Before The Beginning

By ShwahGamer

Bertrice, Quaren, and mentions of other ships inside! This is a look into the past, with my version of how we... More

Chapter 1: Old Friends
Chapter 2: Changes in V.F.D.
Chapter 4: "You Too?"
Chapter 5: First Steps
Chapter 6: Plan A
Chapter 7: Paltryville
Chapter 8: Mission Indeterminate
Chapter 9: The Anwhistle Fallout
Chapter 10: The Immunizing Projects
Chapter 11: Asking a Favor
Chapter 12: A Night at the Opera
Chapter 13: Life Moves On
Chapter 14: An Overdue Apology
Chapter 15: The Denouement Discourse
Chapter 16: Preparing for the Ball
Chapter 17: One Last Favor
Chapter 18: The Masquerade Ball
Chapter 19: Running Away
Chapter 20: Shipwrecked
Chapter 21: It Could Be Something Else
Chapter 22: Preparations
Chapter 23: Back at Headquarters
Chapter 24: Unforeseen Complications
Chapter 25: New Arrival
Chapter 26: Hunting Olaf
Chapter 27: Leaving
Chapter 28: Catching Up
Chapter 29: A Deeper Understanding
Chapter 30: A Little Surprise
Chapter 31: Homecoming
Chapter 32: Best Friend Reunion
Chapter 33: House Hunting
Chapter 34: A Friendly Visit
Chapter 35: April
Chapter 36: "Thought You Should Know..."
Chapter 37: Playdate and Dress Shopping
Chapter 38: A Beautiful Day for a Wedding
Chapter 39: Not According to Plan
Chapter 40: Back from the Trip
Chapter 41: Making Plans
Chapter 42: The Best Day of Our Life
Chapter 43: The End and Epilogue

Chapter 3: First Meeting

350 13 65
By ShwahGamer

Begin!

~Karen's POV

A small department store had caught fire in a town down in the Hinterlands. Thankfully, it was a day when they weren't very busy so everyone made it out safely. I helped a few civilians to our transport to get them to safe places. I don't like feeling prideful, but I was always happy to help others; that might be why I had a bit of a smile on my face, despite the desperate situation. I was helped by several volunteers but I didn't recognize any of them. They must be from different departments.

"Is that the last of them," I asked one of my associates.

"Looks like it, and the fire is under control. Go regroup with those two over there and tell them to get a report to the chief. After the fire is out for good, we'll let you know when to head back to headquarters."

"Understood sir," I replied as he walked away.

I walked towards the direction he had pointed me in to find two men talking. Both of them were taller than me, and both of them had black hair. At first I thought they might have been brothers, but as I got closer I noticed they were obviously not related. The man on the left wore black-rimmed glasses covering his blue eyes, his hair was a bit untidy, and his facial features were different from his companion's. I took a second glance at his friend.

His friend was attractive... very attractive. His hair was more neat than the other man's, which I rather preferred myself. He didn't wear glasses making me able to see his wide, handsome, green eyes more clearly. I couldn't help wishing very much to be able to speak to this good-looking gentleman more but unfortunately: I have a job to do.

"Hello," I said smiling at them. "I need to tell you that one of you needs to report this to the chief when we get back."

The more handsome of the two gentlemen flashed a very charming smile back at me. "I'll be sure to take care of it. I don't believe we've been introduced, Quinten Quagmire."

"I'm Karen Denouement," I replied shaking his hand politely.

"I saw you save the last of those civilians, you're a very capable volunteer," Quinten said.

I smiled a little bigger, "Oh, I'm no better than anyone else, but I appreciate the compliment."

We were then interrupted by his glasses-eyed friend loudly clearing his throat and saying, "Q, no flirting on the job."

I couldn't help snorting at that comment, though the implication that we were flirting would have meant that I was too.

Quinten gave him a glare. "Sorry this is my friend Bertrand; he likes to be annoying at the worst possible times."

"It's quite alright," I said, "Nice to meet you."

Bertrand nodded politely at me. Another of our associates came by and assigned us to go back to the office. I had to break away from staring at my handsome new acquaintance to get back in the truck and head off; they were traveling in a different car. I simply must tell Bea when I see her.

"Quinten Quagmire... I think I made a friend today!"

~Beatrice's POV

I got out my best fancy dinner attire, an elegant blue dress, and took a ride to my destination in a taxi driven by my friend Jacques Snicket, who was also my ex's older brother. He gave me a polite smile when I got in the car.

"Evening Bea, you look nice."

"Thank you, Jacques, always got to look your best when you're undercover."

He chuckled quietly, "Agreed. I heard another volunteer is working a case there tonight as well. Maybe you'll run into him."

I shrugged, "Possibly. And thank you for the ride." I paused before asking, "Is Lemony doing alright?"

"I talked to him on the phone, he's doing fine. I'm sorry things didn't work out between you two."

"I am too, but we can move on. And I do wish him well. Is Kit ok?"

"Yes she's keeping busy with her work, and she's spending more time at the Hotel Denouement."

I nodded in satisfaction that my friend was using her time appropriately despite her recent hardships. I looked out the window and noticed my stop, as Gustav had said it was very busy. "Right here is fine, Jacques. I'll call you once my objective is complete."

He stopped the car to let me out. "Good luck, Bea."

I opened my purse to give him a tip but he refused, saying that volunteer work doesn't require payment. I suppose that was fair. I walked up through the restaurant doors to start my assignment. The front desk manager gave me a curious look but I casually explained that I had a reservation. (Which I did, of course.) He nodded and had someone lead me to my table. I have to admit it was quite a nice place, very fancy and formal. I ordered a glass of wine, glanced over the menu since I might as well eat while I'm here, and waited for my target to show.

After a while, a man I knew stopped by my table with my drink. His name was Larry and he was a volunteer. His cover was that he was a waiter who moved from place to place using his skills to obtain information. (You'd be surprised at how often people just talk about confidential details and plans over a nice dinner! And they never suspect their waiter!) I gave him a knowing smile.

"Good evening miss, have you been having a very fun day," Larry asked, using code even though we know each other.

"Good evening and I haven't had a perfect day but some nice violin music would certainly help."

Larry nodded, "I'll ask him to come back from his break just for you then."

He took my order, I took Gustav's advice about avoiding the chicken, and he walked away. I sipped my drink patiently waiting. I wish I had remembered my book, I sadly left it at home in my haste to get ready. What I didn't realize was that about a table away from me was another volunteer doing his own work here, and that a pair of bright blue eyes covered by prescription glasses had seen me from afar and were occasionally glancing at me with shy intrigue.

A man carrying a violin walked to my table first before going to his usual playing position. He thanked me for requesting his services, and I handed him his secret message folded inside a rather nice tip. He didn't comment, and went to work playing at his post as if we had not spoken at all. With that out of the way I was able to focus on other things, like my growling stomach.

~...

Once I had finished my meal, which was thankfully tasty, I finally noticed someone across the way. I locked eyes with a very handsome gentleman, just my age, in a nice suit. His black hair was a bit untidy, and his blue eyes were covered by black-rimmed glasses. I've never seen him before, but something drew my attention to him like no other. Perhaps he felt the same way as his own eyes almost refused to leave me. I'm no stranger to handsome men, I've always been told I was very beautiful and I've had many admirers over the years. (I'm definitely better looking than my older brothers that's for damn sure.)

I saw the man finish paying for his meal and he seemed to contemplate whether or not he should approach me. I held back a snicker because it was obvious he wanted to, but he looked rather shy. As he thought it over, I paid for my own meal, and gave Larry a nice tip. I decided that if this guy wasn't going to come to me, I might as well approach him first. I stood and smoothed my dress before walking up to him.

"Hello," I said with a smile.

He broke eye contact with me and shyly replied, "Hi..."

"Was there a reason why you were kind of staring at me just now," I said, teasingly.

"Oh, sorry I just..." He lowered his voice, "I heard your waiter ask you about your day."

I blinked in surprise, he's a volunteer then! He was also much cuter up close, I noticed.

"Oh yes, he did... I'm Beatrice Anwhistle."

"I'm Bertrand Baudelaire."

"Well Bertrand it's nice to meet you, but I'm afraid I have a taxi to catch. Perhaps I'll see you sometime soon..." I dropped my voice to a whisper, "Since we, um, 'run in the same circles.'"

"Oh yeah, that would probably be a better time to talk..."

He smiled his same charming but shy smile at me, and I stepped past him to head out the door. He seemed sweet and nice, he also looked like he wasn't too experienced at talking to women; not that such things bother me.

"Bertrand Baudelaire... perhaps I'll make it a point to ensure we meet up again..."

~End of Chapter!

It all started out so simply didn't it? :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

189 24 11
An unlikely stow-away is caught stealing food from the galley of one notoriously known Captain Sera Wright. When the crew begins debating the fate of...
13.3K 246 28
Hey guys, here is Part 2 of my first book After A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I hope to make this part more exciting and action packed than the las...
1K 103 26
"Sometimes the song you're looking for is right in front of you. The two genres may not be as separate as you imagine. You might be surprised by what...
655K 25.2K 123
MIRACULOUS SIMPLY THE BEST UP TO THE- okay I'll stop. But I love this show, and I wanna write my OWN one-shot book! SQUEALS! Enjoy the ride of Adrien...