The Crown Prince's Bodyguard

By Kim_Knights

Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal i... More

1 ♛ The Celestial Flower
2 ♛ The Creature
3 ♛ His Saviour
4 ♛ The Search
5 ♛ An Offer
6 ♛ First Friend
7 ♛ The Guardian
8 ♛ A Hunch
9 ♛ Into the Palace
10 ♛ Acceptance
11 ♛ The First Day
12 ♛ The Royal Family
13 ♛ Training
14 ♛ Caught in the Act
15 ♛ The Princess
16 ♛ The Rogues
17 ♛ The Royal Siblings
18 ♛ An Awkward Situation
19 ♛ A Puzzle
20 ♛ A Troubled Cousin
21 ♛ Drunken Men
22 ♛ A Crisis
23 ♛ Women
24 ♛ Runaway
25 ♛ Suspicion
26 ♛ An Unsteady Heart
27 ♛ The Grand Hall
28 ♛ The Performance
29 ♛ Pandemonium
30 ♛ Growing Feelings
31 ♛ The Awakened Prince
32 ♛ A Truce
34 ♛ The Hill of Death
35 ♛ The Truth
36 ♛ The Monsters in the Darkness
37 ♛ Mayhem
38 ♛ The Escape
39 ♛ The Guardian of the Celestial Flowers
40 ♛ The Mastermind
41 ♛ His Absence
42 ♛ Unforeseen Events
43 ♛ Reunion
Epilogue
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 1)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 2)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 3)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Final)

33 ♛ The Excursion

138K 9.3K 1.1K
By Kim_Knights

- Long'Er -

Hours later, the girls were spying on the Han's residence. They scaled the stone walls, wedging their feet and fingers into the small cracks. Their heads peeked over the top, scouring the courtyard for their target.

However, Minister Han was nowhere in sight.

All they could see was his son playing in the courtyard, running away from the attendants who were trying to catch him. He weaved expertly between their legs, dodging their hands. The more flustered they became, the wider his mischievous grin was.

Still perching on the wall, Li Xue nudged the girl beside her.

"Are you really just going to hide here forever?" she whispered. "You don't wish to walk up to the manor and request to speak to Minister Han in person?"

Long'Er pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. She climbed back down to the ground, sliding down the wall into a crouch. Her face buried in her hands.

"Now that I'm here, I don't think I can do it," she laughed nervously. "No, on second thoughts, I really can't do it."

"Don't be a coward now. I always thought you're more brave than this..." Li Xue mumbled under her breath, disgruntled. She leapt off the wall awkwardly, brushing dirt off her skirt.

Before Long'Er could see it coming, she was being hauled to her feet and dragged towards the entrance of the manor.

"Your Highness? Wait a minute-"

"No, we aren't. I say eighteen years of waiting is enough for you, don't you think?"

Li Xue wasn't wrong. How many times did she imagine herself meeting her father in person? How many times did she yearn for him to hold her hand just like any other father would?

That was if he was willing to accept her. A child from his failed marriage.

She blurted out a question quietly. "If he finds out about me, do you think he will be happy to see me?"

Li Xue grew solemn, uncertainty swirling in her eyes. "I don't know," she admitted, "but which parent wouldn't be happy to know that they have a child to love and care for?"

Those words sank into Long'Er's mind. She followed Li Xue and they hurried up the steps leading towards the manor's entrance. After exchanging a few words with a servant, a pall of disappointment hung over them like a shroud.

"I can't believe we're having such terrible luck today," Li Xue lamented. "Of all the days, he's out on a work trip."

"It can't be helped," Long'Er murmured sombrely. "Maybe we should come back another time."

As much as she didn't want to leave after all their efforts of sneaking out of the palace, they didn't have much of a choice. Perhaps this was fate's way of telling them that it wasn't the right time to see him.

They left the manor. Trudging past rows of huts and heading into the bustling market. As they chatted, men kept staring at them, especially at Long'Er. Awkwardness trickled through her. She shuffled her feet awkwardly, glancing down at her unusual appearance.

A lavish, red dress hugged her body, embellished with lotus flowers and a swan. It was beautiful, but it didn't belong to her. It was the princess's. Her hair twirled into a bun and sat on the back of her head, adorned with a few hair ornaments. Gone was the mask that she usually wore, because Li Xue had stolen it and discarded it aside. Insisting that it was a shame to conceal her bare face behind a mask.

"I can't believe I let you convince me to wear a dress out of the palace. A conspicuous one at that," she sighed. "What if we're caught?"

"Relax, little bumpkin." Li Xue hooked an arm around Long'Er's and walked with a spring in her steps. "It's easier for me to walk around like this instead of with a man. And you look much prettier this way. Now that we've some time for ourselves, we should go shopping before returning home!"

"I knew it," Long'Er grumbled under her breath. "I knew that you were using me as an excuse to leave the palace."

Li Xue chose to ignore this by humming to herself.

They patronised most of the shops on Jinli Street. Li Xue got carried away as she browsed through a wide selection of clothes, makeup and shoes that it was hard to keep up with her pace. It was rare for her to have a companion, much less a girl, to keep her company during her shopping. She was so excited that she kept asking for opinions, tugging on Long'Er's sleeves again and again.

Likewise, it was also the first time for the latter to spend her time leisurely with a girl around her age and engage in such feminine activities. In the past, she only had her godmother by her side and now, she had friends.

She smiled to herself.

Even if Li Xue was a spoiled princess, it was nice to have such a spirited friend like her.

When the princess purchased two pairs of shoes and a couple of hair accessories, Long'Er couldn't stop herself from nagging at the girl.

"Your Highness, I know that your family is very rich, but you shouldn't be spending money this recklessly," she berated her. And yet, her words fell on deaf ears as Li Xue skipped ahead.

"Huh, what did you say? I can't hear you at all! Oh look at that!"

She skipped ahead and stopped at one of the stalls. "I think this hairpin would suit you well, Long'Er. Don't you agree?"

Long'Er crossed her arms with a knowing look, shaking her head. "I know what you're trying to do but that tactic of yours won't work on me."

"Hm, is that right?" Li Xue mused, her playful eyes wandering across the colourful array of accessories. She picked up a thin, blue veil and held it beside Long'Er's face. "How about this? Look, it has a small, white swan sewn on the corner. It's quite pretty, isn't it?"

However, the latter let out a sigh. "Enough, Your Highness. I say it's time for us to head back to the palace."

"No! I'm not done exploring yet!"

"You do remember what happened the last time we stayed outside of the palace for too long, right?"

Silence fell upon Li Xue. Her forehead pinched together and her lips pursed to form a dissatisfied frown.

"Fine!" She agreed reluctantly. "But I've to drop by the bookstore first before we head back. Deal?"

Long'Er nodded. It was difficult to compromise with the princess but if this was what they could agree on, she would gladly take it. She watched as Li Xue frisked her way through the crowd and into the bookstore that they had previously gone to, running her fingers across the edges of bookshelves. The owner emerged from the back of the store and upon seeing his regular customer, a large grin split his face. They spoke among themselves excitedly; with him introducing the popular books to Li Xue.

Long'Er lingered by the entrance, staying far away from the books because she didn't want a repeat of what had happened the last time. She didn't wish to know what kind of indecent content was written in it. It was mortifying.

As she wrinkled her nose at those books, the unexpected happened.

A prick on the back of her neck was felt, sending a numbing sensation through her body. Her eyes remained open but the strength in her was dissipating fast. Her legs went limp and she felt herself crumpling to the floor, but not before someone hooked an arm around her waist and held her upright. A tall, unfamiliar man dressed in an oversized brown cloak. His sword latched on his belt right by his waist.

She couldn't move or open her mouth to scream.

Without making a noise, he steered her smoothly out of the store and they blended among the passing crowd. To anyone, it might seem like he was supporting her like she was his lover. One hand on her waist, the other on her shoulder.

"Long'Er?"

A voice came from somewhere behind them — one that most definitely sounded like the princess.

Even if Long'Er didn't have eyes at the back of her head, she could imagine Li Xue emerging from the bookstore and calling out her name several times. The fear in her eyes would intensify as she searched her surroundings, scanning the faces of the people walking past her.

I'm right here, Your Highness! Over here!

Look at me!

Seconds passed, and Long'Er's hope was soon dashed. Li Xue's voice grew smaller, until it completely faded when she and her kidnapper slunk into a dark, narrow alley, away from the public's eyes.

***

- Li Xun -

The Celestial Flower worked wonders.

The poison corrupting his veins was completely nullified. After a day of sleeping, Li Xun regained his vigour and found himself well enough to take a stroll in the courtyard.

Half an hour ago, he tried to locate Long'Er but was informed by the servants that his sister had taken the girl with her. They left the palace, saying that they were visiting a nearby temple.

Exactly how much truth this held, was another matter.

Because Li Xue was never a religious person.

He decided to await their return. Having left things off on a wrong foot, Li Xun could only hope that he hadn't scared Long'Er off with his imprudent act. It was wrong of him to force himself on her, but how could he stop his hallucination from acting on his subconscious feelings?

He fancied her, he realised.

But then again, what was there not to like about her?

She was strong, smart and kind. Even if he had never seen her real face before, beauty shone from her heart. Never once did she demand for rewards after the times she saved people. She made Li Xun comfortable till the extent he would forget that he was a prince.

He was drawn to her like the ocean to the moon.

And a part of him was glad she turned out to be a woman–

A sudden arrow flew through the air, striking the wooden pillar beside him. The guards that constantly followed him were alarmed, immediately shielding Li Xun just in case another arrow came flying again. Ling Yao barked an order and a couple of men rushed off in search of the culprit, but the man had vanished without a trace.

It seemed like his intention wasn't to kill the prince.

Narrowing his eyes at the wooden pillar, Li Xun removed the arrow and read the small note that was attached to it.

Come to the Hill of Death alone.

Otherwise, she dies.

The second line infuriated him. His eyes flared as he crushed the note in his hand. The audacity of this person to kidnap his sister! Whoever did this was courting an early death, one which he would gladly give with his bare hands.

His jaw clenched tightly. "Get me a horse and my sword," he ordered his men.

He marched off to the palace gate quickly, seething with rage. He was going to catch the culprit and rip off his limbs for abducting his family member. However, just as he reached the gate, he was attacked by a petite frame.

When he realised that it was just Li Xue, a huge relief was lifted off his constricted chest.

So she wasn't kidnapped after all.

But who was the person the note was referring to?

Seeing how his sobbing sister hugged him and buried her face in his chest, he brought his arms around her. Patting her back soothingly. It had been a long time since she ran to his embrace like this, and it only happened on days when she was incredibly upset.

She was trembling in his arms. "I lost Long'Er again! I didn't mean to wander too far. When I turned around, she wasn't there anymore. Brother, what do we do now?"

Li Xun's eyes widened at this news. As much as he would love to go after Long'Er immediately, he decided to calm his sister down first.

"I'll get Long'Er back, I promise."

But his words only made her sob harder. "What do we do? A girl like her getting abducted... What if someone takes advantage of her? What if–" She hiccuped and looked up at him with a tear-streaked face, but soon realised that she made a grave mistake.

And yet, he didn't look startled like she thought he would be.

Understanding set in. "You knew?" Li Xue gasped in surprise, searching his eyes for an answer. "You're aware that she's a girl? Since when? You knew, but you didn't tell me?!"

Instead of answering, a brief smile dancing on his lips was all it took to answer her question.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.2K 1.5K 45
A human girl goes to the world of dragons, fairies, and demons. Her heart is merged with the villain Dongfang Qingcang, the strongest and most feared...
579 12 8
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets reincarnated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you've...
948 41 25
• 𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒐𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒆, 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒎 𝒐𝒏 𝒎...
54.7K 3.2K 58
A child's deception leads to a life of adventure...and the unraveling of a heavenly mystery. All little An-Xia wanted was to learn sword-play, but t...