Our Love Story

بواسطة ALastGoodbye

Despite growing up together, Nova and Everett never got along. They would always bicker and get into little a... المزيد

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Fourteen

93 7 0
بواسطة ALastGoodbye

Sometimes I do things without thinking. Oh, who am I kidding, everything I do, I do without thinking. Which is why I now, at this moment, am freaking out.

Yesterday, the day before Thanksgiving, I texted Levi and told him that I had to talk to him about something. I was planning on telling him how I felt and that I wasn't interested in dating him. So, he mentioned to me that he would be joining us at Katherine's home for Thanksgiving dinner, which was more like a Friendsgiving actually, and that we could talk then. I said sure. And now, I was kicking myself for it since we're going to be around everyone we knew, which included Katherine and Everett.

Plus, I didn't notice how bad the timing was at first until I told Ava. "Wait," she had said on the phone when I called her after texting Levi. "You're going to be breaking up with him at the Friendsgiving, you know that, right?"

My eyes widened. "Oh, shit! That's kind of messed up." I groaned into the phone, throwing myself back onto my bed. "What the fuck."

Ava laughed. "You always do things without thinking first!" she said. "Anyway, you should probably wait until later then."

"I don't want to, though," I mumbled. "I would feel bad for dragging it out, feeling like this."

"That's true," she said. "Well, just wait for the right timing! Get him alone with you."

So now, presently, I am sitting on Katherine's living room couch for the Friendsgiving party she's throwing. I took a sip of my soda, my hand slightly shaking from nerves, and exhaled slowly. Levi was somewhere, I don't know where, but he was in the building. When I arrived, he smiled at me and kissed me on the cheek, making me feel a million times worse than I already did.

I bit my lip, my right leg jittering up and down as it always did when I was nervous or lost in thought. Right now, it was due to nerves.

"Are you okay?" A deep voice asked. I looked up to see Everett standing there, peering down at me.

"Me? I'm fine!" I said, laughing exaggeratedly. "Just peachy. Why do you ask?"

He sat down next to me, a little close, making me lean back a bit and biting my lip harder. "Your leg always does that when you're nervous." He looked pointedly at my right leg, which was still jittering up and down. I stopped it and wracked my brain for an excuse.

"I-I'm not nervous," I said. "I just, uh, can't wait to eat. That's all." I looked at him, narrowing my eyes. "Why would you care if I was nervous or not?"

He stared at me. "I was just curious what's got you all worked up, that's all." He stood up from the couch. "Anyway, the food is almost ready, so you can calm down."

I sneered at him as Katherine walked over to us and sat down on the other loveseat she had across from the one we were sitting on. "What's up, you two?" she asked us, smiling and holding onto her glass on wine. "You guys seem to be getting along fine these days. I'm so happy!"

Staring at her, I just sighed. "Does it seem that way?"

She nodded. "Yup! I love that you two are getting along." Taking a sip of her wine, her eyes lit up like she just remembered something. "Oh, right! Nova, why didn't you tell me you're going out with Levi?!"

As she said that, I was taking a gulp of my soda, which I started choking on. Pounding on my chest with my fist, I coughed hard, trying to get the sting of the soda out of my throat before I answered. Everett looked at me, slightly worried, and patted my back. "W-What?" I asked her.

"Levi told me you two started seeing each other," she told me. "I wasn't expecting that!" I could've sworn I saw her eyes flicker over to Everett really quickly, but she threw a smile at me just as quick as her gaze left him. "So, are you planning on having him as your date for my wedding?"

I bit my lip, wondering what I should say. I mean, I can't exactly tell her here, right now, in the living room where other people could hear us, that I was planning on ending things with Levi. Now that I thought about it, it was kind of shitty of me to end it so quick. However, I figured it would be best to put a stop to it now rather than later.

"I...," I trailed off. I could feel my nerves rising up again, which was not good. Katherine watched me, patiently waiting. Even without looking, I can tell Everett was watching me as well from the corner of his eye. "Um-"

"Hey!" A loud voice exclaimed suddenly, causing me to jump in my seat, screaming. I looked up and found Peter peering down at me. "Oh my, Nova, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you." He smiled sheepishly. "I just wanted to let you guys know the food will be ready soon."

"Oh." I nodded my head, still getting over being startled. "Thanks."

"Hey...," A low voice grumbled to my left. I turned my head to see Everett glaring at me. As I raised an eyebrow at him, that's when I noticed his soaked t-shirt from my soda.

I blinked rapidly before smiling innocently. "Sorry?" I squeaked.

Katherine laughed. "Accidents happen!"

Peter smiled apologetically at Everett. "Sorry, man!" he said. "It's because I scared her. Nova, I should have some t-shirts in the laundry room that he can wear. Why don't you show him where it is?"

I placed my now empty cup onto the coffee table and stood up. "Sure," I said before looking at Everett. "Come on."

We walked down the hall to a door at the end which led to the laundry room. Stepping in, Everett closed the door behind us as I walked over to one of the many baskets they had, rummaging through the one that contained old clothes. I pulled out a navy t-shirt that Peter used to wear and held it out to Everett. "You guys are almost the same height so it should fit," I said.

"Thanks." He took the shirt, setting it onto the counter before slipping his soaked shirt off. My eyes widened. How did I forget that he would have to take off his shirt to put on the new one?

I cleared my throat, turning my head away discreetly, before jumping as he suddenly spoke. "I have a question," he said.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning my head back to look at him, seeing that he was still shirtless and my eyes widened again.

He walked closer, his eyes gazing down at me. "Is there something bothering you?" he asked. "You've been acting weird all day."

"Nothing's wrong," I said nonchalantly.

"Then why couldn't you answer Katherine earlier?"

My eyes rose to meet his and we stared at each other in silence. I was unable to read the look in his eyes. I scrunched my brows. "No reason."

"There is one."

I pressed my lips together as I glared at him. "Urgh, fine!" I yelled, throwing my arms up in the air. "First, put the damn shirt on!"

"Why do I need a shirt on for you to answer me?" he asked, raising a brow.

"Because it's distracting!" I shouted before I could stop myself. He stared at me as I could feel myself turn red. "Wait-"

He smirked. "Distracting?" Putting one hand on the counter behind me, he leaned down, bringing our faces closer. I backed up, which didn't help at all as my back bumped into the counter.

"H-Hey," I said, raising my arms up in defense. "What are you doing?"

"You being distracted by my shirtlessness means that you like it, right?" he asked, making my eyes bulge out of their sockets.

"What the fuck?" I said. "Listen, anyone would be distracted by a weirdo who didn't want to put on a shirt, okay?"

"Keep telling yourself that," he said before backing off and finally putting the shirt on. "So, are you going to tell me the reason why you've been acting weird?"

I stared at him before sighing heavily. "I kind of was planning to break it off with Levi tonight," I muttered. Everett looked at me, eyes widened slightly in surprise. "It's just when Katherine said all those things, it started to make me feel worse than I already did, and I don't know what to do."

He watched me before walking over to me. "What you want to do?" he asked.

"I want to end it," I said.

"So, end it."

I rolled my eyes. "You say that like it's easy," I said, walking past him to the door. Just as I put my hand on the doorknob, Everett's hand covered mine. I looked up at him.

"It'll be over soon. And..." He looked down at me. "I'll be here."

"What, are you going to comfort me?" I asked, jokingly.

"Yeah," he answered seriously. I stared at him silently before yanking my hand out from his.

"What the hell?" I asked. My heart was racing. Why is he acting like this and saying all these things to me? He blinked at me, confused, as I opened my mouth to continue speaking. "Why are you-"

Before I could finish what I was saying, the door to the laundry room opened. Since I was standing in front of it, the door crashed into me, sending me flying back. Everett caught me, wrapping his arms around me.

"The hell?" He growled at whoever it was that had just possibly given me a concussion. I rubbed my head as it throbbed in pain before looking up.

It was Katherine, who had a surprised look on her face. "Nova, I'm so sorry!" she said. "I came to get you two because you were gone for a while." She smiled apologetically, peeking at me. "Are you okay?"

"Other than the throbbing pain in my head from where you hit me with the door, I'm just peachy," I answered her, pouting. "Can't you knock? What if-" I stopped myself, clearing my throat. I was just about to say something stupid. The last thing I needed was for Katherine to get any weird ideas of what we were doing in here that was taking us so long.

"'What if' what?" Everett asked, a joking tone to his voice.

"Nothing!" I exclaimed and pushed myself out of his arms. "Anyway, I'm going to go get something to eat! Leave me alone!"

Katherine stepped back as I pushed past her, grumbling. "What the heck?" she muttered. "What's up with her today?"

Everett just shrugged. "No idea."

After everyone had eaten, we all gathered in the living room, just chatting. I stood off to the side, tapping my fingers against my thigh unconsciously. The later into the night it got, the more nervous I grew. So far, I haven't been able to get Levi alone since the place was filled with all his friends who kept striking conversations with him.

A hand on my shoulder cause me to jump. "Hey, Nova!" Ava greeted me. I stared at her, wide-eyed. "Luka and I are finally here." She glanced around her before leaning closer to me and whispering. "So, did you do it yet?"

I shook my head furiously. "Nope. Nervous. Scared. Might pee myself." I sighed. "Plus, he's having such a good time. Should I even ruin it?"

Ava opened her mouth to speak when she closed it, staring pointedly at someone walking up to us. I turned my head to see Levi there, smiling. "Hey, Ava," he said to her and she smiled. "Mind if I steal Nova for a sec?"

She smiled. "Not at all!"

He took my hand in his and started to lead me up the stairs. I turned my head to look at Ava, who just shot me two thumbs up in encouragement with a slightly nervous smile.

Levi took me to the guest bedroom where he was staying for the weekend due to his house being renovated at the moment. He closed the door behind us. "So, you said you wanted to talk to me?" he asked, sitting on the bed. He patted the spot next to him and I sat down slowly.

I laughed, and it came out loud and uneven in nervousness. "Yeah, there's just something I've been wanting to say," I said, rubbing my sweaty palms on my jeans.

He looked at me, his slightly curly brown hair falling into his eyes. "What is it?" he asked, smiling.

My mouth opened and closed, but no words came out. I stared as my hands formed into fists on my lap. My mind flickered back to the moment in the laundry room with Everett. I remembered his words, spoken so seriously that it made my head spin. The warmth of his hand on mine which made butterflies swarm around in my stomach. All these feelings that Levi didn't give me.

"I'm sorry," I finally said. I looked over at Levi. "I don't think I can continue dating you."

------------------------------------------

I trudged down the stairs of Katherine's house slowly in a daze. Levi took the news like a champ. He had smiled at me in understanding.

"To be honest, I had a feeling you weren't into me like that," he had said, smiling sheepishly.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I really am."

"Don't be," he told me. "You don't have to apologize. I'll be fine."

I smiled slightly. "Alright, then." Breathing in slowly, I cleared my throat. "There's also another thing. I wanted to tell you that I won't be working at the restaurant anymore." His eyebrows rose. "Yes, it's partly due to me breaking things off, but also my mom needs help with her catering business and asked me to help out."

He smiled. "Well, I'll be sad to see one of my favorite employees go," he said. "However, it's not a problem. I just want you to be happy."

"Thank you, Levi." My eyes glistened with tears, but I didn't let them fall. "Really. And I'm sorry, again."

Now, I reached the bottom of the staircase, sighing. I noticed someone leaning against the wall and looked up. It was Everett, standing there with his arms crossed. He looked over at me lazily. "So, how did it go?" he asked me.

"It went well," I said. "You were right. It was over in a flash."

"Need me to comfort you?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You know, you've been saying some really weird things lately."

He ran a hand through his hair. "Really?" he asked. "I didn't notice."

My mouth fell open in shock. "What the fuck?" I asked. "Are you serious?"

He didn't answer as Ava came running over to us. "Hey!" she said, latching onto my arm. She glanced at Everett before looking at me. "Come on."

She led us away from him as he just watched us disappear into the kitchen, which was now empty from any other person being inside. "So, how did it go?"

"It went fine," I said. "Surprisingly."

She exhaled in relief. "That's great!" she said. "So, you're free. What are you going to do now?"

I raised a brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Everett."

"Nothing!" I exclaimed. "Nothing. I will do nothing."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "We'll see about that. Soon, your feelings will just grow and grow then bam!" She clapped her hands together, making a loud sound. "Your chest will overflow with feelings for him and then what will you do?" Her eyebrows wiggled. "You'll jump him, not being able to take it anymore!"

I blinked at her. "What the fuck?" I was too flabbergasted at her words to even respond to that.

Ava laughed evilly. "Just wait. Then you'll understand what I mean."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

313K 2.7K 26
Hazel and Matt were best friends when they were younger. But that faded away since high school, all of the sudden they hated eachother after an embar...
4.3M 57.9K 11
Zaden Voss, extremely hot, somewhat smart, even funny in a way. Ever girl's perfect guy. But not for Nova, an average girl with bad anxiety problems...
602 77 35
When twenty-three year old Gemma Perry receives a wedding invitation in the mail of her New York apartment, she thinks nothing of it. Though when she...