Glee: Back to the Top (the th...

By arias3

The time has finally arrived. The moment every McKinley student awaits from the moment they first step foot o... More

Season Six [Glee FanFic #3]
Chapter 1: Over the Summer
Chapter 2: Brand New Day
Chapter 3: Burning Bridges
Chapter 4: Assembly
Chapter 5: The Next One
Chapter 6: Captains
Chapter 7: Fantasy Mentors
Chapter 8: Nearly Famous
Chapter 9: Boyfriend Draft
Chapter 10: Date Night
Not a Chapter-- SONG LIST ^_^
Chapter 11: Punk
Chapter 12: Loaded Gun
Chapter 13: The Fall
Chapter 14: Salute
Chapter 15: Girls Also Poop
Chapter 16: Election Day
Chapter 17: It's a Boy Girl Thing
Chapter 18: Nonbinary
Chapter 19: Muse
Chapter 20: Jalie
Chapter 21: Facebook 1.0
Chapter 22: The Dark I Know Well
Chapter 23: The Dance-Off
Chapter 24: Monster Mash
Chapter 25: The Haunted House
Chapter 26: Let's Talk About Sex
Chapter 27: The Guilty Ones
Chapter 28: Spring Awakening
I'm Figuring Out How to Use Tumblr...
RP
Chapter 29: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Chapter 30: Ok
Chapter 31: The Return
Chapter 32: The Mission
Chapter 33: Sacrifice
Chapter 34: Pretty Little Liar
Chapter 35: The District Championship
Chapter 36: Party Crashers
Chapter 37: Game Night
Chapter 38: The Alumni
Chapter 39: The One Where They All Sing
Chapter 40: Always
Chapter 41: Winter Ball
Chapter 42: Ice and Snow
Chapter 43: Jealousy
Chapter 44: Stupid Girls
Chapter 45: Into the Woods
Chapter 46: Nothing Lasts Forever
Chapter 47: Face Off
Chapter 48: Good Job
Chapter 49: The Paper View
Chapter 50: Country
Chapter 51: Love Song
Chapter 52: Feels Like Love
Chapter 53: Disney 3.0
Chapter 54: Surprised
Chapter 55: Spring Musical
Chapter 57: Motown
Chapter 58: Diva's Lament
Chapter 59: Accepted
HIATUS CONTEST!
Chapter 60: On the Open Road
Chapter 61: Enemy
Chapter 62: The Bachelor
Chapter 63: Those We Don't Notice
Chapter 64: Until We Can't Ignore Them Anymore
OPEN THIS
Chapter 65: Last Chance
Chapter 66: Healing
Chapter 67: Carry On
Chapter 68: Everybody Loves Prom
Chapter 69: A Night to Remember
Chapter 70: Gleedo
Chapter 71: Santana's Crazy and You Know It
Chapter 72: Pressure
Chapter 73: Houston, Do We Have a Problem?
Chapter 74: World of Chances
Awards

Chapter 56: Goodbye Bree

2.2K 55 32
By arias3

Over a week has gone by since the last chapter. And now we are on the week of the musical (just so there's no confusion!). I'm really trying to post as much as possible to meet my deadline but also to make up for not posting very often in the last week or so!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie stood in the middle of the stage, with Harmony beside her, her arms crossed. "I can't take much more of this," Julie was saying. "This obsessive-compulsive-control-freak paranoia!"

"What?" Harmony responded.

"What's going on?" Will asked as he took a seat with the rest of the cast in the audience. 

"They insisted that they were off book for this scene already," Emma whispered.

["Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent begins to play. I know Rachel and Mercedes did it, but they didn't do it fully, so now my girls will!]

"I didn't pierce my nipples, because it grossed you out," Julie hissed at Harmony, whose jaw was open and ready to cut her off. The front row, which consisted of the New Directions, chuckled. "I didn't stay at the Kink Club, because you wanted to go home!"

"You were flirting with the woman in rubber," Harmony pointed out, her eyes wide.

"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me!" Julie exclaimed. "Gimme a break!"

"Wow, they are really great," Will said. 

Emma nodded. "I know!" she exclaimed. "It's only been one week and we haven't even blocked out the song but they were so excited about this number!"

Julie: Every single day, I walk down the street, I hear people say 'baby's so sweet'. Ever since puberty. Everybody stares at me. Boys, girls, I can't help it baby. So be kind and don't lose your mind... Just remember that I'm your baby!

Julie grabbed Harmony's hands and started to dance with her. "Is this weird for you?" Ryder asked Jake.

"Not at all," he responded. "You?"

"Nope," Ryder grinned. Bree, who was sitting beside them, rolled her eyes at them and turned her attention back to the performance. She'd never be able to compete vocally with those two, so she'd have to at least kill it with her acting.

Julie: Take me for what I am! Who I was meant to be! And if you give a damn. Take me baby. Or leave me...

Harmony pulled away beginning to storm off.

Julie: Take me or leave me

Julie, however, did what Maureen would've done and hopped on top of the piano, which was the only prop currently on the stage. Harmony turned around, her hands on her hips, and watched as Julie put on a show.

Julie: A tiger in a cage. Can never see the sun. This diva needs her stage, baby, lets have fun! You are the one I choose. Folks would kill to fill your shoes. You love the lime light too now baby.

As Julie got off of the piano, she began to toy with her Cheerios skirt, pretending to lift it up and putting it back down, while Harmony chased her around the piano. Will was blown away by how perfected this was despite the fact that they hadn't rehearsed this number at all.

Julie: So be mine but don't waste my time... Cryin' 'honey bear are you still my, my, my baby?'

"Don't you dare!" Harmony exclaimed as Julie tried to hug and kiss her. She stormed away once again and Julie followed her across the stage.

Julie: Take me for what I am! Who I was meant to be! And if you give a damn! Take me baby or leave me!

They stopped just as Harmony began to make her way off the stairs. "We'll need to build a staircase going up on the stage," Beiste told Marley, who jotted this down in her notepad.

Julie: No way, can I be what I'm not! But hey, don't you want your girl hot? Oh, don't fight, don't loose your head! 'Cause every night who's in your bed?

"Not in Jake's bad, that's for sure," Alex said under his breath. When word had gotten out about their failed attempts at their 'first time' together, the mocking had been almost endless. The guys turned to Jake and teased him with funny looks, so he rolled his eyes and kept his eyes on Julie, who was as great as ever.

Julie: Who! Who's in your bed?

"Kiss pookie?" Julie said, fluttering her eyes at Harmony, who rolled her eyes and walked around her back to the stage.

Harmony: It won't work. I look before I leap. I love margins and discipline. I make list in my sleep baby. Whats my sin? Never quit, I follow through. I hate mess but I love you! What do with my improptu baby?

"Make a note for Harmony to be more loving with Julie," Beiste whispered to Marley. "Right now, it only looks like one of them is into the other, even if they are supposed to be breaking up."

Harmony stomped back towards the piano while Julie followed, turning to the audience as she sang.

Harmony: So be wise 'cause this girl satisfies. You got a prize but don't compromise. You're one lucky baby! Take me for what I am!
Julie: A control freak...
Harmony: Who I was meant to be!
Julie: A snob yet over attentive
Harmony: And if you give a damn!
Julie: A loveable droll geek
Harmony: Take me baby or leave me!
Julie: An anal retentave

The two stood beside the piano and began to fight.

Both: That's it
Harmony: The straw that breaks my back
Both: I quit
Harmony: Unless you take it back!
Julie: Women, what is it about them?
Both: Can't live with them or without them!

The girls now stood at opposite sides of the piano and stomped on the top of it, singing to each other angrily. Julie felt guilty, taking the Juilliard offer without telling her, but perhaps it was better that way.

Both: Take me for what I am!
Harmony (Julie): Who I was meant to be! (Who I was meant to be)
Julie (Harmony): And if you give a damn (and if you give a damn then)
Harmony (Julie): Take me baby, or leave me (Take me baby, take me or la-la-la-la-la-leave me)

Will was impressed, but also feeling pretty nostalgic, remembering a time when Rachel and Mercedes sang that very song with each other.

Both: Take me baby... or leave me!

"Guess I'm leaving," the girls said, trying not to smile. "I'm gone!"

The two looked at each other and laughed as everyone clapped for them. "Awesome," Marley said, giving them a thumbs up. "We'll go over notes later but overall, just great."

***

"I'm so excited for Friday!" exclaimed Amity. "The musical is going to be awesome."

"I'm just excited for the weekend because of Spring Break!" Alex responded. "Also, it's pi day on Saturday, which means that I'll be hearing back from MIT the day before. I really, really want to go to their summer program."

"Building a bunch of robots with nerds just like you," Amity smiled. "It sounds like the perfect way to spend your summer."

"Well, just the first two weeks," he said, putting an arm around her. "And then the rest of the summer I can just hang around with my beautiful girlfriend."

She blushed but reminded him that, "I have work most of the summer. College is right around the corner for us and I'm going to have a busy enough senior year trying to save up. Summer income is necessary."

"I'm sure you'll get help from whatever college you go to," he said. "Amity, you're, like, the top of our class and you're in glee club and the christian club and you also have the animal shelter. Colleges are going to shower you with cash just to get you to go with them. And I could always help you out."

"No," she pouted. "I've got to do this on my own. Now come on, we should get to class."

"I hate History," he complained as she dragged him along the hall.

***

"Stefan," Will said during rehearsals. "How are you on those Roger numbers?"

"Pretty ok," Stefan responded with a nod. "I just don't think that Alex is going to miss. I mean, the show is this week so—"

"Alex has detention," Will told him. Amity rolled her eyes when she heard this, turning back to Kitty's laptop, which she was using to edit the programs she was making for the show. "We need to rehearse 'Light My Candle.'"

"Oh, I don't know that one," Stefan said apologetically. "Not all the blocking, at least."

"That's ok," Emma told him. "Bree isn't even here yet. We just need someone up there to see if the lighting issues we were having last week were fixed."

"Umm," Stefan said dubiously. "Ok, sure..." He had volunteered as an understudy for Alex, just like Shana for Bree, Amity for Harmony, and Rory for Dan. But the only one who was actually expected to have to take over was Shana. Everyone else was taking it easy.

Stefan made his way up to the set as Marley called out, "Can we get someone to stand in for Bree? Where's Shana?"

"She had to talk to her teacher for a bit," Unique said. "She'll be here in like ten minutes, though."

"I'll do it," said Carrie from the doorway. She was walking in with Ryder, who was just as confused as everyone else.

"You know the number?" Harmony asked her suspiciously.

"Don't look so surprised," Carrie responded, hurrying up to the stage. The adults in the room looked unsure so she added, "I'm a performer. And it's just to test the lighting, right? Hit it!"

["Light My Candle" from Rent.]

Kitty raised her brow and looked over at Julie, who just shook her head and went back to reading her script, refreshing on a few lines. Everyone went back to what they had been previously working on, but they were all curious enough to look up as soon as the the two began.

Stefan: What'd you forget?
Carrie: Got a light?
Stefan: I know you. You're—You're shivering...

The lighting on the stage changed drastically, going for super dark to super bright. Carrie rolled her eyes, since that was far from what they needed. However, she turned back to Stefan and continued, smiling at him and running her hand over his back as she walked behind him.

Carrie: It's nothing. They turned off my heat. And I'm just a little... Weak on my feet. Would you light my candle..? What are you staring at?
Stefan: Nothing, your hair in the moonlight. You look familiar. Can you make it?

"Is it just me or does Stefan actually look flustered for once?" Unique asked the other glee club members watching.

Harmony looked at her and then back up at the performance. "Yeah..." she mumbled. "He does..."

Carrie: Just haven't eaten much today. At least the room stopped spinning... Anyway. What?
Stefan: Nothing. Your smile reminded me of—
Carrie: I always remind people of—Who is she?
Stefan: She died. Her name was April.

"Maybe he's a good actor?" Amity murmured. Unique and Harmony turned and gave her the same 'are you kidding' look.

Carrie: It's out again. Sorry about your friend. Would you light my candle..?
Stefan: Well
Carrie: Yeah. Ow!
Stefan: Oh, the wax it's...
Carrie: Dripping! I like it between my—
Stefan: Fingers! I figured... Oh, well. Goodnight.

Stefan walked away, looking like he was ready to run away. Carrie followed him and he turned around, knowing he'd draw more suspicion if he didn't do the number. The lighting was switching from completely dark to totally bright, making Stefan even more nervous.

Stefan: It blew out again?
Carrie: No I think that I dropped my stash.

Carrie realized she had to start looking around, but she had ways of making even that about seducing Stefan. After all, she'd done it once. She could keep doing it.

Stefan: I know I've seen you out and about. When I used to go out. Your candle's out...
Carrie: I'm illin'. I had it when I walked in the door. It was pure. Is it on the floor?

Carrie bent down to the ground and, on all fours, looked up at him and smiled.

Stefan: The floor?
Carrie: They say I have the best ass below 14th street. Is it true?
Stefan: What?
Carrie: You're staring again.
Stefan: Oh no. I mean you do have a nice. I mean, you look familiar—

To Carrie's dismay, the lights settled on a nice, dim level. Stefan sighed with relief as the music was cut off. "Thanks, that's enough," Emma said, turning to Will. "That lighting is perfect, Will. I mean, you can see their faces just fine but it's still a romantic dim..." They continued their conversation about technical things as Stefan walked backstage.

Carrie followed behind him and whispered, "That was fun! Maybe I should join glee club."

"Are you insane?" he asked her, brushing his hair away from his flustered face. "Carrie, we can't do this, especially not in front of all of them—In front of Ryder! What if he figured it out?"

"Because of a song?" she asked. "Please! I've seen him do worse with the glee skanks. No one will know... Trust me..." 

How can I trust you? Stefan wanted to ask, but couldn't because Carrie put her arms around his neck and kissed him. From the other side of the backstage area, Harmony did her best not to make any noise, clasping her hands over her mouth with her eyes wide. She had every sense to go run straight to Ryder and tell him, but the last thing she wanted was to break up the New Directions. What if Ryder was genuinely hurt by this? No one wanted to be cheated on but... No, she had to make sure he found out, but on his own. How would she manage that?

***

"Why is it so hard to write a song?" Sam asked, pacing John's garage as the latter sat back in a yard chair and strummed carelessly.

"A song is easy," John pointed out. "A good one is hard. And a masterpiece well... We can't expect to ever write one of those."

Sam sighed, knowing his pal was right. He continued to pace the floor and John continued to strum, trying to figure out the tune, at the least, to the last song they needed to begin work on their album.

["One Song Glory" from Rent. Begin the songwriting montage.]

John: One song glory, one song before I go. Glory, one song to leave behind...
Sam: Find one song, one last refrain. Glory, from the pretty boy front man... Who wasted opportunity. 

Sam looked over at John, whose tired eyes were on his guitar. 

John: One song, he had the world at his feet.
Sam: Glory, in the eyes of a young girl. A young girl...

John stood up and began to strum as he paced, too. For Julie, a single three-word conversation led to an amazing four-minute song.

John: Find glory. Beyond the cheap colored lights. One song, before the sun sets. Glory... on another empty life!

They had spent months trying to find inspiration but had only written decent works so far. They needed the one that would be their hit. The one that would get them up in the big leagues and make it all worth it. But their time was running out.

Sam: Time flies, time dies. Glory, one blaze of glory. One blaze of glory, glory.

They went their separate ways and decided to give it a shot on their own. But all they were doing now was pacing in different locations.

John: Find glory in a song that rings truth. Truth like a blazing fire, an eternal flame...
Sam: Find, one song, a song about love. Glory, from the soul of a young man. A young man...

In Sam's apartment, all he did was look around at what the place had transformed into over the last months he'd been living there with Mandy. In John's room, all he did was wonder how the hell he'd finally get out of his parents' home without the band being successful. This band was more than a hobby now—it was their escape, their independence. Not from Lima, which they didn't necessarily hate, but from the people they relied on to get by. 

John: Find the one song. Before the virus takes hold. Glory, like a sunset. One song to redeem this empty life!
Sam: Time flies and then no need to endure anymore
John: Time dies...

Sam didn't last at his place very long. He knew what he had to do and he had been fighting himself not to but it was about time he gave in. Knocking quickly on the wooden door, he took a deep breath when it opened and Julie greeted him softly.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. 

He looked around and finally said, "I need to write a song. Just one more and the album is complete but... The hard truth is that I can't do it without you."

Julie stared at him for a second. She didn't have time for this. Sam had made it very clear that he was ready to put the past behind and move on with his life, which wouldn't happen if she let him keep coming back any time he needed help.

***

"So what did you say?" John asked as he talked on the phone with Julie. "You said 'no', right?"

"Right," Julie nodded, even though she knew he couldn't see. "But maybe I shouldn't have, John... I mean, this is your futures on the line and—"

"And he needs to figure things out for himself," John responded. "Julie, I love you and Sam's great but the two of you... I spend more time with him than any of us at this point and, honestly, all you're doing is holding each other back. Maybe it's time you just cut the chord and—"

"You think I should just stop talking to him completely?" she asked.

John sighed and said, "Look, I'm no one to tell you who you should and shouldn't be friends with but... As someone who cares about you, I just don't think your relationship with Sam is doing you any favors. You just get mad or sad or somewhere in between and he gets a song but at what cost? We won't have you as a ghost writer forever and he really needs to detach himself from you if he wants to be able to write his own songs."

Taking a moment of silence to think about it Julie said, "No, you're right... I made the right choice. Sorry to the band, but I'm not Sam's secret toolbox that he can just use when his out of juice. You're right. I'm done being his go-to and I'm done letting him distract me."

"Good," John responded firmly. "For the record though, Jules, I don't think this is the best choice. I just think it's the better alternative. If he's moving forward and you're choosing Jake, then it's best to just stop talking to each other. Unless, of course, you think maybe the two of you—" 

"No," Julie said immediately. "Sam and I are done in that way. For good. I just wish we could be friends but..."

"You know what to do then," John said. He hung up and turned around. Marley was sitting right across from him.

"You really think that was the right choice?" she asked, her face serious.

John shook his head. "No," he said. "And neither is this idea he has about proposing to Mandy but... There just has to be a way to help Sam see things on his own, without dragging Julie down with him if he can't. And for now... I think I'll just have a nice little chat with Mandy."

***

"You're doing a much better job," Harmony said from the choir room doorway. Ryder was the only one inside and had just been practicing a few tango dance steps, as everyone was a backup dancer during her tango with Dan.

"It's so much easier with a partner," he pointed out. "I'm just really worried because it's almost opening night but I don't think I've gotten any better and... I really don't want to screw this up." Harmony took a deep breath and walked inside, resetting the song from the beginning.

["Tango Maureen" from Rent.]

"Here, let me help," she said, putting her things down and grabbing his hands. As they began to dance, he was focused on what his feet were doing. She, however, wanted to talk about other things. "So, uh, Carrie..." she began.

"What about her?" Ryder asked. Harmony looked away, all week, she'd been trying to find the right way to let him know that his girlfriend was sneaking around with one of his sort-of friends but she didn't know how. Still, just seeing them together in the halls made her sick, so she figured it might be time to just let it out.

"Well, she just..." Harmony began, not sure what to say. "You two seem a bit off lately..."

"We're fine," he responded defensively. "We're just both kind of busy but we're perfectly fine."

"Really?" Harmony asked as Ryder spun her in place. "Ryder, I really don't want to overstep my boundaries but... I don't think you can trust her. There, I said it."

"Where is this coming from?" he asked, letting go of her.

Harmony sighed and exclaimed, "Ryder, you aren't a stupid guy so stop acting like it! She's Carrie! She's always been vicious and shady. I'm sure you want to believe that she's different with you but she's not. She's the same evil girl she's always been. You know it, don't you? That's why you're so upset that I'm pointing it out."

"Know what?" Ryder exclaimed. She didn't answer, not having the guts to come out and say it. Ryder shook his head at her and began to walk away. Harmony panicked, knowing she had to do something now or she wouldn't get another chance. If she could only get him to admit it to himself then maybe...

Harmony: Feel like going insane? Got a fire in your brain? And you're thinking of drinking gasoline?

Ryder turned around just as he was going to walk out of the room. Harmony began to walk towards him.

Ryder: As a matter of fact.
Harmony: Honey, I know this act. It's called the 'Tango Carrie.' The 'Tango Carrie' It's a dark, dizzy merry-go-round. As she keeps you dangling. You're wrong, your heart she is mangling.

Ryder, afraid that some random kid would overhear and tell everyone, walked back inside and closed the door, turning to Harmony with a serious look on his face.

Ryder: It's different with me.
Harmony: And you toss and you turn. 'Cause her cold eyes can burn. Yet you yearn and you churn and rebound.

Ryder thought about it for a second. Harmony was a girl and she knew how other girls thought. Besides, she was spot on about everything so far and he had been suspicious over the last week and a half...

Ryder: I think I know what you mean...
Both: The 'Tango Maureen'
Harmony: Has she ever pouted her lips and called you 'Pookie'?
Ryder: Never.
Harmony: Have you ever doubted a kiss or two?
Ryder: This is spooky.

Ryder turned around once again but Harmony stepped in front of him and continued.

Harmony: Did you swoon when she walked through the door?
Ryder: Every time.
Harmony: So be cautious. Did she moon over other boys?
Ryder: More than moon—I'm getting nauseous.

The two began to dance once again, performing part of the tango routine from the show as Ryder contemplated the facts. He had no idea who Carrie could've cheated with but the more he thought about it, the more he was sure she'd done it.

Ryder: She cheated.
Harmony: She cheated.
Ryder: Carrie cheated.
Harmony: Fuckin' cheated
Ryder: I'm defeated, I should give up right now

Ryder gave Harmony a spun and watched her as she spun her way back to him. Standing only about an inch apart, Harmony shrugged.

Harmony: Gotta look on the bright side with all of your might—
Ryder: I'd fall for her still anyhow!
Both: When you're dancing her dance. You don't stand a chance. Her grip of romance makes you fall.
Ryder: So you think, might as well
Harmony: Dance a tango to hell
Ryder: At least I'll have tangoed at all...

Harmony let go, frustrated that despite knowing what she'd done he didn't seem to want to end things. Ryder, however, pulled her back and continued their tango.

Both: The 'Tango Carrie'. Gotta dance 'til your diva is through. You pretend to believe her 'cause in the end you can't leave her. But the end it will come. Still you have to play dumb. 'Til you're glum and you bum. And turn blue.

Ryder let go this time, taking a few steps away and looking at the ground despondently.

Ryder: Why do we love when she's mean?
Harmony: And she can be so obscene.
Ryder: My Carrie...
Both: The 'Tango Carrie'

The music ended, so Ryder headed for the door once again. "Where are you going?" Harmony asked him.

"To do what I should've done long ago," he responded. Harmony followed him out the door and struggled to keep up in her heels as he rushed down the halls. Finally, he spotted Carrie, who was talking to a Peyton, Stefan and a few other popular kids.

Harmony expected a big fight, but all Ryder did was march up to Carrie and kiss her. "What..." Harmony murmured from several feet away. Carrie smiled at Ryder and said something she couldn't hear. She didn't want to hear. Trying to fight the sting in her eyes, she ran off and left them together, knowing if Ryder was too dumb to pull away from her, he probably deserved her.

***

"I'm so sick of Rent," Bree complained as she walked into rehearsals. "Honestly, I just want it to be over."

"You're doing an awesome job, Bree," Kitty told her. 

"Yeah," Julie agreed. "So far, you're pretty much the heart and soul of the show. Not to mention seeing Joe come in every day and drop off lunch on our breaks has been super sweet. You guys make the rest of us believe in true love. Isn't it weird that the time has finally come for all three of us to be in happy relationships?"

Kitty raised a brow. "You're telling me that your relationship is completely perfect right now?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Jules," Kitty sighed. "We've all seen that you have been distant lately... What's going on? It's not because of the whole almost did it but didn't thing, is it?"

Julie shook her head. "No," she answered. "It's not Jake. It's John... He asked me to stop talking to Sam while they were figuring out this whole band situation and I agreed."

Kitty gasped. "I can't believe he'd do that!" she exclaimed, kind of angry at John.

"I can't believe the show's tomorrow," Bree shook her head. "Then it's back to show choir competitions and cheerleading and finally we graduate."

Before either of the other girls could respond, Marley called out, "Bree, it's time for your number!" Bree rolled her eyes, frustrated that she had to go do an exotic dance now for the thousandth time. At least it wasn't as difficult as the drug scenes. She shook off whatever nerves she had and ran up to the stage as the music began.

["Out Tonight" from Rent.]

Bree: What's the time? Well it's gotta be close to midnight. My body's talking to me. It says, "Time for danger." It says, "I wanna commit a crime. Wanna be the cause of a fight. I wanna put on a tight skirt. And flirt with a stranger."

As Bree danced around the stage, Carrie and Ryder walked in. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and sent him off to join the rest of the New Directions. Well, not everyone. As soon as she was back out in the hallway, she was met by Stefan. Though he shook his head at her with disapproval, he did not resist as she kissed him.

Bree: I've had a knack from way back. At breaking the rules once I learn the games. Get up! Life's too quick, I know someplace sick. Where this chick'll dance in the flames. We don't need any money. I always get in for free. You can get in too. If you get in with me.

Kitty and Julie sat on the floor just below the stage, cheering on Bree and offering her dollar bills playfully. Bree knew she could get busted by the directors, but she was tired of practicing the same thing over and over again, so she got on her knees at the edge of the stage and took the girls' money, making all of their friends laugh.

Bree: Let's go out tonight. I have to go out tonight. You wanna play? Let's run away. We won't be back before it's New Year's Day. Take me out tonight!
Kitty: Meow!

Carrie pulled back from Stefan, giggling as she rushed back into the auditorium and waved at Ryder. She stood by the entrance, unseen by anyone else, and tried not to grin too much as Stefan walked in and made his way past her to the bottom with the Rent cast.

Carrie: Let's go out tonight. I have to go out tonight. You're sweet, wanna hit the street? Wanna wail at the moon like a cat in heat? Just take me out tonight!

When Harmony spotted Carrie by the door, she fought every fiber in her being telling her to go and slap her. Instead, she turned back to Bree and tried to contain her anger.

Carrie: Please take me out tonight.
Bree: Don't forsake me.
Carrie: Out tonight!
Bree: I'll let you make me out tonight
Both: Tonight, tonight, tonight

Carrie, a mischievous look on her face, sighed and walked out, pleased that she had both Stefan and Ryder right where she wanted.

***

"Ok," Marley let out a deep breath. "The show starts in exactly three hours. Should I start freaking out now or wait a few minutes?"

John smiled and placed his hands on her shoulders. They were standing on the stage while Joe and a few of the cast members—Julie, Bree, and Kitty—helped set up for the opening scene. "I'm sure it'll be fine," he told her. "I've heard you're great at leading and everyone respects you. Probably because you're bossy." She smiled, shaking her head as they continued setting up. Behind her, Bree carried her box of fake drugs across the stage to leave in their place when she suddenly froze.

"Are you ok?" Joe asked Bree when he saw her suddenly stop in the middle of walking. The other two girls turned.

"Yeah," Bree nodded slowly. "I just... I don't feel so well."

Kitty walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Bree," she said worriedly, "you're shivering and sweating. What's going on?"

"I think I'm going through a withdrawal," Bree said, beginning to hyperventilate. "All this drug talk and just the prop drugs, they..."

"But it's been months since your last one," Kitty said.

Julie grabbed her hand and said, "Here, have a seat. Maybe you just need some rest."

"Yeah," Joe agreed, helping her sit on a prop chair. "It's probably the nerves." Bree nodded and took a seat just as the front doors slammed open.

"What's wrong with you?" Sam exclaimed as he stormed through the auditorium and stopped at the bottom of the seating floor, just before the stage staircase. He was looking at John, who didn't seem shocked at all. The others looked up, though their attention was half-split between Sam's outburst and Bree's panic attack.

"Sam, just—" John began, his voice as calm as ever.

"Don't!" Sam shouted angrily. "She left because of you. Mandy. She took off. Said she couldn't do it anymore after you went to see her behind my back and said that I—" He stopped himself, glancing at Julie briefly. When he realized she was there, he didn't continue.

"That you were what?" John tested her. "Still in love with Julie?"

"What?" Julie exclaimed, surprised. She stood up, though she didn't walk at all, not wanting to leave Bree's side. Turning to John she asked, "Is that true? After you practically begged me not to talk to him at all anymore?"

"You did what?" Sam asked him, even angrier than he was before now.

Kitty stood up, too, walking downstage and shaking her head at John. "You had no right to do that," she exclaimed. "It was none of your business, John."

"You don't know what you're talking about," John shook his head at her. "Just stay out of this Kitty."

"You know, this is exactly why we didn't work out!" Kitty hissed at him. "Watch out for this one, Marley. He never admits when he's wrong and he seems to think he's better than everyone else."

"Please!" John cried. "That was you!" He turned to Sam and said, "I'm sorry about Mandy but I couldn't let you throw away what you love. Not just Julie, but music, too, Sam. She told me you sold your guitar to get you two a better car and the Sam I know wouldn't have made that trade off."

"So that's how you afforded such a nice ring," Julie murmured. Maybe he really did love Mandy.

Sam kept his eyes on John and said, "You don't know me then because that's exactly something I would do. I've done it before and I'd do it all over again."

"Guys," Joe called out when Bree started shaking even more.

"You had no right to go talk to Mandy," Sam continued. "Thanks to you, she left."

"Good," Julie told him angrily. "Maybe now you'll realize you were making a mistake marrying her."

"Wait, what?" Kitty exclaimed, turning to Sam now. This was news to her.

Sam shook his head and kept his eyes on Julie as he said, "As opposed to what? You? Don't act like you care about me all of a sudden."

"Guys..." Joe repeated with concern as Bree tried to get up. Meanwhile, Marley turned away from all of them, hiding her face in her hands with frustration.

"I do care!" Julie exclaimed. "I've always cared, Sam. Maybe if you hadn't been so eager to get out of Lima when we were together, we—"

"Oh, so now it's my fault?" Sam shouted.

"I can't do this," Bree muttered, running backstage. Joe ran after her, upset that none of them were paying attention or helping.

"No, it's his fault," Kitty claimed, pointing at John. "Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong."

"That I agree with," Sam said. 

Julie took a couple of steps towards him, repulsed, and shouted, "You're so full of it, Sam! You can't blame John for trying to make you just grow up and take responsibility already." She turned away; never had she been so angry at anyone before, let alone at Sam.

"Wait," Kitty said, looking around. "Where did Bree go? Bree!"

"She's gone," Joe panted from the exit. "I tried following her but she got into her car and drove off. I think she was looking for drugs and I... I don't know what to do."

Everyone exchanged looks and began to leave. "I can't go," Marley said.

"Stay," John nodded. "I'll find her. You do what you need to do." Marley watched as the group, who could barely keep it together, rushed out. With less than three hours before the show, she worried about them finding her on time. And if Bree really was about to relapse, she was even more worried about her friend's life.

***

"These are awesome!" Shana exclaimed in the choir room as Amity showed everyone the printed programs she made. The main eight were on the cover, their arms outstretched as they sang. 

"Thank you," Amity chimed proudly. "You know, photography is really fun! I'll have to make sure whatever college I choose next year will allow me to explore it more."

"Speaking of college," Alex said from the doorway, just arriving back on campus. "I went home to check my mail and got my letter back from MIT."

"Awesome!" Amity exclaimed, running up to him. "What does it say?"

"It says that I've been accepted to their exclusive summer program," he chuckled as she began to jump up and down. "I'm going to MIT when school ends!"

"Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed, giving him a hug as the rest of the New Directions congratulated him. "Alex, this is great! If you can get into this program, I'm sure getting into the school won't be a problem!"

"That's the hope," Alex said, trying to contain his excitement as he put an arm around her and walked further into the room. "Aren't we missing a few people?" he asked, looking around. "Satan's spawn and her minions aren't here."

"Probably out tossing their pompoms in the gym," Unique joked. "Or gathering with their cult to perform freaky demon rituals."

Marley walked into the room as they laughed and said, "Everyone listen up." She was surprised at how easily she had gained their attention. Maybe they really did respect her since she'd become the musical director. She cleared her throat, her hands shaking and said, "The girls are gone..."

"Wait, what do you mean 'gone'?" Rory asked, looking at the other faces and wondering if they had as bad a feeling as he did already.

Marley took a deep breath and said, "Bree, she... She wasn't feeling well. She was having some sort of relapse and she took off. Kitty and Julie went to look for her."

"Alone?" Jake asked, worried for the other girls' safety as well. Who knows where following Bree in this state would lead them to?

Marley shook her head. "John, Joe and Sam went with them," she informed them. "And the rest of us need to stay put. We have to try to make things work but in the meantime just... Have your cell phones on you and be on your toes. Maybe she'll reach out to one of us."

Everyone nodded, understanding exactly how serious the situation was. 

"Shana, Amity..." Marley sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose as she tried to focus. "You two will go on for Bree and Julie if they don't come back in time. The rest of you, just... Come help me finish setting up and then the best we can do is just get ready and wait."

"Should we tell Mr. Schue?" Amity asked.

Marley didn't seem sure. "Let's just give them a chance to handle this first," Marley said, fearing what would happen otherwise. She led them all back to the auditorium and noticed the complete shift in mood. Without Bree, the show would not go on.

***

"She's not here," Sam sighed, kicking the dirt. They'd gone to Kitty's apartment, to the park, and now they were at Bree's house, which was empty from the looks of it.

"This was my last idea," Kitty told him as they stood out in the front lawn. "I don't know where else she could've gone."

"I guess we should go back to school and—" Julie began.

Joe stopped her. "No!" he exclaimed, blocking her way. "I can't give up yet. None of us can. She's probably inside or something. I know she sneaks in and out from her room in the back so if we could just stop arguing and work together, maybe..." 

He didn't finish. Instead, he rushed to the backyard and the other four had no choice but to follow, not wanting to leave him alone to what was probably trouble. A few minutes later, they were inside of Bree's room, but there was no sign of her having stopped by. 

"I should've known," Joe said, sinking down onto her bed. "Her car wasn't even here; it was just stupid hopefulness... Where could she have gone?"

["Goodbye Love" from Rent. Prepare yourselves for, like, the longest thing ever. It just fit so well—I HAD to do as much of it as possible. I did change a few of the names/words though.]

They began to leave her place through the window once again and as they walked back to the front yard, Julie walked behind Sam and tried to talk to him again.

Julie: It's true you sold your guitar and bought a car?
Sam: It's true—I'm leaving now for Santa Fe. It's true you're with this yuppie scum?

He nodded back at John, who rolled his eyes and tried to pull Julie away from him.

John: You said you'd never speak to him again.
Julie: Not now...

Kitty raced her way to the front and stepped in John's way.

Kitty: Who said that you have any say in who she says things to at all?
Sam: Yeah!
Julie (to Kitty): Who said that you should stick your nose in other people's—
Kitty (to Julie): Who said I was talking to you? 

Joe shook his head and tried to make them all stop, but they were ignoring him once again.

John (to Julie): We used to have this fight each night.
Joe: Calm down!
John: She'd never admit I existed.
Joe: Everyone please! 

Julie nodded at John, nodding over at Sam angrily, everything she'd always felt about his departure to New York building up. 

Julie: He was the same way—he was always "Run away", hit the road, don't commit" 

She turned to Sam and exclaimed, "You're full of shit!"

"Julie..." Joe muttered, knowing that the fight was once again escalating.

Kitty: She's in denial
John: He's in denial 

Kitty turned to John and shook her head at him. Who was he to give romantic advice when his apathy and lack of drive was what had made them fall apart?

Kitty (to John): Didn't give an inch, when I gave a mile.
Joe: Come on...
Julie (to Sam): I gave a mile
Sam (to Julie): Gave a mile to who? 
Joe: Come on guys chill!
Julie and Kitty: I'd be happy to die for a taste of what Bree had! Someone to live for—unafraid to say I love you!

Sam rolled his eyes and walked up to Julie, practically screaming in her face. It was she, after all, who broke them up because she couldn't keep herself away from Ryder. And now Jake.

Sam: All your words are nice, Julie, but love's not a three way street! You'll never share real love until you love yourself—I should know!

Joe pulled him away from her and stood in the middle of all of them angrily.

Joe: You all said you'd be cool today. So please—for my sake... I can't believe she's gone.

He turned to Sam and shook his head.

Joe: I can't believe you're going... I can't believe this family must die. Bree helped us believe in love; I can't believe you disagree.
All: I can't believe this is goodbye.

"We should go," Joe sighed. "She's got to be out there somewhere so let's go find her."

"Not me," Sam shook his head. "Sorry Joe, but I have to go chase my girlfriend down in another state now."

***

When John walked into Sam's apartment, he found him packing a suitcase. He sighed and walked up to him, wondering what he could do to make him see he was fighting for the wrong girl.

John: I hear there are great restaurants out west...
Sam: Some of the best. How could she? 

He continued to pack but John put a hand on his arm to stop him.

John: How could you let her go? 
Sam: You just don't know... How could we lose Bree?
John: Maybe you'll see why when you stop escaping your pain. At least now if you try—Mandy leaving won't be in vain.
Sam: It's already in vain.

"There's nothing left for me here," Sam said, closing his suitcase.

John: Are you insane? There's so much to care about. There's me—there's Julie.
Sam: Julie's got her baggage, too.
John: So do you
Sam: Who are you to tell me what I know, what to do?
John: A friend 

Sam snapped, turning to him and shaking his head.

Sam: But who, John, are you? "John has got his work," they say, "John lives for his work." And "John's in love with his work." John hides in his work!
John: But from what?
Sam: From facing your failure, facing your loneliness. Facing the fact you live a lie. Yes, you live a lie—tell you why: You're always preaching not to be numb when that's how you thrive! You pretend to create and observe when you really detach from feeling alive.

John crossed his arms and looked up from the ground to Sam.

John: Perhaps it's because I'm the one of us to survive!

"Poor baby," Sam mocked as he grabbed the suitcase and headed out of the bedroom. John followed him to the living room, not giving up.

John: Julie still loves you... Are you really jealous? Julie's running out of time and you're running out the door.
Sam: No more! I've gotta go...

"Hey!" John exclaimed as Sam reached for the door. "For someone who's always been let down... Who's heading out of town?"

"I have to go find her," Sam said. "Mandy, she... I love her. She's the one. You're wrong about Julie and you're wrong about everything else. I can't—" When he opened the door, he froze in place. Mandy was standing there, her lips pressed together.

"Hi," she said apologetically.

"You heard..." he sighed. She nodded.

"I'll just leave you two alone," John said walking past them out the door. Before disappearing, he turned back to them and said, "I'm sorry for getting involved. I guess I was wrong after all." He turned again and left, defeated.

***

"We have fifteen minutes until showtime," Julie mumbled, pacing the choir room. She was in her costume, but just like everyone else, she had no intention of going on.

"This is insane," Shana shook her head. "We have to cancel the show." She felt completely wrong for being in Bree's costume.

"No, we don't," Bree sighed, appearing at the door. 

Kitty and Julie rushed to her while everyone else sighed with relief that she was safe. "I found her parked a few blocks from here," Joe said as he walked in behind her.

"I'm sorry for freaking everyone out," Bree murmured. "I just... I freaked out but it didn't matter. Once I got out of here I realized it was just a panic attack, not a relapse, and... I'm ok now. I can go on."

"Are you sure?" Kitty asked her. "We can stop it or Shana can take your place if you don't—"

"No," Bree shook her head. "I kept thinking I was going to screw this up again and if I don't go on now, I'll never have another chance at getting over my demons. I risked the show last fall and I'm not going to do it again. I have to do this."

Marley smiled and said, "I knew you could. Ok, people, let's be ready to go in the next five minutes. The show will go on!"

***

John made it to the auditorium just in time for the show to start. When the curtains opened, he was anxious about what he'd be seeing. He'd tried texting and calling everyone to find out what had happened to Bree, but nobody answered. Even Joe was nowhere to be found. Now he just had to sit and wait.

Dan walked to the front of the stage and said, "December 24th, 1989, 9 pm, Eastern Standard Time. From here on in, I shoot without a script. See if anything comes of it... Instead of my old shit."

He held up a camera as multiple extras began running out and getting in his way. John looked around for a sign of Bree, but she wasn't there.

["Rent" from Rent.] 

Dan: How do you document real life when real life's getting more like fiction each day? Headlines, bread-lines blow my mind. And now this deadline, eviction or pay... Rent!

He moved out of the way as the extras moved around the set to reveal a loft-like room on one side of the stage. There was Alex, sitting on a couch with his guitar.

Alex: How do you write a song when the chords sound wrong though they once sounded right and rare? When the notes are sour where is the power you once had to ignite the air?

As Alex got up and moved around the 'room,' Dan made his way to him from the other end of the stage, his way blocked by the dozens of extras.

Dan: We're hungry and frozen.
Alex: Some life that we've chosen!
Both: How we gonna pay? How we gonna pay? How we gonna pay? Last year's rent!

Dan reached Alex, handing him a piece of paper, and then the music deemed. A voice, which John immediately recognized as Jake's, sounded from somewhere backstage. "Hey, guess who's back in town?" it said. "It's Collins, let me in!"

"Hey!" Dan shouted throwing a set of keys off the stage. He turned back to Alex as the extras shifted the entire set into a bedroom. The two began lighting candles (fake prop light bulb candles) everywhere as the extras pushed the spinning set further.

Alex: How do you start a fire when there's nothing to burn and it feels like something's stuck in your flue?
Dan: How can you generate heat when you can't feel your feet?
Both: And they're turning blue!
Dan: You light up a mean blaze 
Alex: With posters!
Dan: And screenplays!
Both: How we gonna pay? How we gonna pay? How we gonna pay? Last year's rent?

Their set now completely gone, a new set was revealed. It was supposed to be an alley, John realized as he wondered whether he'd catch any glimpse of Bree, or at least Shana, any time soon. When a figure finally appeared, it was Jake, being kicked down by Stefan, Rory and a few extras, who left as quickly as they'd come in, helping the other extras move the set.

Jake: How do you stay on your feet when on every street? It's trick or treat and tonight it's trick. Welcome back to town! I should lie down... Everything's brown and uh-oh, I feel sick!

With the set now split between the streets and the room, John's anxiety about Bree was growing. He shouldn't have gone after Sam; he should've gone with Joe to look for her.

Dan: Where is he?
Jake: Getting dizzy...
Dan and Alex: How we gonna pay?
Dan, Alex, and Bree: How we gonna pay?

John smiled with a sigh of relief as Bree appeared in the street set, poking her head out of a window in the built-in wall. 

All: How we gonna pay? Last year's rent!
Dan: The music ignites the night with passionate fire
Alex: The narration crackles and pops with incendiary wit
Dan: Zoom in as they burn the past to the ground
Both: And feel the heat of the future's glow! How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart? It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out. 'Til you're torn apart. Rent! How can you connect in an age where strangers, landlords, lovers, your own blood cells betray?

The two joined everyone else, breaking into a choreography as Ryder appeared in the back.

Tenants: What binds the fabric together when the raging, shifting winds of change keep ripping away!

Ryder, in a suit, stood in the middle of the commotion while everyone else who was on stage danced around him.

Ryder: Draw a line in the sand and then make a stand.
Alex: Use your camera to spar!
Dan: Use your guitar!
Tenants: When they act tough, you call their bluff! We're not gonna pay, we're not gonna pay! We're not gonna pay, last year's rent! This year's rent, next year's rent! Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent! We're not gonna pay rent! 'Cause everything... is rent!

The song came to an end and the audience broke into an applause. John cheered loudly from the back. So what if Sam had chosen Mandy over all of them? He didn't care. He wasn't going to let that affect his own ability to be there in support of his friends for what was sure to be a good show.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

504 36 5
"๐’€๐’๐’– ๐’๐’๐’—๐’† ๐’‰๐’Š๐’Ž." "๐‘ฏ๐’† ๐’…๐’๐’†๐’”๐’'๐’• ๐’†๐’—๐’†๐’ ๐’†๐’™๐’Š๐’”๐’• ๐’•๐’ ๐’Ž๐’†." OR ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ“ฃMadeline has gone through some ups and downs, but...
55.6K 931 52
Sebastian Smythe was now apart of the New Directions along with Hunter, Nick, Jeff, and Thad. He apologized and did an embarrassing thing to get the...
2.2K 60 45
Based on Season 3 of Glee... The glee kids are down in the dumps following their disappointing showing at nationals, so Will assigns them a project t...
94.3K 2.6K 124
Going into high school seemed exciting at first, until it all came down to fitting in, where one Caroline Hudson thought if she joined cheerleading l...