Just Friends || h.s.

By alostbookworm

PREVIOUSLY NAMED "TENSION" ~Nothing is louder than the silence between two people who used to be so in love w... More

Just Friends
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
42.5
43
44
45
46
47
48
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2

49

3K 71 2
By alostbookworm

***Song: TPWK by Harry Styles

• • •
Madison

"Oh my god." I groaned in relief as soon as I flipped onto my bed. "I missed you."

"Want some privacy?" Anna retorted.

"Mhm." I hummed, my eyes fluttering closed. I couldn't even stay awake for long. I barely got sleep on that damn flight.

"Okay then. I'm gonna use your bathroom. Brandon is in his." She tells me, patting my butt before walking off.

"Mkay." I mumbled quietly, and soon I was out like a light.

• • •

Harry

Maddie was coming back today, and I was close to shitting bricks.

Nick had left a while ago to pick them up from the airport, saying that it would be at least half an hour until he returned.

I don't know what I am expecting to happen after she finds the card in her bathroom, but I am waiting for that moment to come soon.

I also came to a realization after she got to Italy, and it left me on a high the entire week she was there.

"Will you sit down? I'm sure Maddie will come over once she sees it. Just relax a little." Zayn says when he sees me pacing around the kitchen nervously.

An hour goes by and nothing happened. Nick even came by earlier after he brought them back, so I knew she was at home.

There is no way she couldn't have seen it. Unless...she did see it but doesn't care. I felt a pang in my chest at that thought, but I couldn't go over there.

I'll go by later, I tell myself.

Another hour passes, and I was on my feet the moment there was a knock on the front door.

Zayn beat me to opening it, and I slumped when it was just Nick entering our apartment, groaning and falling face-first onto the couch.

"Hello to you too." Nick scoffed at me before turning to Zayn. "What's his problem?"

"He's waiting for Maddie to come over and declare her love for him." Zayn chuckled, moving my feet over and sitting down in their place.

"Ah. Well, I wouldn't worry, Harry. She passed the fuck out the moment she got home." Nick answered, and I sat up quickly, feeling a little hopeful.

"Really?"

He nodded and sat down on the seat opposite of the couch. "Yup. I'm telling you, long flights are a bitch."

Relief hit me like a truck, and I relaxed a little knowing that she wasn't avoiding me.

I wonder if she read the journal.

So then another couple of hours pass by and I was currently on a walk around the building with Nick, who was talking about how he had another date with Louis tonight and he was finally going to ask him the question.

"I'm just worried because he hasn't answered any of my texts from this morning." Nick sighed, pulling his phone out from his pocket.

He stared at it weirdly before looking relieved. "Oh my god."

"What?" I asked him, a little confused.

"I have Maddie's phone. Which means she has mine." He chuckled, turning in the direction we were walking from and heading towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?"

"Maddie's. I need my phone back. Come on." He answered as I followed behind.

My mind started to race and my pulse quickened. Now? I was gonna see her now?

I don't think I'm ready to see her yet, even though I've been waiting all day for any response from her. Just go with it. Relax.

I take a deep breath and follow Nick up to Maddie's floor, patiently yet anxiously waiting outside of her door after he knocked. My foot was tapping furiously on the floor and I was biting my lip a little too hard, but not enough for me to draw any blood.

I stood up straight when the door opened, but relaxed when it was just Brandon.

"Hey." He greeted, opening the door a little wider for us to come in, staring at me a little longer than he did at Nick as we walked inside. "She's still knocked out. Jet lag really messed her up."

"That's fine. I just came to switch our phones back. I guess she has mine." Nick tells him, holding up his sister's phone for proof.

"Okay. Just be very quiet. I don't want to wake her." Brandon says, closing the door behind us and walking back fo his room, giving me another look added with a smile and light nod - which left me very confused.

I watched as Nick opened her bedroom door quietly, and I caught sight of her sprawled out on the bed, laying on her stomach as she slept peacefully. The image made my heart nearly skip a few beats, a smile made its way onto my face.

Once Nick switched their phones, he closed the door and we made our way back out of the apartment. I let out a deep breath once we stepped into the hallway, feeling the stress of just wanting to hold her and tell her I love her, but her rest was more important.

I had a feeling I wouldn't see her until tomorrow morning, because it was almost nine at night and at this rate, I don't think she was waking up anytime soon.

And I was right. I went to bed with her on my mind and woke up the same way. It was nearly eating me alive when half of the damn day passed and I still hadn't seen or heard from her.

I had a shoot this morning, in the afternoon, and another in the evening but after that, I had dinner and just sat in my living room, staring at the door in hopes that it would open.

Then it did, but only for Zayn to walk in.

"Where were you all day?" He greeted, shrugging off his coat and hanging it up.

"Working." I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "You?"

"Working." He chuckled. "I'm about to head over to Riley's though, if you want to come. I think Maddie is there."

That was enough to convince me to go, but I didn't want to seem to eager.

"Sure, why not? Not doing anything else." I say with a grunt as I got up off of the couch.

I waited for him as he put stuff from work into his room before he came back, following me out of the apartment and locking the door behind us.

We made our way down the hall to Riley's, and I didn't even question why her door was unlocked when Zayn just walked right in.

I took a few deep breaths, preparing to see Maddie here and trying not to run over and kiss the life out of her when I saw her laying on the couch, her head in Riley's lap while everyone listened to her conversation with Nick.

"I don't understand why tomato paste isn't just called ketchup." Nick argued, and I questioned my sanity the moment those words left his mouth. Are they really talking about condiments?

"Oh please. This is coming from the guy who used to call ketchup red mustard. Get the fuck out." Maddie scoffed, shaking her head.

"That was one time!" Nick defended himself.

"One time my ass. You did it for seven years." Maddie rolled her eyes. The conversation stopped there when everyone was aware of Zayn and I's presence, but when I locked eyes with Maddie, her scowl turned into a bright smile and she at up.

"Hi." I grinned, watching her while she crawled off of the couch and walked over to me.

"Hey." She looked up at me nervously before grabbing my hands. "I need to talk to you."

"Ooooh." Everyone chorused, but Madison oh-so-kindly flipped them all off.

"Fuck off." She cursed, giving my arm a small tug as she walked towards the door.

"Remember to use protection" was the last thing we heard - which came from Louis - before the door closed and we stopped walking.

Oh my god. She's going to reject me, isn't she?

"First, I'm sorry I didn't see you yesterday. I wanted to come see you but was exhausted and I had training this morning so that delayed my unpacking and I had to do my laundry and when I did come to your place, nobody was home but then Louis told me you were working so-"

"Breathe." I tell her, finding her rambling cute. I placed my hands on the sides of her face and she smiled, letting out a breathy chuckle.

"Sorry."

"You apologize too much." I smiled, keeping my eyes locked on hers. "It's okay. I didn't expect you to come over right away." Liar.

She nodded, seeming a little more relaxed. "But I'm here now, and I think we need to have a talk, that actually involves us talking this time."

"I definitely agree. But first," I started anxiously. Here goes nothing. "Did you, uh...see the note?"

Her face scrunched up. "Note?"

Shit. She never saw it. But how? I left it on her mirror so it was hard to miss.

"A pink index card. I put it on your bathroom mirror." I elaborated, but still got confusion in return.

"No. I mean, I did find a piece of tape, but there was no note or anything. Why?" Now she looked even more lost.

"That's weird." I furrowed my eyebrows and dropping my hands from her face. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, Harry. I'm very sure there was no pink note on my bathroom mirror. I would have seen it because I was in my bathroom, like, three times today." She answered.

"Was anyone else in your bathroom?" I continued.

"No, I don't th-" she cut herself off, a look of realization on her face. "Anna. She used my bathroom yesterday when we got back. I'll have to ask her later. She's at the store."

"Okay. No worries." Except I was very worried. I didn't ever want to lose that index card. I should have just given it to her myself.

Before either of us had the chance to speak again, her phone started to ring.

"Fuck." She cursed, taking it from her pocket and reading the screen with a frown. "I'm sorry. It's my coach."

I shook my head, telling her it's okay and that I'll stay silent while she answers it. I didn't listen to their conversation, but Maddie looked over at me quite a few times during their conversation before hanging up.

"So...I have to go give her a ride somewhere really quick," she started apologetically. "We will talk when I come back?"

"Take your time, love. Just let me know when. I'll be at my place, okay?" I said, brushing my thumb against the back of her hand.

She nodded, still looking guilty for having to leave. I pressed a kiss to her forehead and she sighed under the touch.

"I'll be back in less than an hour." She promised, letting that be the last words we exchanged for now before she went up to her floor.

I went back inside, jumping back in surprise when everyone was literally standing a few inches from the door.

"You guys don't have anything better to do?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope." Nick answered plainly.

I shake my head before looking at Zayn. "I need the key."

"You aren't staying?" He asked, taking the key from his pocket and handing it to me.

"No. She had to run somewhere really quick so we are just gonna talk when she gets back, I guess." I answered with the shrug of my shoulders.

"Ah. Got it." He nodded, following me to the hallway and letting the door close before he spoke quietly "do you want me to stay the night here? Ya know, so you and Maddie can be alone?"

"I have a feeling you're going to stay the night regardless of my answer."

He winked and patted my back. "You know me so well, mate. Good luck."

I chuckled as he went back inside, leaving me out in the hallway alone.

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 4.7K 48
Fate. A word so few believe to be real. The world is a place where fate may seem coincidental, but it is real. Times have changed, the world evolvin...
1.2M 43.6K 40
Being the biggest fangirl in her home state, Valerie Anderson writes fan-fiction constantly. She just completed a Harry Styles one, when the totally...
13.1M 435K 41
When Desmond Mellow transfers to an elite all-boys high school, he immediately gets a bad impression of his new deskmate, Ivan Moonrich. Gorgeous, my...
571K 15.6K 60
"I'm scared Harry!" I shout, finding some courage to voice my concerns. "Why? Tell me what scares you Maci and we can work through it, together," Ha...