A Pirated Heart

By darkdemon125

Arabella Cartridge had her heart stolen and it wasn't metaphorically. Driven by the need for revenge against... More

Her Heart and Curse (Prologue)
Her Venom and Gunpowder
Her Secrets and Magic
Her Pain and Suffering
Her Brother and the Port
Her Family and Betrayal
His Reasoning and the Witch
His Choice and Sortega
His Decision and the Fog
His Close-Call and the Leviathan
His Honor and Belief
Their Past and Fight
Their Blood and Actions
Her Anger and the Leviathan's Fear
His Life and Their Relationship
Her Control and the Boy
His Feelings and the Pirate's Secret
His Confusion and the Witch's Plan
His Plunder and the Merchant Ship
Her Demand and the Fallout
His Declaration and the Discovery
Her Return and the Truth
His Heart and the Sea Goddess
Her Rage and the Plan
His Resolve and the Cave
Their Plans and the Battle
Her Heart and His Heart
His Rage and Her Fall
Their Bond
Preview and Announcement!
SEQUEL ANNOUNCEMENT

His Words and Alliance

13.6K 790 74
By darkdemon125

Arabella pulled her cutlass out of its scabbard. She knew her pistol would do her no good against the leviathan. She studied him for a moment. He was tall and lanky, but still covered in sinewy muscles. His skin was dark and tawny. He had black hair that in the light glistened with a bluish tinge.  His eyes were as dark and blue as sapphires.

“If I’m going to kill you, I should at least know your name.” Arabella remarked as she readjusted the sword in her hand. The leviathan chuckled.

“You are brave, girl. Very well, I shall tell you my name.” The man paused before he formally bowed.

“I am the Leviathan Ashik*.” Arabella stared at him, unimpressed by his namesake.

“I am Arabella.” She replied with any pomp or circumstance. Ashik smirked again as he started to prowl toward Arabella.

“Tis a shame you have angered her.”

“She did tell you I cannot die, correct?” Arabella’s question stopped Ashik as his smirk fell. His dark eyes met hers and found no hint of fear or anxiety. In fact he found nothing but mild anger.

“Magic and immortality?”

“It was my curse.” Arabella explained as Ashik’s eyes widened. He stared at the human girl in front of him.

“Curse?” Arabella nodded at Ashik. The urge to do battle against this creature died in his belly. She couldn’t have been older than a sapling, cursed by a malevolent being and yet, she had protected those men who had been with her.

“Why did she curse you?”

“For my heart. She stole it and cursed me so I wouldn’t die. Then she made me forget her face and lair so I wouldn’t be able to find her.” Arabella explained with a shrug. Her sword was still gripped firmly in her hand. Ashik watched her warily. It was clear the witch who had stolen their hearts had not told the leviathan just who or what his target was.

“Why is she coming after me now?”

“You’ve angered her. She claimed you’re interfering with her plans,” Ashik answered as Arabella scoffed.

“I cannot interfere if I do not know where or who she is, much less what her plans are.” The woman and leviathan stood in silence as her words hung heavily in the air. Ashik could see she spoke the truth.  So why had Maera sent him? He could feel anger build in his gut. The witch was toying with both of them. He had been a foolish young lad when he had met Maera and he had let her take one of his hearts, but he had a feeling this woman hadn’t been as foolish.

“Those men, why did they not attack you when I put the idea into their heads?”

“The youngest one is my brother. And the others are just stupid.” Arabella replied simply in a matter of fact tone. Ashik fought the urge to laugh. He could feel himself growing to like this vibrant young woman and that thought pierced him to the core. Leviathans had never liked humans and Ashik was bitter toward all women since Maera’s betrayal but this human woman was making him forget that.

“You believe they care for you?”

“Damien claims he cares for me; although, I have no idea why. The others are afraid of me.”

***

Kaden and Damien could hear their conversation echoing through the surrounding fog. They thought they’d be able to use it to find Arabella and the mysterious man, but so far they came up empty-handed.

“I am not afraid of her,” Kaden growled more to himself than anyone else. Damien chuckled from beside him.

“I know you’re not. You’re just stupid,” Damien replied as Kaden shot him a dirty glare. He was half-tempted to shoot the man for his insolence but the thought of what Arabella would do stopped him cold in his tracks. While he knew she couldn’t feel love for her brother anymore, Kaden knew she felt loyalty. After all, she had stayed loyal to Jarrus and then to Kaden even though he had angered her on a constant and irrational basis.

“Just in case you question me, I do love my sister. Very much.” Damien remarked before he started to walk ahead of Kaden.

“But why? You said you haven’t seen her you were eleven.” Kaden responded as he gave the man space.

“Before…that night, Arabella and I were so close that many speculated we were meant to be twins. Even when mother and father pushed her away and told her they never wanted her, only me, she was never bitter and she never blamed me. She should’ve. Had the tables been turned, I’m sure I would’ve hated her.  Instead, she loved me. When she left, I knew the lie my parents told me was just that: a lie.” Damien paused in his story to sigh.

“I couldn’t help her then. I was nothing but a child, but now, I can. Which is why I chose to go with her. I’m going to help her so she doesn’t have to be alone anymore.” Damien vowed as Kaden stared at his back. Damien’s words were so passionate and determined that Kaden had no choice but to accept them as truth.

“What if she cannot be helped?” Kaden asked suddenly as the thought struck him.

“I refuse to believe that. If that witch can steal Bella’s heart, we can steal it back. Bella deserves to be happy. She always has.” Damien replied resolutely. Kaden stared at his back.

What are you two doing here?

Kaden and Damien froze when Arabella’s voice invaded their heads.

“To save you!” Damien shouted as Kaden frowned. He could feel Arabella’s fury at her brother’s words.

I do not need you to save me. Get back to the ship and sail away.

“Not without you.” Damien growled as he looked around, searching for his sister.

Take my brother and leave, Lockes.

Kaden’s frown deepened before he twisted the corner of his lips up into a smirk. Damien turned to face him almost as if to challenge him.

“Like the kid said, not without you.” Kaden responded aloud, so Damien would know where he stood. He felt Arabella growl and it almost seemed to vibrate his soul. Damien nodded his head, pleased that Kaden had chosen to stand next to him.

Fools.

“Ah! We have company, beautiful Arabella.”

***

Arabella frowned when Ashik lifted his hand and flicked his wrist. She prepared herself to be flung, but instead she watched the fog lift itself and reveal Damien and Kaden only a few feet behind Ashik.

“You send them away and they come back. How very stupid,” Ashik remarked as Arabella glared at her brother and captain. The two men ignored her glare and pinned their weapons on Ashik. Ashik smirked before he flicked his wrists again and Kaden and Damien’s guns and swords were thrown from their bodies. Arabella stepped forward, intent to help them before Ashik’s laughter stopped her.

“You and your friends have intrigued me.” Ashik announced as Arabella frowned.

“Intrigued you?”

“Yes. Your plight and her…anger seems interesting and since I hold no loyalty to her, I want to help you.” Ashik replied as Arabella stared at him. Kaden frowned before objecting immediately.

“Why should we trust you?”

“I could’ve killed them and you know I could’ve, sweet one.” Ashik ignored Kaden and directed his words at Arabella. Ashik’s sapphire eyes met Arabella’s emerald and she sighed.

“It is not my decision, Leviathan. He,” Arabella paused to point at Kaden who stood glaring at Ashik, “is the captain of our ship. Talk to him and remove this ridiculous fog.”

Almost as if enraptured, Ashik smiled and the fog dissipated. Arabella sighed before she turned on her heel to inspect what was left of Sortega.

“Come along, brother. Let the captain and Leviathan speak privately,” she commanded without turning to face the three men that watched her. Damien glanced between Kaden and Ashik before shrugging and jogging to catch up to his sister. Kaden watched the Cartridge siblings head toward Sortega before he turned to Ashik warily.

“Why do you want to join us?”

“She intrigues me. I believe…she could win against Maera.” Ashik answered truthfully. Kaden frowned.

“Who is Maera?” he questioned as the name sound strange on his tongue.

“The sea witch who stole one of my hearts and that young girl’s heart.” Ashik tilted his head toward Arabella’s shrinking back. Kaden pressed his lips in a firm line.

“How would she win against her?”

“She could steal back her heart. Her heart and the magic she possesses could defeat Maera.” Ashik explained as Kaden felt hope swell in his gut. If Arabella had her heart, he could see her smile. He could see her happy. It was what she deserved. And as for stealing her heart back, it was what pirates were good at.

“And you would help her?”

“I hate Maera. She holds some power over me because of my heart, but as a Leviathan I have three, so her hold isn’t that powerful.” Ashik replied with a shrug. Kaden stared at him before he followed his gut instinct.

“You may join us. For Arabella’s sake.”

______________________________________________________________

Ashik means "flame" and/or "dagger." Either way, he's a weapon. A very dangerous weapon. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 1.2K 25
Ripped away from her prestigious life in London, 15 year old Noelle Park is subjected to her worst nightmares when she wakes up in Dacnella, a dreaml...
202 17 55
!THIS IS A FIRST DRAFT! IF YOU SEE ANY GRAMMAR/FORMATTING MISTAKES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Welcome to the world of Cigam, where magic is all over! The w...
911 90 27
My heart, which had been fluttering nervously in my chest, dropped to the soles of my feet. Familiar blue eyes met mine. In my dreams they were stee...
8.6M 262K 36
(The Trilogy is now complete) This novel was written in 2011 when I was 15 - I'm slowly editing but please forgive misspells , plot holes etc. Any s...