Trouble in Paradise (Romantic...

By EliseNoble

When Callie Shawcross's wedding plans fall apart, a friend convinces her that a relaxing break in the sleepy... More

Intro
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue - Part 1
Epilogue - Part 2
Epilogue - Part 3
The Trouble Series
Looking for something else to read on Wattpad?
Or if you prefer something lighter...
End of Book Stuff
Or if romance is more your thing...

Chapter 5

17.6K 993 110
By EliseNoble

I was nodding off on my sunlounger when I heard footsteps approaching from behind. Noooooo! Please don't let this be another weirdo with a freaky fetish.

I was feigning sleep when Kat shook my shoulder and screeched in my ear.

"Wake up!"

"Ouch."

"Sorry. Are you awake now?"

I glared at her. "What do you think?"

"Oh, good. Mo's had a cancellation, so we thought you might like to have a go at wakeboarding."

"I'm good right here. I think lying down's more my thing."

Kat put her hands on her hips. "Perhaps I should have made things clearer. It isn't optional. You came to Egypt to have a good time, and wakeboarding's the best fun you can have on the water."

"I think sunbathing on a yacht would be more enjoyable."

"Well, we don't have a yacht, so this is gonna have to do." She grabbed my arm and tried to pull me up.

A groan escaped my lips. I'd been watching people being towed around the lagoon, and the whole process looked a bit scary. One poor man had attempted a backflip and landed head first. I wasn't even athletic. At school, I'd barely managed a forward roll in gym class without embarrassing myself.

I tried again to get out of it. "What about Eid? Won't he be there? I don't fancy another interrogation."

"He's gone to Sharm el-Sheikh to buy accessories for his iPad. He only left half an hour ago so he won't be back for ages."

With no excuses left, I let Kat tug me to my feet and shuffled along behind her in the direction of the watersports centre. Deep down, I still wasn't sure about this, but I also knew Kat was right. I should try new things. Peter's comment about me being boring replayed as well. I'd show him.

Which was why, twenty minutes later, I had my feet stuffed into a pair of funky trainers that were attached to a worryingly small plank.

"Don't be nervous," Mo said, giving me a reassuring smile.

"I can't help it. I've never done anything like this before." Unless you counted trying to ride on our next-door neighbour's skateboard when I was seven, which had resulted in two scraped knees and mum having to pick grit out of my hands with a pair of tweezers.

"You'll be fine, I promise. We won't try anything fancy today. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll fall into the water."

Or drown. He forgot to mention drowning.

"Hold onto my hand," he said, and I squeezed it so tightly that he winced.

Pivoting the board on the edge of the platform at the back of the boat, he lowered me slowly into the water. It may have been thirty degrees on the beach, but the water was freezing as it seeped under my buoyancy vest. I couldn't help squealing as my body sank under the surface.

"Are you okay?" Mo asked, concern radiating from his eyes.

I tried to stop my teeth from chattering. "N-n-never better."

Kat leaned over and took a picture of me with her phone. "That'll be a good one for Facebook."

"Don't you dare! You know I don't do social media."

She pouted at me. "Come on, loosen up."

"Hey, at least I'm having a go at this."

Before we could start bickering, Mo turned around from his seat in front of the wheel. "Okay, you remember what I taught you? Stay in a crouching position until the momentum of the boat pulls you upright."

I nodded. That was what I planned to do.

Only it didn't quite work out that way. The instant the boat pulled away, I got pulled over forwards, let go of the rope and did a face plant. I came to the surface spluttering as Mo drew the boat up alongside me.

"Just relax more on the next try. I can see the stress in your shoulders."

No kidding. I had more tension than a tightrope.

He passed the handle back to me and we tried again. This time, I tipped over sideways but swallowed marginally less water. That was an improvement, right? At least Mo was kind enough not to laugh, unlike Kat. I could see her snapping away on her phone while she giggled. Tell me again, why did I agree to this? If I survived, I'd be revoking our friendship as soon as I set foot back on the beach.

"Try keeping your knees bent for longer," Mo suggested. "That way you won't be so unbalanced."

Well, that time I didn't tip over forwards. I did, however, give myself a saltwater enema and came fairly close to drowning before I accepted defeat and let go.

Mo stopped beside me again. I must have been frustrating him to no end, but he was still smiling.

"I know you're tired, but we'll have one more go today—this time point your toes more."

I tried that, not expecting much, but suddenly I ended up on my feet, being pulled along by the boat at what felt like a hundred miles an hour. I managed a good twenty yards before a wave unbalanced me and the board shot out to the side.

Still, I'd done it! I couldn't help grinning as Mo helped me back on board. I was knackered and dripping wet, but for those few seconds... What a rush!

"That was good," he said, smiling his shy smile and handing me a towel. "Soon you will be a pro."

That was a little generous of him, but I appreciated the sentiment.

"I got it all on film," Kat announced.

"I don't suppose I could convince you to erase everything but the last ten seconds?"

"No chance! When you're old and grey, you'll look back fondly on these moments."

Ah yes, the day I inhaled the Red Sea. What a great memory to treasure.

When the boat returned to shore, Kat scurried off to assist a customer while Mo helped me onto the jetty. It was a relief to be on dry land again.

"Thanks for taking me out," I said.

"You're welcome. You did well for a first lesson."

"I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer to be where Kat was sitting—that way, I could just admire the scenery without swallowing salty water."

My throat still stung from it, and I made a face.

"Would you like a drink to take the taste away? We have mint tea and karkade."

"Yes, please. Mint tea would be lovely."

Mo made my drink, pouring out a third mug for Kat as well. Hers was the one with three sugars. She always said she could never be sweet enough.

"Have you always lived in Fidda Hilal?" I asked.

"No, I come from Cairo. I moved here six years ago."

"I can see why—it's beautiful." Sun, sea, a few palm trees—what could be prettier?

"It's not just the scenery. Life is slower, more relaxed. In Cairo, it's always so busy."

He handed me my tea and I blew the steam away, savouring the refreshing aroma.

"Will you ever move back there, do you think?"

His shy smile reappeared. "Not as long as Kat is here. I'll live wherever she lives."

Aw, he was as smitten with her as she was with him. I was so glad they'd found each other.

When Kat and Mo returned to work, I headed to my terrace. I'd cricked my neck in one of my tumbles, and when I worked it back and forth, pain shot up one side. Despite my moment of triumph at the end, I wasn't sure I was cut out for wakeboarding. Maybe I could try a different kind of activity? Something a little less strenuous, like working my way through the alcohol-free cocktail menu? I picked up the room-service booklet. No time like the present, eh? Ooh, was that chocolate gateau?

Perhaps this day wouldn't be so bad after all...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 194 25
Anaya and Avil, the two can't stand each other's presence. To her, Avil is the Satan himself and to him, she is the devil. The two have been enemies...
43K 2.7K 45
Bianca Daleman only has two rules. First, never lose control. And second, never marry anyone until she is certain it won't end in divorce. While i...
558 144 31
After losing her mum in a accident, Stella Brooks got plotted against by her stepsisters and her childhood friend. After been drugged in a club by he...
334K 13.4K 25
For recent law school grad Charlotte Maxwell, real life has never been so good. On a post-graduation vacation with her best friend, the last thing Ch...