Eddie on the Edge of Everythi...

By Jules_Haigler

Orphaned Eddie is gifted a wish from the oldest star in the galaxy. Chased across space by wish-hunters and a... More

Author's Note
Dedication
1: Starlight
2: The Aunts from Hell
3: A Star Dies
4: A Most Mysterious Thing
5: The Wish-Hunter
6: The Cloak to Many Places
7: Celeste
8: Stella, The Octopus
9: The First Wish
10: The Man with all the Wishes
11: A Funny Tasting Burger
12: Luxury at the Wingspan Resort
13: Cloud Surfing and the Never-Lost Ring
14: Friendship Never Dies
16: Octopus Speech
17: The Comet Festival
18: An Atamanaa Welcome
19: The Djinn Strikes a Bargain
20: A False Imprisonment
21: The Hidden Corridor
22: Wish Battle
23: To the Wishing Well
24: A Wish on Galaxion
25: The Power of Everything
Let me know your thoughts

15: One Last Chance

1.6K 173 6
By Jules_Haigler

Along the wide window of the rotating third floor, Celeste sat in a chair with her legs crossed and a permanent scowl plastered on her face. She gave off the aura of intense displeasure as her fingers tapped on the chair's arm waiting for Jupiter to speak. The Wingspan Nebula twirled outside. Its light filtered into the dark empty room playing a kaleidoscope of colors.

Jupiter looked down at his bound hands. The glowing rope was digging into his skin making it painful to move them. Five other Wish-Hunters stood around him, their Alcemators at the ready should Jupiter decide to make a sudden move.

"Well," said Celeste.

"Well what?" asked Jupiter.

"Where did they go?"

"You tell me, Wish-Hunter," said Jupiter. "You're the one holding all the cards."

"Their ship has a cloaking device," snarled Celeste. Her fingers curled into a fist. "It is impossible to detect their location."

"Not so," argued Jupiter motioning to the Alcemator attached to her hip. "You can always wish."

"Waste a wish? Definitely not. This matter can be solved without wishing. Unlike you rich folk, we don't have access to never ending wishes. Even us Wish-Hunters have a limit. You should know that, Jupiter, former Number 2."

"I retired from that job long ago." Jupiter looked away. "What you and your organization do is wrong. Stealing wishes from children is wrong."

"And yet you use one of the Great Djinn's products." She tossed Jupiter's Alcemator in the air and caught it. Celeste leaned in close to Jupiter's face. "You're a hypocrite."

"I only use wishes because I have to," he said. "This resort is partly sustained by wishes. It is your Great Djinn that gives me no other option. It is all a money game." Jupiter sighed. "I remember hearing stories as a kid of the Djinn and his duty. If you were chosen for a wish he would appear to you and guide you to the right choice. When he turned away from his promise he corrupted wishing, made it something disgusting."

"I'm not here to talk politics or share old stories." Celeste stood up. "I'm here to locate the Wishmaker and her kidnapper."

"Novus did not kidnap Eddie," cried Jupiter. "The media is wrong. He is a good guy. Sure he's got some flaws, but Eddie is in good hands. Better her with him than with you. They said you were the one who attacked them on Earth. Of course the media ignores that fact." Jupiter smirked. "Tell me, Wish-Hunter, what does the Djinn have planned for that little girl? I know Galaxion is unique. No other star can match its power." Celeste remained silent. "So that's it," said Jupiter leaning back. "The Great All-Powerful Djinn can't just take the wish like any old star. He has to be granted its power since it was Galaxion who gave him his power in the first place. That's why you want Eddie."

"We don't question what the Djinn has planned. We only carry out his orders. And you, Jupiter, are preventing us from doing that." Celeste stomped her foot. "So I suggest you quit asking questions and start answering them. Where is the Wishmaker going?"

"I don't know," said Jupiter. "And even if I did, I wouldn't betray a friend. That star chose Eddie for a reason. Something big is about to happen."

Celeste paced back and forth along the window.

"The only thing about to happen is the shutdown of this resort. You will be left without a home and a career. The Great Djinn gives and also takes away. Do you dare defy him?"

"The Djinn is powerless without the stars!"

Suddenly there was a bright flash of light and the smell of singed carpet. When the smoke cleared, a man with blue skin dressed in a sharp suit stood amongst the group.

"My lord," cried Celeste dropping to her knees. The other Wish-Hunters did so as well. The Djinn fixed his collar and pulled at his sleeves.

"What a pity," he said glaring at Celeste. "I gave you powerful gifts and yet you still failed me."

"No, my lord," cried Celeste, rising to her feet. "I was... I was..."

"You were out done by a little girl, an octopus, and a washed up Wish-Hunter." The Djinn calmly turned away. "Why do I surround myself with such incompetence."

"Give me one more chance, my lord, to prove myself," pleaded Celeste.

The Djinn turned to Jupiter. His eyes were wide with fright.

"Ah, Jupiter. How long has it been since last we met?"

"How did you get here without a spaceship?" he said.

The Djinn posed with his suit.

"I save the best creations for myself you know," said the Djinn. He reached out and tugged at Jupiter's purple suit. "I'll need to get the contact for your tailor. Seems even with wishing I can't achieve what skilled hands can create."

"Why have you come to the Wingspan Resort?" asked Jupiter. "Surely you aren't here for the sights."

"No," said the Djinn. "I'm here because I tapped into your security system when I heard the news and I found a rather interesting piece of information." The Djinn handed a thin metal strip to Celeste. "Make yourself useful and play the scene on this file so we can all see."

Celeste shoved it into her watch. The watch created a hologram across the room showing Jupiter handing Eddie a small round object. The girl flicked her wrist and a golden string appeared above it.

"A Never-Lost Ring," whispered Celeste. "But those are all thought to be destroyed by you, my lord."

"Indeed they were," he said. "In fact, you were my lead wish-hunter assigned to the project to seek and destroy all the Never-Lost rings."

"I don't see the reason for your alarm," said Jupiter, raising his chin at the Djinn. "It's just a harmless ring to keep her safe."

"Wrong!" yelled the Djinn. "It is an illegal item that leads one to their destiny. You stole it from me and now you give it to the owner of Galaxion."

"Do I sense fear?" chuckled Jupiter. "Is the Great Djinn threatened by a little girl."

"That little girl just got a powerful boost. Her destiny is my destiny. If she succeeds everything I have worked for will be lost."

"I know why you're afraid," said Jupiter. "Galaxion is seeking to destroy you for abandoning your promise." Jupiter smirked. "Yeah, I know the deal you had with the stars. You don't get to number two in the organization without catching a few details."

"So you betrayed the Federation?" The Djinn raised his eyebrows. His hands shook with anger.

"The universe doesn't need wishes to survive. The Federation only keeps you around because you can make the impossible possible. After all my time working for you, I learned that the universe is imbalanced." Jupiter leaned forward. "Perhaps fate has finally decided to set the universe straight."

The Djinn raised his Alcemator in the air. A powerful force took hold of Jupiter and twisted him in the air.

"You plan to kill me," cried Jupiter.

"No," said the Djinn. "I have something worse for you. You will betray your friend in the worst way possible and then when that is done, I will send you into oblivion through the black hole at the edge of the galaxy."

"And how do you plan on accomplishing that?"

"Oh you'll see," said the Djinn snatching Celeste's Alcemator.

The Djinn turned into a vapor and vanished into Jupiter. He shook for a moment until his eyes turned blue. The bonds gripping his hands fell to the floor. Jupiter turned to Celeste and smiled.

"How do I look?" said the Djinn in Jupiter's voice as he floated to the ground.

Celeste nodded and swallowed uneasily.

"You look great, my lord."

"Good," he said, cracking his neck. "A tight fit, but this should do for now." The Djinn strode across the room getting used to the new body. He approached Celeste and placed his hand under her chin. "Now I'm going to give you one last chance to prove your worthiness to me."

"Anything, my lord."

"The Wishmaker is headed to the planet Drax."

"The desert planet? Why?"

"Our rogue will certainly need supplies after that encounter with you. What better place for a rogue to get federation technology than a planet full of smugglers?"

"What do you wish me to do, my lord." Celeste stood by as the Djinn looked out the window.

"I have a plan and for it to work you must follow my instructions exactly. We must turn Eddie Eversby against everyone she trusts."

"Aye, my lord," said Celeste bowing. "You are most forgiving and wise. In no time, Galaxion will be yours."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6K 1.1K 8
| ๐Ÿณ๐˜… ๐—™๐—˜๐—”๐—ง๐—จ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—— ยท [Open Novella Contest 2019 Longlist] Una Morales's week is not going so well. To begin with, her twin sister, Paz Morales...
5.8K 350 24
Moving 1,370 miles away from home to take care of her grandma wasn't how Ashlyn Emerson planned on spending her summer. She knew taking care of the w...
62.1K 4.4K 28
[2022 WATTYS WINNER] | Tracey Higgenbottom, Mr. Porter's witty assistant, finds herself at a dead-end when constables dismiss a case of his possible...
6.3K 270 38
"and in the end she realized no matter how much history they shared, there was never going to be a future." A nuclear apocalypse sends what's left of...