Paisley Higgs | (Sirius Black)

Oleh marauder-love

When Paisley Higgs is forced move from America to England the summer before her sixth year, she leaves behind... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter 1- Motorcycle Dude
Chapter 2- What the Hell is a Pukwudgie?
Chapter 3- I Was Not Spying
Chapter 4- Pity Party
Chapter 5- Field Trip
Chapter 6- You're Allowed To Call Me an Arsehole
Chapter 8- Are We... Good?
Chapter 9- Death Eater Cult Gathering
Chapter 10- Let's Find the Loo
Chapter 11- Concerts Suck
Chapter 12- I'm Terrifying
Chapter 13- Death Machine
Chapter 14- We just got here

Chapter 7- Border Collie Stare

1.5K 77 37
Oleh marauder-love

I sort of wish I had gone to the stupid dress shop.

Sports stores are always such a bore.

I know. I know what you're thinking. "But Paisley, don't you love Quodpot?! Didn't you steal a broom and get yourself pecked by a bunch of psychotic bluejays all because you wanted to fly?"

And you, of course, have brought up two excellent points.

But here's the thing you need to understand about all that... I only stole the broom because I wanted to be like Clemy. She was my big sister— my super cool, talented, awesome, big sister. Who wouldn't want to be like her?

I'd grown up hearing stories about how she was a natural athlete— from the second she rode her first broom at the tender age of three. I'd watched, nestled in my mother's thunderbird blanket in the roaring stands as she soared through the sky at her school games, golden hair flying behind her, zooming past the opposing team to dunk the game winning Quod in the pot just as the buzzer blared. I'd seen the looks of pride on my parents faces when she'd run onto the field with her sparkling white smile and misty blue eyes.

A look of pride I'd never been able to inspire.

My parents had the good sense to keep me as far away from flying objects as possible growing up; I was as accident prone as kids came— but part of me always wondered... if they had let me fly when I was younger, like they had with Clemy, maybe I would have been good at it too.

But we all know how that plan worked out.

With me. In a tree. Being pecked to death by angry pink bluejays until a confused, but kind little boy wearing patched up overalls, climbed off his bike and up said tree to save me.

Matty hadn't stopped saving me ever since.

Which brings us back to why I love Quodpot. I love it because Matty loves it. It's really as simple as that. It's also the reason I got into comics— because Matty was obsessed with them.

But the name of that shop I was stuck in wasn't Quality Quodpot Supplies... it was Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Quidditch. A stupid, complicated game with no explosions, which I had absolutely no emotional investment in, nor any desire to understand.

I kept my opinion of the sport to myself, however, as I walked in Sirius's shadow through the rows and rows of broom detailing kits, protective equipment, and memorabilia. No need to needlessly drum up any enemies.

After what felt like hours (but was probably more like forty-five minutes), Sirius finally decided what he was going to get. He set a round, metal contraption— which he had explained was a compass of sorts— and a pair of expensive, top-of-the-line, specialty, dragon-hide gloves on the old wooden counter.

The store clerk, a stout boy, a little older than us with brown hair, a crooked nose kind of like Matty's, and tons of freckles like me, eyed the items for a moment then looked up. "Black..." he said, picking up the gloves trying to hand them back. "These are chasers gloves."

(Oh, the clerk was also Scottish. Forgot to mention that part.)

Sirius seemed like he was trying very hard not to smile. "Excellent observation, Wood."

"No, didn't ye hear me? You've got chasers gloves here—"

"Exactly."

"No—but they won't—" Wood caught the mischievous glint in Sirius's eyes the same time I did, though it must've made more sense to him. "Och! You've got to be kiddin' me!" He threw the gloves back on to the counter. "No! No, you've got to be barmy if you think I'm sellin' you chasers gloves!"

Sirius seemed expectant, a smirk now threatening to pull at his lips. "I don't think you have much of a choice, mate."

The clerk rolled his eyes. "You're just taking the mick, aren't ye? Tell me you're buying these for Potter."

"I don't know why I would..." The corner of Sirius's mouth twitched. "Considering James is going for Seeker next season—"

"HE WHAT?!"

The sheer volume of Wood's words startled me and I took a step back, bumping into a jingling display full of keychains for a bunch of teams I'd never heard of. It sort of hurt. Sirius look back at me, amused and entirely unsympathetic, then turned back to the clerk, even more amused. "We really don't have all day, Wood, so if you could please—"

"SEEKER?! OF ALL THE—THAT SHOWBOATING DOLT! HE'S GOING TO RUIN THE TEAM I SPENT FIVE YEARS PERFECTING—"

"Wood, you're scaring Higgs."

"WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!"

"Captain, I'd assume."

"HIM? SEEKER?! MERLINS BALLS—OF ALL THE FUCKED UP—" Wood cut himself off and looked at me, shamefaced, a blush creeping up his neck. "Em... Sorry for the language, Ma'am..."

"Oh... um..." I tucked my hair behind my ears and crossed my arms over my chest, surprised he remembered I was there.

Sirius shook his head, reaching in his pocket. "Can you just let me pay you already?"

Wood scowled at Sirius, then took a deep breath, pressing buttons on the cash register as he muttered under his breath. "Chaser? You? I just can't believe it... Eleven Sickles."

"Got change for a Galleon?" Sirius smirked, flipping the golden coin in the air.

Wood seemed personally offended and snatched the coin mid-air, fiddling with the register once again. "I expect Marls had an absolute cow when you told her."

Sirius stiffened subtly at my side, pausing before answering. "Hasn't come up, actually."

Wood paused, eyes wide. "You haven't told her yet?"

"She'll get over it," Sirius said, a definite bite to his voice.

Wood glanced from me to Sirius, raising an eyebrow. "Where is Marls?"

"Does it matter?"

Seemed like it did.

Wood spared a long puzzled look at me, that made me very much wish I'd gone to the stupid dress shop once again, then turned back to Sirius. "Did you two...?"

I followed his gaze, stomach sinking for some inexplicable reason...

Sirius tapped his fingers on the counter. "I haven't got all day, Wood."

Wood's eyebrows rose, still puzzled, but after a few clicks and dings, returned Sirius his due change. "Need a bag?"

Sirius grabbed the metal compass thing and the gloves and stuffed them in his jacket pockets. "Nah, I've got it."

Wood took a long breath, scratching the back of his neck. "Good luck with chaser—I mean, I still think you're off your rocker to go for anything but beater—but cheers all the same."

Sirius let out a hoarse laugh. "See you around, mate— C'mon, Higgs."

I followed after him, mind buzzing with questions as we walked back onto the cobbled street...

"You know that guy?" I asked even though it was obvious that he did.

Sirius's eyes squinted in the sunlight. "Wood just graduated— he was Gryffindor quidditch captain for ages."

Okay, that made more sense.

"Why was he so mad?"

He laughed. "Because he hasn't got a life of his own to obsess over..."

"That's a little rude."

"He's a little rude."

I made 'The Face' and Sirius sighed. "A few of the old players graduated along with Wood, so James and I are both trying out for different positions on the team this year. But Wood has a hard time with change... Takes shite like that really personally."

Alright, this was making more sense... There was only one thing I still didn't understand. "What'd he mean with all that stuff about Mar—"

"I'm hungry," Sirius said, ignoring that I was speaking. "Mind if we pop by the Leaky Cauldron for a bite?"

Yes. I did mind.

Just like how I minded that he was intentionally avoiding my question and talking over me.

However, the words that came out of my mouth were, "Sure... why not..."

***

"You should try the bread pudding— it's the best around," Sirius said, face hidden behind an old and tattered menu.

I hummed in acknowledgment, continuing my search for chicken tenders. That was always my go to meal when I went to restaurants back home or on the weekends with Matty. Every place had it and it required no special accommodations for my picky eating sensibilities.

Then I remembered I forgot my coin purse.

Shoot.

I never did find the chicken tenders, so maybe it was for the best...

I put my own menu down on the sticky table waiting as Sirius flipped back and forth, trying to decide what he wanted.

"Ready to order?" a waitress asked, pulling out a notepad from her apron. She was young and tan, with brown eyes, and blonde hair tied into a high ponytail— also, she seemed pretty tired. She looked without expression from me to Sirius, then took a double take. "Sirius Black, is that you?!" she exclaimed.

Good gravy, was there anyone this boy didn't know?

Sirius put down the menu with a forced grin. I know it was forced because it was the same sort of look he used back at the ice cream shop when he was talking to the others— the kind that didn't really reach his eyes— not that I was noticing the way he smiled... or his eyes...

"I didn't realize you worked here, Maisie."

The girl giggled. "It's my first week."

"That would explain it... "Sirius said with a forced chuckle (again, not that I was noticing the way he chuckled— it was just obvious... to me, at least. Maisie totally bought it).

The girl sort of stared at him with a dreamy smile for a moment before remembering that she was supposed to take our orders. "Oh, um... what can I get you? The pea soup is really bad today— so I wouldn't get that if I were you. I mean you can get whatever you want— Obviously—Its just that this old guy kept saying it gave him gas— but that could have just been because he was old— and I mean obviously you can get whatever you like— I just— "

Irritation flashed across Sirius's face for the briefest moment, making his brows scrunch together and eyes narrow— but it was gone a second later— back to the forced smile. "I'll have Bangers and Mash with a butterbeer— and some bread pudding on the side," he said, handing her the menu back.

The girl blinked rapidly, then fumbled to scribble down his order on her note pad. "Bangers and Mash... butterbeer... and... and..." There was an awkward pause and she tapped her quill against the note pad, racking her brain for the words he just said, growing more and more flustered and embarrassed by the second.

Bless her heart.

The silence stretched much too long and I got the impression he was enjoying watching her suffer.

"Bread Pudding," he said at long last.

She let out a sigh of relief and brought her hand to her head in a 'duh' fashion. "Right... Bread pudding... Anything else?" she asked, looking up at him.

He smiled politely. "Well... whatever Paisley's getting, of course."

I think Maisie forgot I was there. It happens more often than you would expect.

She looked at me, puzzled. Disappointed.

"Um... I'm not going to get anything actually..." I said, tucking my hair behind my ears and looking back at Sirius. He seemed confused. "I forgot my coin purse..." I added quietly.

"Oh, don't worry about that!" he said, waving his hand dismissively. "Go on and order."

Maisie's brow furrowed as her brown eyes moved from Sirius to me.

"Sirius..." I hissed, face heating up. "I don't think you understand— I don't have any money—"

"I've got it. Just order the damn food, Higgs."

I gave him 'The Face™' for cursing at me which prompted nothing in him but an impatient nod towards the menu.

I didn't really want him to pay for all my stuff... but I was also sort of hungry... And this was all his idea anyway...

I could only imagine how this looked to poor Maisie though.

She seemed to be putting on a brave face despite her disappointment.

Since there were no chicken tenders I went with my British backup. "Fish and chips, please— and a Doctor Pepper."

"Fish and chips..." she muttered, writing the order down carefully. "And a... a what?"

"Um... Doctor Pepper?"

Her face was blank.

Of course they didn't have Doctor Pepper here...

"On second thought... maybe just a sweet tea?"

Her face had graduated from blank to downright confused. "Sweet... tea?"

Sirius's mouth quirked at the corner and I had the urge to kick him under the table. I didn't though. Ten points to Paisley.

"Um... Yeah... Its iced tea... only with sugar..."

"You want Ice... in your tea?" she asked, mildly horrified.

"Uh... yes?"

She was still confused, but scribbled down the order regardless. "Suit yourself..." she muttered. then turned her attention back to Sirius. "Anything else?"

He forced a roguish smile once again. "I think we're all set... Thanks, Maisie."

Then he winked.

And Maisie did her best not to swoon.

She walked off blushing as he chuckled under his breath.

The second she rounded the corner to the kitchen, I kicked him under the table .

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You know good and well what it was for!"

"Again, you could act a little more grateful the next time a bloke buys you food—"

"You were flirting with her!" I said grumpily.

Sirius at least had the decency to act surprised... Then he smirked— a true smirk this time—raising an eyebrow. "Jealous?"

I kicked him again.

"Bloody hell woman, that hurts!" he grumbled, smirk gone.

"You flirted with her even though you have no interest in her!" I said, giving my best scowl.

Sirius rolled his eyes, and ran a hand through his hair. "And how do you know I'm not interested?"

I didn't.

I don't even know why I was having this conversation. It was sort of an impulsive thing.

Maybe he did like her... maybe I was reading this all wrong... They actually knew each other after all— probably better than Sirius and I knew each other.... Good Merlin, I was being ridiculous and presumptuous and I must've sounded like I was actually jealous— which I wasn't...

But then he smirked when he thought I wasn't looking and I knew I was right.

"You're not." I crossed my arms over my chest, staring him down in that unwavering way Matt's Border Collies stare down the cows on his farm. Daring them to make the next move— to call their bluff.

To his credit, Sirius held out for an extraordinarily long time, much longer than Matty ever did, but finally looked away with a loud breath, waving his hand in an elegantly dismissive way. "Well I'm an arsehole, what do you expect?"

"That's a crappy excuse and you know it."

"Oh get off your high horse, Higgs. It's not like you're any better—"

"Excuse me?!"

Sirius rolled his eyes, looking positively un-handsome. "I heard the howler your boyfriend sent you, remember?"

"Matty isn't my boyfriend!"

Sirius was unconvinced. "Regardless, what kind of person— nay, what kind of arsehole ignores their best friend for three weeks?"

Woah. Low blow.

I have no idea if my cheeks were heating up because I was embarrassed or because I wanted to hit him. Probably both. "I— that wasn't— you don't— You don't know anything!"

"I know more than you," he laughed humorously. "At least I didn't flunk all my exams."

My breath caught in my throat.

His words hung in the air... ringing in my ears.

He wasn't holding back any punches.

And that's what it felt like.

Like I'd been punched right in the gut.

I had already assumed that James told him about my situation... but to throw it in my face like that?

He really was an arsehole....

I got up from my seat, muttering a "screw you," which was probably the closest I'd ever got to cursing someone out, and rushed towards the big fireplace James and I had arrived there in. There was a painful lump in my throat, tears already beginning to fall. I had to get out of there. I'd already been mortified enough for one day.

I looked around and saw some Floo-powder sitting on the mantle in a clay pot— which to this day I am convinced was an act of God—grabbed a handful then nearly tripped getting into the fireplace.

The two last things I saw before the world went green and I zoomed back to our boring cottage in Godric's Hollow was Sirius running after me, and behind him Maisie, placing a bowl of sugar cubes, a tall glass of ice, and a steaming cup of tea on the table.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

12.4K 561 15
Two boys. One with a supposedly perfect nerdy life and living out his college years in a flat he shares with his two best friends, astronomy PhD and...
776 40 4
To simply put it, Olivia Randaloff was sick and tired of the way James Potter treated her best friend, Lily Evans. After years of him refusing to lea...
50.5K 1.9K 110
Juliette Potter is finally at Hogwarts with her favourite person in the world, her brother! They have been together since the start of the time and n...
3.7K 67 21
|*|*|WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST|*|*| (Over 100k words; Completed - 4/2/2021) Lily's cousin, Jasmine, comes to live with Lily and her family after somethin...