redamancy | jace herondale

By concupiscentz

[temporarily on hold] (n.) the act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned in full. More

intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53

15

1.8K 57 0
By concupiscentz

"Zee, please let me explain-" Jocelyn followed me when we returned back to the Institute, surrounded by guards, Aldertree and Lydia.

I ignored her, walking into the training room, where she only followed me, Simon following her, as Jocelyn's shouts had gotten Clary and Margaret's attention as well.

"Zee-" Jocelyn yelled, "Zee, stop!"

"What the hell wrong with you?" I snapped at her when I turned around to face her, "We almost had him back."

Jocelyn softly shook her head in defense at my accusation, "You don't understand."

"You're right, I don't." I scoffed deeply, clenching my fists at my sides, "I don't understand why you would try to kill my brother."

Margaret, my mother, slowly entered the room, "What's going on?"

"Mom?" Clary was by her, eyes slightly wide.

I grit my teeth, "Jocelyn tried to kill Jace."

Margaret's eyes widen, "What?"

Clary stepped forward, "You tried to kill our brother?"

"Because your brother, he's not who you think he is!" Jocelyn defensively shot back at us.

"And how would you know that?" I tainted her, stepping closer, "Jace isn't your son."

Jocelyn went silent.

"He never was and never will be, especially after you tried to murder him." I was admittedly harsh, but my anger was overpowering me, "Maybe that made it easier for you to shoot that damn arrow at his head."

Jocelyn exhales deeply at my words, "Honey, there's still so much you don't know."

"Maybe because neither you, or my mother decided to fill me in when you guys decided to come back crashing into my life." I seethed through my teeth.

Simon quickly came between Jocelyn and I when I stood directly in front of her, "Hey, maybe we should take a deep breath and relax."

Jocelyn looks at him, exhaling deeply, "Simon, give us some space, please."

Simon stepped back, "Sure thing, Mrs. F."

"No- you're staying right where you are." I argued and stepped away from Jocelyn, "You're one of the only people I could actually trust right now."

Small hurt flashed in Jocelyn's eyes, "I want you to know I'm a victim here, too- we all are."

"Really?" I scoff in surprise, "You got nothing left so you're playing the damn victim card?"

Jocelyn looked down, "Margaret, tell her."

My mother was silent.

I looked at her, "Tell me what?"

"When I was pregnant with your brother, Valentine drugged me." Margaret quietly began, "He did an experiment on the baby."

Clary's eyes widen, "What?"

Jocelyn nods slowly, folding her hands, "He injected Jonathan with demon blood."

I stare at my mother, "Why would he do that?"

"He's sick." Margaret's eyes squint at the thought, "He thought demon blood would make our unborn child strong."

"And it did." Jocelyn followed up, speaking to back herself up, "But- it also made him evil."

"And I'm supposed to buy that?" I glanced at her, "Downworlders have demon blood- they're not all bad."

"Zee, you have no idea how much I loved your brother-" Margaret walks over to me, "And I didn't want to believe it until I saw what he was capable of."

"What're you talking about-" I began, but she ran her stele over her memory rune and grabbed my arm, a gasp leaving my lips when a memory flashed before my eyes.

"It's okay- mommy's just cutting some pretty flowers." I saw a younger version of my mother, holding a baby boy that was Jace, "Okay-"

Then a gasp left her lips when Jace's eyes went completely black, the white flowers dying and going black.

Margaret gasped, "Jonathan!"

I pried my arm away from my mother, holding it, staring at her, breathing heavily.

"And it wasn't the last time something like that happened." Margaret was quiet, "So- Jocelyn and I went to one of Idris' most powerful warlocks, Ragnor Fell."

Her next words made my heart stop, "He warned me that, in the future, your brother would only leave death and destruction in his wake."

-

"Aldertree wants to question me again." Simon informed me after following me into my room even despite everyone else thinking I needed space, "Why would he do that? I don't know anything."

"I don't know-" I sat down, "Maybe- he wants you to confirm that Jocelyn has lost her mind."

"Jocelyn is the one of the sanest people I know." Simon gave me his opinion, "She told me it was a bad idea to get the Champagne Enema tattoo- or when she warned Clary that Tommy Peterson was a total assclown?"

"As those sound undoubtedly interesting-" I inhaled, "Are you really saying that Jocelyn might be right about this? That Jace-"

I paused, then emphasized, "Jace is some kind of evil flower-killing monster that deserves a death sentence?"

"No, no." Simon softly chuckles, "That's definitely not what I'm saying."

Simon then reminded me, "But- we did see what Jace did to that vampire before he grabbed Valentine and then disappeared."

"Maybe he's being manipulated-" I argued, sighing, "Simon- you haven't known Jace as long as I have. I know he's not like that."

Lydia quietly knocks, "Aldertree's ready for you."

Simon nervously chuckles, giving me one last look before he leaves my room, "Can't wait."

-

"Alec, are you okay?" I heard Clary's quiet voice, my eyes spotting Alec punching a punching bag over and over.

Alec breathes deeply, "Pretty bold of you to show your face here."

Clary sighs, "I can explain."

Alec rolls his eyes, "Unless your explanation can bring Jace back, save it."

By now, Isabelle was by my side, as we watched them from afar.

Clary argued, "Alec, Jace is my brother, too-"

"You barely know him- I grew up with him." Alec argued back, "I fought by his side, he's my brother- he's my best friend-"

"Alec-" Clary stammers in defense, "Alec, I want Jace back as much as anyone- I- I am not my mother."

"How well do I even know you?" Alec confronted her, "I mean, you show up out of nowhere, you convince Zee, you convince me to search for your mother- and the next thing I know, in the mess of all that- Jace is gone, and your mother is the one trying to kill him."

"I had nothing to do with that, Alec." Clary was tearing up, "I would never hurt Jace- he's helped me so much- I know how much he means to all of you-"

By now, Isabelle and I were making our way towards Alec before his anger lead him to take this too far.

"Since you've arrived, you've caused nothing but problems." Alec stepped closer to Clary, "We have all risked our lives for you over and over, Zee went on countless unsanctioned missions for you, my family lost their birthright, Izzy was almost deruned, and now Valentine has my parabatai."

Alec looked at her with pure and complete hatred, "And it's all because of you."

"Alec- I'm sorry." Clary stuttered over her words.

"Alec, enough." I stepped in.

Isabelle backed me up, "Alec, this isn't her fault."

"When are you gonna realize you don't belong here?" Alec continued, ignoring Isabelle and I, "You never have."

"Alec!" I raised my voice at him when tears started to stream down Clary's expression, as he walked past her, and away from us.

I looked at Clary, shooting him a sympathetic look before running after Alec.

-

"There's a clear pattern." Lydia's voice filled the Ops Center when I quickly slipped through the crowd, joining Alec and Isabelle, Clary by my side, "Young, strong, highly-skilled fighters, all abducted from boxing clubs, dojos and gyms."

"Valentine must've realized that even with the Cup, creating Shadowhunters isn't easy." Lydia continued, "He needs mundanes who are more likely to survive the conversion."

"When did the briefing start?" I whispered to Alec and Isabelle, "Nobody told us."

Isabelle exhales, "That wasn't an accident."

"Your job is to stake out the potential targets, and catch the Circle members when they try to abduct them." Lydia instructs, "We capture a Circle member, we have a shot at Valentine."

"And Jace." Alec mutters to Isabelle, "That's how we get to him before they try and kill him."

Isabelle nods once, "Just keep your cool in front of the boss."

"You have your orders." Lydia stepped off the higher platform when Aldertree and Jocelyn walked into the room, "Dismissed."

"Lydia." I pushed through the crowd and rushed over to her, "Lydia, please- you need all hands on deck, let add another pair."

"Absolutely not." Aldertree suddenly joined the conversation before Lydia could reply, "You're too close to this, that makes you a liability."

I looked at him, my eyes slightly wide, "But- I'm highly trained- I can help."

"You're not going out there, Zee, that's final." Aldertree pulled Lydia away as she shot me a sympathetic look before following.

I looked at Jocelyn, who exhales deeply, "This isn't coming from me."

"Izzy-" I rushed over to my parabatai and my best friend, looking between her and Alec, "Izzy, please- I can't just sit here and do nothing- nor would you want to be benched on this- especially this."

Clary was by my side too, "Let me come with you."

"Did you not hear me before?" Alec looked at Clary, his blank stare going hard, "There's no place for you here."

"Alec, enough." I glanced at him for a second, as he huffed deeply, looking away, my eyes landing back on Isabelle, "Iz- please."

"You know I would- but, Aldertree has a close eye on you and that weakens our chances on finding Jace." Isabelle glanced at Aldertree, her voice quiet.

Alec doesn't even glance at Clary, "Let's go, Izzy."

-

"Hey-" I walked into Clary's room to find my little sister in tears, sniffling quietly.

I had been so invested in finding Jace that I had barely spoken to her about what Alec had said.

"Clary, all those things Alec said about you-" I slowly entered the room, closing the door behind me, "You know Isabelle and I don't feel that way-"

"You have every right to." Clary's tears were glimmering in the light.

"None of this is your fault- okay?" I slipped my hands into my back pockets, "Alec, he's stressed out- with his parabatai gone, he's like a different person,
I'd act the same if it were Isabelle."

"Alec's right." Clary said, "I'm not one of you."

"I'm just some girl from Brooklyn who went out to celebrate her birthday and came back with a present she never wanted." Clary inhales sharply, her voice getting quieter, "And can't return."

"You don't want to return that present." I crouched in front of my little sister, "That present gave you so much more to live for- it's a blessing."

"Not for me." A tear fell from Clary's eye, "I just I want to feel normal again, Zee. I- I want my old life back."

"I'm sure you do, but- don't you get it?" I considered, "You found the sister you never knew you had- a brother- you woke up your mother. So much has happened in the past few weeks- how can any mundane life be better than the adventures you've experienced in the Shadow World thus far?"

This makes Clary go quiet.

"And now- after being here for so long- you have a permanent target on your back." I placed a hand on her knee, "The Institute is the safest place for you- you have a new life now."

"You have me." I wiped her tear, "And I promise you- that is never gonna change."

-

I sat on a stool at the Brooklyn Academy of Art, drawing on the white canvas that was in front of me.

I needed a break from everything at the Institute.

I needed a break from everyone.

I didn't know where else to go.

I wanted to be away.

And this was my away.

My finger glided against the canvas, blending in the charcoal when I felt a hand on my shoulder, a Luke's voice, "Hey, kiddo."

My head turned, seeing Luke and Jocelyn.

"By the Angel-" I threw the pencil onto the desk I was next to in frustration, getting up, facing her, "You know- my own mother pester me as much as you do."

"You have to come back to the Institute." Jocelyn said it straight, "It's not safe."

I roll my eyes and looked at Luke, slipping my hands into the pockets of my leather jacket, "So, wait, are you on her side now?"

Luke exhales, "There are no sides."

"Oh-" I scoff in slight humor, "So- you're okay with her trying to kill Jace?"

"I didn't say that." Luke lightly shook his head at me, "But, Jocelyn's right, you need to get back to the Institute."

"I can handle myself." I reminded them both, then glanced at Jocelyn, "I wasn't raised as a mundane."

Jocelyn looks down, inhaling sharply.

"I don't want to be in that Institute and do nothing- I can't do anything to help Jace, and I've been banned from trying to search for him." I looked between them, "So- stop trying to bring me back when there's no place for me there right now."

With that, I push past them and left the room, along with the building, stepping back outside.

My eyes are caught when a portal opens, revealing a sick looking Dot, her veins present in her face.

"Dot?" I stammered, running down the steps and to her, "I thought you were dead."

Dot held her hand out for me when I finally reached her, "Dot, what's going on?-"

Then, Jocelyn's shout was heard, "Zee!"

Dot grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the portal, Jocelyn's shouts disappearing as I entered the portal.

When we came out the other side, my eyes were slightly widened when I saw where we were.

I pulled my hand away from Dot's grip, "This- this is Valentine's ship, isn't it?"

Dot stared at me, "He's misunderstood."

"He is a murderer-" I corrected her immediately, looking around, "Wait- if this is Valentine's ship- Jace is here- take me to Jace-"

"I want you to see something." Dot grabbed my arms lightly, "Then, I will."

I stare at her, "What?"

"There are things that you can do as a Shadowhunter, but- there's so much more you're capable of." Dot grabbed my head, "Let me show you."

-

"Jace?" I touched his shoulder when I finally found him after wandering around the shop.

Jace suddenly turned and my back hitting his chest when he pulled me, his arm around my neck, his other arm holding mine, "I've had enough of your mind games."

"It's me, Jace-" I began.

Jace scoffs, "Right-"

"Jace, it's me!" I raised my voice, "Hear me out-"

"Wherever I go, you follow." I quickly said, trying to convince him that it was truly me, "Remember when you helped me choose my signature weapon- and were always training with me to make sure I knew how to move with them?"

"I drew a little sword on your wrist- and retraced it every time we trained." I recalled quietly, my heart beating quickly, "You squirmed and complained  about how much it tickled- but- you let me do it anyway."

Jace slowly let go of me, grabbing my arms lightly, "What are you doing here?"

"Dot brought me." I immediately told him.

"Dot?" Jace stammers, "She's alive? Why- why would she bring you here?"

"She wanted to show me something." I quickly told him, "Jace, I- I know this sounds crazy, but, I can see the future."

"No, that's not- that's not possible." Jace shook his head, "Shadowhunters can't do that, Zee-"

"Then I guess I'm not your ordinary Shadowhunter." I suddenly snapped at him, "Neither are you."

Jace stares at me, then exhales, "What did you see?"

"The Downworlders." I inhale, "They slaughter the mundanes, one by one, until there's no one left."

I stepped closer to him, "And, Jace, with your demon blood, you- you're the only one that can stop them."

"My children." Valentine Morgenstern walked toward us, catching me off guard, "This is what I've always wanted- to be with my family."

I scoff deeply and step back, shaking my head at him, "You and I are not family."

Valentine exhales deeply at my words, "Zee, I am your father, and I do love you."

"So- are you gonna join Jeremy?" Valentine looked at Jace, "He's going big game hunting."

"We just got intel on the wolf that killed Jeremy's father." Valentine continued, "We're gonna bring the beast back to the boat."

When Jace doesn't reply, Valentine looks at me, "Look, since Jace doesn't want to go, why don't you come along, Zee? Hone those Shadowhunting skills of yours, huh?"

"No." Jace clears his throat, walking away from Valentine and I, "She's, uh- she's not ready to face a cornered werewolf- I'll go."

I began to step away from Valentine, not wanting to be near him when he grabs my wrist.

I looked at him, trying to pull my wrist away, "What're you doing-"

"While your brother is out searching for that wolf- you'll be getting used to your new blood." Valentine suddenly pulled out what looked like a syringe and pinched it into my neck.

"Do you just carry that around-" My eyes widen, as they rolled to the back of my head when whatever he injected into me came into full affect, as I fell to the ground.

-

The sound of prisoners clamoring and shouting pulled me out of unconsciousness, my eyes opening to see I was in a cage as well.

I didn't know what Valentine injected into me, or what kind of blood he was speaking of and nor did I know what it did to me.

All I knew was that my body robbed of energy and was aching in pain.

My hand went to my pained head, as Dot inched closer to me, "What did you do to me?"

"I'm so sorry, Zee." Dot exhales apologetically.

"Up there with Jace, that- that wasn't me talking." I held onto the cage, "I can't see the future, can I?"

"No." Dot shook her head lightly, "Valentine made me cast a spell on you so that you'd do as I'd say."

I stepped back, "You used me."

"And I have to do it again." Dot reaches into the cage, "It wears off quickly on Shadowhunters."

"No, Dot!" I backed up until my back hit the other side of the cage, "You don't have to do this."

"If I don't, he'll get angry, and we don't want that." Dot continued to reach closer for my head.

"Dot!" I shouted suddenly, "Dot, remember- when I got my stele away for accidentally starting a fire in class- and you brought me gelato from Little Italy to cheer me up."

"It wasn't from Little Italy." Dot pulled her hands away, her voice lowering, "It was from Rome."

"See?" I pointed out, "You were the older sister I never had-"

Dot's voice got lower, "Why did you stop looking for me?"

"Magnus couldn't feel your magic anymore." I told her what I knew, "We thought Valentine had killed you."

"No." Dot shook her head, "He just experimented on me."

"Dot, please, help me." I urged, "We may not be able to go back to the way things were, but- it doesn't have to be like this."

"You don't understand." said Dot, "He will find us."

"We will stay with Magnus, hide behind his wards." I assured her, trying to persuade her, "Please, Dot."

-

"I'm telling the truth." The familiar voice stammered as I walked out into the ship with Dot.

Jace stops in front of the tied woman with shining white hair, his blade to her neck, "Don't lie to me."

"Please don't kill me- I've obeyed the Accords." The woman stuttered in fear, "I'm part of Luke's pack- we don't hurt anyone, we're not like that."

"A wolf will say anything to go free, but she can never change what she is." Valentine persuaded Jace as I parted ways with Dot, "You let her live, son, and she will kill again and again and again."

I cut in, walking over to them, "Jace!"

"Zee, how nice of you to join us." Valentine acknowledged, "Perhaps you can convince your brother to finish what he started."

I ignored him and looked at Jace, inhaling deeply, "Listen to me closely."

Jace let his guard down, his eyes glued to mine.

"Everything I said when I first got here was a spell- I was being controlled-" I confessed to him, cutting to the chase, "Run-"

Jace grabbed my hand right away and pulled me along with him, stopping when two Circle members were inching closer to us, as he let go of my hand and quickly took them down himself.

"Jonathan!" Valentine shouted from behind us, "There's no way out."

Jace grabbed my hand when both men were dead, pulling me towards the ledge when he suddenly stopped, confusing me.

Dot stood by the ledge and used her magic to open a hole wide enough for Jace and I to escape through, giving me a nod.

I looked at Jace, noticing his deep coughing and bloody nose, my eyes widening, "Jace, are you okay?"

"Jonathan, come back here!" shouted Valentine, as more members inched closer to us, "There's nowhere to run!"

"Jace, we have to go now!" I quickly said, holding him up best I could while he leant into me, "Jace!"

Jace grabbed my hand and rushed to the ledge, pushing through whatever he was experiencing, as we both leaped off and were enveloped in freezing cold water.

authors note:

y'all, zee really snapped at jocelyn, who's proud

I'm sorry for the late update !!!

I'm back on schedule now tho

thank you for 3k !

vote and comment loadsss

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.5K 1.1K 6
a person who acts obsequiously towards someone important in order to gain advantage. → ❝You changed my world the minute you walked through the door❞ ...
24.2K 949 15
/OCC/ /AU/ Alec a young warlock is thrown out by his parents when they discover his secret , how will the young man survive alone as a downworlder? A...
468K 14.7K 191
COMPLETED Fluff, Heartache, Happenies, Cute Flirting
241K 5.1K 14
"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ― Lao Tzu Shadowhunters (Season 1)