control โ‡ข the maze runner / t...

By celestiallydesigned

"It's all about control." In which neither of them can control themselves around each other, but they'll be d... More

Dedication
Control [1]
Trailer
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
C H A O S
character q&a!

Chapter Twenty-Two

6.3K 167 48
By celestiallydesigned

"We're face to face, but we don't see eye to eye.
We're like fire and rain. You can drive me
insane, but I can't stay mad at you for anything.
We're Venus and Mars. We're like different stars,
but you're the harmony to every song I sing, and
I wouldn't change a thing."
—Wouldn't Change A Thing, Camp Rock 2

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

EVERYONE SEEMED TO be frozen after Gally left. It was stressful, and she didn't know how to handle it. Ruby's heart was beating hard and fast within her chest. It was like the organ wanted to escape.

She looked over at Thomas. Not knowing why, she rushed over and hugged him. "Are you okay?", she asked quietly.

Thomas slowly wrapped his arms around her. He nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. I think."

The Council members all remained silent. They were just as shocked as they were. Newt and Winston slowly let go of Minho. The three of them then took their seats. Silence still ensued for a while. The atmosphere was almost gloomy. "He's finally whacked for good." It was Minho who broke the silence. His words were barely heard.

"Well, you're not exactly a saint here", Newt scoffed accusingly. "What were you thinking? That was a little overboard, don't you think?"

Minho looked offended and baffled. "Don't give me that garbage", he spat at Newt. "Every one of you loved seeing that slinthead get his dues, and you know it. It's short time someone stood up to his klunk."

"He's on the Council for a reason", Newt pointed out.

"Dude, he threatened to break my neck and kill Thomas!", Minho exclaimed. "That guy is mentally whacked, and you better send someone right now to throw him in the Slammer. He's dangerous."

"Gally is a puppy, all bark and no bite", Ruby explained. "He's not dangerous."

"Seriously?", Thomas asked. "You really think that?"

Ruby raised a brow. "Has he ever actually tried to hurt anyone?"

"Maybe he had a good point", Winston whispered. She didn't think he was wanting to be heard.

"What?", Minho asked.

Winston looked shocked at being acknowledged. Ass. He looked around for a second. "Well... he went through the Changing. A Griever stung him just outside the West Door. That means he has memories, and he's seen the Greenie. Why would he make that up?"

"Because he's a lunatic?", someone said. Ruby could see the gears turning in Thomas's head. She didn't know about what.

"Winston, didn't you see what just happened?", Frypan asked in shock. "Gally's psycho. You can't put too much thought into what he says. What, you think they're Grievers in disguise?"

"Can I say something now?", Thomas asked. He looked frustrated, and Ruby couldn't blame him.

Newt sighed but nodded. "Go ahead. This bloody meeting can't get much worse anyway."

Thomas paused for a second, thinking. "I don't know why Gally hates me so much. I don't care. He seems pretty psychotic. As for who I really am, you all know just as much as I do. Have Ruby and I done anything wrong since we got here? She has practically all of her memories. If she really wanted to hurt anyone, she would have by now. If I remember correctly, we're here because of what happened in the Maze, not because some whacko thinks I'm evil." Someone laughed Z

Newt looked pretty satisfied. "Good that. Let's get this meeting over and worry about Gally later."

"We can vote without all the members here, unless they're sick like Alby", Winston insisted.

"If you wanna keep your tongue, you'd better—"

"Ruby", Newt warned. Ruby smiled and took her seat. "For God's sake, Winston, I'd say Gally's a wee bit I'll today too. So we'll continue without him. You two, defend yourselves and then we'll take a vote on what to do with you."

Ruby shrugged. "I have nothing to say. I didn't do anything but follow Thomas, that's it. I'd say it's a good thing too, he needed a little help with Alby. I do have a request though, at the end."

Thomas felt differently. "I didn't do anything wrong. All I saw is two people struggling to get inside these walls, and they clearly couldn't make it. To ignore that because of some stupid rule seemed selfish, cowardly, and, well... stupid. If you wanna throw me in jail for trying to save someone's life then be my guest. Next time, I promise I'll point at them and and laugh, then go get some of Frypan's dinner."

"Here's my recommendation", Newt said after thinking things over. "You two broke our damned Number One Rule, so you get one day in the Slammer. That'll be your punishment. I also recommend we elect you as Runners, effective the second this meeting's over. You've proven more in one night than most trainees do in weeks. As for you being the buggin Keepers, forget it. Gally was right about that. It's a stupid idea."

Minho didn't look surprised, but Thomas looked hurt. "Why?", Minho asked. "They're the best we have, I swear it. The best should be the Keeper."

"Fine. If that's true, we'll make the change later. Give it a month and see if he proves himself", Newt decided.

Minho shrugged. "Fine by me."

Newt looked around the room. "Okay, we've had several recommendations, so let's give this a go-round."

"Oh, come on! Let's just vote", Frypan huffed. "I vote for yours."

"Me too", Minho agreed. Everyone else agreed as well. The only nay was Winston. Go figure.

"We don't need your vote, but tell us what's bonkin around your brain", Newt said, looking over at Winston.

Winston looked at the two of them before back at Newt. "It's fine with me... But I don't think we should ignore what Gally said. Something about it — I don't think he just made it up. And it's true that when they showed up, everything's been all screwed up."

"Fair point", Newt nodded. "Everyone put some thought into it. Maybe when we get good and bored we can have another Gathering to talk about it. Good that?" Winston nodded in agreement. "Good. Now, Ruby, let's hear your request."

Ruby sat up straight. "When I was with the Creators, I trained to fight with some guards. Figure they must not have had much use for me otherwise. Look at everything around us like tests. In the last test, I think it'd do some good to know some skills. If it's okay with you, I'd like to give pointers to anyone who wants them. Might save a life."

"Oh, hell yeah!", Frypan cheered. "I wanna know how to do that sword thing." Ruby laughed. He made it sound so much cooler than just knowing how to fall on the floor and stab something.

Newt thought over the suggestion before nodding. "All in favor?" Everyone was in agreement with this once. "It's settled then. Ruby can spend the rest of the day, and any other free time she chooses to use, training anyone who takes her up on the offer. Spread the word. Your punishment will start tomorrow, the wake-up till tomorrow."

Well, at least that wasn't so bad. She left the room with Thomas and Minho, talking and laughing and shoving each other. Then Chuck cane running up to them. He looked sick, wringing his hands. "The Med-jacks sent me."

"Why?"

"I guess Alby's thrashing around and acting all crazy, telling them he needs to talk to somebody." When Newt went to leave, Chuck held up his hand. "He doesn't want you. He keeps asking for him." He pointed at Thomas.

Ruby groaned, patted the boy on the back. "Good luck, Tommy boy. Come on, Chuckie, you and I have got work to do."

"We do? Yes!"

Ruby laughed as she lead the boy away.

DECEMBER 14, 2019
I love Ruby so much.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

477K 9.4K 25
{Book 1 of 3} โ›โ›Cause in a sky, cause in a sky full of stars I think I saw youโœโœ Maze was only her beginning. Only the first stage of WICKED'...
947K 16.2K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
503K 12.2K 20
-๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ everyone has a fear of her, but Thomas is determined to know more about her. "๐™”๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™จ๐™ค ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™ฎ, ๐™—๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™จ๐™˜๐™–๏ฟฝ...
126K 1.4K 18
Hailey moves to a new high school that her twin brother goes to. He has some friends... that she might mess around with...