The Stowaway

By littleLo

Eliza Banes, her ambition for adventure and her penchant for trouble, have often been trying on her poor mama... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
Epilogue
Bonus Epilogue

XIII

24.9K 1.6K 380
By littleLo

"Peter was not quite like other boys; but he was afraid at last. A tremour ran through him, like a shudder passing over the sea; but on the sea one shudder follows another till there are hundreds of them, and Peter felt just the one. Next moment he was standing erect on the rock again, with that smile on his face and a drum beating within him. It was saying, "To die will be an awfully big adventure." J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan 

----

XIII.

It seemed that fear was becoming second nature to Tom, and he did not enjoy the feeling whatsoever. Fear, perhaps, was too light a word. Absolute terror, instead, was what could describe what was happening inside his head as his eyes darted between Eliza and the approaching pirate ship.

Pirates were a dangerous hazard that all sailors had to be prepared for. Pirates often targeted ships like Tom's. Trade ships that carried goods and were light on ammunition.

Tom's goal whenever they were boarded by pirates was to preserve life. Be amenable and fair, and all could live to go their separate ways. The pirates were after things of value, goods they could hawk and indulge in.

Tom always carried a supply that could be surrendered should they be boarded, which would not interfere with his main supply. What worried him was that the pirates were intercepting them on the way to Jamaica. They did not have the usual supply that they could readily surrender, and that could result in a conflict.

Pirates did not care about preserving life as Tom did.

Tom would surrender what he could, and they would travel for the next few weeks on a less varied diet. Better a boring menu than a slit throat.

Tom knew the ship that was approaching, and it was because of this ship that he did not fly British colours. He was boarded by these pirates at least once a year, and he had managed to keep it peaceful. He prayed to God that it would remain that way.

There were some things, though, that pirates did not ask for. There were some things that they would take, and use, and destroy for their own pleasure, without a second thought.

And he was watching her descend the rope net at an alarmingly slow pace. Tom's heart was racing. He could see that Eliza was scared, she was frightened of falling, and so she was taking one step at a time very carefully.

If those men, those dastardly evil brutes saw her, then they would not leave without her. Tom would not allow that to happen. Over his dead body would they take a woman from his ship.

"ELIZA, MOVE!" Tom yelled up at her, but he knew that shouting at her would not help the situation. "I take my eye off of her for one second," he hissed under his breath.

Tom turned to Jackie, who was commanding the men, getting them on their ship's guns just in case.

"Bring up eighty percent of the tea and sugar," he commanded, "and all but one barrel of rum. We will resupply in Kingston."

Eliza was not moving quick enough and Tom could see Zacky above her in the crow's nest urging her to go faster. If they survived this, Zacky would suffer much more than a broken nose. How dare he take Eliza anywhere!

Tom needed to think fast. He needed to get Eliza down and hide her before they were boarded.

"Fast approaching, sir!" called out Cian from the helm, telescope in hand.

Tom seized hold of one of the rope and pulley systems that was attached to the mast. Choosing one that would do the least damage, he took his sabre from his hip and swung it into the rope, severing it and denting the mast. Tom was immediately lifted into the air and taken up to the crow's nest, where Zacky was standing looking quite intimidated.

Tom steadied himself by holding onto the barrel. "I will deal with you later," sneered Tom. He let go over the rope, which quickly unwound from the top pulley and fell to the ground below. "Eliza," he shouted down to her.

Eliza looked up at him. His next words were caught in his throat as he looked into her petrified green eyes. He had not seen her genuinely fearful before, and his instinct was to bring her comfort.

"You hold on nice and tight, do you understand me? I am going to jump down to you, and the rope will shake. Do not let go!" Tom managed to instruct.

Eliza wordlessly nodded. He watched as she wrapped her arms around the rope, securing herself as best she could.

Tom looked out onto the sea just before her jumped. The pirate ship, Mary's Damnation, was travelling twice as fast as they were, and was quickly making up ground, or sea. Tom let go of the crow's nest and jumped down onto the net. Just as he had told her, his weight quite violently shook it, and Eliza whimpered as she held on for dear life.

Climbing was second nature to Tom, as he had spent many of his early years at sea as the lookout. He quickly descended to where Eliza was. "Climb on my back," he instructed. "Quickly. We have no time to waste."

Eliza looked hesitant and was in no way ready to let go of the rope.

Tom had already used up the last of his tender patience and understanding. He immediately grabbed her arm, pulling it off of the rope and then bringing it over to his shoulder, helping her to wrap her arm around his neck. Thankfully, Eliza moved her other arm by herself.

He was suddenly carrying her full weight, which, thankfully as she was the size of a twelve-year-old, did not hamper him. However, she was holding onto his neck just as tightly as she had been clinging to the neck, and therefore was crushing his airway.

Tom needed to move quickly. Just as soon as Eliza was off of the net, Tom began to descend at great speed, barely holding onto a rung before he was dropping past it. As soon as they were only a few feet from the deck, Tom pried Eliza's arms off of his neck and helped her drop down.

Eliza stumbled off of her feet and fell on her backside. Tom jumped down beside her and seized her hand before she had a chance to catch her breath. He pulled her to her feet and dragged her with him towards his cabin.

Was this the best place to hide her? Could he keep them away from the cabin? If they went inside, could she be well hidden?

Tom pulled open the door and brought Eliza to the bed. "Get underneath it," he instructed, motioning for her to get under the bed.

Realisation seemed to have occurred for Eliza, and that only increased the fear in her eyes. "Are they going to hurt me?" she whispered, her voice so vulnerable it made the hairs on the back of Tom's neck stick up.

Looking into her eyes, her wide, frightened, beautiful eyes, Tom swore, "I will never let anyone hurt you." It was a promise he could have never foreseen himself making, but he felt its truth in his bones. "Do not make a sound, do you understand me? Not a word, not a peep. Do not move and do not breathe. You do not come out from under this bed unless it is me asking you to."

The bed was only six or seven inches off the floor, and only someone Eliza's size or small could fit under there.

Eliza obeyed him for the first time since he had met her, and she crawled underneath the bed. Tom quickly made the bed, pulling the blankets down so they covered her well.

Tom purposefully left his cabin unlocked. If it was locked, it would seem as though he had something to hide.

His crew had assembled on deck, with the goods to be surrendered piled neatly by the ladder. They were awaiting his instructions.

"We have been through this before," Tom said calmly, though inside he was anything but. "Be amenable and speak only when you are spoken to. They will come, they will take, and they will leave, and everyone lives to see another day." He took a breath before his voice turned dark. "But so help me God, if anyone, anyone," he sneered, looking directly at Zacky, "breathes a word as to Eliza's presence on board this ship, what I do to you will be farworse than what they will do to her if she is discovered. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!" chanted the crew.

Mary's Damnation came to a stop beside the Atlantis as they dropped their anchor. Tom stood stoically as he watched the crew swing over plants of wood in an effort to board his ship. Tom kept a ready hand on his pistol, and he knew that Jackie was prepared below deck with men on the guns if necessary.

The pirates aboard Captain Frost's vessel were a colourful collection of wayward, lost souls. The reason that Tom did not fly British colours was that Captain Frost had once been a lieutenant in His Majesty's Navy. But after a mutiny, and self-promotion, a new ship name, and a decade of plundering, Captain Frost was one of the most wanted men in Britain. He had an immediate appointment with the hangman's noose if ever the navy got a hold of him, but that was not Tom's concern. His concern was his own crew and keeping them alive.

Captain Frost walked across the wooden plank, dressed impeccably well, and much better than any man aboard Tom's ship. His coat was adorned with brass buttons and his hat was covered in ostentatious ostrich feathers. His missing teeth had been replaced by false one made of gold. His mouth alone could have fed a family for a year, or five. But his skin was that of a sailor's, tan and leather like, after years at sea.

No matter his rather ridiculous dress, Captain Frost was not to be underestimated. On his person alone he carried three pistols, a sword, and a knife. He had boasted to Tom of them all during one boarding. All had been taken from dead captains.

Captain Frost walked confidently across to Tom, flanked by his loyal, and significantly less ostentatious, first and second. Smiling, his gold teeth shone in the sun.

"You've prepared a welcoming party for me, Tom. You are always so hospitable," he declared, his voice saccharine sweet.

"You have caught us without our cargo," replied Tom calmly. "We have not yet reached the West Indies."

"No matter, no matter," replied Captain Frost. "I know I can always rely on you to hand over whatever you have without a fight. You have always been so weak in that respect," he goaded. His eyes narrowed as he tried to taunt Tom, to engage him in a fight just for the fun of it.

But Tom did not flinch. He did not show an emotion. Captain Frost could think him weak all he liked. His was not the opinion that he cared about. Tom had a responsibility to get each one of his sailors home to their mothers, their wives, and their children. Theirs were the opinions that he cared for.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Captain Frost's crew begin to make their way about his ship. They would inspect and check and look for valuables. There was not one rich man on this ship that carried so much as a sovereign. Things like gold pocket watches, and gold teeth, were completely unattainable to men such as these.

His men stood motionless as instructed as a few of Captain Frost's men began to descend the ladder down below deck.

Captain Frost circled Tom in appraisal, dragging his index finger over the hilt of his sabre, clicking his tongue in appreciation. "Well, I see you have gathered a nice supply of goods for us, Tom," he said, nodding towards the pile.

"Yes," murmured Tom calmly. "All supplies that I am certain you can find a buyer for," to swindle, he added in his head. "Tea, sugar, and rum."

"Captain!" cried a voice from below deck. A head popped up, and a bundle of fabric suddenly flew past Tom's face.

Captain Frost caught the garment, and Tom's stomach dropped to the floor. It was Eliza'sdress!

The dress, the fine gown that she had stowed away in, the one that she had ruined with rum and Lord knows what else. It was dry now, and stained, but it was still very clearly a woman's ensemble.

"Ah," Captain Frost said, a sickening smile spreading across his face. "Is there a woman aboard, Tom?" He arched an eyebrow as he asked.

Tom prayed that his face remained as stoic as ever. His men, thankfully, had not reacted either. He thought as quickly as he could for an excuse that would sound even marginally plausible.

"My first mate is French," Tom said in a quick reply. "I am sure you know how they are."

Captain Frost let out a burst of hearty laughter. "Where is the woman, Tom? I am asking nicely. Do not make me ask again." His hand went to his hip and rested on his pistol. "Find her!" he instructed to his crew.

Tom's heart thundered in his chest. If ever he needed a miracle, now was it. "Do these men look as though they have had the comfort of a woman?" he asked as nonchalantly as possible. "The poor sailors are counting down the days until we make port so that they can have one, two, as many as they want." He held up his hands. "I would never allow a woman aboard this ship regardless. You know they are frightful bad luck. My first mate brought that dress aboard and whatever he does with it is his business, so long as it does not interfere with the running of this ship. As you can see, it is not in a state to be worn by a woman. Look at it, it's filthy," he remarked. Behind Captain Frost, he could see the crewmen making their way up to the helm. Tom needed to keep them away from his cabin.

Captain Frost held out the dress and appraised the state of it. "Is it a child's dress?" he asked, referring to the length of it.

"I haven't the foggiest idea of where he found it," lied Tom coolly.

Captain Frost turned up his nose as he dropped the dress on the deck. As he did so, Tom spied one of his crew member's opening the door to his cabin. Bile rose in his throat at he went inside. Vivid images of what might happen to Eliza flashed through his mind and they made him sick with rage, but he knew, he knew that to keep her safe he needed to remain calm and convince Captain Frost that there was nothing amiss.

"What a waste of good lace," remarked Captain Frost distastefully. "Do you know what, I believe you, Tom," he decided, laughing once more. "You are much too tense to have had the use of a soft woman or two. I heartily hope you rectify that soon, for your health, you know." He then barked at his crew members to gather the supplies and carry them onto Mary's Damnation.

Tom watched in silent terror as the crewman emerged from his cabin without alerting anyone as to the terrified woman presently hiding underneath the bed. "I appreciate the advice," said Tom, his calm demeanour mere moments from cracking due to the sheer pace of his heart.

He stood still as he watched the pirates carry their goods across onto their own ship. Crate by crate, barrel by barrel. Captain Frost was the last remaining on board.

"Always a pleasure, Tom," he said sharply, tipping his ridiculous hat. The he, too, turned around and walked across the plank and stepped back down onto his own ship.

Tom did not regret letting them board, nor letting them take what they wanted. They were lawless, and one day the law would catch up with them. But he had succeeded in his one goal. He had kept everyone alive. Including Eliza.

He did not move, nobody did, until their ship's anchor had been lifted and they were on their way to plunder the next helpless trade ship.

"Good work, men," Tom uttered calmly as soon as the ship was a good two hundred feet from them. He then walked calmly, not rushing, just in case Captain Frost still had eyes on him, up to his cabin.

When he opened the door, he could see that the room had been ransacked in the minute or two that the sailor had been in there searching. The desk was upturned, the wardrobe turned out, and the mattress had been slashed and flipped. But the bed was in place, and Eliza was concealed by the solid bedframe.

"Eliza," he called out. "It's alright. It's safe."

A loud sob sounded in the room and he heard Eliza burst into tears. The sound pulled at him in a way he had never felt before, and he became desperate to pull her out. He got down on the floor and looked under the bed. Eliza was properly flat against the deck. Tom grabbed her hand and pulled, with Eliza sliding out from under the bed in a second.

She was shaking, and he did the only thing that he could think of to do. He pulled her into his arms.

"I thought he would find me," she whimpered. "I thought he would ..."

"Shh," hushed Tom. He felt tense, and yet oddly calm at the sensation of holding Eliza. She was so small and delicate, and she cuddled into his chest as if by instinct. "You are safe. They are gone." The fly aways of her blonde hair were tickling his nose.

Eliza calmed down quickly by taking deep breaths. This helped to stop her shaking and her crying. She quickly wiped her eyes using the sleeve of his coat. She righted herself, climbing out of his lap and sitting with her legs crossed in front of him. Her eyes were red and swollen, which only made them look all the more green. She tucked the wayward strands of hair behind her ears and she sighed.

"That was horrible," she stated.

"I know," he replied quietly.

"I was terrified," she continued.

"I know."

"But you kept me safe."

"What you have to understand, Eliza, is that the sea is not a safe place, and it is filled with those who would do you ill," Tom informed her clearly, yet calmly. "I think you do understand that now. I do not fight those men. I let them take what they want from my cargo to preserve life. But women are a whole other commodity. Women are not respected ... or even protected, in some of these parts. They are property, free to be taken by whatever man she catches the eye of. If those men had found you ... well, I think you know what would have happened." Tom would have gone down fighting. The conviction he felt in knowing this was startling.

Eliza chewed on her bottom lip and nodded. "I do, I understand. You must think me a colossal fool, Captain," she murmured.

Perhaps. Perhaps he did not truly understand Eliza Banes' motives for stowing away, and putting herself in the danger that she did, but that did not mean that she deserved to be in danger.

"I trust you, Captain," Eliza said suddenly, with an odd sort of frown on her face, as though she was not expecting to feel that way. "I have heard different things, but I want to make up my own mind. I am notorious for not listening to others anyway. You know that as well as any." She laughed at herself a little. "I trust you," she said again.

Tom had never heard those words before. He was used to being depended upon, in having the loyalty of his crew. Trust came with that. But he had never had a woman, a young woman such as her, verbally put her trust in him. It felt different to responsibility. "We have another several weeks before we reach Jamaica," Tom stiffly informed her. He did not know the purpose of that statement. Tom stood up abruptly, and Eliza seemed just as taken aback. "I will leave you to right yourself." He turned for the door and paused, uttering, "Zacky Ellis is not your friend. If you trust me, take heed of this," before leaving her. 

----

Hope you enjoyed it!

I met my class today and they are so cute!! They seemed to like me so I hope they tell their parents I'm nice hehehe. 

Vote and comment xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 1.8K 6
Cassandra didn't know what was wrong with her. Why didn't any of the Earls and Barons appeal to her? As a woman of four and twenty living in 1804 En...
A Secret Ambition By Laura

Historical Fiction

102K 9.4K 29
Before giving herself over the the inevitable marriage mart that is the London Season, Lily Beresford is determined to make a clandestine foray out i...
193 7 20
The quick witted and smart Princess Victoria has always wanted a life outside of her castle walls in Prussia. So, in order to live a normal life as p...
1.5M 90K 36
Katy Fairchild is an orphan and knows that no respectable man will marry her. But when a storm throws her into the arms of a mysterious stranger, wil...