The Great War of Remnant (Boo...

By Cmonkey512

August 6,1916: the British prepare for an assault on the German trenches. For aristocracy born John Fish, it'... More

Introduction
For King and Country
Strange new find
New World
Vale
Welcome to Beacon
Initiation
Allies
Your choice
Winner
Aura and Revelation
Pawns of war (Edited)
Question (not a chapter)
Whoops! (Again, not a chapter)
Sneak peak
Ports to the Somme
Grimm reminders
Lies
Fall
Here kitty-kitty
Shock
Back
What is real
The Western Front
Wayfaring strangers
One last thing
Ok, this is the last thing, I swear

Meetings

4.1K 58 270
By Cmonkey512

John POV

We step off the ship and are amazed at the sight. A giant tower with green glowing orbs at the top. It strangely reminds me of Big Ben clock tower in London. Ruby is staring at it with stars in her eyes.

Yang: View of Vale has got nothing on this.

A student passes by and Ruby starts to get excited.

Ruby: HO! That kid's got a collapsible staff! And she's got a fire sword!

She began to follow one of the students until Yang grabs her by the hood.

Yang: Easy there, little sister. Their just weapons.
Ruby: Just weapons?! Their extension of ourselves. Their a part of us! Oh, their so cool.

That's an... interesting way of looking at it. It's not how I view them. The things I've done with my guns (Inuendo not intended)... give the chance, I will destroy them anyway possible. But maybe the whole weapon thing is part of this world's culture. If I'm posing as person from this Oscuro place, best to roll with it.

Yang: Well, why can't you swoon over your own weapon? Aren't you happy with it?

Ruby takes out her scythe, for some reason.

Ruby: Of course I'm happy with Cresent Rose. I just really like seeing new ones. It's like meeting new people, but better.

She named her scythe Crescent Rose? Weapons must play a pivotal part of this world's culture. Yang pulls Ruby's hood over her eyes.

Yang: Ruby, come on. Why don't you go try making some friends of your own. I mean you kind of already did it with John here.
Me: Well that was under one of the most odd circumstances possible.
Ruby: I guess. But why I need friends when I have you?

I'd make a remark until I consider a pro to this: there'd be less for her to lose if conflict breaks out. Suddenly a random crowd appears out of no where. And Yang decides to join them.

Yang: Well, actually, my friends are here now, we're gonna catch up, ok bye.

Ruby starts spinning around.

Ruby: Wait, are we supposed to go to our dorms? Where are our Dorms? Do we have dorms? I don't know what I'm doing.

She falls into a luggage cart and scatters some bags. There's a crate that opens and vials filled with what I assume to be powdered dust. The owner of said luggage turns around and is not happy.

Girl: What are you doing?!

Ruby gets up with a slight blush from embarrassment.

Ruby: Sorry!
Girl: Sorry?! Do you have any idea the damage you could've caused?! Give me that!

She takes a crate from Ruby and holds a red dust vial.

Girl: This is dust! Mined and purified from the Schnee quarry.

Ruby has a somewhat blank expression. She knows dust has to be mind and, apparently, purified. But the company name must be unfamiliar to her. The girl, however doesn't seem to catch on to this.

Girl: What are you, brain dead? Dust! Fire, water, lightning, energy!

Let's see. Luggage cart carried by a well dressed man, fancy clothes, has knowledge of a big business name, is clearly educated, and has a 'Don't you know who I am' attitude. All signs of aristocracy. And I should know, given that I'm an aristocrat myself. As she's talking, she's shaking the vial. I can see some dust coming out of it.

Girl: Are you even listening? Is any of this sinking in? What do you have to say for yourself?!

Ruby sneezes and explosion goes off. I can see some ice and lightning. Something about the explosion makes my head throb a little. My ears start to ring, but I can faintly hear a voice.

Voice: FÜR DAS DEUTSCHE REICH!!! (Translation: for the German empire)

That was German. But it couldn't have been. I'm on another world. Maybe this world has a similar language, and someone was just surprised because of the explosion.

Girl: UNBELIEVABLE! This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about!
Ruby: I'm really, really sorry!
Girl: Ugh! You complete dolt! What are you even doing here? Aren't you a little young to be attending beacon?
Ruby: I-I...
Girl: This isn't your ordinary combat school! It's not just sparring and practice, you know. We're here to fight monsters-

What monsters are these people referring to?

Girl:- So watch where you're going!

Alright, this girls really getting on my bloody nerves.

Me: Oi! She said she was sorry princess!

The girl looks at me like I offended her. If I did, good. She deserved it.

Girl: How dare you!
???: it's heiress, actually.

We turn and see a girl in a black bow holding a book and a dust vial.

Bow girl: Weiss Schnee-

A German name? Maybe I was right on that other language thing. Since that name translates into Snow White and all.

Bow girl: - Heiress to the Schnee dust company. One of the largest producers of energy propellant in the world.

The rich girl, Weiss, smirks a cocky grin that I want to just want to smack right off.

Weiss: Finally, some recognition-
Bow girl: the same company infamous for it's controversial labor forces and questionable business partners.

Huh. Kinda sounds like my Father's steel company. Only it was my grandfather who made shady deals that my father wasn't aware of. He still isn't aware of them. The comment that the girl in the bow makes is enough to make Schnee mad.

Weiss: Wha- how dare- t-the nerve of-

Ruby is just giggling at the whole thing. Schnee then snatches the vial from bow girl and stomps off.

Ruby: I promise I'll make this up to you!

Ruby turns to the bow girl.

Ruby: So, what's your-

The girl in the bow is already halfway across the pathway into the main building. Ruby falls to the ground in exhaustion.

Ruby: Welcome to Beacon.

She looks like she needs some encouragement.

Me: I will admit, that wasn't the smoothest introduction ever, but, hey, look on the bright side: you've hit your rock bottom for the day. That means you can only go up from here.

Ruby looks at me.

Ruby: An interesting philosophy, but maybe you're right.

A blond boy comes up beside me and stares at Ruby for a second. Then he looks at me.

Boy: Uh, are you gonna help her.

I lightly shake my head.

Me: Nah...

He walks up to Ruby, extends his arm, and clears his throat. Ruby looks up at him.

Boy: I'm Jaune.

Ruby takes his hand, and he helps her up.

Ruby: Ruby.

He looks at me.

Me: John Fish.

Ruby suddenly starts giggling.

Ruby: Aren't you the guy that threw up on the ship?

Time skip
Ruby POV

Jaune: All I'm saying is motion sickness is a much more common problem then people let on.
John: Thank you!
Me: Look I'm sorry. "Vomit boy" was the first thing that came to mind.

I mean, what else would you call a guy who threw up the first time you saw him?

Jaune: Oh yeah? Well, what if I called you Crater Face? (Feel free to make as many Guardians of the Galaxy jokes as you want)
Me: Hey, that explosion was an accident!
Jaune: Well the name's Jaune Arc. Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue. Ladies love it.
John: Do they?
Jaune: They will! Well I-I hope they will. I mean my Mom always says that... N-never mind.

I giggle a little at his attempt at being cool. I don't think he wants to continue that conversation, so I think of a different topic.

Me: So, I've got this thing.

I take out Crescent Rose to show to Jaune. He jumps back a little.

Jaune: Whoah! Is that a scythe?
Me: It's also a customizable, high-impact sniper rifle.
Jaune/John: What?
Me: it's also a gun.
Jaune: Oh. That's cool!
Me: So what do you got?
Jaune: Oh, uh, I- I got this sword.

He draws out a normal broadsword.

Me: Ooh.
Jaune: Yeah I've got a shield, too.

He takes out a strip of metal that extends into a shield.

Me: What do they do?

Hey, the sword could split in two to catch an enemy weapon. I had a friend who could do that. I touch his shield, which bounces out of his hands.

Jaune: the-the shield gets smaller. So when I get tired of carrying it, I can just put it away

That seems counterintuitive. If it extends, it's the same amount of metal, just in a smaller area.

Me: But, wouldn't it weigh the same?
Jaune: Yeah it does.
Ruby: Well, I'm kind of a dork when it comes to weapons. I guess I did go a little overboard when I designed it.
John: Wait, you made that?
Me: of course. All students at Signal forge their own weapons. Didn't you guys make yours?
John: I mean, yes. But it's based off of the schematic for my fathers weapon.

I understand where he's coming from. Combat schools, like Oscuro for example, are boarding schools. It makes sense to have something of that kind of sentimental value. And why not make it something you use on a day to day basis while you're there.

Jaune: Mines a hand-me-down. My Great-great-grandfather used it to fight in the war.

I notice a look on Johns face. One of shocking revelation. Or I could be misreading it. Either way, I don't really bother to ask. I think Jaune should be proud to wield a weapon from such a time.

Ruby: sounds more like a family heirloom to me. Well, I like it. Not many people have an appreciation for the classics these days.
Jaune: yeah, the classics.

He puts away his sword. Then he asks an unexpected question.

Jaune: Does your weapon have name?
Ruby: What?

That's kind of an odd question to ask someone.

Jaune: Well, during the war, my great-great-grandfather named it Crocea Mors. I just wanted to be sure he wasn't, y'know, WHOO-Whoo.

Now his question makes more sense. He just wants to make sure wasn't crazy. I understand. A few people at Signal would make fun of me because my uncle is a drunk. I like to call him "Drunkle" sometimes.

Me: Oh, yeah. I call it Crescent Rose. Crescent because, scythe, and Rose, because, well, my last name.

We look to John.

Me: What about you, John?
John: Lee Enfield.

Lee Enfield?

Me: odd name.
John: it's named after two of my uncles, Lee Jones and Enfield Blu. They... passed away a month before my acceptance into Oscuro.

I can sympathize with him. The Rose part is because of my last name. But it's mostly because of the first other person I knew with the same last name.

My Mother, Summer Rose.

I remember first hearing the news of what happened to her. It's one of the hardest things to hear.

Me: I- I'm sorry...
John: No, you-your fine.

Wait, where are we headed? We've been walking around, but I don't know where we're actually going.

Me: hey where are going?
John: No clue.
Jaune: I was following you guys. You think there might be a directory? Maybe a food court? Some sort of recognizable land mark?

I just give a little giggle in response.

Jaune: is that a no, then?
Ruby: Yeah, that's a no.

Time skip
John POV

We enter the auditorium where Professor Ozpin is making announcements. I can see Yang who is waving at us.

Yang: Ruby, John, Over here! I saved you guys spots!

I walk toward her. I can hear Ruby talking to Jaune behind me.

Ruby: Oh, hey, I gotta go. I'll see you after the ceremony!

We walk up to Yang and wait for Ozpin to make his speech.

Yang: How's your first day going, Little sister?
Ruby:You mean since you ditched me and I exploded?!
Yang: Yikes, melt down already?
Me: No, she literally exploded.
Ruby: There was some fire, and I think some ice.
Yang: Are you being sarcastic?
Ruby: I wish! I tripped over some crappy girls luggage, and then she yelled at me, and then I sneezed, and then exploded, and then she yelled again, and I felt really, really bad, and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me.
Weiss: YOU!!!

Ruby jumped into her sisters arms.

Ruby: OH GOD, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!
Weiss: You're Lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff!
Yang: Oh my god, You really exploded.

Ruby gets down from her sister.

Ruby: It was an accident! It was accident!

Schnee shoves a piece of paper in Ruby's face.

Ruby: What's this?
Weiss: The Schnee dust company is not responsible for any injuries or damage sustained during the operation of a Schnee product.  Although not mandatory, The Schnee company highly encourages clients to read and familiarize themselves with this easy to follow guide of dust application in the field.

We just stare at her blankly.

Weiss: You want start making things up to me?
Me: No.
Ruby: absolutely.

Schnee shoves the paper into her arms.

Weiss: Read this and don't ever speak to me again.
Me: Ok.

I take the pamphlet and put in my pocket.

Yang: look, uh, maybe you three just got off on the wrong foot. Why don't you start over and try to be friends, ok?

I'm good.

Ruby: Yeah. Great idea, sis. Hello, Weiss, I'm Ruby. We could go shopping for school supplies...
Weiss: Yeah! And paint our nails, and try on clothes, and talk about cute boys like tall blond and... scraggly over there.
Ruby:Wow, really?

Schnee looks at Ruby with a scowl

Weiss: No.

Suddenly the squeal of a microphone fills the room. We look to the stage to see Ozpin and Goodwitch looking at the crowd.

Ozpin: I'll keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge. To hone your craft and acquire new skills. And when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy. In need of purpose and direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this. But your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you take the first step.

Goodwitch takes the mic from there.

Glynda: You will gather at the ballroom tonight. Tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed.

Yang: He seemed... off.
Ruby: Like he wasn't even there.

Jaune walks up to us.

Jaune: I'm a natural blond, y'know.

Time skip

I'm at the dorm room where Ozpin told me to meet him. Room 2019. I can hear voices coming from the room. But they don't belong to Ozpin or Goodwitch. I open the door to find three men. All wearing strange military uniforms.

( I'm using a call of duty picture as frame of reference)

The one in the coat looks at me.

???: Who the hell are you?
Ozpin: This is John Fish. The boy told you three about.

The one in the coat breathes a sigh of relief.

???: Could've given us a little warning first?

He extends his hand, which I shake.

???: Names Alex Rube.

Alex points at the short sleeved one.

Alex: That's Arthur Morrigan. (RDRll reference not intended)
Arthur: How's it going?

Alex then points to the one in glasses.

Alex: That mook over there's Richard Climmons. (RvB reference completely intend)

I look at their uniforms again. I can't tell where on our world their from. That is, until I see the patches on their uniforms.

Alex

Arthur

Richard

Me: United States?
Alex: Yep. American and proud.
Richard: Hoorah.

Americans. Great. A bunch of gun loving idiots with a love for alcohol. I don't know, maybe I'm stereotyping. We'll see.

Alex: So, uh... what's with the World War1get-up?

The World war... what? Does he mean The Great War? Is that what the Americans are calling it?

Me: Wait, do mean The Great War?
Alex: Uhh, yeah. That's a Great War uniform, is it not?

How would they know what a great uniform looks like? The Americans have declared neutrality from the war. I give them a curious look. And Alex gives me a concerned one.

Alex: Are you OK, man?
Me: I'm just curious as to how an American knows so much about the War. I thought they declared neutrality?
Alex: What? What are you talking about?

Arthur suddenly has a look of slight revelation.

Arthur: Alex?
Alex: Yeah?
Arthur: You remember what me and Richard told you when we first met, right?
Alex: Yeah-

Alex looks like he just remembered something.

Alex: Yeah, I do...

They all look at me for some reason. What are they talking about?

Alex: John, what Year are you from?
Me: What?
Alex: What year was it when you were last on earth?
Me: Nine-1916?

They all look like something uncomfortable was said. Ozpin makes a comment then sips his coffee.

Ozpin: Oh my...

Alex puts a hand on my back.

Alex: Alright. You're, uh... you're gonna want to sit down.

Time skip
Ozpin POV

John sits on a bed, trying to decipher what he just heard.

John: So you're saying that after all we've done, all we've sacrificed... it was all for nothing? We fought and suffered and died... just to have it mean nothing?

I can understand why he would feel this way. To fight in such a significant conflict, to watch your friends die around you, to have to live with what you've done to other human beings... just to see it all thrown away in another conflict.

Alex: Yeah... I understand it must be hard for you to hear.
John:... hard, yes. But not surprising. At least, not COMPLETELY surprising.
Me: And why is that?
John:... Humans are a stubborn and ignorant race. If multiple conflicts is what it takes for them to realize that peace is a precious commodity, then so be it.

Had he been a simple everyday boy, I might have been surprised at such a knowledgeable understanding. He walked into the hellfire of battle thinking he would come back a hero. That he would be celebrated as such upon his return. But his time in combat has thought him a very important lesson.

There is no glory in war. Only death and suffering.

For their benefit, I decide to change the subject.

Me: Well, this has certainly been enlightening. But now, I believe you four should head to the ballroom to get some rest. I'm assuming you already know, but should that not be the case, I will remind you. While you four are exempt from initiation, you must still participate in order to maintain cover. So be prepared.

Richard: Copy that.
Alex: Yes sir.

I look at John.

Me: John, do you have a middle name?
John: Uh, excuse me, sir?
Me: A middle name. Do you have one?
John: Uh, Winston, sir. Why do you ask?
Me: You'll find out tomorrow

Time skip
Ruby POV

I sit and think about what Yang told me about friends. I guess it's only been one day. I should give it time. Speaking of friends, John comes up to us, followed by three other guys.

John: Hey guys. I want you to meet some old friends I happened to come across. This is Arthur Morrigan...
Arthur: How's it going?

He extends his hand, which I shake.

Me: Nice to meet you.
John: Richard Climmons...
Richard:

(0:37 to 0:41)

John: And-

He's cut off by Yang.

Yang: Alex Rube.
Alex: Yang Xio Long...

They stare at each other, then start to laugh. Then they hug each other the way you would a friend.

Alex: How've you been, girl?!
Yang: I've been doin' alright. What about you? I haven't seen you-
Alex: Since the nightclub, yeah.

He turns to me.

Alex: How've you been, Ruby?
Me: Pretty good.
John: You guy's know each other?
Me: You know that nightclub I showed you? He kind of helped Yang wreck the place.

I remember that night. Yang and the owner of the nightclub came flying out the window, meanwhile, Alex came stumbling out the door out of breath.

John: Oh, well then, I guess that's introductions out of the way.
Me: So you know each other?
John: Yeah, we're all from Vaccuo.

Yang looks at Alex.

Yang: I thought you were from Mistral?
Alex: I moved to Mistral. I grew up in Vaccuo.
Yang: Oh.

We hear a candle being lit. We turn to see a girl in a black bow sitting in a chair reading a book. It's the same girl who talked to Weiss in the courtyard.

Me: That girl...
Yang: You know her?
John: No, not really. She saw what happened this morning, but left before we could say anything.
Yang: WELP, now's your chance!

She grabs me by the arm and starts dragging me behind her.

Me: Wait, what are doing?!

She drags me towards the girl in the bow.

Yang: Hello! I believe you two may know each other?

She looks up from her book and at us.

Girl: Aren't you that girl that exploded?
Ruby: Yeah. My names Ruby, but you can just call me crater... Actually you can just call me Ruby.

Girl:...okay.

Yang whispers to me.

Yang: What are you doing?
Me: I don't know, help me.

She looks at the girl.

Yang: So... what's your name?
Girl:... Blake.
Yang: Well, Blake, I'm Yang, Ruby's older sister. I like your bow.
Blake: Thanks.
Yang: It goes great with your... pajamas.
Blake:... Right.
Yang:... Nice night, don't ya think?
Blake: Yes, it's lovely. Almost as lovely as this book. Which I will continue to read. As soon as you leave.

Yang turns to me.

Yang: Yeah, this girls a lost cause.
Me: What's it about?
Blake: huh?
Me: Your book? Does it have a name?
Blake: It's about a man with two souls. Each fighting for control over his body.
Yang: Oh yeah, that's real lovely.
Me: I love books. Yang used to read to me every night before bed. Stories of heroes and monsters. Their one of the reasons I wanted to be a huntress.
Blake: Why is that? Hoping you'll live happily ever after?
Me: Well, I'm hoping we all will. As a girl, wanted to be just like the heroes in the books. Someone who fought for what was right, and who protected people who couldn't protect themselves.
John: That's very ambitious for a child.

We turn and look at John.

John: Unfortunately the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale.

I know where he's coming from. Vaccuo has seen an alarming increase in bandit activity. It's gotten bad enough that they had to call upon Atlas to help fix it.

Me: Well, that's why we're here. To make it better.

Yang walks up to me and picks me up.

Yang: Oh, I'm so proud of my baby sister!

I'm not a fan of being treated like this, especially not in public. So I did the sensible thing and punched her in the face. To her, this apparently means I want to playfully wrestle.

Blake: Well, Ruby, Yang, it's a pleasure-
Weiss: What in the world is going on over here?! Don't you realize some of are trying to sleep?!

Yang, Weiss, and John look at each other.

Yang/Weiss/John: OH, NOT YOU AGAIN!!!
Me: Sh, guys, she's right. People are trying to sleep!
Weiss: Oh, now you're on my side?!
Me: I was always on your side!
Yang: Yeah, what's your problem with my sister?!
John: She's only trying to be nice!
Weiss: She's a hazard to my health!

Then Blake blows out the candle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161K 2.6K 28
What Happens when 4 US Marines from different conflicts are thrown together into a new world and they have to fight together to stay alive. by the wa...
340K 5.3K 25
The world of Remnant is home to many mysteries and myths. Y/N one of the very few who knew the truth was highly capable to combat these threats but e...
6.7K 128 14
The group had taken their first stand against the forces of Salem at Haven Academy, and emerged victorious! Now, with the Relic of Knowledge in hand...
65K 965 136
Jaune Arc was never an actual Arc, he was the bastard of Jonathan Arc and a nameless woman, his sisters loved him, his adopted mother loved him but h...