The New Era

By quixiee_

A massive heatwave has struck killing most of the human population on Earth. Only a strong handful of people... More

Everything before
Struck
Chaos
All but some
Not your Typical days
Their powers
Restoring in Process
A New Life
A Message?
Worth the Risk
Shockwave
Glowing Hunger
Strength and Revenge
Blazing and Ashes
At the Park
Revenge in Red
Potential in her
Her Message
Blazing
Cries
The Hunt
What Lies Outside
A Tale of Two Worlds
The Deal
Guardian of the Second World
A New Method
Disable
A New Friend
Broken
A Loss
A New Plan
Preparation to the Next Destination
Her Choice
The Last

Galloway

10 2 0
By quixiee_

Helen was furious about how Morgan and everyone made those horrid remarks. She was pissed off, and muttered through her breath as she got home. In her eyes, her home was a sanctuary, a shelter. Hiding her from the elements, yes. But also humiliation and those kind of people.

As she arrived home, she quickly rushed to the kitchen, and looked out to her backyard. When she scanned her eyes for what she was looking for, and found it, she felt a leap of joy. She rushed out of the kitchen, out the door and hugged her.

"Galloway," she breathed. She smiled, and brushed her mane. "Oh, Galloway."

Perhaps it would be best if we say who Galloway is particularly. Galloway is a horse, Helen's horse. She is a beautiful breed, her skin is that of a chocolate brown. Her make is black and silky. She's strong and beautiful. What she can truly distinguish from, apart from the other horses, is that she has a beautiful mark on her forehead, like a star. And her hooves, just above little, are white patches.

Galloway neighed silently, as she reached for Helen's band, and nuzzled it.

Back when Helen and her family used to live in the country, her father's main horse, Riley, had given birth. She had given birth to a healthy but fragile foal. Her mother and Helen both came, to see this foal.

Her father was happy for Riley, and he touched her mane and caressed it. Riley went to her offspring, and tried to help her get up. The foal was so scared, and her legs were shaking. She tried to get up, but she collapsed, her legs sprawled on the hay.

Helen father was watching it closely, and then came a little closer to help. Riley went aside, for she knew he was a good man. The foal was scared however, for she never had seen such thing. She only knew her mother. But when she felt his hands, she felt at ease. She looked to her mother, who was making no effort to help, but was watching the man help her get up.

She felt the ground finally, and she tried to take some steps. She stumbled, and sometimes she laid sprawled on the hay. But she kept getting up, and she kept walking. Until she was with her mother, who, seeing her accomplishing something, let her nurse from herself.

Helen's father was proud, and she remembered that he had told her and her mother, that that foal was something. He could see it.

Overtime the foal grew into a young but beautiful horse. Helen's father meant the horse to her, for he gave it to her as a gift.

Helen took the gift in joy, and she named her Galloway. She remembered that name from a book she read when she was six years old, and for some reason, it had stuck with her all those years, up until she was fifteen.

She cared for Galloway. And once Galloway turned into a mare, a full and beautiful adult, only then she felt that they were ready. She took a competition, a horse riding one, and she and Galloway got into fifth place.

It wasn't bad. It was their first competition afterall.

But Galloway and she herself knew somehing, to keep trying. It ran in their blood.

So they did more competitions, until they got into first place. The day they got into first place, her parents were watching, and when they saw their daughter get the gold medal, they burst into tears. Her mother, after she had won, came up to her, tears in her eyes, and hugged her. Her father didn't hug her until her mother was done, but he gently touched Galloway's back.

Soon, one day, her father suggested that they should live in the city. He had a good job suffering, and he thouht it would be good for Helen's future. His wife agreed. And so he sold his property to a nice couple, and they started to pack.

Helen was hesitant, for she never knew how life would be like in the city. She liked living the country life. Experiencing and playing through the tall grass. Checking out the horses, cows, pigs and chickens. And she especially loved feeling the warm and welcoming wind go through her thin braids, and kissing her red cheeks. She didn't know if the city would even offer this.

But most important, she would not leave Galloway.

Her father and mother looked at eachother in concern. They had grown close over the years, what could they expect?

Her father had also made a great sacrifice. Once, a few weeks ago, he and Riley went to go and see someone, who had a great offering for him. As they passed through one of the trails, he noticed his horse panting, and running slowly. They passed throuh the trails and met the man, who gave her father a precious item. He tucked it in his bag, and he and Riley went back home. They took a shortcut, but it was more dangerous. However, he had a feeling they were going to be okay.

He was wrong.

Riley, she was breaking iown, and eventually she broke her leg through the mud. He knew Riley was growing old, but it pained him to see what she was suffering. Home was nearby, but if he and Riley kept going, the conditions would get worse. For a moment he looked at her, and saw her golden, promising eyes.

She knew what he had to do, and she didn't seem to mind. She closed her eyes.

Helen's father put Riley down. He walked through the trek back home, and told his family. Together they went to go get Riley's body, because Helen's father believed she deserved a better place to forever rest in.

Helen would not let that happen to Galloway, she told her parents. She begged, there must be a way for Galloway to come home with her.

Her father sighed, and made an idea.

One the day they moved to the city, he and his wife made their way into the car. Galloway had her reins out on, and Helen easily went on her back. Her father rolled down the window, and told her to follow them as they drove, the city wasn't too far. And the highway wasn't too long.

But Helen was reluctant. She asked him what to do, when they reached the highway.

Her mother felt it was ridiculous, the idea he had in mind, and told him so. She explained it would be better to rent one of those big carts, to put horses in, and trail it to the car.

He agreed.

When the arrived into the city, Helen brought Galloway into the home. Galloway was large but not too large,and so she made her way through the home and into the backyard. However, she did manage to make plenty of messes, which enraged her mother.

But Galloway made it to the backyard, and forever she lived there. Helen and her father, together, made a little home near the corner of the backyard, just for Galloway. And she had been happy ever since.

Helen quickly reached through her pockets, scrounging for a carrot. When she found it, she held it in her palm, inviting Galloway to take a sniff and eat. Galloway did this, and took the carrot in her mithu, chewing it.

Helen gently touched her mane, combing it with her fingers. She told her, "Galloway, girl. We're going to hunt today."

Her eyes perked, and she trotted a little back. She gave a low neigh.

"It's been long, I know," Helen said, remembering the last time they ever went out. Helen was always scared she would do the same to Galloway as had happened to Riley. So she was always cautious about going on adventures. But if she didn't choose to hunt anytime soon, all these ideas wouldn't matter.

They'd be dead anyway.

After the few days, the had past Christmas. That day was a good day for most people, but the feast had to be rationed, and it didn't leave too many people full. It was a day for people to reflect on themselves, and celebrate the holiday with what was left of the people.

After about three more days, the engineers had built the door. Kayla and Serena lead the building (Cole wasn't anywhere to be seen, maybe he had taken a break from the job?) and the engineers followed their lead.

Morgan was pleased, and he showed so. He quickly examine the door, opening it a little bit, and a jet rush of heat swept his face. It wasn't too hit, since it was still winter, but it was an usuals heat for him, so he quickly closed.

"Are you pleased?" Noor asked, smiling.

He nodded, "VERY pleased. Now all you have left is the vents."

The whole team groaned. Some people complained, "But we BARELY get any rest!!"

Noor told them off, "In a world like this, we need to keep working. Or else," she left a pause. Everyone knew what thus pause was for.

When Helen heard about the door being finally built, she felt happy and overjoyed. They could now hunt. She told Galloway it was time, and the horse quickly followed under her lead.

Helen made it easier for Galloway to get from the backyard to the front yard, for she paid some builders to make it for her just last year. Now they could trot to and from adventures easily.

She put on Galloway saddle, which had been alittle dusty. She tried the dust with her palm, and then put on the reins.

For Galloway, it felt weird to be finally wearing this equipment after a long break. She let out her hooves, just incase they needed to be checked.

Helen crouched down, and examined the hooves. They looked fine to her, and so she got up. She sat on the saddle, and put her hands to the reins, griping them. She breathed, "This is it Galloway." Then they trotted through the path, and into the front yard.

"It's time we made comeback," Helen told her. Galloway neighed softly, as if in almost agreement. Then they ran off, to where the crowd and the meeting was held. They were going to help this race, whether the people believed it or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 478 22
The first touch burns. The second will change her life. In the future, humans will never see each other face to face. Technology will facilitate all...
1.5K 210 41
After Earth is ravaged by climate change and the Cataclysm-the largest earthquake in history- humans are struggling to survive. Swathes of unlivable...
832 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
725 100 33
The future is predetermined. It can't be changed. But who casts the future in stone? It's you, me, and every one of us. The iron grip of our fate doe...