HUMANITY'S FAULTS, f. odair

By dvinemuse

her sadness is hidden by the scars that she was given. FINNICK ODAIR © 2020 dvinemuse More

synopsis.
playlist.
epigraph.
act one.
001. the reaping
002. goodbye sister, hello mentor
003. welcome to the palace
004. training and rule breaking
005. ranking and practice
007. the sound of the cannon
008. national anthem
009. call of the wild
010. the cost of the game
011. crazed
012. the fall of an angel
013. a shift in the air
act two.
014. a new era on the rise
015. the announcement of doom
016. back in the mix
017. another parade
018. elevator conversations
019. the new training center
020. an alliance
021. composure
022. starry eyed
023. cherished memories
024. who to trust
025. gift of breath
026. gift of water
027. the next hour
028. miracle water
029. colors
030. tick tock
031. goes the clock
032. jabberjays call
033. beetee's plan
034. lightning tree
035. a warm feeling
act three.
036. aurora borealis

006. interviews

7K 256 14
By dvinemuse

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
six.『 interviews 』

𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐔𝐏 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒. That's what Indie had been calling it at least. She hated the thought of going and working on what Estella reminded her about four times a day if she was lucky. But it was led by Freda and Isaac, who had both refused to let Estella help out with the mini session, much to Indie's approval. But both of the mentors alone were bad, due to the fact that they had made her wear high heels the entire time, walking her walk around until she got it perfect. They made her wear a vest type thing that would keep her back straight no matter what she tried. It was awful. By the end, her feet were hurting and had blisters and her back was sore from being unable to slump down for so long. She had no idea how people in the Capitol survived like this. It was pure human torture. But then again, they did come up with the Hunger Games so was it really a shock?

After that they had gotten to eat lunch (Indie had slouched so much just to get the familiar feeling of being relaxed back that even Stephanie scolded her). After that however it was to see Stephanie and Jasper and Zach, who were all part of the session that she didn't know exactly what to call.

"We just need to make sure you are liked," Jasper explained, "Focus on a specific personality trait that everyone likes about you and play it all on stage. So far we can cross off charming and funny. And traits that you have that would be useful?" He asked playfully and both Stephanie and Indie rolled their eyes at his words, although Zach laughed slightly before covering it up as a cough.

"Ignore them, kid." Stephanie said and looked at Indie. "Although our best bet is to make them feel some sort of sympathy for you—"

"They are sending me to die in Games they watch for their own amusement, I'm pretty sure that they don't have much sympathy for anyone." Indie said, folding her arms across her chest indignantly, raising an eyebrows at the two as she reminded them of what was going on.

"Yes, but," Zach said, "They are from the Capitol, and if there is one thing they have in common it's being dramatic and stories such as those." He explained and continued, "They also all love a tribute with a tragic past who is still trying to get over that past."

"You want me, to act pitiful?"

"Pretty much." Jasper said. "So any sad deaths?"

"Isn't all death sad? Unless it's theirs."

Stephanie sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, seeing that Indie wasn't exactly happy with the whole idea. "Fine, we don't make them feel sorry for you. You aren't confident that you are going to win the games either so confidence is out of the question. There's got to be something that can make them like you."

"Thanks." She muttered sarcastically before they continued on with the little session.

۞

Indie couldn't help but scowl at her reflection in the mirror. Once again she was being dressed by Sona, who had once again come up with a rather beautiful dress, that looked like waterfall to represent the dam that supplied some of the energy for the districts. It rose a little bit in the front, up to her knees before going low in the back, the rest of her body covered except for her arms which were once again sleeveless. The boots she wore were the same color as the cement of the dam and she was once again impressed by Sona, though she wouldn't admit it. It didn't look like the silly power plant costumes that District five normally had.

Sona was busting herself with Indie's outfit, making sure the straps were in the right place, the laces on the high heeled boots laced to perfection, the ties all hanging the same way and were the exact same length. Indie had started to get worried she was too busy with that that she would have to shove make on her all at once, and she'd look like a freaking unicorn.

Finally, Sona moved onto the hair and make up, having decided it was best for her to wear the outfit while doing it so she wouldn't have to worry about her hair and it falling out of the simple French braid that she had preformed. When Indie looked in the mirror she was surprised to see how simple it looked, at so amazing between the silver eyeshadow and eyeliner. But she felt more dressed up then she had ever been in her life.

Sona squealed, leaning over Indie's shoulder that now was hard to do based on the height of the heels she wore. "You look amazing." She said exaggerating the first 'a' and Indie was so busy examining herself that she didn't cringe at the sound of the woman's fake voice that she used half the rule. "I mean, it looks like you've actually had a proper shower." She sniffed before adding, "Smells like it too." She giggles and Indie smiled, shaking her head slightly.

"Thank you, Sona." She said genuinely. It was the first time she had ever said anything genuine to a citizen of the Capitol. "It's amazing."

"Of course it is, everything I do is amazing." Sona declared before taking hold of Indie's hand and pulling her. "Let's go." She sang. "The other tributes are going to be so jealous. I think this is my best work yet. So let's get you out there a maybe you'll get more sponsors."

Over her time in the Capitol she had come to realize that's what It was all about. Sponsors. They could get you just about anything as Stephanie had said. And no matter how much she despised them that would be helpful if she needed a medicine of some sort. Or was dying of hypothermia and needed something to warm her up. As Stephanie said, she could loath them all she wanted, just don't make it known that she did. Indie had watched a few different Hunger Games in her spare time, and each time the victor got help from sponsors while the victims got less. It seemed to be a rule that was unspoken among the victors.

Being a middle district, she didn't have to wait very long. They had them lined up by districts and the girls got to go first, the boy's going second meaning they waited in line until it was their turn. She had seen Sona's down put face when she realized that the others all seemed to be wearing something just as grand and amazing and it was clear she was sad her dress that she had designed wouldn't soak up all the spotlight, but Indie had reassured her it was beautiful.

Sona left leaving Indie alone with the other tributes and Indie was left to stare at the boy from four's back directly in front of her in his dazzling suit. She could hear Caesar Flickerman's voice coming from the stage, and the girl from one, Reverie walked out onto stage, her heels making her look even taller than she was as she put on a charming smile.

Everyone watched the tv screen as they greeted her (she had been rather charming and funny making Indie realized the whole personality thing was true), and once again as it had happened many times before the tributes walked out in order, one by one to talk to the host for three minutes at a time. Nerves had started to creep up on Indie as she waited, and she hated that they were only just coming now. She could've dealt with them in some way before. But in line, minutes away from being called left her without a solution.

Finally, the boy ahead of her — who they had called Vlad — walked out onto stage, waving a hand and smiling  confidently. Three minutes to go. She waited, fidgeting with her fingers as they counted down, and she watched the boy get ready to exit the stage.

Mark leaned forward and whispered into her ear, "Just remember to breath." Before leaning away again, as if it had never happened. She listened to him, sucking in a deep breath before one of the men standing around her beckoned her onstage, and the boy, Vlad, left with a charming wave of his hand.

Slowly she walked out from behind the curtain, eyes immediately flashing to the citizens of the Capitol watching, seeing their laughing faces as lights slightly blinded her from seeing to far out, as it was so dark. They were cheering, and watching her every move enthusiastically and once again she was reminded of how wrong this was. Would they really like her in the end if they heard her true thoughts about their annoyingly discolored faces?

"My my my," Caesar Flickerman said as she cane to a stop, shaking his hand and turning her attention to him instead as though the audience wasn't watching before they took a seat and slowly the talks died down to low whispers. "I must say, you look lovely tonight Miss Marsh."

Taking a deep breath and plastering a fake smile to her face, she said, "Thank you, Caesar. You look rather dashing yourself." She still wanted to throw up at his like green hair, and she was never one to judge, but she listened to her mentors, biting her tongue as she spoke. Just suck up to them for a few weeks and it'd all be over.

"Dashing. Dashing." Caesar repeated the word before saying, "Well I've been called many things but dashing certainly isn't one of them. I like it." Indie repressed a gag as she smiled at him, the crowd letting out a few whistles in praise. "But we aren't here to talk about me so let's talk about you."

"There isn't that much to say," Indie said smiling tightly, "I've led a rather boring life compared to your amazing lives." The comment earned a few laughs from the audience and Indie strained to keep a smile on her face, which was becoming harder do to the fact she wanted to strangle every one of them.

"What about your family?" Caesar suggested and Indie nearly felt her face drop. This had to be the mentors fault. She wasn't to keen on sharing her life story with a bunch of bastards who called themselves good and normal. "How do they feel about you competing in the games."

"My older sister is worried for me, but she believes that I will make it out alive and well." Indie declared keeping her charming facade up.

"And your parents?" He questioned and looking into the crowd, Indie realized that they did love a good sob story, for entertainment.

So clearing her throat she said, "They arent around anymore." There were a few 'awws' from the crowd and sounds of sympathy as she let her face drop slightly, hoping to look like a kicked puppy. She hated whatever person had made these damned questions. "My mother died of disease when I was four, and my father of heartbreak." She let out a rather dramatic sigh before adding on, "But I hardly remember them so, you can't miss someone you don't remember, now can you?" She asked with a pout settling into her lips.

"No," Caesar said in a gentle voice that showed he was clearly acting his sympathy, "You certainly cannot but still, so, so tragic." He let out a sigh before moving on. "One last question, if you don't mind Indigo—"

"Oh, please call me Indie." She interrupted him, a smile once again showing up on her face.

"Alright then Indie, if you win, what do you think you'll do when you get back to District five? The second, you get back."

"Oh that's easy. I'll run up to my sister, and tell her how much I love her and miss her." She said, a true smile showing up at the thought of her sister, and being home with her to never be disturbed again.

Home. That's where she wanted to be.

. . . 𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒊𝒔 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈 . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.8K 1.5K 33
▏everything i want to say, i swallow. ©infxllia ╱ 2023 ...
10.7K 346 10
ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɴɢᴇʀ ɢᴀᴍᴇꜱ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴅᴇꜱᴛʀᴏʏ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴇxᴀᴄᴛʟʏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴏᴏʀ ᴀʟᴇxɪꜱ ʀɪʙʙᴏɴ. [ꜰɪɴɴɪᴄᴋ ᴏᴅᴀɪʀ x ᴏᴄ] ᴘᴜʙʟɪꜱʜᴇᴅ: 05.0...
364K 10.4K 34
❝Sometimes I wish I had died in the arena.❞ ❝It's all in your head. It's all in your head.❞ ❝Love is enduring. Everyday. Always. Because you know it'...
162K 3.6K 43
❝He's in love with another girl. A dead girl. A girl that I murdered five years ago.❞ ― She won her games. They call her the Reaper. The scythe wield...