The Darkest Word

By arisome

"You really are testing me" he says sharply. "And so are you" I snap back. "If you want this deal, you're go... More

Meet The Characters
Chapter 2

Chapter 1

564 135 414
By arisome

Mariana's POV

"Okay remind me of my schedule for today" I tell my assistant Luna as I am walking to my office.

"You have a meeting with Ashton Leonard at 10:00, lunch with Rachel Pula at 1:00, and a meeting with Rafael Cortez at 3:30."

I stop in my tracks and turn around to face her.

"I thought I made it clear that Cortez was not to be seen until next week."

"Well ma'am you-you did but he threatened to kill me if I didn't move it up to today."

Oh boy.

"So you let a threat lead you to go against your boss' orders? In case you haven't realized, we work with some of the most dangerous people around the world. If you let a threat scare you, you will not make it here."

Before she could respond I walked into my office. I sat in my chair and spun away from my desk to look out into the city. It was 7:00 in the morning here so the streets were crowded with cars and the sidewalk people - all probably on their way to work. That also meant I had under 3 hours to make sure I was prepared for my meeting at 10.

Ring! Ring!

I spun back towards my desk and picked up the phone.

"Good morning this is BlackOps Tech Corporations, how may I help you?"

Laughter rang on the other end. I immediately knew it was Serena.

"You can help me by telling me why Rafael Cortez is scheduled for today? I know you wanted it next week so you could have more time to prepare."

"Don't even get me started on that" I sighed, "I still have to finish his file. All I know is he wants his hands on our latest tracker. Something went down between him and another gang and he lost some members. Guessing that's what he needs it for."

"Hmm probably. Anyway, the new computer geek just walked in. Time to go train him."

"Haha be nice S, see you later."

_______________________________

I was finally done with my meetings with both Leonard and Pula. I had told Luna to cancel her other reports and to finish Cortez's file for me. He is the leader of The Hydras - the most dangerous gang in our country. They have never bought anything from us before so I was excited to get a new client and ally.

Knock! Knock!

"Come in."

"Here's the completed file on Rafael Cortez and The Hydras."

"Thank you" I simply stated. I didn't like being too friendly to my staff because they needed to not only have a backbone but respect me. I couldn't let them try taking advantage of me.

Rafael Cortez, 29 years old. Became leader of The Hydras at 22 years old due to his father's death. His mother disappeared shortly after. Giovanni Keys became his right hand man a year later. Last Wednesday at 5:37 pm, his warehouse downtown was attacked resulting in 4 Hydras dead. Who attacked them is still not clear. He is interested in buying our latest tracker and is willing to start at $70,000 for it.

Following his report were pictures of the tarnished warehouse. It had been blown up into several pieces. I'm surprised more people didn't die.

This wasn't much but it was the best we could do given the shortened time line.

It was now 2:50 and my phone rang. The receptionist let me know that Cortez had entered the building. She sounded terrified.

Ugh.

I was really going to have to teach my staff how to have a confident aura.

I made my way to the meeting room with Luna. Cortez was already there with another man who I assume is Giovani Keys.

"Cortez, Keys, good afternoon."

"Giovanni and Rafael is fine" said Keys. I ignored his comment.

They both had a beard and mustache that connected. However, Cortez had a lighter shade of brown eyes than Keys. They were both well dressed and good looking men, however, one screamed more dominance than the other.

I sat in my usual meeting chair which underneath it had a gun just in case.

Luna sat on my right taking her notepad out right away.

"So Cortez, you're interested in buying our tracker. Why should I partner up with you?"

"Well-" Giovanni started.

"I believe I asked your boss Mr.Keys. Or can he not speak for himself?"

He just glared at me while Rafael smiled ever so slightly. He then cleared his throat.

"Given by the file you have in front of you, Ms.Rivera, I'd say you know exactly why you should partner up with me."

The cocky approach. Got it.

"Why don't you enlighten me?"

A frown took over his face.

"Having the most dangerous gang by your side will guarantee you protection."

"The same way you protected those 4 men who died downtown?"

His jaw flexed as the atmosphere inside the room became cold. Luna stopped writing and was looking back and forth between me and Cortez. Keys was looking at his boss as though he was waiting for the next move.

"Gio, can you leave me and Ms.Rivera alone?" He asked while maintaining eye contact.

"Luna, you can go too" I said. I could have sworn I heard her say "oh thank goodness" under her breath.

Once they were both out the room, he spoke up.

"That is a very dangerous game you are playing."

"I still haven't heard what's in it for me. Mr.Cortez you are offering $70,000 to get my tracker so you can catch the people who killed them correct?"

"Correct. Now, what's in it for you, you ask? How about I don't kill you?"

"I'm sorry that I don't get fazed by your empty threats." I was beginning to grow irritated. He thinks he controls everyone simply because he hasn't put a bullet in their brain.

"Empty huh? Same way you thought you're house was empty and decided to throw a block party? Only to discover your parents were there and someone who sought revenge had killed them?"

Looks like someone did his research as well.

Whenever someone would blame me for the death of my parents I would cry. However, I used that sadness and turned it into ambition. I started up my own technology business all so I could one day create a tracking device. With it, the killer was found. Turned out my parents took drugs from him and never paid him back. He's now in jail serving life.

"Hmm...parents, a touchy subject. Want to blame me for my parents' deaths? Okay. How about your father's? You couldn't protect your father and then caused your mother to run away."

At this his eyes turned cold. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to be able to say that The Hydras have my back. But I don't give away my tracker to just any gang simply for "protection." I can protect myself.

His body then jerked in a weird way and I knew something was about to happen. I grabbed my gun from under my chair and in one swift motion we both stood up and were pointing our guns at each other.

"You really are testing me" he says sharply.

"And so are you" I snap back. "If you want this deal, you're going to have to do a better job at convincing me."

I lowered my gun while walking towards him.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." I stopped walking and just stood next to the table.

"What are you going to do? Shoot me?"

The way his eyes glinted I knew he would. I secretly pressed a button underneath the table that only activated with my fingerprint. An invisible wall was meant to then shoot across. It was something Serena and I had been working on. No one else knew about it yet because it was still in its final stage of being checked. Since I can't see it, let's hope it worked.

He aimed at my leg and shot but it ricocheted off the invisible wall into the wall behind him.

"Great, another hole I have to repair." I rolled my eyes. I was getting tired of bullets flying around in this room. That's why Serena and I created this wall. So that at least I would have more protection.

On the other hand, yes! It worked! Serena was going to be so happy.

I returned my attention to Cortez and he just looked confused.

"Did you forget you're talking to the owner of BlackOps Tech? I've designed everything in this building and have technology that not even the government is aware of."

"I thought you did business with them."

"I do. Doesn't mean they need to know everything."

I pressed my thumb onto the button again turning the wall off. I walked up to Cortez and looked at him in the eye.

"This meeting is over. There is no deal."

I began to walk away when he grabbed my arm.

"I'll give you $100,000 and teach all your employees how to fight. They clearly don't look like they know how to defend themselves in such a dangerous job like this."

He was clearly desperate and it would save me the time from having to teach everyone how to be more confident. Plus I'll get more money.

"I'll think about it and get back to you."

He let go of my arm and I walked outside the room. Keys looked up at me.

"I heard a gunshot. I'm surprised you're alive."

I merely looked at him then looked away and kept walking. I didn't get far before I heard running coming my way and saw a frantic Luna with one of our nurses.

"Ms.Rivera!" she said while trying to control her breathing. She looked past me and then sighed a sigh of relief.

"Oh dear! I heard a gunshot and thought you shot Mr.Cortez! I had brought Nurse Carter just in case."

"Everything is fine. Carter you may return to your floor level."

"I do not get paid enough for this" he said while leaving.

I looked behind me and saw that the two men were still there.

"Luna. Escort them outside please."

She looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Or you're fired."

Her expression changed immediately to determination and with that I left.

I took the stairs one flight down to Serena's level. I liked to work out so I tried to avoid the elevator when possible.

I let myself into Serena's office and let her in on the events that transpired. She kept making comments like:

"Damn girl you are badass!"

"Show him who's boss!"

"YES! So happy our invention works!"

"Haha he deserves to wait for an answer."

It was now 5:00 and I decided to go home earlier than usual so that I could rest.

As I entered my car, I dialed Cortez's number which I retrieved from Luna.

"Hello?"

"Mr.Cortez? This is Ms.Rivera. I'm calling to inform you that I have decided to accept your proposal."

He let out a deep chuckle. Someone is in a better mood.

"But Ms.Rivera I haven't even bought the ring yet. How can you accept my proposal?"

I rolled my eyes and scowled into the phone.

"Meet me tomorrow at 8:00 in the morning to go over the paperwork."

I hung up the phone. Although this deal would be great for business, I could already tell he was going to be a pain in the ass.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 140K 80
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
649K 39K 49
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...
333K 22.2K 36
She was going to marry with her love but just right before getting married(very end moment)she had no other choice and had to marry his childhood acq...
283K 19.5K 18
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...