"Songs of the Dark" Dark Crys...

De DCLGalloway

Welcome back to my Dark Crystal interactive fanfiction series! This adventure will be set in the caves of Gro... Mai multe

"Songs of the Dark"

277 6 1
De DCLGalloway

Deep in the caves of Grot, far from Domrak village, was a series of very dark caverns that lead into the mysterious mountain. Most would never venture this far, but on occasion a daring Grottan or two might be seen scaling the high walls, or scampering in the depths to find lost treasure. Amri however, was a frequent guest of this area.

Adorning his usual all-black attire, he was dressed head to toe in rich robes which were crafted specifically to camouflage him. As a shadow moving across the darkest plains of Thra, his figure strode through the void of openings and thin gorges. Always vigilant, his round wide eyes consumed the dense air around him, assisting his feet with each step, allowing him to know the ground as if it were in daylight. The dank smells of the musty moss stuck to the stone walls as strong as the bonds themselves. His nose still twitched as if it were the first time he had experienced the scent. Small trickles of water draining into the holes in the ground were the only sounds. Rare cave blooming flowers wreathed the pools of dark water, glistening with the faint glow of blue moss.

Amri knelt down to examine one of the neon patches of flora. His thin white fingers like tendrils, floating through the fibers and stems, sensing the presence of Thra herself. He finally removed his hood, placing it down gently on his shoulders as flowing white hair obstructed is face. When he lifted his hand to brush it back behind his ear, a few traces of the blue plant streaked across his cheek. With some of the resinous sap still dripping on one finger, he darted his tongue and licked it dry, causing his face to suddenly brighten with the same glow in the moss.

Just as he was about to relax and enjoy the wonderful environment, he heard a fluttering sound buzzing overhead. He looked up, then rose to his feet and searched through the black air for any trace of the source.

"Amri!" A sweet voice called through the air. Amri swung his head around, then followed the call back to a small ledge overlooking a wide underground river.

"Here!" He called back in an assertive tone.

The sounds of vibrating wings grew louder and louder, until finally the image of a wild Grottan girl appeared out of the dark space. She flew in front of him, hovered for a minute, then landed gracefully with a thump on a rock.

"There you are, Deet!" Amri remarked with a smile.

"Here i am! And there you are!" Her wings folded as she stepped down to the wet grass. 

"You found me."

"I always do. But i wish you wouldn't travel so far!" She scolded. 

"Why not? I'm an adventurer." He held out his hands, welcoming the isolated environment. 

"I know that," Deet huffed, "but remember i have to follow you."

"Well i'm a natural leader, so i suppose that makes sense too." He joked.

"Can't argue there! But let's just stick to collecting moss for today, please?" She handed him a dark gray fabric sack which was empty, ready to be filled with their special treat. 

"You got it, Captain." He grabbed the sack and slung it over one shoulder. 

"So, where is it?" Deet asked looking around his feet. 

"What?"

"The moss!"

"I've only just arrived, I haven't had a chance to collect any!" He protested. 

"Looks like your belly managed to collect some!" She poked his side as he backed away laughing.

"Am I still glowing?" He felt his face from top to bottom.

"Like a cave crystal!" She replied.

"Alright, let's get to work then. I really must be back soon anyway." He started to walk off into caves again. 

"Why, what's going on?" Deet inquired. 

"Not sure," he turned to face her, "urLii wanted to see me for some special task."

"Again? You're so lucky!"

"Not really," he placed his hands on his hips. "He mostly uses me to clean things and stack books. Then he dirties everything and rearranges the books again. I think he does it on purpose."

"Why would he?"

"My company, of course!" A slight jest filled his voice. 

"Oh, of course, our brave leader of the dark caves of Grot." Deet gave a small bow. "Nothing to fear, and nothing you 'aught!" Her voice sang the last few words.

Amri raised an eyebrow at her. "Don't sing at me."

"Be quiet, you love my songs, "she looked away and smiled into the darkness, "and everything they teach."

"Maybe these adventures will inspire you to write something new." He thought.

"Maybe," she turned back to him, "or maybe you can just take me to see urLii. I bet he knows an age worth of songs!" She beamed, full of joy.

Amri studied her face for a minute, but soon realized he would never win this battle. "Is there no way I can get to you to stop asking?"

"There is one way." She returned.

Some time later, after they had collected a few full bags of blue moss, Deet carried Amri back through the caves toward the lights of the main city. He hung from her arms like a limp animal, freshly captured and awaiting it's fate. He was always unhappy having to put up with the ridiculous biological notion of not having wings.

"Can we not see the nurlocs first?" He asked, tilting his head up.

"Of course we have to see them first!" She shouted into the wind. 

"They won't go hungry if we leave them for a minute."

"They're already hungry. Hush up and get the moss ready."

As they flew over a bustling herd of nurlocs, wriggling around one another in a huge heap of white, Amri reached into one of the overflowing bags. He removed a handful of glowing moss and readied it between his palms. The nurlocs immediately responded to the smell and arched their long necks to the sky. Their eye stalks waved with anticipation. Wide mouths draped open to catch the prize.

"Say hello, Amri!" Deet ushered, swooping closer to the arrangement of eager creatures.

Amri dropped a fistful of moss down into one of the open mouths. "Um...hello nurlocs." He said dryly. "Thank you for...your patience."

"Now really say hello." Deet corrected.

"What am I suppose to say?" He shrugged as best he could. "It's not like it can understand me."

"Hm, you're right." Deet thought for a brief moment, then suddenly released her grip on Amri's arms. He fell screaming into the squirming pit of massive worms.

"Now say hello!" Deet exclaimed. But she did not let Amri fall for long, quickly gliding next to him again and grabbing the back of his cloak before he slipped into oblivion.

"I told you never to do that again!" He yelped, fumbling for a better grip on her hand.

Deet let out a hardy laugh and flew into the center of the city.

Moments later, she landed on the outskirts, where only a few hunting shacks and decrepit old homes littered the borders of the cave entrances. They dropped their packs of blue moss and brushed off any final pieces of plant matter from their clothes. Deet combed through her unbridled hair until it was fairly presentable again, braids and locks falling into patterns over her shoulders.

"Why does he live all the way out here?" She asked.

Amri looked behind him. "He enjoys the solitude."

"It doesn't get more secretive than Grot."

"Oh yes it does," he reassured, "and that's the way he likes it. Come on."

Deet followed Amri back into another series of tunnels, mostly bare of plant life, water and crawlies. The sleek stone walls seemed to be carved and specifically designed to form natural halls and passageways. It felt ancient and meaningful. Like a place of great importance all had forgotten to time.

At the end of one of the passages was an old wooden door, covered with rock dust and splintered openings. It was the entrance to a dwelling which seemed to be built into the mountain itself. Almost as if the home had formed with the creation of the mountain. Amri stepped close to the door and reached for the handle.

"Someone lives here?"

"Indeed," he stopped for a moment, "at least I think he does."

"What does that mean?" Deet wondered.

"Sometimes he just...appears." Amri shot Deet a concerning look.

"Sounds fun." She gulped with a eek.

As the old door swung open, a breeze of old stale air with cobwebs blasted into their faces. They brushed the debris from their eyes and wandered into a worn room, filled to the ceiling with stacks of books. Around the walls were broken shelves and tables, with bizarre artifacts and ornamental devices strewn in piles. In the far corner, a single candle flickered against the dusty walls.

"What is all this?" Deet inquired, twisting her head in all directions. "How does he even know where to begin?"

"Well, as he often tells me: End. Begin. All the same." Amri riddled. 

"What does that even mean?"

"You know, I still have no idea," he admitted, "but one day I should find out."

"I'm sure." Deet's taunted.

As they entered the room in the far corner, where the light of the candle was shining, Deet finally had her first glimpse of urLii the Storyteller. Like all the Grottan, she had known of his existence, but little else. They all assumed he was simply an eccentric, ancient creature that kept records, diaries and artifacts. Almost as an unofficial town scribe and wise man. Except no one ever came to see him. Some were unsure of his motives, others were scared, or just did not care to educate themselves of his ways.

On this day, like most days, he was sitting quietly alone and writing. An ink pen made from bird bones and feathers was tightly held between his long, meaty fingers. No one, not even Amri, knew exactly what he was writing. Mostly ancient symbols and designs that must hold special meaning to Thra, or so Amri thought.

As the two Gelfling carefully approached from behind, Amri was about to say something when urLii let out a series of spastic, random coughs. His hacking brought a slight scream to both their lips, as they pinned themselves against the wall in surprise. When the dust cleared, urLii waved a hand in front of his face and peered through fog.

"...Gelfling?" He said quietly, releasing a few more hearty hacks.

"Just me, urLii!" Amri responded stepping forward.

"Not just you," urLii corrected. He leaned his head to the side and stared at Deet. "I see two!" He voice became cheerful.

"Oh, yes, this is my good friend, Deet." He urged her to step forward.

"Hi!" Deet chirped with a bright smile.

"Well hello!" urLii turned fully around on his crooked stool and faced them. "Always glad to meet new friends. Or, have we met already?"

"No, you don't know her." Amri said.

"Or do I?"

"Do you?" Deet asked with a curious expression.

"Or do you?" urLii questioned. Amri and Deet glanced uncomfortably at each other. "We can never be sure, can we? In this life, or the next."

Amri nodded, then dipped his chin into Deet's ear, whispering. "I should probably mention...I have no idea what he's saying either. Just go with it." Deet nodded solemnly.

"So," urLii continued, "you have come to help me sort more books, have you?" The old urRu lumbered to his feet and began to stagger around the haggard room.

"Books? What books now?" Amri questioned.

"These, here..." urLii pointed to a stack of thick tomes which Amri immediately recognized.

"But this is the stack I helped you sort last week!"

"Is it?" urLii's chin lifted in uncertainty.

"Of course it is! Look here," he lifted a few of the books and examined them. "See? Flora of the South Bend. And this one, artifacts of...wait. It's all out of order again!"

"Nothing in this room is out of order, my friend."

"Then why did you have me organize them? By date if I remember."

urLii paused and thought for a long moment. "...Did I?"

Amri dropped the books onto the table and huffed. "I don't ever want to read again."

"Now, now, young Gelfling, " urLii adjusted his small round glasses, "you must not become discouraged by such simple things. All is a lesson."

"I'm quickly learning." Amri smiled at Deet.

"Oh yes!" urLii suddenly motioned at them, extending a long finger. "I have remembered what I called you for."

"Thank Thra," Amri crossed his arms, "I thought we might never know."

"You will never know all." urLii remarked with a touch of wit. Then he began to disappear into the darkness as he shuffled to the far end of the dwelling. Amri motioned Deet to follow.

"...I like him." She said with a lively expression. Amri shook his head and wandered into the next room with a heavy sigh.

When the small group arrived at what appeared to be the last wall of the house, they found themselves in front of a pile of broken wood. It was as if some of the room's fixtures had been broken into pieces and scattered in the corner.

"What happened here?" Deet asked.

"Are you alright?" Amri added, concerned that something bad had taken place. "Who did this?"

"Oh, I did." urLii replied without any concern.

"You did this?" Amri examined the mess with surprise.

"It had to be done."

"I find that hard to believe. You would never make a mess of this..." He stopped himself and looked around the room. "Well, I guess I can believe it."

"But this looks like someone damaged everything!" Deet chimed in.

"Yes, indeed. Quite an interesting story actually." Deet and Amri stepped closer to hear every word. "I was searching though some ancient symbols and writings," urLii continued, "trying to find old alchemy spells I believe. Or was it the Arcane Epics? Oh, I can't remember. But I came across a symbol which I thought I could use to make my ta."

"You were trying to make ta with an ancient symbol?" Amri asked.

"Yes," urLii tapped his wide chin. "There is a special way of crafting flame from simple text."

"Why not just use fire starters?"

"Far too simple child, far too simple." He dismissed. 

"Unbelievable," Amri dropped his head, "so you brought me here today to clean up this mess?"

"Clean it if you wish, or," urLii turned away again and stepped in front of a tapestry that was hanging behind the pile of debris. "You could go on a small adventure for me." His thick fingers grasped the curtain and pulled it back, revealing a hole in the wall.

"Well now," Amri breathed, "that is certainly very interesting."

"Is that...?" Deet began, almost scared to ask. "Is it another cave?"

"Of this, I am not certain," urLii informed, "like most things."

"How did it happen?" Amri said peeking his head through the opening. 

"This was the result of my misguided spell. Without proper research, great harm can come. Luckily, this hole in the wall was my only price. So far." He looked to Deet and Amri, hoping they would be ready for exploration.

"Well, I'm up for an adventure." Amri smiled at Deet again. She agreed and readied her feet. "As long as you don't mean fixing the hole is the adventure?" He gestured to the wall.

"Fixing the mystery is your task today!" urLii assured.

Amri nodded once with pride. "Who's got my torch?"

Once inside the dark opening in urLii's wall, Deet and Amri noticed the inside was very similar to urLii's home. The walls seemed to be prepared, designed and carved, almost as if it were a continuation of the urRu's home. But the air strangely smelled far more fresh, as if a spring of fresh sky was pulsing from below the rocks. Through the middle, was a very small, thin stream of water which followed a straight path into the black.

"Don't drop your torch!" Amri instructed Deet, who was firmly grasping a wooden rod of fire with uncertainty. "I don't want to go back now."

"I've got it!" She promised, and quickly shadowed his footsteps. "See? This is why I told you we should feed the nurlocs first."

It was hard to see anything at all. The lights from the torches were not reflecting on any nearby walls, and their voices did not echo. Where were the borders of the room? Were there borders? Leading the way, Amri suddenly became fearful of what may be in front of him. They would never know if a drop off was coming, or if they could even find their way back if the fire were to go out for any reason.

Just then, Amri noticed something on the ground beside the stream. He stopped for a moment and bent down to examine a device which appeared to be hidden under a pile of dried twigs and leaves. As he cleared it away, he realized it was some kind of old flute. The shaft had cracks and dents, and mold was growing our of the mouthpiece, but it still appeared usable and unique.

"Look a this." He turned to show Deet his new discovery.

"An old flute?" She said with keen interest.

"Looks like it," he placed the instrument in his belt and looked ahead again. "This cave is likely full of surprises."

They moved forward once more, at a slow and steady pace.

"So what do you think?" Deet asked, gazing around the darkness as best she could. "What should we do?"

Amri kept his eyes locked on the stream running through the floor. "Right now, I'm following this water. It must lead somewhere. And water always knows best."

"Very true. But only in familiar places." Deet shuttered in the stillness.

As the two Gelfling made their way through the mysterious new cave, Amri's uneasiness finally began to show. His hand trembled and his feet became unsure.

"Um..." his voice cracked, "Deet?"

"Right behind you!"

Amri sighed sharply and shook his head. "Where do you find this glee in such troubling circumstances?" She came to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"There's nothing else we should feel." Her tone was soothing.

"What do you mean?"

"It's like one of the old songs," she moved ahead of him and held her torch to the sky. "This is our home. Our home welcomes us. It won't hurt us if we're only trying to explore it." Deet continued forward in Amri's place, her confidence bringing warmth to him once more. He followed her and regained his composure.

"Will you sing it for me? I could use some comfort." He said happily.

Deet laughed and cleared her voice. Then, her angelic voice broke the void.

"...For when the darkness creeps along

With night, with black, with sleep and song

Far down the crawly caverns deep

Where streams and rivers come to weep

I wake my eyes, too dark to rise

And softly spread my wings to fly

Our home this is, and was for age

Protect us all from starlight's rage

May feet be ever roots to ground

Our hands like trees, our voice the sound..."

Amri was almost brought to tears. Songs of ages past were as true today as they ever were. The words cradled his heart and illuminated his courage. He was always best at adventuring with Deet by his side, but he would never admit it. Besides, he thought she already knew.

"...That was beautiful Deet. I can't tell you how-"

"Wait," she cut him off and stood still.

He hopped to her side with a concerned expression. "What is it?" He wondered.

"Look," Deet moved her torch in front of them. It was completely burned out. "Our torches. They've gone out."

Amri grabbed her stick, then quickly studied his for any clues. "Then...where is the light coming from?"

It was true. The room around them was glowing as if the torches were still lit. But something was odd. The light was not the color of their flames. It was purple and green, emanating from the walls as if hundreds of lanterns had lit all at once above their heads. They stepped back and gasped, staring into the space above them. The top of the cave stretched high into the air, almost as if they were standing underneath a large hollow hill. Starting from it's zenith and winding down the sides of the stone walls, they could now see thousands of what appeared to be tiny flickering lights.

"Wow! Amazing." Amri exclaimed.

"What do you think it is?" Deet pondered, scanning the area.

"Some kind of cave crystals?" Amri suggested.

"Possibly. But..." Just then, Deet noticed something.

The lights were not stationary. Now they were moving.

They noticed at the same time, and took an involuntary step back in hesitation.

"Or...something else perhaps." Amri stated with a shaky voice.

"I don't remember crystals moving." Deet remarked.

"Oh no." Amri suddenly grabbed Deet's arm and moved her away from the wall. In the radiant reflections, he saw something he'd been fearing. Attached to the little balls of lights, were eight spindly legs, twitching and jolting as they floated down from the ceiling.

"Crystal spiders!" Deet shrieked and stumbled backwards. Amri held her close and scrambled his mind for a solution. His heart thumped out of his chest, his legs swayed and locked as he desperately attempted to remain the hero. But what could he do?

"What now? Should we run?" Deet asked anxiously. Amri looked behind them and noticed the entire exit way was blocked by a mass of twinkling lights.

"We can't." Was all he could manage to say.

"We can't be trapped, not like this!" Deet protested. She darted her head from side to side. "There's always a way, there has to be!"

Suddenly, he remembered her song.

"Wait! Your song Deet!" He faced her and grabbed her shoulders. 

"What do you mean?"

"Your song brought them to life!" He locked her eyes with a hopeful expression. "Maybe it can put them back to sleep."

"But my voice woke them!"

"You have to try, there's no other way!" He tried to hurry her. But then Deet remembered something herself.

"Wait, what about the flute!"

"What- play it?!"

"You found it here, it's worth a shot!"

Amri quickly pulled the instrument from his belt and held it tight in his shaking hands. "Are you sure? This flute might make them angrier."

"So could my voice!"

"I'm not sure. We have to decide! Now!" Amri protested. They gave one last frightened glance back up at the crystal spiders, who were now almost atop their heads.

This was it. What choice would it be?

Poll Results = Sing Deet!

"Use your voice, Deet!" Amri called out in the darkness. The spiders we so close now, he thought he felt his breath brush against their sparkling bodies. 

Deet thought for a quick moment, hesitated, then locked eyes with Amri. "No! The flute, I think you should try to play it first."

At this point there was no time for arguing. Amri reluctantly agreed and brought the end of the old flute to his lips with a nod. He took a shallow breath, pressed his lips, and...

No sound came.

"What's wrong?!" Deet panicked. 

"I'm not sure!" Amri pressed his lips harder and blew more aggressively.  But still, no sound came from the broken instrument. "The damage must be too great. It makes no sound!" He tossed the flute on the ground in frustration, then looked to Deet again. "It's up to you!"

Deet nodded quickly, then lifted her chin in the direction of the descending spiders. She was unsure of the appropriate song, or note or rhythm, but knew in her heart she could make the right choice. Through the black, chattering, twinkling air, one ethereal note pieced through the cave. It echoed and resonated from every corner and crack in the surface. Like an invisible bolt of lightning, crashing into the dangling insects.  

All at once, the tiny creatures halted their decent and buzzed, vibrating with the tone of Deet's voice. But just as soon as they stopped, they began to fall again, this time faster. Suddenly, Amri felt a few pricks on the back of his neck. The spiders has almost made their way down onto the floor, and were now starting to climb over their limbs and hair. They both swatted at their heads with thumps and smacks, a spastic attempt to free themselves of their blight.  

"It's not working!" Deet yelled, jumping around to avoid the spindly legs.

"Try another note!"

"I can't try many more!"

Then, Amri saw the flute on the ground beside him and received a new idea. He swiftly moved himself across the floor and knelt next to the battered device. He flicked a few spiders off the base and grabbed it once more.

"Look," he shouted at Deet, "the notes on the flute! This one can only play five!"

"Which ones? Quick!"

Amri studied the shaft of the instrument, running his finger down the side. He didn't know much about music, but urLii had instructed him many times about note identification. 

"...B, A, D, G, E!" Amri shouted, darting back to Deet's side.

"Got it!" Deet arched her head to the sky again, and began cycling through the notes with her perfect pitch. Halfway through, the spiders finally reacted.

In an instant, all of the spiders froze in place. Their legs stretched out flat, crystal bodies like sparks trying to catch a flame. The light from their tiny souls barely flickering.

"It worked!" Deet said happily, grabbing Amri's arm in excitement.

"I can't believe it." Amri breathed out a heavy sigh of relief. 

But then something else caught his eye. A large shape was looming along the side of one of the walls, much bigger than any of the spiders. It was moving slow and steady, grumbling in a low tone as it shifted from side to side. Closer and closer it came. 

"...W-what is that?" Amri asked, trying to stay brave. 

"Another spider..?" Deet wondered. 

"Can't be. It's too big."

Suddenly, a mass of bright, white light shot up from the creature's shape, glistening brighter then all the spider bodies in the room. The aura crackled and burned like the flames of a mighty bonfire. The spiders over their heads erratically came to life again, and scurried back into the cracks of the wall. 

"It is a spider! Run!" Amri screamed and dashed forward. But in his rush, he forgot about the stream in the middle of the floor, and promptly tripped and stumbled. He rolled forward, fell onto his back and came to a stop right in front of the bright flame.

"Gelfling?" A tired voice came from behind the fire. Amri shielded his eyes for a moment, until the burning light finally began to dissipate into a small torch. When Amri could see again, he recognized a very familiar face. 

"urLii!?" Amri exclaimed. Deet came to his side and helped him to his feet. "Where did you come from?"

"Oh," the old urRu pondered his own actions, "I was searching through my pantry and came across an entrance to this chamber."

"What?" Amri brushed bits of dirt and spider legs from his cloak. "You mean there was another entrance all this time?" 

"Apparently so."

"Then why did..." Amri stopped himself as he realized he was about to ask an obvious question. "Oh, never mind. It's impossible with you."

"Nothing is impossible. Not one thing. And I believe that is why I'm here!" He gazed around the room and noticed a few spiders crawling back into the crevasses. "Crystal spiders?"

"Yes," Amri remarked, "the entire cave is infested. Luckily, Deet stopped them!" He patted her on the shoulder. She returned another firm grasp on his arm.

"We both did it!" They smiled at each other warmly. "But I still don't understand what that bright light was. We thought you were a huge spider!"

"Ah, yes!" urLii tapped the end of his long torch on the ground. "I finally managed to find that alchemy spell." Deet and Amri exchanged exasperated looks. "Apparently this spell is useful for far more than boiling ta!" 

He chuckled heartily to himself, until Deet and Amri joined him.

*New Story on Saturday! 2/1/2020*  

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
Ace De Antonia

Dragoste

191M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
239K 5.9K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
1.1M 44.1K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...