My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

By _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Epilogue

5

6.3K 375 10
By _Becca_Lynn__

**** Alexander Brody Blanton was laying quietly in his isolat. He was clean and warm and his proud parents had counted fingers and toes and kissed him and each other. Beau was amazed at how strong the tiny fingers were when they grasped his.

Then, thirty minutes later, his sister decided to make her entrance into the world. "Even if the ultrasound hadn't said she was a girl we would have known." Beau had said and chuckled.

"Why?" Drina demanded as she rested from the last push. He pressed a cool cloth against her forehead and kissed her lovingly. "Because she's late."

"Ha, ha. Very funny."

"Ok Drina, her head's clear... one more big push and let's introduce her to her brother.

"Here... we.... gooooo, and she's out... and she's beautiful! And loud!" Rowdy exclaimed grinning from ear to ear. He held her up for Drina to see and waited for Beau to cut the cord before passing her along to Rachel.

"Well little lady, we don't have to tell you to breathe do we?" the nurse said, "My goodness what a pair of lungs you have." Rachel laughed as she cleaned and prepared the tiny bundle for her parents inspection. "I think we have another songbird on the ranch." She laughed and lay the soft, sweet baby in Beau's arms.

He smiled, kissed a tiny fist and then his wife, "She's so beautiful, baby. She looks just like you." He held their daughter so Drina could see her and then placed her in Drina's arms. Beau took his son from Rachel and for the first time, they held their babies together.

"They appear to be strong to be this early," Dr. Cox observed. "What do you think, Rachel? Do you have a scale there?" She asked.

"That's one of things that didn't come in time." She answered regretfully. "Except for being small, you wouldn't know they were this early, Doctor. They're both strong, breathing well and show a good APGAR score. They're amazing. Must be that bull rider blood." She teased.

Drina laughed, "Without a doubt, Rachel. Any guesses on how much they do weight?"

"Will they have to stay in the hospital long?" Beau asked.

"Well..." Rachel started when Drina gasped, "Beau!"

Carla quickly took the baby girl and handed her back to Rachel. Beau did the same with little Alex.

"Rowdy, what the heck's goin' on?" He demanded as another surprise contraction hit Drina.

"What's this? Looks like we have a stowaway." Rowdy laughed as another tiny head crowned. "Ok, Drina. You know the drill by now, another push aaaand... there's the head!"

The entire room was in shock. "Triplets?!" Dr. Cox asked, amazed. "There was never a sign of a third on the ultrasounds! And I never heard a third heartbeat! Watch closely, Rowdy. This one may... you... understand?"

"Gotcha, Doc. I'm on it." Rowdy assured the doctor that he was aware this child might not be as strong as its siblings.

"Rachel, are you ready for another installment of the Blanton legacy?" He asked as he cleared the mouth and nose.

"Ok, Drina, head's clear, let's get those shoulders out. One... more... big... puuush!"

Beau thought he would never have use of his right hand again, Drina squeezed it so hard. "You're doin' great, sweetheart, come on."

"Hoo raa! It's another girl! And she's gorgeous!" Rowdy laughed, so happy to have played a part in this wonderful time of his friend's life, and wondered briefly if he would ever watch his own child being born.

The surprise baby girl was smaller than either of the others and quiet. The tiny fists were clasped under her chin as she looked at the people around her and blinked. There was a room full of "Awwwwwwwws" as Rowdy cleared her mouth and handed her off to Rachel.

"She's so quiet Rowdy, why isn't she crying? Shouldn't she be crying?" Drina asked, fighting panic.

Rachel cleaned and carefully rolled the living doll while pleading softly "Come on baby, cry. Come on now, get mad baby, tell me off, come on baby cry." The room was quiet as Rachel worked with the infant making sure the online Dr could see. Suddenly number three screwed up her tiny face and screamed. The concerned nurse laughed with sheer delight as she bundled the howling newborn and held her up for all to see. Though she was clearly screaming her head off as Beau later told his mother and Yancy, her voice was still so soft. Across the room, the other nurse barely heard the angry bundle.

"Oh my!" Dr Cox exclaimed, "That's the new one? The third one? Making that beautiful music box sound?"

Rowdy laughed. "That's her, Doc. I think we've got a crooner."

"I've never heard anything more lovely," Rachel exclaimed as she held her charge up for the Dr to see.

"How is she, Rachel?" Drina and Beau asked. Dr Cox asked what's the first APGAR Rachel?

"Seven, hands and feet are a little blue, and as you heard it took some stimulation for her to cry and she wasn't moving much on her own. She's tiny, but appears to be strong otherwise. She's certainly breathing on her own, as you can all hear, now. Her overall color is good, heart is strong. Amazing, she seems to be doing very well, doctor, she's just so tiny. I'll be glad when you can take a look at her. I'll give you another APGAR in five."

Beau was peering over the nurse's shoulder as she worked with his youngest daughter, "Will we be able to hold her, doctor? She's so tiny, but she's beautiful. Drina, baby, wait till you see her, she's amazing!" He gushed so excited to be looking at their little surprise, their wonderful miracle baby girl.

"Rachel, what do you think?" Doctor Cox left the decision to her trusted nurse.

"Her APGAR is better now, I'd give it a nine now. She still on the quiet side, but I think as long as we get her under the warmer soon she'll will be ok." She smiled and layed the tiny bundle in Beau's arms.

"Oh, Beau. Look at her, she's like a tiny, little doll! She's perfect." The new parents thought there could be no more perfect moment than having had three beautiful, healthy babies.

"Yes, she is, sweetheart. Absolutely perfect, just like her mother." Beau said as tears of happiness ran freely down his face.

Rachel suggested that Drina hold her for a moment as they needed to get her in the warm isolette and prepared for transfer to the hospital.

The doctor smiled from the screen, but her eyes were serious. "Beau, I realize the ranch has a small helicopter, but I would like to send the hospital's emergency helicopter. The team can bring them all in the onboard isolette and Drina can be transported with them. We don't want to separate them if we can help it."

"Of course, Doctor. We can clear an area in front so the helo can set down not far from the clinic." He answered. "I won't be far behind."

"That will be fine, fine. I'll notify them immediately and get the team on the way. The sooner we get them here the better. By the way, Rowdy, do you need anything that I could send to you with the team on their trip out?"

"Couple cold beers and a pizza would be nice." Rowdy suggested.

"A glass of red wine for me please, mom." Rachel added.

"I'll take a Strawberry Daiquiri!" Carla called.

"Double cheese burger, large fries and chocolate milk shake for me." Beau chimed.

"Chicken strips, fries and sweet tea hold the ice please." The new mother added.

The doctor grinned "I'll see what I can do about all that. Oh, Rachel, would you mind coming in the copter or with Beau?"

"Of course not."

"Well, I'll see most of you in an hour or so. You all three did a great job, particularly on such short notice. My compliments on your medical training and expertise, Rowdy. I couldn't have done better."

"Thank you." They both answered, pleased at the compliment from someone he respected.

Dr. Cox nodded to her daughter, "I'm very proud of the way this emergency situation was handled by all three of you. Rachel, your father will be pleased as well. "She beamed at her oldest daughter. "When you drive over bring Tad and my grandchildren. Drop them off at my place. Your father is there and it's been too long since we spent time with our son-in-law and grandkids."

"Thanks, mom, and you can count on it. Tad is off duty for a few days. And the boys and Nancy have been begging to see Mamaw, and Papaw. So you can be sure that we'll be there." She blew her mother a kiss, and returned to her task.

Dr. Cox looked back to Rowdy. "Rowdy, my daughter tells me that you went to Medical School after your discharge from the Army, but didn't finish. Is that correct?"

Shocked the cowdoy nodded, "Yes, ma'am." He looked around the room eyes wide.

Dr. Cox smiled, "What was your specialty?"

"Trauma, ma'am."

"That makes sense... you know there is a huge call for that. We don't have enough quality Trauma surgeons, especially in a ranching community. If you ever decide to continue, which I hope you do, Let me know. I'll save a spot for you on my staff. You know my husband is a Trauma Surgeon don't you? Bill and I would be honored to sponsor you. There will always be a place for you here."

Beau and his wife both spoke up then, "I don't think so! Quit trying to lure my right hand away.ĺ" Both looked at each other and laughed.

Beau grinned, "The 3B has dibbs on him. You know, Doc... when we were kids, all he ever talked about was one day bein' a doctor. When we were in... umm... unnamed places... his experience was invaluable, not only to our men, but to the locals as well. He was and is highly respected and irreplaceable." He grinnned at his best friend. "A whole slew of us, including myself, wouldn't be breathin' today if not for Rowdy. Any help to get him to finish would be greatly appreciated. He has a lot to offer."

"We'll be happy to give him an encouraging kick in the pants Beau." She answered, winking at the red headed cowboy.

Rowdy blushed and cleared his throat. "Let's um, let Drina rest up a bit and then get Mama and these babies ready for transport."

***

The hospital was a buzz about the twins that had turned into triplets. The "little dolly" as Yancy had immediately dubbed her had somehow remained hidden behind the others. She had even evaded the ultrasound. She was the tiniest of all three and the most at risk, but surprisingly healthy and strong. She would have to stay in the hospital longer than her brother and sister, but with so many volunteering to stay with her, they had no doubt she would go home healthy... and spoiled.

Beau and Lillie followed in his Dodge Ram. They spent time watching the three little miracles while Drina slept. Beau and Lillie fed, cuddled and rocked the first two babies until Drina had rested enough to begin nursing.

The stowaway had to stay in the neo-natal unit. But they were still able to feed and touch her through the entrance holes and were soon able to hold and rock her. Beau thought he had never seen anything more beautiful in his entire life, with the exception of his wife.

Two days later, Drina and the twins were discharged with the two ranch nurses assisting. At first, Drina refused to leave, she was staying with her daughter and that was that. The Doctor was able to convince her that resting at home with the help from the nurses and family would be of greater benefit. Dr. Cox advised her that sending breast milk for the volunteers and nurses to feed "the dolly" would be best start she could give and the other two needed her at home.

Granpa Yancy had fallen completely in love with his "little dolly". He had requested and was given the honor of naming her. The little dolly became Carlyn (meaning 'Little Champion' in Irish). She quickly stold hearts all over the nursery staff. She gained and thrived with all the love and care. The family and ranch members took turns staying at the hospital to help care for her. Carla took over so Beau could go back to the ranch, rest and get some work done. Rowdy took over for Carla who was relieved by Yancy and Genny. And by that time, Bobbi was able to start her leave of absence. She and Lillie had to pull rank to get Yancy to leave. While he loved all three of his grand babies, he was growing especially fond of his, "Little Dolly". He had to be reminded that he needed rest, the ranch needed him and the others wanted a chance to help as well.

Brett made sure to get some time in with little Cārlyn before additional information forced him back to work. He was delighted that he had been at the ranch for the birth of his nieces and nephew. Like the rest of his family, Brett was calling his niece Carlie (except Granpa Yancy) by the time she was released to go home.

After three weeks Carlyn, Britany, and Alex were reunited once again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.2K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...
901 103 25
After a drunk driving accident took an innocent man's life, Brenda's father is behind bars. Her life will never be the same. With only her brother an...
9.1K 465 20
After a terrible incident and a nasty divorce, (y/n) moves to Montana on the suggestion from her old friend, Jenny Hoyt, to get away from everything...
577K 13.1K 32
When Rebecca moves back to her hometown for a friend's wedding, unfortunate circumstances put her near her ex-boyfriend, who left her completely brok...