Skurdulka the Cryptid (a nonb...

By FlyBiEnby

My best friend is an idiot crushing on a jerk. Instead of eating peanut butter cups at his house on Halloween... More

Part 1: Skurdulka's House
Part 2: Any Last Words?
Part 3: Pacing
Part 4: Covenant
Part 5: The Rat
Part 6: Ash
Part 8: 'Normal'
Part 9: Proposal
Part 10: Mr. Lasser
Part 11: Dinner
Part 12: Trust
Part 13: Change
Part 14: Ghosts

Part 7: The Monster's Wrath

298 27 4
By FlyBiEnby

Heart pounding, I scrambled to my feet. "Ash, run!" I cried, running to the door. "Run!"

Skurdulka stood on the porch as the enormous dog, growling and snapping. Open-mouthed, wide-eyed, Ash stood in front of them, frozen.

The creature advanced, growling, and Ash tried to back away. He stumbled, falling backwards.

"Leave him alone!" I shouted.

Skurdulka lunged. Screaming, Ash covered his face and rolled. Skurdulka's claws barely missed him, colliding with dirt and leaves. Ash scrambled away, rising to his hands and knees. Skurdulka lashed out again, striking Ash across the back and pushing him down.

"Leave—him—ALONE!" With a running start, I body-slammed the dog. Yelping, Skurdulka rolled through the leaves. I fell hard onto the dirt and recovered fast, trying to get to Ash before Skurdulka could get back up.

"Get up, get up!" I tried yanking Ash to his feet, but he stumbled on shaking legs. "You gotta run, come on!"

Behind me, Skurdulka snapped and snarled, angrier than ever. I spun around, holding my arms out in front of Ash. "No! Leave him alone!"

Skurdulka swiped a paw in the air and I flinched, but I held my ground in front of Ash. Inside my chest, more than a thought or a feeling, I knew I couldn't let Skurdulka hurt him. I just couldn't.

"Just let him go, okay?" My shouting voice dropped to a plea. "You can do whatever you want to me. Just, just let him go."

Skurdulka's snarl quieted to a dangerous growl. Their red eyes stayed fixed on Ash.

"It was just a mistake. H-he'll leave, he won't tell anybody about this." I bit my lip.

The giant black dog's ears slid back. They crouched, about to lunge.

"Please!" I dropped to my knees, looking up at the hound. I never would've begged for my own life. But it didn't take a second thought to beg for Ash's. "Just let him go." I swallowed hard, but my voice still cracked. "He's not like the others. He's really not. He's special. He sees me. Like your friend did. Please."

Skudulka's growl fell quiet. They stood there, breathing heavily. Their red eyes flicked to Ash, then back to me.

"I'm sorry your friend is gone. I really, really am." Tears spilled down my cheeks. "But please... don't hurt mine."

The giant dog straightened from their crouch. Their ears slid forward again. For several moments, they just stared at me, silent.

I blinked and Skurdulka stood again, upright and tall, clothed in black rags. With their black hair swept back, I saw their face clearly. In their eyes, on their thin, barely-knitted brow, I saw regret.

"Oh my God," Ash uttered. "It's, it's Skurdulka."

"Ash." I grabbed him by the shoulders. "You have to go. You never saw any of this, okay? Just go and—"

"Silence." Skurdulka's rasping voice cut across mine. They strode through the dead leaves towards us, their red eyes, fiery with anger again, fixed on Ash.

I stood in front of him. "Please, Skur—"

 "He cannot leave." Their eyes swung back to mine. They scowled. I wasn't sure if it would be better or worse to convince them that I didn't tell Ash about them, but that look said they probably wouldn't believe me anyway. Turning, Skurdulka headed for the house. "Come." 

Ash grabbed my arm.

I flinched, sucking in air through my teeth. 

Blood smeared on Ash's hand. Taking my elbow, he looked down at the gashes on my arm. "Oh my God. Did that thing do that to you?" He looked up at me. "Is that what happened to your face? Did he hit you?"

"They." I dabbed the cuts with my shirt. "Skurdulka is a 'they.'"

"I don't care if it's a—"

"Ash." I looked him hard in the eyes. "They're a they. It's important."

Ash drew a breath. "Did they do this to you?"

I nodded. "But, look—they're not bad. They're not what everyone thinks."

"What are you talking about? Look at what they did to you! That is not okay!"

"No, look, they think I broke the rules, but if we--"

Skurdulka whirled around on the porch. "Come!"

Ash and I exchanged nervous looks. We headed towards the porch. I couldn't think of anything else to do. I wanted Ash to run and not look back, but surely Skurdulka would just turn into the dog again--or maybe something worse--and run him down. I had to protect Ash. 

They stood at the door and watched us step inside the dilapidated house. Slamming the door behind us, darkness closed in. I swallowed hard and glanced at Ash, his face full of terror. 

You idiot. Why'd you have to come and look for me? 

Skurdulka's glare fell on Ash, then on me. Crouching down, the cryptid grabbed a fistful of my shirt and pulled me close. 

"Hey, leave them alone!" Ash protested. 

Skurdulka snatched up the front of his shirt as well, and tugged him. "A spineless village sends children as the envoys of their mob." That deadly glare shifted again between us. 

"We're not from a m-mob." Ash's voice shook. "I didn't know about you. No one knows about you, I swear!" 

"Then why did you come?" 

A lump slid down Ash's throat. "I, I was worried." He glanced at me. "I was worried about them."  

"Tell him the covenant," I said quickly. "The covenant you said to me, Ash'll follow it too." I looked at him. "Right, Ash?" 

"Uh..." He met my urgent look. "Yeah." He nodded vigorously. "Yeah, yeah. I'll do the covenant too." 

Pushing Ash down, hard, Skurdulka grabbed me in both hands. "You have already broken the covenant!" Their eyes narrowed. "Telling tales of the beast in the woods. Telling me lies to scratch at my scars." They shook me. "Is this what you wanted? The monster's wrath?" 

Ash grabbed Skurdulka's wrists, trying to pull them off me. "Stop it!" 

Releasing me, they pulled out of Ash's grip and raised a sharp backhand towards him. 

"No!" I reached out both hands, pulling their wrist. With a snarling cry, Skurdulka struck with their other hand, hitting me across the face. 

The hit exploded across my face. I hit the floor, but barely felt it. The edge's of Skurdulka's black rags swam across my vision, blending with the dark. Ash's face was a blurry beacon of light over me. Through my pulse, like drumbeats against my skull, I heard muffled words. 

"You son of a bitch!" Ash cried. He sounded far away. Then, his voice got softer. "Oh no. Oh God. C-can you hear me? Wake up, c'mon." 

I blinked. Those black rags shuffled closer. 

"Get away! You touch them again and I'll--"

"Ash." I pulled on his shirt. "Don't." Blinking through the haze, I struggled to sit up. Ash held my arm, avoiding the cuts. I held my head with my other hand. From the merciless throbbing through my skull, it felt like my brains should've been leaking out. I tried hard to focus, and Skurdulka's tall shape came into view. I coughed and winced, feeling like my head was imploding. "I didn't--tell anyone," I croaked. "And I wasn't lying." I peered up at them. "And I do know what it's like. To be lonely. To be angry." 

The floorboards creaked under Skurdulka's steps. 

"Get away!" Ash hugged me closer. "Don't you hurt them!" His voice was thick was tears. 

"No." Skurdulka crouched down. As my vision cleared, I saw the anger and coldness in their expression had cracked into remorse. "No more. I did not mean... I am sorry." They moved closer and Ash leaned protectively over me. Skurdulka extended a hand. "Please. Let me help."  

#

Author's Note: Thanks for stopping by! Pop in again next Sunday night / Monday morn, Dec  29/30 for the next chapter! Hope you all are having happy holidays and are getting ready to finally put this year out of its misery eash. I know I am!

(If it seems like Skurdulka had a bit of a sudden change of heart in this episode, don't worry. Hopefully, it's clear already that the cryptid is conflicted about this whole situation, but their sudden remorse will be explained in the next installment. Feel free to leave a comment about this, I'd love to know what you think. Did it seem sudden? Or was it clear why they feel bad?) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.7K 3K 71
(Disclaimer: Heavy Language, blood, gore, underage drinking, sexual content(which means smut and some strip tease), drugs, mention of gang affiliatio...
132 6 14
When a mysterious will written by some distant maternal relative whom Aidan has never met lands on his doorstep, accompanied by a letter and a land d...
26.5K 987 32
The world isn't really what you think it is. Below the surface there is a battle for good and evil. Supernatural beings live, love and fight on both...
134 2 32
This is my first ever book and the cover isn't mine also this was based off a joke between me and my sister but now I'm taking it seriously and THE W...