The Protector

By ShadeandShadows

Thrust into an unknown world that had only lived in myth, Tracy Evans finds herself mated to a werewolf, Prot... More

Author's Note (Please read)
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (Mature Content)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 (Mature Content)
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Mature Content)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 (Short Bonus)
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30 (Mature Content)
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 (Mature Content)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 (Mature Content)
Chapter 37 (Mature Content)
Chapter 38 (Mature Content)
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Not a Chapter
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (Mature Content)
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Just a note... please read.
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Before we continue... Help Wanted
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Author's Note (Ignore this)
Author's Note
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
THE END
Author's Note
Q & A
NEW BOOK!!!
EXCITING NEWS!!!

Chapter 29

4.5K 188 34
By ShadeandShadows

CHAPTER 29

Laura sat with Tracy as she oversaw the light sparring between Omegas. As Jordan's mate and Tracy's mother, she had become an accepted member of the Cub Creek Pack. The training field the Omegas were given was located in a clearing on the East side of the Pack house, not far from where Tracy and Carla trained together. Since they were surrounded by forest their training was shielded from the rest of the pack. Laura was proud of what Tracy had accomplished.

"How are things going with Jonathan?" Laura asked.

"Eh, alright. We've both have been tired and haven't really had a chance to do more than work and sleep."

"If things were 'normal' I would be asking about college or trade school, but being a werewolf's mate, especially an Alpha, is much different than being a regular 18 year old."

"I'm glad you're not pressuring me to go to college at the moment." Tracy said.

"To be honest, college itself is overrated. Some of the biggest idiots I know are doctors. They were able to study a book but have the common sense and annoying properties of a gnat. Couple that with the fact that college is ripping off people, who are just getting started in life, is ridiculous. I would much rather you take out a loan and start your own business rather than dumping it some rich man's pocket." Laura said shaking her head, "too many study-ers and not enough doers. At this rate no one will be able to change a light bulb without calling a 'professional.' Which is fine too, if people are that stupid, you can build a light installation business. Your father started his own business. He washed windows and worked as a handyman, while at the police academy to pay bills. Made better money doing that, believe it or not, than as a police officer."

"Thanks mom." Tracy said, "I do plan to go to college but I need to get this straight first. Not that I particularly need a degree to be a Luna but I don't want my kids to one day have to fill out a form and they ask for mother's education level and they feel as though I was 'ignorant.' What about you mom? How are things going with you and Jordan?"

Tracy's mother has been worried about Jordan. He never wanted to talk about what happened when he visited his half brother. And almost immediately from his arrival back he's been pressuring her to move in with him. When he first mentioned it, Laura almost agreed but something about how nervous he seemed threw her off. She decided to wait until he chose to confide in her. While he tried to hold back his wolf's natural instinct to go all caveman on her at times he would growl over her stubbornness.

"I'm not really sure." Laura said hesitantly.

"What's wrong?"

"Well he won't tell me. I told you that he went to see his half brother, Carla's father, but he hasn't wanted to talk about it and now he seems more paranoid and doesn't want to leave my side." Laura said sighing, "I yelled at him this morning for his 'clinginess,' which I really don't mind because I love him, but it's not in a 'I love you and want to be close to you' type of thing. It seems more like a feeling of dread or fear that I'll disappear. And then there's his insistence that I move here with him. I can't trust or give into him if he doesn't trust me enough to talk to me. Anytime I try to point that out, it's like a block there that he doesn't want to hear. I'm at my wits end. I thought for sure that we were doing so well but something about going to visit his brother has upset him and he won't tell me why."

"Ooo, that's tough mom, but if you're not happy then you don't have to be with him." Tracy said.

"Oh honey it's easy to give up on something because it's not ideal or perfect but he's a missing part of my heart. I love your father so much and didn't feel as though I would ever be with anyone else but Jordan makes me feel... almost whole again." Laura said.

"Only 'almost?'" Tracy asked.

"I don't know really, I still feel like I'm missing something."

"Like what?"

"No idea. Don't get me wrong. I really love Jordan. He's been kind and patient with me. Not pushing me to let him mark me or have sex."

"AHHH! LA, LA, LA! I don't need to hear the 'S' word. Please!" Tracy said covering her ears, they both lightly blushed before giggling, "But seriously mom. I'm glad to see you happy."

A loud shout drew their attention, Carla ran over to them, "Jordan is looking for you." She told Laura.

"Why?"

"Some had broken into your house."

"Really? Why?" Laura asked as she and Tracy stood to head back to the pack house.

"Well usually I would think it would be to rob the place but the way my uncle is shaken up about it, I don't think it was a simple burglary. Jordan is about to shift and go on a rampage so you need to calm him down."

"How do I do that?" Laura asked bewildered, she was a small woman compared to Jordan's large frame.

"Try talking to him, touch and smell are also important. Jack usually will bury his nose into my neck and it calms him down." Carla replied.

"Alright then." Laura said as they approached the front of the house.

Jordan raced out shouting Laura's name.

"Calm down Jordan! I'm right here."

Jordan swept Laura up into a bear hug that was unbearable, "Put me down, you big wolf! I'm fragile." Laura protested groaning.

Jordan loosened his grip slightly but refused to let go. "What is all this carrying on about? Is Roger alright?" she asked concerned since Carla was not able to give her any details on the way over.

"He's fine, he had left to go to the hardware store in town and when he got back he noticed some things out of place," Jordan sighed, breathing in her scent deeply, calming his wolf, before demanding, "You need to move here with me. Either to the pack house or we could get one of the small cottages nearby."

"Absolutely not," Laura said pulling back, Jordan growled slightly as she stepped away.

"Your house was just broken into. It's not safe!" he shouted angrily.

Laura calmly stared at him sensing the fear in his tone, "I'm going back to my house and when you're ready to talk about everything that's been bothering you since you came back then I'll be at home." she said firmly, "Besides Roger is there and he'll be with me whenever I get back after school every evening."

Jordan looked like he was waging an internal battle for a moment before sighing, "Come, I'll give you a ride back home."

Watching Jordan's retreating figure, Laura gave Tracy a hug.

"Don't worry mom. Jordan just has a history of being a knucklehead. Give him some time and I'm sure he'll straighten out." Tracy said.

"Or you could knock him upside the head with a bat." Carla suggested as Laura said "bye" and walked away smiling.

"What is it wrong with you?" Tracy said, "You're so violent. How'd you manage to not straight out kill someone?"

"Discipline. Nothing those bullies ever did could compare to the shit Julius put me through." Carla said. Memories of a time before drifted through her mind.

"Please stop!" 7 year old Carla cried before a swift backhand threw her small body across the room.

"Your enemies do not care if you're hurt, they don't care about your pain. Your pleas for mercy only fuel their desires to break you." The tall man said hauling her up by her throat bringing her face to face with him, "Do not break. Ever."

Dropping her to the floor, she crumpled in exhaustion.

"You are a lone wolf without a pack. You have no one but your own strength. You will only reach your full potential through discipline." Juilius growled, "Discipline is knowing when to strike and when to let it go. Always have a plan, your survival depends on it."

Carla's chest tightened with temporary fear but she took a deep breath and pushed past her terror. The trauma of her training still haunts her but ironically the beast that caused her nightmares also taught her how to face them and win. The trade off was there but it was a necessity for a lone wolf to survive. Having a pack was a luxury, being cast out made you a rogue and most castouts could not maintain their sanity. Being a lone wolf whether by choice or by birth forced you to be strong in some cases stronger than even an alpha. Lone wolves like rogues were often killed on site. She was lucky that Alpha John allowed her to live.

"I hope whoever broke into mom's house is gone." Tracy said worriedly.

"I doubt that Jordan would allow your mother within a 100 miles of the house if it wasn't safe. He's probably just shook up about having his mate living apart from him and then her sanctuary being violated."

"Your probably right but I feel that there's something else going on. Mom just told me that he's been on edge since going to see your dad."

"Wait! Hold up. Jordan went to see my dad? When? Why?" Carla asked slightly panicky.

"No idea. We really didn't get far into it when you came up and told us that Jordan was looking for her."

"Dad rarely mentioned his family but I got the impression that he hated Jordan."

"Why?"

"Not sure." Carla said, remembering Juilius' angry reaction to her questions about other family members. She still had a scar from then. Juilius lost control of Jackson's rage, he shoved her across the room. She hit a picture frame and the broken glass cut into her shoulder leaving a small permanent scar.

"We need to decide on the lineup for the Omega's presentation." Tracy said breaking through Carla's thoughts.

"How's the set up?"

"Ten Omegas vs. nine pack members and Landon volunteered." Tracy said.

"Really? A Gamma? Bad enough if a regular pack member loses to an Omega but a higher rank wolf.... If he loses this could mean trouble." Carla said cautiously knowing how wolves, especially ranking wolves, prided themselves on being the strongest. To be defeated by an Omega would be humiliating which would probably lead to a harsh backlash. Despite all her training, for once Carla's first thoughts were not about self preservation but what could happen to them as a group. A pack, her pack. Carla wasn't sure what happened but in that moment, she realized that these Omegas were her pack and she needed to protect them.

"It'll be fine." Tracy said waving away her friend's concern, "Landon volunteered and beating him will prove that-"

"NO!" Carla growled, "If you put our Omegas against a Gamma they could be seriously hurt. If one of them manages to take down a rank wolf then they could be exiled because a wolf's pride is their strength. Being defeated by an Omega would be the ultimate humiliation and I'm not willing to gamble their lives to prove a point you seem to be hung up on. Because they will not survive as a rogue."

Tracy was surprised at Carla's outburst. Normally Carla was about staying out of pack affairs, but suddenly she was taking a stand and defending the Omegas she had had a huge hand in training. She knew that it was crucial that Carla's opinion was heard but at the same time it was important for this training program to work. There was no better way to show the effectiveness like defeating a ranking wolf.

"You already proved that Omegas are tough. You were an Omega and now you're a Beta Trainer."

Carla rolled her eyes, "It's not the same. My wolf is huge, rare, and obviously not an Omega."

"It is the same. You were underestimated and bullied. There isn't a single wolf out there that would dare bully you knowing that you could squeeze their blood and guts in a bucket and mop the floor with it... not sure how that would serve any purpose other than to prepare for Halloween.... I digress. The point is that we can show our pack that this training works and that it will prepare us for whatever crap is about push out the figurative pipe and hit the proverbial fan."

Carla was still hesitant over allowing this but silently debated if this was best.

"Hey don't worry." Tracy said gently, "I'm still Luna I can just tell people that this is what we are going to do if no one wants to cooperate. I promise, if even a single Omega is thrown out, without a just cause, then I will be leaving right next to them."

Carla sighed knowing that nothing she said would change Tracy's mind. She started walking back to the training field, "Fine. Let's get back to training. We got to kick some furry butts."

"Gross and disturbing." Tracy said laughing, "By the way, after the demo. Gideon has agreed to take me to see his nephew so I need you to continue training while I'm gone."

"Jonathan agreed to that?" Carla asked skeptically.

"Er...yes?"

"You haven't told him?!" Carla asked so stunned she stopped walking, "You haven't told him that you plan to alone, across the country, with the dude who asked you to marry him?!"

"I'm going to tell him," Tracy muttered before adding, "...in a note. After we leave."

"He's going to kill you, or even better he'll murder Gideon. Which will start a war with the vampires."

"He will not," Tracy retorted though her tone wasn't as confidant as she wanted to sound.

"Un huh." Carla said sarcastically as she walked away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.8K 1.6K 7
"Do you know who I am?" He asked while giving her a death glare. The moment his eyes fell on her his heart skipped a beat, but he shrugged those thou...
6.6M 193K 56
"We have a feisty one," he mumbled, tracing kisses down my neck, settling just above my breasts as he admired them, licking his lips. "She said no!"...
23.2M 652K 56
[#1 in wearwolf 6/8/17] "Come on Jenna. Just one word." He taunt. He gripped my wrist in one hand and trailed his hand down my side to my hips. His h...
7.6K 334 58
This is book one of the series. Jordan shifts slightly in my lap so she can see my face. "Liam, I want you to mark me." She bluntly states and expose...