Back To Where He Wants To Be

بواسطة by_cur

When Steve went to return the stones, he's not only bringing the stones with him but the slightest hope of br... المزيد

A Soul For A Soul
Changes After My Return (Steve)
James
It's Nice Seeing You Again
Vision
Thor's Back
Natasha's Breakdown
After The Third Snap
He's Mine Isn't He?
Welcome Back
James Turns 2
How Was He In The Past
I Would've
Maybe

He Came Back For Her

2.3K 79 44
بواسطة by_cur

——

At the Avengers Compound,  all of them are gathered, including those who couldn't make it earlier for James' birthday.

Pepper, Laura, and Maria are in one group chatting among themselves when Stephen joins them.

"Hi" Christine greets the women in front of them.

"Hey, Christine right?", Pepper asks.

"Yes, my fiancé." Stephen announces. Christine smiled lovingly at that.

"Oh, congratulations.", they all congratulated the couple.

"Thanks, you all are invited." Chrisine says happily.

Not far from them, there's Valkyrie and Carol sitting at the bar, catching up with each other. Carol has been a little busy and couldn't visit Earth often the past few months.

Around the corner, a messy trio can be seen, Happy, Wong and Luis —who had to beg Scott to let him come with them. Wong was following Strange until Strange ditched him and found himself trapped with these two people.

The younger ones, Groot, Shuri, Peter, Cassie, Lila, Cooper, Morgan, Nathaniel and James are with Mantis and Drax in the front field of the compound. Camping, chasing each other, playing boardgames. Drax pretending to be invincible trying to help Mantis win the game.

Back inside, there's also Sharon, Sam and Bucky having good conversation in the kitchen. Chatting about their work and the bond they had outside work. Sharon has constantly been helping Bucky and Sam on their missions, whenever they needed one.

Moments later, T'Challa can be seen with Okoye and Bruce who has only arrived. Soon after, Okoye joins Peppers circle. While T'Challa and Bruce went over to where Steve's circle is.

Few feet from them, Scott and Hope are exchanging greetings with the sisters, Nebula and Gamora.

"Hey Blue. How's space?" Scott greets Nebula, "Who's this?".

"Gamora, my sister."

"Ohhh, you... look different.", Scott says, Hope nudges his side.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Hope."

Hope and Gamora shared a handshake. "It's nice to see you again." she smiles at Nebula.

"You too." Nebula responds.

"Excuse me." Gamora excuses herself to meet Natasha who just came in from checking on James.

"Hey." Natasha greets her as Gamora gets closer.

"Hi." They sat down at the bar where Carol and Val is. "I've heard your story."

Natasha grins, "Yeah, we somewhat came back from the Soul Realm, sort of.".

"Somewhat.".

From a distance, Quill, Rocket, Thor, Steve, Clint, Rhodey, Bruce and T'Challa are having their own conversations, occupying the biggest part of the common room.

"They're gonna get along pretty well.", Clint who can see Natasha and Gamora from a distance says.

Rocket with his glass of beer responds to that, "They got some real connection there, not everyone gets to spend time in the soul realm.".

"Yeah? You wanna go next?" Quill asks, a little annoyed.

"Whats wrong with you man, you're so sensitive." Rocket counters.

"Don't worry, this is how they normally talk." Thor says, offering his Asgardian drink to Steve.

Steve accepts Thor's offer and started drinking in his own glass, before he stood up to excuse himself. He went to look for James and soon enough found him.

From the balcony, Tony and Nick are having their own conversation. It's the first time Fury went to see Tony after he woke up.

"I was really right about putting my trust in this team."

"You must be really proud of bringing this team together." Tony states, knowingly.

"I am.", Nick nods ever so slightly. "And I am glad you're back, Tony.". Fury surely cares for this team more than he ever shows.

Tony looking at the kids from where he and Nick is, "Who would've thought a spy and a soldier having a child together.".

"I should've known from the start when I assigned them as new partners." Nick laughs.

From where Steve is playing with James and the kids, he saw Tony and Nick looking at his direction. Soon enough he starts heading towards them.

"Rogers." Fury greets him as he got closer.

"Fury."

Nick stood up from his seat. He gave Steve a squeeze in his shoulder as he whispers to his ear. "That's the last time you do shit. Natasha's been through enough.", he stepped back to look him in his eyes. "I've got my eye on you.", Steve nods and then Fury went inside leaving both men.

"We both know Fury can be really crazy when he's being an over protective father."

Steve sat down from where Fury did a while ago. "Fathers are always like that."

Tony turns to him, "Oh! I almost forgot you're a father now too.".

Steve smiles, feeling proud to be a father.

"I never really got to talk to you about what happened." Tony starts, "What happened when you returned the stones?".

Steve took a while thinking where to start.

"Okay, let me rephrase that. What happened when you returned the tesseract?"

After a while Steve started, "She saw me.", Steve breathes in, "When we first came there, I saw my photo on her desk. It was a photo before the serum.". Steve smiles, "Then I saw her. I wanted to hold her, talk to her, but I know I can't.".

Tony nods, "Go on.".

"And after we defeated Thanos. When I returned the stones, in 1970's, I found myself standing in front of her office once again.".

/fb/

'Just one last look. I deserve that much.' Steve thought.

He was standing outside her office, peaking through the glass frame of the door. He saw Peggy staring at his photo. Emotions starts to build up in him.

Peggy felt an odd presence from behind the door. Her reflexes were activated and she turned quickly to see who it is. For a second he met the man's eyes, blue. She think she knows him. It took few seconds before she could utter, "Steve?" her voice is barely audible.

For a second, Steve met her eyes. He turns and froze there for a moment before walking down the hallway. He can hear a door opened, it's Peggy's. He turns to the corner and stood there hiding. "Steve?", he hears her call out for him.

Peggy opened the door and called out for Steve, no one answered. Looking right and left searching for that familiar face, not there, "Of course." Peggy laughs thinking it's ridiculous. She went back inside and shut the door behind her.

Steve could see Peggy's back, as she went back inside. He took out his last particle, stared at it for a good minute.

"You should get a life."

"We should get a life.", "You first."

"As maybe the worlds leading authority on waiting too long, don't."

"We won."

"At the stork club."... "Don't you dare be late."

Mixed emotions are starting to build up. Should I? Shouldn't I? He asked himself for a good minute.

'It's my last chance.', 'Then take it.' He heard the two soldiers who passed by, talking.

'Chance', is this my chance? Of getting back what I've lost. Is my purpose in the future done? Am I supposed to go back after the war. If I miss this chance will I ever get another one?

After some thought, Steve found himself putting 1945 in his coordinates without realizing. He's not totally sure of this, but he did anyway, activated his suit and traveled back to 1945.

He somehow got to change his attire. Went to the Stork club. He saw Peggy, she came. 'She came, she's hoping I'd show up despite the crash.' Steve thought. She's putting on a brave front, he can see it. Steve slowly approaches her. Peggy can't believe what she's seeing, tears fell from her eyes.

They shared the dance they've promised each other, they kissed.

——

Few months later, they got married. Everything seems to feel right, but it's not, he knows. The longer he stays in this time he once belonged, the more it felt foreign. The more he spends time with his best girl, the more he felt like he lost a part of him. He tried to look normal, not wanting any suspicions and burdens Peggy. But Peggy is a good observer.

Few months after their marriage, she started to ask him questions. She doesn't press for answers, and Steve is thankful for that. A year later  in their marriage, he decided to fill her in.

"I think it's time for me to tell the truth."

Steve doesn't know how to start it but somehow he did.

"That explains why you kinda look different, physically more matured in a good way. A decade in the future did you good." Peggy says, trying not to freak out of the revelation. "But what's more different is how you become inside. You felt different... you're here but I can barely reach you.".

"I'm sorry Peg."

"No. I'm sorry, it's partly my fault. I should've said goodbye instead agreeing for that dance... a date. We should've said our goodbyes and closed that door while we could've had to. Then it would've help you let go. All those time, you're holding on to the bitter faith we had... I'm sorry.".

"No Peggy, it's not your fault. I've met your future self, and you told me you lived your life. You fulfilled your purpose, you we're contented and happy.". Steve shakes his head, "But I still came back.".

"You're not here because that's what you want to, you're here for the what if's, Steve.", Peggy places her hand on Steves shoulders. "So what do we do now?", she asks.

A little over a year, they became more of a friend than a married couple. They tried but it's not working.

Another year later, Peggy started to feel something for another man. And Steve, he's beginning to look forward to the day he can go back to 2023.

"Daniel, he's a good man."

Peggy didn't know he's his husband in the future. She doesn't want to know nor asks who she'll end up with, because she wants to fall in love with the love of her life naturally and not because she already knew who it'll be.

"I'm happy for you Peg.", and he means it.

Few more months and they decided to separate. They remained married on papers. Steve stayed at his old house, while Peggy gets to stay in once was theirs.

A decade later, divorce was legalized. Nearly the same time Hank successfully made his first few Pym Particles.

"Hank was hesitant, but I got to request one.", Peggy handed him the particle, "Here. No more messing up Steve. I got mine and this time make sure not to miss yours. Make her yours.".

Steve's eyes were full of hope, excitement and love, he'll soon see the love of his life.

"Go, Natasha must be waiting for you. Treat her right."

Steve suddenly felt scared, is she waiting? Knowing he went back in time. "Do you think she is?".

Peggy frowns, feeling the pain he has in case Natasha won't be there when he comes back. "Honestly, I don't. She's probably broken now, I too if I am her. No matter how strong a woman is, love can make them weak anytime."", Peggy held his hand in hers, "But if she's not, then it's you who has to wait.".

Steve nods, "I will. Thanks Peg.". He gave her another hug before he turns to Howard.

"Will I be a good father to my son?", Howard asks, worried.

Steve smiles. He won't try to change things anymore because in the end, everything will fall back in its place on their own. "You did what you could.".

He starts readying himself to travel through time again. "I'm sorry I can't make it to your wedding.", he looks at Peggy one last time. "Send my regards to Daniel.".

"I will.", Peggy smiles lovingly at the thought of Daniel. "And Steve...", she starts, "the time we had, the original one... it was beautiful while it lasted. Memories are memories for a reason, if you try to live it once more it's not gonna be the same.".

Steve nods, they'll always be a part of each others past, each others wonderful memories. But memories stays memories, while they will continue to grow, they'll change. It's not that they loved each other less, but they found someone whom they'll love more than they ever thought they could.

/fb ends/

Steve and Tony remained silent for quite a moment.

"So you had to marry her to realize your heart already belongs to someone else.", Tony starts, "No wonder Red is hesitant, how weak that love is for you to not realize? Or how strong were you holding on to your past that even Natasha can't make you let go.".

Steve doesn't have anything to say to that.

Natasha found a corner to spend some time alone.

"I'm not sure if you want some time alone or you want someone to talk to."

"Hey, haven't seen you around."

"I took a time alone for a while as well.", Wanda gave her a smile.

"Here we are again." Natasha says pressing her lips together.

"I saw you. Now that you know... how are you?"

"I don't know. But I can't say I'm not happy he came back for me.", Natasha bows her head. Different emotions fighting inside, trying to take over her. "But the pain is still here.".

"Take your time Natasha."

Natasha was on her way to join Steve and Tony outside when she heard them talking about his time travel.

"Romanoff."

"Nick." she gave him a teasing smirk.

"You know I've long givin' up trying to remind you kids that it's Fury." he shakes his head in defeat.

Natasha smiles knowing how her team does everything on their will, "No one asked you to bring all the hard headed individuals together. Are you leaving already?".

"Yeah, I'll just see Carol and James and I'm out.".

Natasha hugs him, "Take care.". She pulls back, "And come visit often, you know where to find me.".

Nick nods, "I'm proud of you Natasha.".

She smiles, a smile from being praised by a father.

They went separate ways and she saw Tony and Steve on the balcony. She starts heading towards them, and when she's inches away she hears Steve talking about his marriage. From there until the end.

Note: I honestly messed this up. I realize halfway that I mixed this with the plot I have for my next fic. The reason why it took long for me to write an end to this. But I'm going to end this soon.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

5.9K 242 30
When called to be a part of the Avengers Initiative, Bruce Banner was wary of everyone. Natasha Romanoff was sent to bring him in, but he couldn't wa...
418K 8.7K 95
"WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM ROGERS?" you yell "YOU! YOU ARE MY PROBLEM!" he yells back "WHY? WHAT DID I DO?" "NOTHING! THAT'S THE PROBLEM Y/N! EVERYDAY YOU...
77K 2K 28
-COMPLETED- After Thanos snapped half of all life the remaining Avengers don't know what to do. This is a story about what happens during the five ye...
15.9K 659 37
"I'd give up the whole damn Universe for you." The Ghost of the East had lost all will to search for a small grass field and a few red roses to hug...