should dress like them if he’s going to be in the show,” I whispered to Tarnus but he kept his expression serious. Considering the status of his family in the eastern society, he should also be one of those men who enjoy celebrations and dances. But I think things were different for him. He had always preferred to live like a tough protective wall of the East land. He had also always told me that he got priorities. I wondered how important those were.

After a few minutes cheering and enduring Chester Weston’s flirting with the dancers, the performance finished. I eyed him incredulously as he took his seat again beside Lady Amanda Weston. He caught my eyes and smirked at me. He was so unbelievable.

“As expected from the ladies of the west, they’re quite talented,” my father commented.

“If you had a daughter, I think she would have received all the blessings of the seas,” my mother added. The only girls in the Weston family were cousins but I never really felt as if it bothered Lord Weston and Lady Amanda.

“I wouldn’t worry about that since your daughter has all the blessings of the East. She’s full of brilliance! I wouldn’t mind having her as my daughter, too, in the future” Lady Amanda said, smiling. I didn’t like the tone of her voice when she said it and I wanted to frown but fought to keep the smile on my face. I had a feeling I knew what she meant but there was no way I was letting that happen.

Unbidden, my sights went to Chester Weston. He was staring at me like he was trying to say something. I remembered what he said just this morning when he told Tarnus that he owns everything in sight. Even the girl under the protection of his family’s house as a guest. I had no doubt he meant me.

“They seemed to have eyes for each other,” my mother remarked when she caught us staring at each other. I suppressed a groan. Way to create a disaster.

I manage to fake a laugh. “Of course, of course. Lord Chester is an excellent dancer. I couldn’t take my eyes off him. I kept thinking about how he would look like if he’s the leader of the group.”

Everyone laughed good-heartedly at the joke, thinking that I was not serious. But not Chester Weston. He knew it was an insult. Instead, he glared at me. I did not think that no two people could hate each other than us.

My ‘joke’ was followed by other jesting comments about Chester Weston and his habit of dancing during events. I tried not to look at his direction as I gave my share of laughter. The joking ended when Lord Magnus took the attention of everyone again.

“Now it’s time to tell you all the purpose of this public meeting! Today, you are all going to witness the fate of those filthy people who try to go against us!”

As if on his cue, a group of soldiers came marching towards the middle of the oval courtyard. In their midst were the three pirates I saw from last night. They were all chained heavily. I could also see that they endured heavy beatings.

The soldiers took them in front of us, away on a safe distance and then left them displayed as a spectacle. One of the pirates—the one who mentioned The Skull—caught my eyes. I felt a chill as I stared back at him. They were really scary.

“People of the West!” Lord Magnus called. “I present to you the monsters who threaten our seas!” His voice consumed the whole place. It was hard not to respond to him. People started screaming and throwing curses to the pirates. Some of them even threw rocks at them. I gasped in horror as it hit one of the pirates.

“I don’t want to witness this violence!” I muttered under my breath. My mother heard me and gave me a sympathetic glance. That says we didn’t really have another choice.

Lord Magnus continued with the long list of the crimes the pirates committed. I didn’t think it was fair. He was generalizing all the pirates. It was as if he was projecting all the crimes of other pirates to these three—and that he was projecting all the crimes of these three against the Pirates as a whole.

When he asked the people what they should do with the pirates, they all answered, “Hang them!”

“That’s it!” Chester stood up energetically and walked forward near the pirates. It was then that I noticed that despite of the injustice of the treatment they had been getting, the fierceness and silence of the pirates seemed to be unbreakable.

“Hanging them will be the punishment!” Chester declared. “Maybe we could do it publicly, too!” I frowned at him unhappily. He really was half-ignorant and half-rude.

Lord Magnus thought about it and turned to my father for an opinion.

“A lifetime imprisonment won’t be enough for all the crimes you cited, Lord Magnus. And these are your people. You must prioritize what’s best for the future of the West.” My father’s words were neutral.

“Anyone else who would like to give their opinions?” Lord Magnus asked the crowd. No one seemed to think that hanging the pirates was wrong. When he was about to announce the obvious verdict, I raised my hand.

“This is completely wrong.” I didn’t know how my voice became louder. Probably because of the silence that embraced the surrounding the moment I raised my hand.

“What do you mean, Lady Primrose?” Lord Magnus asked. He looked curious and interested at what I’m about to say.

“The lady must be so threatened last night that she’s still scared they might hurt her,” Lord Chester remarked but his Lord Magnus cut him off with his hand. Chester’s manners were really laughable. He couldn’t even give courtesy to ladies when they were speaking.

I smiled at him warmly and stood from my seat. “It’s very kind and considerate of you, Lord Magnus, to have an interest in a girl’s opinion. I appreciate it very much. However, the way that this very important case was discussed is no doubt very haphazard. If I will just be basing on my personal thoughts, I would say to put back these pirates on the seas. Pirates bring bad luck to the land.”

That suggestion immediately earned whispered oppositions

“These pirates have been pestering us for many decades now,” Lord Magnus gently said to me.

“I know that. That’s why we shouldn’t come up with an immediate move that would make our morality, system of justice and sense of fairness suffer. We should think about it more carefully and not when our emotions are on its high. We might regret our reckless move in the future.”

The silence regained and people seemed to be eager to hear more. This encouraged me to speak and lay down all my suggestions.

“The list of crimes you said they committed should be applied individually. I don’t think that it’s right to punish people for some crimes they didn’t do. For example, they might have stolen the ship full of cargos and products but they didn’t molest women. This law should apply to all people. And they are still humans, they just—uh, look different.”

Law and morale brought everyone into thinking. “So what do you suggest, my lady?” That’s the proud voice of my father as he looked at me with a smile on his face.

“Well, I suggest giving them lifetime imprisonment and observing the pirates. You can all interrogate them to get to the others. This is the first time you caught pirates. You’re letting go of the chance of punishing a bigger number by letting go of the first clue you have to get to them.”

With that, I heard a single clap from the crowd. And then it was followed by other claps until it filled the whole place.

My parents looked at me proudly. “You got them, Prim,” I heard Tarnus said and I just smiled at him.

“This brilliant girl made me realized not to be brash on making decisions. Not when we are full of hatred against the pirates. Good thing, we didn’t lose our credibility in terms of fairness of justice in the west land forever. I think we should give it all a moment of critical thinking,” Lord Magnus told everyone. He turned to the silent Chester Weston and said, “That’s the girl I want you to marry.”

I paled. All the pride and happiness I felt crashed down. I didn’t want to marry him. And as I was escorted to be back on the mansion, I caught the pirates staring at me. I guess the chill would never leave me now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 21.8K 104
It was supposed to be an easy job. Get the phone and run like hell. Make a few hundred bucks for food, a nice hot shower, and a warm bed to sleep in...
119 23 8
I've never believed in fairytales, superstitions or fears of fantasy worlds. It's the year 1871, and yet people still believe in such idiotic stories...
3.2K 644 34
The Obsidian Key is no ordinary tale like others. The dashing red hair twenty-three-year-old Ria Shay who lives in the twenty first century gets chea...
3.5K 325 25
I have suffered a lot. And he made sure to make me suffer more. He did every possible way to torture me. But he didn't realize, I am the princess...