Break Away (on hold)

By Angellover13

16 year old, Maria Duval is from a planet named Verlia. This world is full of strict codes, and regulations... More

Break Away-2
Break Away-3
Break Away-4
idk

Break Away

61 6 4
By Angellover13

For Nat :)

I sit at my desk quietly. Mrs.Hidie passes each desk with a meter long ruler in her hand, watching each and everyone of us closely.  As Mrs.Hidie, a thick woman with long brown hair, and black eyes approaches me, she sneers. Everyone at Draconian Academy for girls know how easy I am. People always try to break me.

We have a strict policy. No loose hairs, no makeup, no pants, shorts, or skirts. It's all black dresses, and tight hair buns. In this new world, men are a sin. None of us in Droconian Academy have ever in our lives once seen a male. It's forbidden. Men are a curse, and anyone caught next to, talking about, with, listening to, looking at, breathing on, are beheaded.

We live in Verlia. A world of order, and strictness.  In Verlia the world is split into two sections. The Girls, and womens section, and the men and boys section.

"Maria."Head mistress Aleena calls.

I stand slowly, my head held high, and my hands tucked behind my back,"Yes Head Mistress?"I say in robot form.

"Come to me. It's your turn for the reading of the Decree,"She said, her pointed nose held up in the air.

I nod, and walk to the front of the large auditorium. I had been dreading this day since they first told me that it was my week. The Decree is a large book, that's held on a podium that states all rules, and regulations. They only place the book infront of you to tempt you. You are to know this book inside and out since the day you're born.

In birth they progam you with a chip inserted into the brain, that gives you the knowledge of the Decree. Only the girls with the best brains can remember once you turn one week old. You are to know this by heart. Any baby that cannot remember is beheaded, by the birthing mother.

I stand infront of the Decree, and forbid my eyes to take one look. Just one look could have me beaten. I look out amongst my fellow girls, and straighten my back. I am the ninth oldest. At 16 years old I should know all. Luckily, I do.

So I begin.

I go through the rules, one by one, explaining, and enforcing them. I had never told anyone that I didn't like the rules. You're to act, follow, love, and agree with the Decree. Anyone who doesn't is burned in acid.

Everything went perfect. When I was done, it was quiet. Head mistress, nodded,"Very nice. Get the brander."She said to the woman next to her.

I almost flinched. I am not allowed to show emotion. 

Getting burned with the brander is a priviledge. You are burned on your back until you have eightteen marks. You get your first mark when burned. Once you recieve all eightteen, you're free. You no longer have to go to the academy. You are free to roam and meet other free woman on our side of the world.

The lady stuck the brander in the fire, waiting until the rusted metal turned red, with warmth. When being branded you must take it. If you cry, scream, flinch, bit your lip, or resist, the skin is taken from your back, and placed with new skin. Then you must start all over again.

The lady hands Head Mistress the Branding iron, and she walks to me. Someone pushes the podium away so everyone can see me. The lady unzips the back of my dress, just to where it's three inches from my waistline. Head mistress turned me around so everyone can see, and count how many marks I have. I am not embarrassed, I am not shameful, I am brave. I can do this. 

I don't even feel the branding iron touch my skin, until I smell the thick smoke of burning flesh. It intoxicates me, but I refuse to remove from my sturdy postion.

Once the branding is done, everyone claps, and cheers, the only emotion we are every allowed to show.  I wasn't happy, my body ached.

I turned back around to face the crowd of smiling, and proud girls. I spot my mother in the back, clapping but a big frown plastered on her face. Mrs.Hidie slaps mom in the back with the ruler, and hard. No one turns to look at her, or object the hitting. Head Mistress zips up my dress, letting the blood from my pack, soak into it. I clench my fists, as my mother fakes a smile. My mom is only 22. She got me at a very young age.

I can tell she's not happy either. I wanted to break that ruler over Mrs.Hidies head. Show her how it feels. I dare not say it though, because mom and i'd both beheaded.

"Go sit down Maria."Head mistress whisperes in my ear.

I nod and walk stiffly to my seat, when the clapping stops. The only sound is my black clunky heels slapping against the gray concrete floor. I pull my frown into a tight line, and sit in my seat. The girls around me are now focused forward, as the rest of the ceremony continue on.

One day. One day I'll leave this place, and I won't get caught. I might even take my mother with me.

Once the ceremony finished, everyone got up at once, and we were ordered to go to our dorms. We were all silent, and serious. Not one person said anything. All faces were tight.

When I got into my dorm, I sat down on my bed, and had my legs close together, and my hands in my lap staring at the wall. My roommate came in, and sat on her bed just as I did.

Mrs.Hidie poked in her round, face scowling at both of his. She slammed the door shut after us, and we both waited until her heavy footsteps were gone.

I heard my roommate let out a sigh of relief, and she got up. My roommate was a new girl named Lily, who didn't exactly follow the rules.

I stood up off my bed, and got out my tab, and sat it down on the bed. I sat cross legged on my bed, and let out groan.

"Do you want me to bandage your back?"Lily asked. She was only 9 years old.

She took her long blond hair from her pony tale, and shook her head. I shook my head slowly,"No ma'am."I said polietly.

I took the wires from my tab, and put them on my temples. Tab's are like holograms. You think whatever you want, and it writes it. You can put pictures, and videos also.

"What time is repast?"She asked in her light squeaky voice.

Repast is where we go to eat. We have breakfast every morning at 5 a.m. We have the same thing every morning. Oatmeal with apple slices, and a side of milk, and bacon.

For dinner we have a choice. We are allowed to have anything to eat, the only variety we have.

"6 p.m."I said looking up at her.

I began writing down my thoughts. I usually kept them private, and used my tab at night, when it was time to sleep. I was sure that Lily wouldn't turn me in thought.

All the sudden there was a knock on the door. Lily panicked and quickly put her hair back in a tight bun. She sat back on her bed with a tight expression. I slid my tab under my pillow, and took off the wires. I got up, being the oldest, and went to the door, opening it slowly.

Mom stared down at me with unamused expression.

"May I come in?"She asked.

"Yes ma'am."I said, and stepped aside, letting her past.

I shut the door behind her and she groaned,"I hate this place."She muttered, and went to my bed flopping down.

Lily looked confused, but quickly turned back to her previous expression, once mom looked at her.

"It's ok. I won't behead you."Mom said with a smile.

Lily had a little grin and nodded,"Thank you."

Mom turned back to me, and patted the bed next to her. I walked over, and sat down next to her.

"Congrats on your sixteenth mark."She spat sarcastically.

I loved my mother. Everyone had these mothers that wouldn't dare see their daughters, and they absolutely loved the rules. But, not her. She was only sour when it came to the rules. She dispised everyone, on Verlia, accept myself, and her. She didn't like the rules, and believed they were too harsh.

"Thank you. Two more and I'm out."I said.

"Turn around. I want to do your hair."She said.

I nodded and turned my back to her. She pulled the thick band out of my hair, and let my red hair fall to my waist. Mom got up on her knees and began running her fingers through it. Lily walked over cautiously, and she sat down to watch.

"I'm Lily."She said quietly.

"Hello Lily. I'm Miranda."She said with a big grin.

Lily smiled,"Is Maria your daughter?"

Mom nodded,"She is."

I closed my eyes feeling her nimble fingers grip different strands of hair. A dutch braid was my favorite. It made me feel better.

"What would happen if we didn't wear buns?"Lily asked.

"You ask a lot of questions."Mom said.

"I'm only curious."She stated crossing her arms.

"Curiosity can get you in trouble."Mom said shooting her a glance.

"You didn't answer my question."Lily said.

"You'd be scalped."I cut in.

"What if we were to cut off our hair?"She asked.

"You'd be sent to the other half of the world."Mom said.

I heard the Repast bell, and I sighed. Mom quickly undid the braid, and put it back in a slicked back bun. She got off the bed, an smoothed down her dress.

She turned, but on a serious expression, and exited the room, quietly. Lily got off my bed, and opened the door. I followed close behind her and we both put on serious expressions.

We got into a line, that was followed by many other girls. One by one, we went single file into the hall. Once I recieved my food, I went to my assigned seat, and sat down. All at once, everyone picked up their fork, and took a single bite of food. Then we put down our fork, and picked up a napkin, wiping our faces. We all did this in unison. We all took equal amounts of food onto our fork, and we all finished at the same time.

Head mistress entered the room, and everyone stopped eating, accept one girl. We heard a knife cut clean skin, and saw her head roll onto the floor. No one thought anything of it. No one bothered to stop it. I wanted to. I wanted to shove that blade through their neck, and watch their golden blood spill onto the floor. I wanted to watch their head roll across the concrete.

"Anyways."Head Mistress said. She had her muscular arms by her side and her head high. "Let's all give Maria a round of applause, for being the first to read the Decree, and get the first mark of the season."

Everyone began clapping in unison, so it sounded like one large clap. I stared straight ahead, watching Head Mistress.

"Stop clapping!"Head Mistress barked quickly.

Everyone stopped, and it was quiet again. Head mistress put on a evil smile, and put her hands behind her back.

"Is everyone enjoying Repast?"Head mistress asked.

"Yes ma'am Head Mistress Aleena."We all said in unison.

"Good. I have special news. Tomorrow we are not having a ceremony, due to....difficulties. Instead, we all will be doing an extra day of chores, and prayer."She announced.

I almost groaned  out loud, but instead kept it in. I hated chores. They mostly consisted of cleaning the scalping and acid chambers. We also had to clean the whole castle, from top to bottom. Prayer was basically praying to Head Mistress for forgiveness. I never really prayed though, I only pretended. I had once read this book called a Bible, that I had found in the restricted area of the library. It was so intresting, that I programed into my tab.

There were men in this Bible. It was so fastinating.

"Continue on. And since we will be working hard tomorrow, we will be having lights out at seven, instead of eight."Head mistress, and her guards left, leaving all of us girls alone.

We all continued eating. I couldn't wait to go to bed. I'd get to read more of the Bible, and I'd get to write in my tab.

_______________________________________________________________________________

VOTE!

COMMENT!!

FAN!!!

THIS IS A NEW STYLE OF CREATIVE THINKING FOR ME. IT MIGHT BE A TAD GORY. ANYWAYS WISH ME LUCK!!!:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...