control โ‡ข the maze runner / t...

By celestiallydesigned

"It's all about control." In which neither of them can control themselves around each other, but they'll be d... More

Dedication
Control [1]
Trailer
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
C H A O S
character q&a!

Chapter Thirty-One

4.6K 122 75
By celestiallydesigned

"Voices in my head tell me they
know best. Got me on the edge,
they're pushin, pushin. I know
they've got a plan, but the ball's
in my hands."
—Zac Efron, Scream

CONTROL,
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

RUBY WOKE UP to chaos. There was no light streaming through her window per usual. It looked a tad bit hazy. She figured she was just up extremely early and went downstairs.

Downstairs was worse.

She saw countless Gladers running around, terrified. Most of them were pointing up at the sky in fear. Ruby tilted her head up. What she saw had her choking on her own saliva. The sky was just an endless stretch of full gray, unnatural. It stretched on for miles. The sun was nowhere in sight. Not even a star lingered. No pale blue or brilliant oranges. Just a depressing grey. Ruby looked up again, like it should have changed. It didn't. No clouds. No sun. Not even darkness. Just murky gray. It was like someone had flipped a switch and turned the sun off.

Most of the boys were standing around the Box. Ruby glanced at the watch around her wrist. They should have had breakfast by now. Everyone should have been off in the Glade helping out. Instead they were panicking.

But how could the sun just disappear? That was impossible! And why wasn't she terrified?

Ruby found Thomas sort of just standing around. The gears in his head were turning. She knew that he was incredibly brilliant. Of course he would be trying to figure out a solution or explanation already.

She approached him slowly, trying not to startle him by just running up to him. For a moment he didn't acknowledge her, just stated at the sky, so she spoke. "Any ideas?"

Thomas shook his head. "It must have been fake. You can't just... you can't just take away the sun. It's gotta be artificial." That was the only real explanation he had. He couldn't tell her anything more.

Ruby pursed her lips. She too glanced up at the sky. "So, what, they just took away the sky? As what? Punishment?"

Thomas shook his head, looking hesitant. "I think Teresa did it. Or at least she had something to do with it."

"How could Teresa have done this?" Ruby gestured around them for emphasis. Gladers were still panicking. There was hardly any light. "She's half dead, Thomas."

Thomas rapidly shook his head, stammering out an answer. He didn't know how to explain himself without sounding crazy. Maybe he was crazy. Maybe they all were. "I don't — I don't know, but..." He paused, rubbing his temples. "She spoke to me again, last night. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. She said I just triggered the Ending, and then bam! The sun is gone. You can't tell me that's just some kind of... freaky coincidence."

Ruby tilted her head. If she didn't know them so well, she'd have thought he was off his rocker. Totally bonkers. But she didn't think that. She thought he was absolutely right. Ruby opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Chuck. He was horrified, the fear evident on his face. "What do you think happened?" His voice trembled, eyes glued to sky. "It looks like a big, gray ceiling — so close you could touch it."

"Better not try that, Chuck." She was trying to make a joke, but it didn't sound joyful at all. "I'm gonna go check on Leo."

Before she could leave completely, Thomas caught her arm. There was concern and worry in his eyes. Ruby glanced down at his hand, so he removed it. "Stay close, okay? Just... in shouting distance." It was a simple request, but she didn't know how she would manage that.

Still though, she nodded. "Yeah, okay. Be safe. You too, Chuck." The chubby kid looked at her long enough to force a smile. Then he was staring right back at the sky.

"Leo! There you are!", Ruby sighed in relief. She'd looked all over for the boy, only to find him with a group of boys she didn't recognize. "I've been looking all over for you!"

"Sorry if I worried you", Leo said sheepishly, his ears tinted pink. "I've been kind of freaked out by all...", he gestured around the Glade, "this."

Ruby nodded. "I get what you mean. It's... real freaky, isn't it?"

Leo nodded, looking up. He seemed more amazed by the sky than afraid of it. At least someone could find beauty in it. But, then again, Leo found beauty in everything. That's just how he was. "Yeah, real freaky", he mumbled in agreement.

Neither of them said anything for a moment. They kind of just... milled about. What was there to say? The gray sky had cast a depressing atmosphere around them all. She was brought back to reality by Minho finding Leo, kissing his cheek. "We've gotta go, Ruby. Come on, we're already late."

Ruby raised her brows. She was about to question it, but Leo beat her to it. Now this seemed to scare him. "You're still going out there?! Now?!"

Minho sighed, pulling him close to his side. "Of course we are. We have to. It's our job. If anything, this is even more of a reason to get out there. If the sun is really gone for good, it won't be long before the plants and animals start dying too. I'm pretty sure the desperation level just went up a notch."

Ruby's heart dropped to her stomach. She hadn't even thought of that. Of course it wouldn't be long. The sun was the most valuable part of any ecosystem. Without it... nothing could survive. It was the core of everything.

"Right. I'm gonna go get my stuff. I'll... be right back." Ruby half ran, half stumbled away. She'd left her book bag in her room that morning, too curious to see what was going on outside.

Once she was upstairs, she changed into her running clothes and ran a hand through her hair. It didn't usually get greasy, but it was that morning. Great. Oh well. It was the least of her worries right now. She gathered it up and put it up into a ponytail. She met the boys for breakfast, which she had to scarf down quickly. Thomas had gotten her lunch, which she was grateful for.

Leo tightly embraced Minho before they disappeared into the Maze. She could hear him mumble the words, "Be careful." It reminded Ruby of someone being forced to see their lover go off to war. Once the two were done, Leo looked pointedly at her. "You better be safe too! Don't do anything stupid!"

Ruby gave him a two fingered salute. "You've got it, dude."

With that, they jogged into the Maze.

Minho was ahead of the group, Ruby trailing behind. She was doing that on purpose though, wanting to run beside Thomas. She could tell something was bothering him, and her intention was to ask him about it during their break. Minho was rounding a corner but slammed to a stop, almost sliding. Thomas grabbed Ruby her hips, jerking her back. "What?", she whispered.

She was quickly shushed by Minho, who was leaning around the corner. She turned to Thomas for answer. 'Griever', he mouthed. Ruby's eyes widened, panic settled in her chest. Thomas seemed to realize he was still holding onto her hips, because he flushed and dropped his hands.

Minho whispered once more as he turned to face them. "It's just sitting down there — kind of like the dead one we saw."

"What do we do now then?", Ruby asked quietly. She went to go take a look herself, but Minho pulled her back.

"Are you crazy?", he whisper shouted. Ruby shrugged, as if to say 'maybe.' Minho sighed, shaking his head. "Let's just way it for a while. If it comes this way, we'll run back to the Glade." Minho looked around the corner, his face paling for a second. "Shit, it's gone! Come on!" He didn't wait for a response. Typical Minho.

"So we're running towards the thing that wants to kill us? Seems legit", Ruby mumbled as she followed. For ten minutes they ran behind this creature, always only catching the tail end of it at every turn. They stopped when they reached the Cliff. As if it were suicidal, the Griever flung itself right over the edge.

DECEMBER 15, 2019
i hope one of y'all just got an ad. 🌚
( nah, i'm just joking. )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

849K 33.6K 44
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
199K 4.6K 52
โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ เชœโ€โžด ๐…๐„๐„๐‹๐’ ๐‹๐ˆ๐Š๐„ .แŸ โ› & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. โœ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
39.8K 1.7K 43
๐“†ฉ ๐“†ช สพ ึดึถึธ%ห“ แตŽ า‚ เฃชห–๏นซ๐“‚ƒโŒ. เฃชห– i shine only with the light you give me. (i could've been anyone, anyone.) ยฉ ewstain on wp 11/07/21 - 01/16/22
509K 12.4K 20
-๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ everyone has a fear of her, but Thomas is determined to know more about her. "๐™”๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™จ๐™ค ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™ฎ, ๐™—๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™จ๐™˜๐™–๏ฟฝ...