Dark Age Maiden

By tomboylatte

Lady Carina is the favored daughter of the lord of the manor. She boldly refuses to marry the man he chose fo... More

A dangerous trip
Meeting the Count, a man of power and intrigue
The price for his help
She and him before going into a battle
"To keep warm we sleep together."
She faced her attackers, sword drawn
Not easily won
What Carina wants
Her brother's news and a candlelight dance
Knights choice, and battle
She feared him, yet
Together, Carina and her knight
Night entertainment
Carina and Uberto together
Love scene # 1
An outing and encounter
She didn't want him to stop
A fight that did not go well
She wanted to strike him
The enemy conquest begins--safety for Carina?
Carina's terrible fear
Swordplay, absolution, and her decision?
Help, from the man she rejected
Fighting--the unfortunate dark man
The enemies' strength, Carina's white lie
Trying to make it right. Carina is not pleased
Knight training, fighting from horseback
Together again. He loves her.
Should she marry him? A soiree.
His new idea, and desire after sunset
A choice, but a true one?
Dubbing a knight. A blow to the heart
A new girl, but he can't forget HER
She falls to the ground, hurt.
From bed, she tries to save him
A battle to the death?
She would be her own person
A fest. Girls will be girls, and guys do what they do.
Medieval wedding blues and a terrible wedding night
Carina. Carina!
Captured. In the hands of the enemy.
Her rescue doesn't go smoothy
It just was not to be
Old fashioned funeral. Carina fears for Uberto
The famous Battle of Tours (or Poitiers)
What really happened in the battle. Carina's vow.
Back home to Carina
Carina begins to hope again
Important talk, and a life changing event
Sequel to Dark Age Maiden--Dark Age Woman
The real historical times of Dark Age Maiden

Excitement in town

26.9K 1K 24
By tomboylatte

Author note. For the daughter of a lord, who lived on a manor, a trip in the town is filled with excitement and new experiences. Some of them similar to, and others much different than towns today. If not interested in life as it was lived then, skip ahead to get to fighting, intrigue and attraction.

        He hesitated, and seeing the resolve in her countenance, made a slight bow. "I will let him know."

        Carina closed the door. Turning around, she clasped her hands together, happy she would soon bring relief to her embattled household. She prepared her few things for the morrow. Looking up where the sunlight entered the high room, she saw there were still many hours left until nightfall. She would need to do something to occupy her time. She glanced around the room and noticed a cabinet. When she opened the doors, she saw large and small books on the shelves. Most were old and dusty.

She opened one tome and then another before closing them. She couldn't read, at least not well, and she didn't want to spend her time trying to decipher what they were saying. Impetuously, she spun around in the elegant suite and let herself fall backward on the huge bed. Already she felt relieved. She believed Count Giancarlo's strong force would be able to break the siege, ending the hardship and lack of food her people had long endured.  Already the weight of her pent up fear was beginning to lift.

        As she lay on the bed, the light streaming through the upper windows called to her. She became enthralled with the idea of seeing the sights and sounds of Nice. Sitting up, she wondered if somehow she could. Were she only responsible for herself, she would leave Count Giancarlo's stronghold, dressed as a youth perhaps. However, she couldn't take the chance of meeting someone who might waylay her. Especially as everything depended on her leading Giancarlo tomorrow to her father's well hidden fortress.

        Putting aside her thoughts of  seeing the town, she went back to the bookcase. She pulled out several volumes, opening each one before selecting a book with larger lettering. It seemed the easiest to read. Her father had accorded her some education, far more than most girls received. Life had been too busy, and she realized she had already forgotten much of what she had learned.

Thumbing through the slender volume, she picked out a short selection. It was in Latin, of course, the only written language she had seen. Still, it was a far different Latin than that which was spoken. She read the words quickly, not understanding at first until it became clear it was a treatise on friendship. Then she read it slowly, beginning to understand at last what the author was saying. She heard a knock at the door. Without rising she answered, "Who is it?"

        "Giancarlo."

        She rose and went to the door, unlocking it.

        He glanced to where she had left the book on the bed. "Ah, you have been reading. Good. So few can anymore."

        "It's not easy for me but I have been trying."

        "I will do it for you. What are you reading?"

        "A book of Cicero, I believe. Thank you for offering, but you have important things to do, don't you?"

        "That is why I am here. To suggest we have dinner together."

        "I am not hungry yet, thank you." She looked at him, thinking in broad daylight she could trust him. "Would you show me the city?"

        "Gladly."

        As they exited through the heavy door, Carina felt her excitement rising. She had only once before been in a major town. They rounded the hulk of Giancarlo's stronghold, and the sights of the city came into view. She saw it was laid out in an oval pattern with the high defensive walls surrounding everything and the houses and shops lined right up to and against the walls. She and Giancarlo turned down a short street and immediately joined a bustle of people.

        Carina looked right and left at the many colorfully garbed people and at the shops, inhaling the redolent aromas. They passed the fishmonger store, with its own pervasive smell, and Giancarlo told her the owner's stock of fish came mainly from the Mediterranean. He said they could see its blue waters from the upper level of his stronghold as well as from the observation towers.

Carina didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the water. They began climbing the steps of the nearest tower. A guard was on duty, and he released the lock and opened the heavy door allowing them to take the narrow steps leading to the top. "Wonderful," she said, as she looked out over the Mediterranean's foam crested waves. Giancarlo pointed out the little port on the seaside, the small boats in the water, and the grapevines growing on the sides of the hills. 

        They walked down the steps of the tower to the street. Giancarlo showed her a narrow barbershop and lifted a hand in greeting to the short man who stood in the doorway in the absence of customers. "He will also remove a bad tooth or do a bloodletting if you need it," said Giancarlo.

        They passed a shop where a cooper was busy making a barrel, and then looked into the stalls of a greengrocer. Carina was impressed at the variety of vegetables, roots, herbs and berries  for sale.

        "Where does he get all this?" she asked.

        "He and his son are resourceful. Many they grow, some they find not far away, and others they import. If you see anything you like, it is yours. Here, try this one."

        She took the small green fruit from him and tasted it. "Bitter," she said, making a face. She continued looking through the bins of vegetables and fruits and selected a bunch of berries.

        "Don't you have a bag?" asked the greengrocer.

        "Add one to the bill, Franz," said Giancarlo.

        "Sire, for you there is no charge."

         They continued along the street, and Carina became more fascinated by the number and mix of people than the shops. She had never seen so many men, women and children wearing such varied and colorful clothing. Looking into a side street, she asked Giancarlo to stop so she could watch a swarm of children playing a game with hoops and balls. She didn't know the game, but it captured her attention for it was being played with a great deal of enthusiasm and yelling. Giancarlo pointed out to her the major object of the sport—throwing the ball through the rolling hoop.

         They walked past the shop of the soap and candle maker, and came to a textile store. There, Carina became completely engrossed in the shimmering fabrics. She pulled cloth from a bolt of costly red silk fabric, letting it slide through her fingers, then brought it to her nose, inhaling its light but distinctive aroma. She stopped at a bin of soft Marino wool, knowing it was expensive and hard to obtain. Looking up at Giancarlo, she said, "Ah, what I could do with yarn such as this on my loom."

        "They sell both fiber and fabric here," said Giancarlo. "Which would you prefer?"

        "You would buy it for me?"

        "Of course."

        Carina noted Giancarlo returned her rapt gaze with a smile of his own and saw he was quite disarming when he smiled. "Then I would have the yarn, please," she said. "I can  make my father a magnificent mantle with wool such as this."

        Giancarlo made arrangements with the tailor to have a bag of both the silk fiber as well as the fine Marino yarn delivered to him. He told Carina he would have it transported from there to her father's fortress.

        Giancarlo's mention of the fortress reminded Carina of the unresolved plight of her family. The merriment suddenly left her countenance and she lowered her eyes.

        Giancarlo saw the change in her manner and quickly affirmed that the yarn would be taken with them tomorrow so she wouldn't have to wait.

        "It's not that," she said. "I am enjoying the riches and excitement of your city while my family and people are besieged, trying to survive on roots, scraps and those few birds they can catch."

        Giancarlo turned to face her. He touched the underside of her chin causing Carina to look up at him. "Do not be sad, Carina. Tomorrow we leave with a large force to rescue your people. The state of your family and manor will soon be changed. Believe me. I promise it."

Barbers: No dentists then, so if you had a bad tooth, it was to the barber you would go for him to pull it. They didn't have nearly the sweets we have, so maybe their teeth were better.

Bloodletting: Believed up until the nineteenth century that letting out some of the "bad blood" was good if you were sick.

Colorful garments: People used natural dyes to color their clothes, by soaking them in water and dyes taken from plants, tree bark, etc.  Those living in towns often wore more colorful clothing because they could purchase the service of a professional dyer. Yes, that was their job.

Hope you find this extra info helpful. But, if you don't, that's fine. The story is the main thing.  Hope you like it so far.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fallen Kingdom By 𝙺&𝚁

Historical Fiction

33.8K 853 26
"You don't deserve her." "I know." Set in 1387, a place called Caelum. Full of 3 different kingdoms, rulers, people, all fighting for the same thing...
541 159 13
A sweet romance. A bitter realization. Lady Gwyneira must learn to accept that life isn't always perfectly written like a fairytale when she gets res...
440K 21.6K 102
She was the favored daughter of a medieval lord. He was a wealthy prince, a girl's dream. No one thought he would ever visit her father's little king...
8.8K 766 44
(Book One) Believed to be the descendants of Angels, the winged ones have ruled Engeldom for centuries, taking humans as their slaves. When Alina's c...