๐’๐”๐๐’๐‡๐ˆ๐๐„! per...

By braekerofchains

๐‘บ๐‘ผ๐‘ต๐‘บ๐‘ฏ๐‘ฐ๐‘ต๐‘ฌ โ all right, Sunshine, brighten up โž โ I will hit you โž ... More

DISCLAMER
Introduction
spotify playlists
graphics!
PART ONE โ†’ the lightning thief
o. Prologue
i. The Minotaur
ii. Percy Jackson
iii. Light's Kin
iv. Capture The Flag
v. A War Of The Gods
vi. Fury On A Greyhound
vii. Red Baron
viii. Mother Dearest
ix. Sonny The Chihuahua
x. The Fall
A/N
xi. The Tunnel Of Love
xii. Lotus Casino
xiii. A-Tisket, A-Tasket
xiv. Dead On Arrival
xv. The Truth
xvi . The Sea Does Not Bow
xvii. Family, Luke
PART TWO โ†’ the sea of monsters
10K??
xviii. Haunting Of The Past
xix . Chariot Of Damnation
xx . Tantalus
[ sobbing ]
xxi . Claire Moore
Q/A??
ANSWERS
xxii . Jason And The Argonauts
xxiii . Run Boy, Run
xxiv . Family, Luke
xxv . Too Close To Home
xxvi . Not All Monster's Are Bad
xxvii . Circe's Island
DOOOODS
xxviii . Fatal Flaw
xxix . The Cyclops Den
xxxi . The Light's Kin
Epilogue
SEQUEL!!
TRANSLATION!!

xxx . The Golden Fleece

9K 462 484
By braekerofchains

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xxx.
( sea of monsters )
❝ the golden fleece! ❞

╚═══════════════╝

I WOKE UP TO A CURIOUS ONE-EYED CYCLOPS. I couldn't stop myself from screaming and scrambling backwards. Someone stopped me and wrapped their arms around my shoulders. "Hey, hey, hey, Claire! It's okay! It's okay, you're okay! It's Tyson!"

I recognised Percy's voice. "Tyson?" Everything hurt, and even my vision wasn't the best. I think I was seeing multiples.

"Hello?" waved the Cyclops that had scared me. My vision began to return, and I noticed some familiar features. His messy brown curls and his freckled nose, as well as his one, great big sea-green eye.

I didn't believe it at first. I stared at him for a few seconds, trying to think back. I don't remember Tyson coming back ... he died ... on the ship ... but he was back?

"You're back ...?" I breathed, frowning.

"He survived the blast," Percy grinned. "You were right, Claire! The fire didn't affect him! He saved us from Polyphemus! He did it!"

I couldn't think straight. Everything still hurt ... my back, my head—I had a killer headache—my arms ... I just wanted to sleep. My eyes fluttered close, but Percy shook me slightly. "Hey, hey, you gotta stay awake."

"I don't want to..." I muttered.

"Well, you don't have a choice, Claire, cause I won't let you."

I felt like crying. "Where's ..." suddenly, everything hit me. "Annabeth!" I jumped into a sitting position. Everyone else backed away, startled by my sudden movements. "Is she okay? Is Annabeth okay? She ... he ... Polyphemus ... he ..."

My voice trailed off when I saw her. Knelt next to Tyson, Annabeth looked drained. Her face was pale, her grey eyes dull, but she managed a smile. I noticed she wore a new coat—and then I realised it was the Fleece. I rushed forward out of Percy's grip and wrapped my arms around her. "I'm sorry!" I sobbed into her shoulder. "I'm sorry I make everything about myself. I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I promise I'll never make anything about myself ever again! I'll be the most selfless person there is!"

It was then I notice Annabeth wince and cry out and I gasp, "Oh! I'm so sorry! What's wrong? What's wrong, that's a stupid question... where does it hurt?"

"It's okay," Annabeth managed to chuckle. She looked tearful. "I'm sorry I said all those things Claire, you're not all of that. You're not selfish."

"Yeah, I am," I frown. "I completely ignored how you must've felt in all of this..."

She shook her head, "No you didn't. You tried to be there for me, and I pushed you away."

"I pushed you away, too."

"Well, then, we'll have a pact," smiled Annabeth and held out her pinky. "I swear on the River of Styx that I, Annabeth Chase, will always be there for my best friend—my sister—Claire Moore until as long as I live."

I grinned and locked my pinky with hers. "I swear on the River of Styx that I, Claire Moore, will always be there for my best friend—my sister—Annabeth Chase until as long as I live."

Thunder crackled above, but it was rather comforting instead of intimidating. I heard Grover behind us stifle a sniffle.

"That's cute and all," Clarisse—who I hadn't even realised was there until now—grumbled. "But we have to get out of here."

"She's right," said Percy. I never thought I'd see the two of them agree over something, but here I was. "We have to get back ... our ship ..."

The Queen Anne's Revenge was too far for us to get there with Annabeth and I still injured. The shortest route was across the chasm, but when I looked over, the bridge had been destroyed. The only other possibility was through the sheep.

Percy looked as though he had an idea. "Tyson," he turned to the Cyclops, "can you lead the flock as far away as possible?"

Tyson looked dumbfounded, "The sheep want food."

"I know! They want people food! Just lead them away from the path. Give us time to get to the beach. Then join us there."

He still looked unsure, but Tyson stood up and started to make his way down the path. Before he left, I reached out and grabbed his arm. Tyson stiffened, surprised that I would make such a gesture. He looked down at me with his one big confused eye, and I found myself smiling. "I'm glad you're back, Tyson," I say.

I thought Tyson would start blubbering right then and there. But Percy reminded him, "Sheep, Tyson," and he continued on, running down the path and into the great big white flock.

He whistled, "Come, sheepies! Um, people food this way!" and he jogged off towards the meadow, the flock following him. Wow, okay.

"Keep the Fleece around you," Percy turned to Annabeth. "Just in case you're not fully healed yet. Can you stand?"

She tried, but her face turned pale again. "Ohhh. Not fully healed."

I frowned and leaned forward to feel her chest, which made Annabeth gasp. "Her ribs are broken," I say, looking up at everyone else. "Hang on ... give me a sec..."

"What are you going to do?" Percy asked me but I ignored him and closed my eyes.

Hey, Dad ... I prayed. I know we're kinda rocky at the moment, but ... you helped me save Percy, can you help me heal Annabeth too?

I didn't need to wait this time. I felt warmth spread through my fingers and I grinned when the gold wrapped around Annabeth's chest. She winced again, but the colour returned to her face. Grover watched in awe.

"You have healing powers?!" He gasped in delight.

I gave him a look, but didn't say anything. "Annabeth, keep the Fleece on still. I healed your ribs but not everything else. Clarisse, can you carry her?"

Annabeth seemed rather upset that she'd have to be carried, but she couldn't fight against Clarisse who pulled her up like a sack of flour and lugged her down the beach.

Percy arched a brow at me, "Since when could you do that?"

I found myself going a little red ... probably from exhaustion ... "Since you almost died on us after the explosion."

His ears went pink and he scratched them, "Right ... um ... are you okay? Can you walk?"

I shook my head. I felt like a sack of potatoes. My head was heavy and so was my chest and my legs—and arms. My back ached, and it was hard to move. I had just been invisible for longer than I had ever been before, and I healed Annabeth—that was tiring!

Percy nodded and crouched down to help me up. I hated that I was leaning against him the whole trip down, but there wasn't much else I could do. Grover tagged along behind us, quite happy that he was no longer in a wedding dress.

As soon as we got to the shore, Percy closed his eyes and willed the Queen Anne's Revenge to release her anchor and rise her sails so she could make her way towards us. After a few anxious minutes, she appeared, rounding around the tip of the island.

"Incoming!" yelled Tyson. He bounded down the slope, the sheep still fifty metres behind, bleating in frustration that he hadn't fed them.

"They probably won't follow us into the water," Percy reassured us. "All we have to do is swim for the ship."

I stared at him, scared. He gripped me tighter, letting me know that no matter what, he won't let go.

Clarisse pursed her lips, "With Annabeth and Claire like this?"

"We can do it," he insisted. He said it with so much confidence that I found myself believing him. "Once we get to the ship, we're home free."

We almost made it too.

Only just wading past the entrance to the ravine, a tremendous roar shook the water. Percy spun around, and there was Polyphemus—scraped up and bruised, but still very much alive—his baby-blue wedding outfit in tatters, splashing towards us with a boulder in each hand.

"You'd think he'd run out of rocks," Percy muttered.

"Swim for it!" Grover cried.

"Grover!" he called, and the satyr swam over. "Take Claire, get her to the ship!"

"Wait—no—" I tried to protest as he passed me over. Grover smelt like wet dog—well, wet goat. "You can't—what are you going to do?!"

He turned to where Polyphemus was thrashing through the waves. "No," I told him simply. But there was nothing I could do. Grover made me wrap my arms around his neck and shoulders and he swam. I tried to help, but my attention was focused on Percy and Tyson who were facing Polyphemus by themselves.

"We have to help them!" I shouted at Grover.

"What can we do?" he replied. "I'm a satyr and you've completely exhausted yourself! The best all of us can do is get to the ship!"

He was right. I hated it, but he was right.

As Clarisse and Grover swam with Annabeth and I clinging to their backs, desperately trying to help, behind us was a rampage.

Percy had willed the sea to rise. I watched with wide eyes as a six-metre wave surged up, lifting him onto its crest. He rode it towards Polyphemus like a prince riding his steed into battle. Prince of the Sea, I thought. He kicked him straight in the eye, leaping over his head as the water blasted him onto the beach.

"Destroy you!" I heard Polyphemus splutter. "Fleece stealer!"

"You stole the Fleece!" Percy yelled. "You've been using it to lure satyrs to their deaths!"

"So? Satyrs are good eating!

"The Fleece should be used to heal! It belongs to the children of the gods!"

"I am a child of the gods!" Polyphemus swiped at Percy, but he sidestepped. "Father Poseidon, curse this thief!"

"Poseidon won't curse me," said Percy. "I'm his son, too. He won't play favourites."

We were at the ship now. Clarisse helped Annabeth aboard the ship, and soon Grover was pushing me up as well with Clarisse holding out a hand for me to grab and when I did, she pulled me up onto the deck. I rolled towards Annabeth, reaching for her hand and clutching onto it with all my might as we sat up together, watching as Percy and Tyson continued to fight Polyphemus. Grover joined us last, and Clarisse waved frantically at the other two, telling them to come on!

Tyson worked his way around Polyphemus, trying to get behind him

"Young one!" the older Cyclops called. "Where are you? Help me!"

Tyson stopped. I gripped Annabeth's hand tighter.

"You weren't raised right!" Polyphemus wailed, shaking his olive tree club. "Poor orphaned brother! Help me!"

No one moved. My breath hitched ... and then Tyson stepped forward, raising his hands defensively. "Don't fight, Cyclops brother. Put down the--"

Polyphemus spun towards his voice.

"TYSON!" Percy shouted.

"NO!" I managed.

The tree struck him with such force it would've flatten anyone who wasn't a Cyclops. Tyson flew backwards and into the sand. Polyphemus charged after him, but Percy shouted, "No!" and lunged as far as he could. Riptide jabbed the back of ... well ... it was a bit higher than Polyphemus's thigh.

"Blaaaaah!" the Cyclops swung at Percy with his tree.

Percy dived, but he got raked across the back by a dozen of ragged branches. I squeezed Annabeth's hand and she shuffled closer, the two of us fearing for our best friend as he stumbled slightly. Polyphemus swung the tree again, but this time he was ready. He grabbed the branch as it passed and he was jerked upwards. Percy flew up in a huge arch, and at the tip, he let go. He fell, landing on two feet on Polyphemus's eye.

The monster yowled in pain. Tyson tackled him, pulling him down. Percy landed next to him--sword in hand, within striking distance of the monsters heart. For a second, I thought he would land the blow, but he didn't. He stepped back and turned to Tyson. I couldn't hear what they said, but Tyson pushed Polyphemus even further away and the two of them started sprinting towards the surf.

"I'll smash you!" Polyphemus yelled, doubling over in pain. His enormous hands cupped over his eye.

Tyson and Percy plunged into the water.

"Where are you?" the Cyclops screamed. He picked up his tree club and threw it into the water. It missed Percy and Tyson by an inch.

Percy summoned a current, and the two of them pushed through the waves, getting closer and closer to the ship. Close enough for us to get away.

And then Clarisse had to open her big mouth, "Yeah, Jackson!" she shouted. "In your face, Cyclops!"

"Clarisse!" I hissed.

Polyphemus threw a boulder towards the sound of Clarisse's voice, but it fell short, narrowly missing Percy and Tyson.

"Yeah, yeah!" the daughter of Ares taunted. "You throw like a wimp! Teach you to try marrying me, you idiot!"

"Clarisse!" Percy yelled. "Shut up!"

It was too late. Polyphemus threw another boulder, and this time it hit, crashing through the hull of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

The ship sank fast. It creaked and groaned and listed forward like it was going down a playground slide. Annabeth and I slid, screaming for help. Grover rushed towards us, reaching out his hand while Clarisse fell, tumbling over board.

Soon, water enveloped us like an unwelcome hug. Suffocating and pushing against my body. My back seared and my ears were getting heavier and heavier by all the water rushing around. I think a piece of wood hit me, and I was thrown upside down, drifting to the side. I saw Annabeth trying to swim, but the Fleece was dragging her down. I reached out for her, praying to every god that we would survive this.

But I had a feeling we wouldn't.

As a last desperate thought, I tried to call out: "Percy...!" which was a stupid idea, because water rushed into my mouth and into my lungs. I coughed--which did not help. My lungs screamed. I was sinking ... sinking ...

And then I was rising.

Something scaly and hard was suddenly pulling me up. By instinct, I reached and wrapped my arms around it's thick neck--and then I realised. It was a hippocampus!

We burst through the water and up into the surface. I let out a strangled gasp of air, coughing out all the water that had made its way down my throat in a clear vomit to the side. Around me, more Hippocampi were rising to the surface, carrying Clarisse, Annabeth and Grover.

The Hippocampus that carried me pushed through the current to where Percy was, and I helped him get on. Behind me, I could hear Polyphemus crying out in triumph. "I did it! I finally sank Nobody!"

I hope he doesn't figure out he was wrong.

"Hey," Percy whispered as we skimmed across the sea, the island shrinking to a dot behind us. "Claire..."

I glance over my shoulder to meet his sea-green eyes. I don't like the ocean—but the ocean that was his eyes made me feel safe. "Mmmh?"

"You're idea ... the sheep ... that was genius."

I suddenly felt hot. "I ... it was really nothing ... Annabeth did everything, really ..."

Together, we glanced to the side where our friend was slumped against her Hippocampus, fast asleep with Grover using the Fleece on her back as a pillow to sleep as well. I frowned, "I was so scared that ... that he had gotten her ... that I couldn't save her ..."

"But he didn't," Percy said. "It's okay, she's fine now, we're all fine now. We're gonna get back to camp and we're gonna save Thalia. You should sleep, it's a long trip back to Long Island—or wherever we'll end up at."

I managed a breathy chuckle. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught the sight of Annabeth and Grover, and Clarisse and Tyson beside them. They were all asleep out of exhaustion. I was exhausted too, but I couldn't find myself to close my eyes. Instead, all I could focus on was how much my heart swelled at the sight of all of them. These were my friends, my family. I loved these guys with everything I had.

And Percy ... I met his gaze again. Being lost in his ocean eyes wasn't bad, it was comforting. I did something—I don't know why, but I did it, and I couldn't stop myself, really. It was spur-of-the-moment-never-to-happen-again, but I leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek.

My cheeks were warmer than the fires of Hephaestus's Forges, and Percy himself was a blubbering mess. I could've fried an egg on his face.

"Everyone says the purpose of my powers is to die," I say softly—but there was an awkward tone to my voice, and I played with my fingers. "But ... they're all wrong ... my purpose, it's ... it's ..." I smile, "It's doing this, with you guys ... helping and protecting and saving those who need it most. Protecting you guys ... my family... You guys are my family."

We fell asleep after that, together, and I've never felt more content.

*

"GUYS, WAKE UP."

Someone splashed salt water in my face. I jumped, banging the back of my head against Percy's chin which had been settling there. "Ow!"

Percy woke up groggily, frowning and rubbing his chin as if he was very confused as to why there was pain there. "What ... what ... ow ...?"

Annabeth crossed her arms and sighed at us. She frowned. The Fleece that had been around her shoulders had morphed into a gold letter-man jacket with a great big gold Omega.

In the distance, the sun was setting behind the city skyline. I recognsied it immediately. My body went cold. We were near the beachside highway, lined with palm trees and storefronts glowing with red-and-blue neon and a harbour filled with sailboats and cruise ships.

"What's up?" Percy asked me, and I took a shaky breath.

"We're in Miami." I said, trying to push down my fear. I felt that cold again, that cold in that alley way all those years ago. I heard—distantly—the voice of my child self, calling out for my mother.

Annabeth reached forward and grabbed my hand. I was grateful for that. Percy frowned but looked away, instead focusing on the Hippocampi who were sneezing and shaking their heads in annoyance. "They can't stay here," he told us. "Too much pollution, too many humans. You can go, guys, it's okay."

They neighed what I could easily tell was a thanks. Tyson cried a little, hugging Rainbow and giving him a soggy mango he'd picked up on the island and said goodbye. Once the hippocampi's white manes disappeared into the sea, we all faced Miami in front of us.

Now that we were back among mortals, Tyson's eye blurred in the mist, and Grover placed his cap back on and sneakers. Dragging me along, Annabeth ran to the nearest newspaper box and checked the date on Miami Herald. She cursed. "June eighteenth! We've been away from camp ten days!"

My heart dropped.

"That's impossible!" Clarisse said.

It wasn't. Time travelled differently in monstrous places.

"Thalia's tree was be almost dead," Grover wailed. "We have to get the Fleece back tonight."

I watched as Clarisse slumped down on the pavement. "How are we supposed to do that?" her voice trembled. "We're hundreds of miles away. No money. No ride. This is just like the Oracle said. It's your fault, Jackson! If you hadn't interfered—"

"Percy's fault?!" Annabeth exploded. "Clarisse, how can you say that? You are the biggest—"

"Stop it!" Percy snapped.

Clarisse put her head in her hands. Annabeth stomped her foot in frustration.

Percy took a gentle step forward, "Clarisse," he said softly, "what did the Oracle tell you exactly?"

She looked up. For a second, I thought she'd tell him off, but instead she took a deep breath and recited:

"You shall sail the iron ship with warriors of bone,
You shall find what you seek and make it your own,
But despair for your life entombed within stone,
And fail without friends, to fly home alone."

"Ouch," Grover mumbled.

"No," Percy shook his head. "No ... wait a minute. I've got it."

He searched his pockets, but cursed when he found nothing. "Does anybody have any cash?"

Annabeth, Grover and I all shook our heads. Clarisse pulled out a wet Confederate dollar from her pocket and sighed.

"Cash?" Tyson asked hesitantly. "Like ... green paper?"

Percy looked at him. "Yeah."

"Like the kind in duffel bags?"

"Yeah, but we lost those bags days a-g-g—"

He stuttered to a halt as Tyson rummaged in his saddle pack he had built for Rainbow and pulled out an airtight bag full of cash that Hermes had included in our supplies. "T-Tyson!" Percy let out. "How did you—?"

"Thought it was a feed bag for Rainbow," he said. "Found it floating in the sea, but only paper inside. Sorry."

He handed him the cash. Fives and tens, at least three hundred dollars. He ran to a kerb and grabbed a taxi that was just letting out a family of cruise passengers. "Clarisse," he yelled. "Come on. You're going to the airport. Annabeth, give her the Fleece."

For a moment, I was stunned. Percy took the Fleece letter jacket form Annabeth, tucked the cash into its pocket and put in Clarisse's arms.

She stumbled on her words, "Y-You'd let me—?"

"It's your quest," he said. "We only have enough money for one flight. Besides, I can't travel by air. Zeus would blast me into a million pieces. That's what the prophecy meant: you'd fail without friends, meaning you'd need our help, but you have to fly home alone. You have to get the Fleece back safely."

I found myself smiling at him. Clarisse looked happier than any other time I've seen her. She glanced down at the jacket, before she took a deep breath and jumped into the cab. "You can count on me," she said strongly. "I won't fail."

"Not failing would be good."

The cab peeled out in a cloud of exhaust. I bit my lip to try and hide how big my smile was.

"Percy," Annabeth began, "That was so—"

"Generous?" Grover offered.

"Insane," she corrected. "You're betting the lives of everybody at camp that Clarisse will get the Fleece safely back by tonight?"

"It's her quest," he said. "She deserves a chance."

"Percy is nice," Tyson said.

"Percy is too nice," Annabeth grumbled.

Realising I hadn't said anything, Percy glanced over to check how I felt. When he saw that I was smiling, he went red. "Come on," he went on. "Let's find another way home."

He turned around, ready to lead us back to the ocean when he was met with a sword's point at his throat.

"Hey, cuz," said Luke. "Welcome back to the States."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.6K 3.5K 47
"we can be heroes, just for one day." [ som (completed) - ttc ] [ percy jackson x oc ] book one of the CELESTIAL! series BASED ON the pjo series by...
15.4K 835 16
๐“…ซ ๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“๐Œ๐€๐‘๐„ ๐…๐”๐„๐‹.(inf) Something capable of inducing nightmares, highly disturbing. โ She walked with darkness dripping off her shou...
57.7K 2.2K 27
โ come on, come on, don't leave me like this i thought i had you figured out โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ two demigods, both forbidden in many different ways, f...
5.2K 205 7
ห‹ยฐโ€ข*โ€เผบ โ”ƒ Lush ! ๐Ÿƒ *เณƒเผ„ ใ€Œ luke c. ! ใ€ โ› I THINK MY BRAIN IS ROTTING IN PLACES, I THINK MY HEART IS READY TO DIE โœ PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS...