Primitive Instincts *revised*

By Minty1254

"Aspen?" My name came out as a purr, tumbling from his lips like something decadent and expensive. I jarred... More

Author's Note
The Hungry (Prologue)
Stone Lake
Better Late Then Never
The Gathering
Bring It On
Empty Bottles

Dinnertime

542 26 4
By Minty1254

"The Red Druids terrify me." 

Rachel's word stuck with me long after she left to go home. I sat in the pack house kitchen, half listening to Louisa chirp about the recent pack house drama. 

After my 20th birthday I decided I needed space from the domineering and suffocating pack affairs. I was over trying to use my position for the betterment of the pack, when what all the leaders really wanted were poster children. 

So I distanced myself and moved out into a cabin in the woods. Away from the hoax of a hierarchy fabricated here. 

The wilderness made sense. 

It was black and white, eat or be eaten, die or survive. 

I respected that. 

But I'd long for companionship. Making it difficult to stay away longer then a few months. 

"-With the closing of The Willington center, the pack now only has one training building. Alpha Bruno felt the extra space was underutilized, but there was still pack members who disagreed-" Louisa always knew how to fill silences, a trait I appreciated more and more. 

I was perched with my chin on my hand and elbow on the smooth marbled kitchen island in the center of the kitchen. Louisa was zooming back and forth from fridge to oven to cutting board and back again, chattering nonstop. 

It was rude that I wasn't listening but my mind was preoccupied on what Rachel had said a few hours earlier. 

The Red Druids of the far north. 

Infamous and legendary. 

Even before their new Alpha was appointed. Who only managed to inflate their fame tenfold. 

... And their territory. 

They were a war laced pack. Violence engraved into the bones of every pup that was born there. 

But none so deadly as their notorious leader. 

Hunter Kaye. 

The pack devouring, wolf of the undead, executioner's right hand or as he's most recognized as the shadow alpha. 

These names weren't undeserved, neither were they for sh!ts and giggles. 

But because when Alpha Hunter left his territory, another pack always disappeared within a single night. 

He swallowed whole towns and leave nothing but memories of them to be remembered. Then the Red Druids would set fire to the lands, burning away all traces of the previous owners before claiming it for themselves. 

And with that their reputation spread like the fires they lit. 

Stories traveling with it, stories of death and unspeakable horrors. 

But most of those were only just that. Stories.

However, I always wonder if maybe the worst of the bunch, the absolute most vicious, was the only one that played true. 

Thinking this when suddenly I heard footsteps approach and talking at the entrance of the kitchen. 

"Oh, Aspen!" My mother cried and I turned around to look at her. She was with the Alpha of our pack and another advisor.

Her hair was pinned neatly into a bun, without a single loose strand out of place. The clothes she wore were impeccable to match; a neat knee length charcoal pencil skirt and a mauve blouse. 

"I didn't know you'd be visiting today, not that I'm complaining." She smiled and rushed past her superior to give me a hug. 

"I missed you so much!" My mothers arms contracted around me like a python trying to crunch the life from it's prey. Her familiar scent surrounded me and as if it had sedative properties, made my body and mind relax.

"I missed you too." I hugged her back. She then released me and took a step back with a happy sigh. 

The silence that encased the room was thick with tension and I could smell the awkwardness on the Alpha and his advisor in response to my presence. 

I hadn't left on the greatest of terms and things have been precarious since. No doubt there have been discussions on exiling me from the pack. The only thing stopping the Alpha is my mother's position as beta. 

My mother, keeping her smile, looked at me patiently then so quick only I could see motioned her eyes towards the door where the two stood. 

Getting the hint, I conceded. "Good to see you again Alpha Bruno and you as well Garrett." My tone was pleasant, but a far cry from sincere. 

The Alpha tipped his head in response but watched me with baited breath, as if I might suddenly shift and attack. The charged eye contact I made with him was already unacceptable and it certainly wasn't out of character of me to question his authority.  

"Are you staying for dinner, hun?" My mother asked as if ignorant of the aggression being exchanged between the Alpha and I. 

Peeved, I begrudgingly broke eye contact and looked up at my mother. 

"I'm not sure, maybe if Louisa doesn't mind making extra." Looking back and grinning at Louisa who was still busily chopping onions. 

A snort came from Louisa. "Dear, I already had an extra chair and plate set up for you." 

My mother beamed. "Your father is going to be so excited. He misses you so much. He'll want to hear all about the adventures you've had since your last visit."  

I only smiled at her and out of the corner of my eye, glance over at Alpha Bruno who was now speaking with Garrett. 

Alpha Bruno was a careless submissive dog not cut out to be Alpha, just like his son Finney. 

They had no business being in charge of the future of this pack.

I was constantly worried for our future. 

At dinner I was seated fairly close to the head of the table, my dad on my right and an important pack member named Scarlett on my right. Across from me sat Fiona, Finney's mate, and in my opinion an airhead, but she was kind so I found her exceedingly tolerable. 

Dinner was presented by the staff and placed before me. 

The aroma steamed seductively and I remembered how much I missed Louisa's cooking. My mouth salivated excitedly and I began to dig in with the eagerness of a starved coyote. 

"It's probably been a while since your last well-cooked meal, huh Aspen?" I heard from the head of the table and saw Alpha Bruno smirked concededly. 

I swallowed the food in my mouth and took a sip of wine before clearing my throat. "While the wilderness is generous in some aspects, you are correct to assume it's lacking in certain comforts." I learned to speak like this from a young age. Careful and calculated. 

I quickly smiled and attempted to return to my food, believing the discussion to be over. 

"Then please explain your apparent infinity for it. We're all very curious." Always civil. Always restrained. 

All heads turned, their eyes wide with anticipation. 

I took another sip of wine thinking and smiled again. 

"Well... I'm not 100% certain, b-" A boisterous shout erupted from the head of the table. 

"Not sure. I thought as much." Alpha Bruno settled and stared grinning as if he'd won this game of decorum. "Pups nowadays are always so impulsive and extreme."

"But." I continued, pronouncing the word with extreme prejudice. 

I then quickly returned to my cool and calm voice. "I believe it has something to do with that out there only the strong rule." I eye the Alpha slyly, smirking now. "The weak simply become food. I respect the power and simplicity of this construct." 

"And you don't find that here?" The Alpha grimaced, noticeably becoming agitated by my words. 

"Well." I began and feigned a demure look. "As I said before. The wilderness is generous yet lacking in aspects, the same can be said of here. Generous. Yet. Lacking." And then innocently took a sip of my drink and returned to my meal. 

The not so subtle meaning of my words hung disturbingly amongst the pack members right until dessert was being served. 

Before anyone had the chance to dig into Louisa's famous lemon tartes, Finney stood up drink proudly outstretched in hand. 

"Everyone!" He called out. "Fiona and I have some exciting news." He smiled down at his mate, who stared up at him adoringly. I wondered how she saw him. If she believed he radiated power like an heir of an Alpha's suppose to, or just didn't care how frail Finney really was.

"After the events of the recent heat, we are now expecting not one but two pups!" Finney laughed warmly and leaned down to plant a peck on the blushing Fiona. Everyone cooed and awed at the news, the thrill of a new pup always brought joy and excitement. 

I gave a modest smile in solidarity, but then turned towards my dessert. Wanting to devour it before my stomach caught up with my brain.

"That's good news, huh, Aspen?" My dad grinned down at me. His eyes I couldn't recall ever holding anything but kindness. 

"Hmm." I muffled out between a bite of dessert. "The best." Covering my mouth, hoping I didn't send a flurry of crumbs everywhere. 

"Maybe soon you'll find your mate and start your own family." He sighed almost dreamily. It was no secret he was desperate to be a grandfather. 

I faltered in my chewing and paused, startle by his statement. "Maybe..." I said, dazed because my mind was elsewhere. 

After the initial commotion of the news died away, everyone regained their seats and cheerfully began eating. 

"Aspen, have you had any luck finding a mate?" Fiona asked sweetly, looking up at me from across the table. 

Normally, I would see this as a snide or hateful comment, but knew in this instance it was not. Fiona was the type of she-wolf who thought the world revolved around finding a mate and believed that everyone was same. 

I still couldn't help the slight bitterness that escape my barrier.

"No, unfortunately I have not been that blessed." Reaching for my glass only to find it empty of wine. Where had it all gone?

"Oh." She frowned and I could see the pity in her eyes that made something dark and toxic in me twist. "That's okay, you'll find them soon." She then smiled at me as if trying to invoke optimism in my search. 

"Maybe, Aspen, you'll meet your fated partner tomorrow at the gathering." Bruno again. Inserting his snake venom wherever he could. 

I knew what he meant. 

Everyone did.

"Wouldn't that be something." Bruno's eyes widened as if marvelled by the speculation as a milk curdling sneer curled his lips. "Our very own Aspen the long hunted mate of the Red Druid's Alpha." I sent daggers in my eyes, wishing they'd ensnare his treacherous tongue. 

Bruno faked a shiver. "The very thought thrills me to think." 

I glowered, knowing what kind of life he was imagining for me. One filled with fear and pain inflicted by the very person who was only suppose to give love. 

"Yes." I nearly whispered, afraid if I spoke any louder I'd lose control and try and cut the tongue out of his vile mouth. "Very thrilling, indeed." 

After dinner ended, the extended pack council left and the Alpha and his family retired to their bedrooms. 

I stayed up, it being far too early for me to even think about sleep yet. 

Louisa had made me some hot cocoa and a plate of graham crackers. My childhood favourite. 

I absent mindedly dunked a cracker into the thick beverage, too busy staring outside the large window in the reading room to notice the end sluff off into the drink. 

The nighttime had taken over and it made the nearby forest look like an endless portal of darkness. My eyes in skin form weren't spectacular at seeing in the pitch black, so I could only imagine what dwelled between the branches. 

I heard the steps of someone approaching, but didn't look to see who. 

"Aspen, there you are." My mother. "I've been looking for you." She said like she had been purposely hiding from her. 

"Well, you found me." I tried to say lightheartedly, but it came out more indifferent then I'd wanted. I then took a bite of my soggy graham cracker. 

"We need to discuss your behaviour with the Alpha." Her tone hardened and I sighed before turning around to see her standing with her arms crossed and eyes narrowed. 

"The disrespect at dinner was unacceptable." She settled, lips pressed into a thin line. 

"I know, he really needs to learn some manners." I agreed coolly, unwilling to be scolded for treating Bruno any other way then he deserves. 

My mother visibly flared, getting more frustrated. "I'm talking about you! You're acting completely uncivilized." I could see the vein in her forehead clearly defined. "Like we haven't raised you to respect your higher-ups and show some goddamn submissiveness!" She raised her voice and then let out a joyless laugh.

"Do you want to be a rogue? Is that what you want?" I could tell she was more scared for me then angry. "Because, Aspen, the way your going, that's not gonna be far ahead." 

I didn't answer. I never answer to her.

She let out a tired sighed and smoothed her hair. "I know fighting with you is useless. You don't listen to me, never have, and you'll always do what you want anyways." Obviously tiring of the one-sided assault she was leading. 

She fixed her composure, only now noticing the sharpness of her nails and glow in her eyes. In only a second they all disappear and I'm left with the professional well-kept Beta in front of me. 

"I've had to fight a lot to keep you here." She stared me straight in the eye and lips pursed. "Don't make it all for nothing."  

I watched her heels click on the floor as she promptly made her entrance. Leaving me alone with my now tepid cocoa and dark empty window.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.2K 1.4K 44
My dream continued the one I'd been having for the past couple of nights. I ran, gasping for breath, through the familiar woods from a dark figure be...
2.1M 50.8K 43
"You're playing a dangerous game, my darling. Don't speak of giving yourself to me if you can't back it up." he said lowly, a smirk still on his face...
122 7 5
I gasped sharply when, in the midst of it all, his long fingers penetrated me, causing my walls to clench around his fingers. The sensation was elect...
74.4K 2.6K 47
"I don't care that you're my mate. I will never... and I repeat, I will never be yours, Hunter." she grits her teeth, making Hunter smirk. "Is that a...