Blooming Emotions

By Kthonia

"I asked him for it. For the blood, the rust, for the sin. I didn't want the pearls other girls talked about... More

Things You Need to Know
~Ποίημα
~Εισαγωγή
~Eνα
~Δύο
~Τρία
~Tέσσερα
~Πέντε
~Εξι
~Επτά
~Οκτώ
~ Εννέα
~Δέκα
~Δώδεκα
~Δεκατρία
~Δεκατέσσερα
~Δεκαπέντε
~Δεκαέξι
~Δεκαεπτά
~Δεκαοκτώ
~Δεκαεννέα
~Είκοσι
~Επίλογοσ
Thank You!!

~Éντεκα

464 12 0
By Kthonia

I blew out the air in my lungs while smoothing down the lace of my gown. The seamstress did a fantastic job. The skirt is my favorite part—it was snowflake lace with a layer of georgette that had tiny crystals dotting it. My gown shimmered like falling snow every time I moved.

These past two months flew by; now, in a couple of hours, I will be married.

Married.

Just a year ago, I thought it would never happen. Now, it was a breath away. The mere thought of marriage makes me giggle like an idiot.

"Do not get lost in your thoughts yet! We still have to do your makeup and hair!" Hekate's impatient voice broke me out of my mind. "Putting on the dress was only step one."

"Right. Sorry," I murmured. Hekate was one of the main persons to help me plan my wedding, and we became very close in time.

Dilys, Hekate's maid, led me to my vanity. Hekate wished to do my makeup while Sudie and Dilys did my hair. We agreed on a half-up, half-down design. They curled my hair and placed a diamond magnolia comb to secure the half-up part—a small bun made up of my side strands. Hekate did some hunting and found they made the comb in the 1960s—she declared it as my something old.

My something new is my bouquet. The gardeners picked the flowers fresh this morning. I selected magnolias, asphodels, and light pink daffodils. My something borrowed is a pair of simple, ivory pumps. Hekate lent them to me. And my something blue is on a lace handkerchief the seamstress gave me—she embroidered my name in blue thread.

"Do you like it?" Hekate spoke, putting on the final stroke of the eyeshadow brush. She did a spectacular job; she managed to highlight my eyes while making sure it looked natural.

I grinned. "It's excellent."

Sudie checked the clock. "We have half an hour, ma'am."

"Thank you, Sudie."

Sudie is my only bridesmaid because Hekate is my maid-of-honor. Sudie's dress was a deep purple with a halter neckline, and Hekate's is the same—except her dress has a layer of lace over the skirt. Hekate's bouquet had a magnolia in the center with asphodels around it; Sudie's bouquet had a magnolia, too, but pink lilies instead of asphodels.

Dilys left to join the audience, and the rest of us stayed back for a second. The sound of violin music drifted in from the other side of the garden's door. One by one, my best friends walked out to the alter.

I knew that I should be happy, but I couldn't stop thinking that my father can't walk me down the aisle.

I held back my tears—lest I ruin my makeup or give myself red and puffy eyes. Oh, God, not now!

"Now, why is the bride miserable, hmm?" a voice asked behind me—Charon.

I gave him a watery smile. "My father isn't here to walk me down the aisle. It's been a dream of mine since I was little."

"Don't worry; I am here to help!" he stuck his elbow out for me to take.

"You mean...?"

"Yes, I am going to accompany you."

"Thank you so much, Charon. You have no clue how much this means to me."

"It's my pleasure, Your Majesty." He winked.

With a deep breath, we pushed open the doors. I couldn't help but let an astonished gasp slip. It's snowing, and the white powder covered the pomegranate trees. It looks like a winter paradise! At the end of the aisle, a wooden altar stood. Cypress branches and asphodels snaked around the wood.

I took a step forward, praying that I wouldn't trip. Then another step. And another. I made my way down, bit by bit.

There he stood at the end of the aisle—my future husband.

"You are so enchanting," Hades whispered as he took my hands.

We decided to blend our cultures. As such, Hades and I will exchange rings—but not vows; In Greek Orthodox weddings, they don't say vows. I agreed to cut my hair, but we didn't bathe together before the ceremony. Nor did we sacrifice an animal. Cutting hair is something brides do as a part of the wedding.

Know that the bathing, cutting hair, and the sacrifices are from ancient Greece—not the present time.

I removed the comb out of my hair, and I turned from Hades. Hades produced a dagger. "Are you ready?"

I nodded. "Yes, but please don't butcher my hair."

I could hear the smirk in his voice. "Certainly."

Hades gathered up my hair, and, in one fluid motion, sliced through the strands. Hekate stepped forward and collected my locks in a cloth.

"Do I look hideous?"

Hades laughed and handed me a pocket mirror. My hair now brushed my shoulders instead of mid-back. This style will definitely require some adjustments. "You look even more stunning than ever," he whispered in my ear.

The rest of the ceremony went flawlessly. The snow fell softly around us the whole time. I had to remind myself that there was an audience because I focused solely on Hades—it was just him and me.

Then it was time for the feast. Traditionally, pork and beef are what the Greeks ate—so that is what we served. I did not eat the meat, though—being a vegetarian and all. I ate the side dishes: the figs, the olives plus various sautéed vegetables, and the cheese. For drinks, we had wine and water.

Usually, the men eat first, but we agreed not to do that, either.

The atmosphere was boisterous and joyful. Laughter bounced off the walls—although, that could be from the wine. I don't believe Hades took his eyes off of me for more than two minutes. But neither did I. I wished this night wouldn't ever end.

At the end of the meal, Thanatos signaled for a toast. "Attention, attention. We have some delightful news," Thanatos paused, and I cast Hades a confused look. Hades looked as bewildered as I did. "Hekate and I have come up with a way for the lovely bride to stay with her husband."

That got Hades' interest. "Oh? How?"

"Calantha has to eat a pomegranate. The seeds will bind her to the Underworld, and she won't be able to leave."

Hades grinned. "What a brilliant idea! Go and fetch some!"

Within minutes, there was a pomegranate in front of me. We cracked it open, spilling its magenta seeds. "How many do I have to eat?"

"Twelve. One for every month in a year," Hades responded. "Give me a moment to exile you so that the binding will work."

I carved out twelve seeds and swallowed them when Hades gave me the affirmative. The seeds tasted sweet but almost artificially. It was like the pomegranate was too enticing. I wanted to devour more of them, but I knew it was only a spell to trap me further. The fruit wanted me to stay here forever.

Tingles started in my mouth and lips, and they spread like wildfire to the rest of my body. Soon, the pins and needles turned prickly. It felt as if miniature knives stabbed every inch of me.

Hades noticed my distress and seized my hand. "I know it hurts, magnolia, but it will fade momentarily."

I wanted to reply, but I couldn't speak. I managed a small gurgle in the back of my throat. I noticed that I couldn't move my neck—the pricks paralyzed me in my seat. Hades ran his thumb over my knuckles, and I couldn't do anything to answer his affection. After what seemed like an eternity, the pain eased until dissipating altogether.

I collapsed back into my seat, gulping in air. Nothing seemed different—except this nagging feeling of something being off. Like you know something is wrong, but you can't figure out what.

"Your soul officially belongs to the Underworld," Hades said, his face solemn.

"Do you think we solved our problem? Is it gone?"

Hades kissed my knuckles. "I pray it is."

When I received news of my uncle's marriage ceremony, I laughed it off—initially. But then I remembered the hunt for my aunt's girl, and I put two and two together. My informant told me the ceremony would be in a week, and I decided to do a little digging into the matter.

My father would want to hear of this. So, I stopped in for a visit.

"Hermes," Zeus barked after I entered his study. "What do you want?"

"I have news regarding your bastard daughter. She is with Hades, and they're to wed next week."

He pushed the nymph off of his lap, and she scurried out of sight, correcting her shirt. "How did you come about this discovery?"

"One never reveals his sources, father."

"No matter. I want you to attend this wedding. You know that I am not allowed in my brother's kingdom without permission."

"Absolutely. But Hades will realize the second that I enter."

"Perhaps my brother will be too busy to comprehend."

"Perhaps. Is it too great of a risk?"

"Not in the least. Demeter will not stop nagging me to locate her daughter. The sooner she is back, the better. That woman makes my ears bleed. I haven't had this big of a headache since Hera tried to kill Heracles. Now, that was fun."

"Understood, father. I will disguise myself as a servant and report back to you immediately."

"And that is why you, my son, are getting the Underworld once I take care of Hades."

Hades and I took our seats on the Judgment Thrones. Hades grabbed my hand as the three kings filed into the grand room. The kings bowed to us—something that I haven't gotten used to yet.

"Μεγαλειότατε, Μεγαλειότατε," they greeted both of us.

I smiled as my first Judgment popped into my mind. It was the day after Hades agreed to help me learn my goddess gifts.

"Are you sure you want me to do this?" I chewed my lip. "I mean, what if I am super indecisive?"

"You will do wonderfully, magnolia. You need not even speak. I rarely do—only when I have input, do I disagree."

"You're certain?"

"Without a doubt."

Hades pushed open the doors. The sight surprised me—instead of the sole throne, a second throne accompanied it. The throne was a replica to Hades': silver with a black velvet cushion. It was marvelous! This palace still takes my breath away—there wasn't a single dull thing anywhere. Even the silverware is grand!

We sat down, and I bit back my sigh of content. These are a lot more comfortable than one would think! The double doors opened once more, and three men stepped into the room.

"Hello, Μεγαλειότατε. Miss," they spoke.

"Hello, King Minos, King Rhadamanthus, King Aeacus." Hades nodded at the men as he said their names. "Kings, this is my Calantha."

"We have heard many wondrous things."

"Thank you." I blushed. "It's nice to meet you."

All three men gave a curt bow before sitting at the table in front of us. Hades waved his hand to the immaculately dressed guards at the door, and they swung it open. A woman stepped through the threshold, anxiety in her gaze. Even from here, I could see the tremor in her clenched hands.

"Good morning," Hades said. "What is your name?"

"Aurelia, Your Majesties," she murmured. "My name is Aurelia Jane."

"What a beautiful name," I blurted out before I could stop myself. I mouthed 'sorry' to Hades, but he shook his head.

"Do not apologize," he whispered. "You are allowed to comment."

I nodded as Aurelia said, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

Aurelia kneeled in front of the three kings' table, awaiting the judgment. The kings began their discussion. "I say we give her Asphodel. There was nothing too great about her life."

"Hmm, yes, but she did help find that drowned boy when she was twenty."

I blocked out the men's words when I noticed Aurelia's reaction. With every new point brought forward, she curled further in on herself, and her knuckles grew whiter with every second passed.

"I'm going to go comfort her," I murmured to Hades. "She looks like she is going to pass out on us."

I stood before he could stop me, but Hades didn't respond. I stepped down from the dais—where the thrones sat—and approached the terrified woman. Aurelia didn't react to my presence, so I crouched beside her.

"Aurelia? Are you all right?"

She lifted her eyes to mine. "Yes, Your Majesty, I-I am fine."

I took her trembling hands into mine. "I don't think that you are. What's wrong?"

"I-I—" she inhaled shakily "—I am so terrified of getting Tartarus, Your Majesty. I don't want to spend eternity in pain."

"You won't—I can assure you of that. Listen to what the kings are saying. They speak of the good things you've done—nothing bad. You won't get Tartarus—I completely forbid it."

Hope sparkled through her irises. "Do you believe so, Your Majesty?"

"I know so."

Her grip on herself loosened, and she smiled softly. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

"It was no problem."

Hades grinned as I moved back to the throne, pride shining in his eyes. "That was a very regal thing of you to do, magnolia. Very regal, indeed."

I was about to deflect the comment when the three kings announced, "We give Aurelia Jane to the Fields of Asphodel."

Aurelia laughed in shock. She bowed once more. "Thank you, Your Majesties. I respect your decision."

"Magnolia, are you all right?" Hades jolted me out of my thoughts.

I faced him. "Yes. Sorry. I zoned out for a second."

"No need to apologize, magnolia."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 44K 64
Mother, let me tell you a secret Your flowers always died in my hands And I hated being the goddess of spring Something you could never understand...
140K 4.2K 29
In a time where monsters raged and immortals reigned, two star-crossed lovers fight every obstacle to be together. Persephone and Hades find themselv...
19.1K 430 19
"You can have anything you want," He plucked the ripest for me from the tree. "Everything in my world is yours." With all of my mother's warnings, I...