My Cowboy, My Hero

By Sara_Elizabeth1990

As one of Georgia's most successful ranchers, Rhye Collins doesn't have time to even consider dating, but tha... More

My Cowboy, My Hero
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chaptr Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Back to School
Dumb and Dumber
Chapter Forgiveness
Strong

Chapter Four

42.5K 1.2K 203
By Sara_Elizabeth1990

Dedicated to a huge fan!
-------------------------------------------------

Rhye pulled his blue pickup as close to his house as possible. Katrina had fallen asleep again and he could tell by the dark circles under her eyes she needed to rest. He put his truck in park and laughed at the men when they rushed out of the backseat and into his house. It was a well known fact his momma would be inside with a midnight dinner ready. He stepped out and allowed himself a small stretch before opening Kat's door and lifting her into his arms. He loved the way she felt pressed to his chest.

He stepped onto his large porch and before he could even open the door, his mother rushed outside.

"Aw, she is precious." she whispered as she looked at Katrina.

"She is." Rhye agreed as he carried her through the door and into the guest bedroom. He placed her in the bed and wrapped the thick brown bedding around her. He took a minute to admire her beauty.

He turned around and was instantly embraced by his sister. He hugged her back and kissed her cheek.

"I missed you." she mumbled into his chest.

He smiled into the top of her head. "I missed you too."

Rhye and Caitlin has always been close. They never argued when they were younger, like most siblings do, from day one Rhye had the urge to protect her and she loved him deeply for that.

"How was school today?" he asked her as he led them from the room.

"I skipped." she mumbled.

"Caitlin, didn't we already talk about that?" he asked.

"Yes, mom said you would be the best one to handle it."

"I agree. I think you already know what I am going to say. Rhye said as he sent her a gentle look.

She looked down and he lower lip trembled, making Rhye feel bad. He loved Caitlin, but since his sister's -Caitlin's twin- death two years ago, she had began a downward spiral. Her lastest struggle was being placed on academic probation for missing too many days and failing too many classes.

Rhye sat down on the couch in the living room and motioned her over. When she was in reach her took her hands and pulled her to him. "You know I am not hard on you to be mean, I just want you to push yourself. I am very disappointed that you skipped again and I am even more disappointed in your grades. I gave you the guest house to live in, so you could prove your maturity, but if you don't pick up your grades and show me that you are making better choices, I will take it back perminatley. For now though, I am taking it back for the rest of the semester. In the morning you need to gather your things and bring them here. You can stay with me and Katrina." he said. He knew it would be too much for her to go back to their mothers house since Heather passed.

She nodded and started to turn away, but Ryhe grabbed her and wrapped her in a hug. "I still love you." he reminded her.

She gave him a tearful smile. "I love you too."

Rhye watched her as she stepped out into the cold air. He hated taking back something that she was so proud of, but he refused to let her ruin her future.

He shook his head of the feeling of guilt and walked into the kitchen. He was automatically met with the smell of peach cobbler and fresh baked ham.

"Hmmm" he moaned as he breathed in the smell.

"You know my favorite boys always get the best." his momma said with a smile.

He hugged her and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before taking the plate she was offering.

"We already said grace." Max informed him as he took a seat.

"So..?" his mother asked, obviously referring to Katrina.

"So?" he asked in forced innocence.

"Rhye Andrew Collins, it isn't nice to play games with your poor ole' momma." she said in true southen fashion.

Rhye and the rest of the men laughed.

"Her name is Katrina Marie Davis. She was in a group home for young women. She was going to be kicked out next week, unless she could convince some man she was worthy of marriage, which she was convinced she was useless for. I don't know what possessed me, but the thought of her marrying someone else bothered me more than I care to admit, so I asked her to marry me and she agreed. Then on the way home Tyler mentioned she had other options than just becoming my wife, when I mentioned those to her she declined them and admitted she want's to marry me as much as I want to marry her. She knows she can make a great wife if she can just have a little time to find her talents." Rhye said between bites of ham.

"Aw that poor dear. Of course she can have some time." his mother fretted.

Rhye nodded. "That's what I told her." he mumbled through his mouth of mashed potatoes.

"Rhye! Use some manners." Mrs. Collins scolded.

"She has really bad anxiety and a skin and hair picking disorder." Joe reminded Rhye.

"mhhhh"  Rhye mumbled again as he bit into a roll. He knew he was rushing through all of this, but he wanted to eat so he could get back and check on Kat.

"Chew boy!" his dad reprimanded as he walked into the house. "and why are you sitting at the table with your hat on?"

"Because this is my house and I can do as I please." he said as he shoved another roll in his mouth.

"This is my food and I can do as I please with it as well." Mrs. Collins argued.

"Rhye take it off!" Tyler and Taylor begged.

"She is going to take the food." Max cried as he shoveled butter beans in his open mouth.

Rhye sighed and pulled his hat and set in on the table.

"Thank you!" Tyler, Taylor, Max and Joe all exclaimed as they continued eating.

He shook his head. He swore he could pay these boys with his momma's cooking.

"So, what is this I hear about you bringing home a woman?" his dad asked with a coy smile.

""Her name is Katrina Davis. She was in a group home for young women. She was going to be kicked out next week, unless she could convince some man she was worthy of marriage, which she was convinced she was useless for. I don't know what possessed me, but the thought of her marrying someone else bothered me more than I care to admit, so I asked her to marry me and she agreed. Then on the way home Tyler mentioned she had other options than just becoming my wife, when I mentioned those to her she declined them and admitted she want's to marry me as much as I want to marry her. She knows she can make a great wife if she can just have a little time to find her talents." Rhye repeated. He was begging to learn the little speech by heart.

"How are you going to work with her anxiety?" Mr. Collins asked.

"I am thinking about using the therapist we used after Hea.... ummm, the therapist we all used when we went to counseling. I figured I would make her an appointment tomorrow."

"Today, It is fifteen past three." Max corrected.

Rhye nodded.

"I know you aren't going to keep her here with you. That will ruin the poor girls reputation." his momma scolded.

"No, I am not. I already told Catlin  to stay until we were married or until she gets her grades up." he said with a roll of his eyes.

"Roll you eyes at me again boy and see what happens." his momma warned as she raised a wooden spoon.

Rhye laughed despite her seriousness.

"It's been a long trip and I am tired and worried about Kat. I am sorry." he apologized when he saw hurt flash across her eyes.

"made you a dinner... didn't have to... no respect..." he heard her mumble playfully under her breath.

He shook his head at her antics, but found himself wishing Katrina would have a wild side like his momma.

He stood up from the large oak table and excused himself after he thanked his mom for dinner.

He stepped back into the room Katrina was in and smiled when he saw she was still sleeping. Her pale skin contrasted with the darkness of the sheets, giving her an angelic look.

He heard the floorboard behind him creek and he looked up to see his dad.

"She is beautiful." his dad admitted.

Ryhe nodded. "I just wish she could see it."

"She will over time. It is amazing how a woman can blossom with some love."

"I think she is going to be strong willed once she finds herself." Rhye said with a chuckle.

"Has she been fiesty?" his dad chuckled.

"Only once. She is normally very guarded, but she was more open then. I got a small glimpse at her personality and I loved it."

"I am proud of you. I know you don't understand your reasoning behind it, but God does and I am sure he is proud of you as well."

"Thanks dad."

"Does Katrina share your faith?"

"Yes. I am very thankful for that."

"As am I. It is great to have a partnership with God."

Rhye nodded. "I am looking forward to finding out."

"Well, I will let you be. I know you probably need some rest. I looked up the therapist's number, it is on the counter for you."

"Thank you." Rhye said as he turned to hug the older man.

"You are welcome. Let me know if you need anything else."

"Do we still have that soft blanket set of grammies?"

"I think so, why?"

"I am worried this blanket is too rough for her skin."

Mr. Collins laughed, causing his gray hair to hall from his hat. "You have it bad huh?"

Rhye threw his head back. "I really do."

"I will see if I can find it and I will bring it over tonight after I take a load to the market.

"Thank you."

"No problem. I am really glad God sent her your way. It is nice to see this side of you." he said with a smile.

Ryhe walked into the kitchen and after assigning chores for later in the day, he went to his own room and crashed. It had been a great but exhausting day.

Noon:

Katrina rolled over and bumped into something soft. She forced her eyes open and was met by an abundance of white fluff. She realized it was a pillow.

She sat back on the bed and said a prayer of thankfulness for Rhye. He had been nothing short of a gentleman towards her and he had succeeded in making her feel safe, something she hadn't been in a while. She would never tell anyone, but life with her mother was far from perfect. Her mother was always convinced someone, somewhere was after her. There was conspiracy and conspiracy stacked up against her, or so she was convinced. They had never stayed in a place more than a few days and often they resorted to sleeping in their car. Even though the group home was horrible, as least it had provided stability for a long while.

Katrina was brought back from her thoughts when someone knocked on the door. She looked up to see a freshly shaven Ryhe, and boy was it a sight. He was wearing dark jeans and a blue form fitting shirt. Thanks to the said shirt, she could see how his muscles rippled when he moved.

"Mornin' darlin'" he said. His southern drawl made her smile. She didn't think she would ever get tired of hearing him speak. She could feel the blush creeping up her face at that thought and she grimaced. She was developing a huge crush on her soon to be husband. Ironic right?

"Good Morning." she replied as she sat up.

"How did you sleep?" he asked as he closed the distance between them and sat on the bed.

"Good sir."

He sighed and fell backwards on the bed.

"I thought we were over that!" he whined in melodramatics, causing her to laugh.

"Good Rhye." she said, fixing her previous statement. "My pillow fort kept me safe."

He turned his head slowly and grinned sheepishly. "I was worried about you." he admitted. "I went to bed and then I got worried you might fall off, so I found all the pillows I could. I know it was silly, but I am very pleased to see it worked."

She smiled. "It was very thoughtful."

"I was sent in here to tell ya'll breakfast is ready." Caitlin whispered from the door causing them both to look up.

"Come here Cat." he told Caitlin.

"I am here." Katrina looked at him in confusion.

Rhye laughed. "I can see nicknames are going to be confusing. From now on I shall call you baby Kat." he directed and Katrina.

"but.. but..." Kat argued.

"I am bigger than you." Caitlin said pushing her chest out.

"One day I will grow up." Katrina said as she raised her fist in the air in false bravo.

Caitlin laughed at her antics, but Rhye watched her with adoration. She was so amazing.

"I want you to me my baby sister Caitlin, Caitlin this is... Katrina." he said as he searched for a proper way to introuduce Kat.

"It is nice to meet you." the girls said as the same time, making them giggle.

"Come on love, I better feed you before momma comes back here." Rhye said as he reached over and helped Katrina up.

"Do you like pancakes?" he asked.

She nodded. Her statement was confirmed by her stomach growling.

He chuckled as he fixed her plate and set it in front of her.

"Do you want to say grace?" he asked her.

She looked at him in shock. "I can pray?"

"If you want to love."

She smiled and bowed her head. Dear Lord, we thank you for this food and ask that you bless it into our bodies and our bodies into our service. I thank you for sending me Rhye and for giving me the chance to be a great wife. Amen."

Rhye chuckled to himself. She had no idea he had prayed a very similar prayer this morning, the only difference was he thanked God for sending him Kat and giving him the chance to be a great husband.

___________________

Comment "Max" if you liked this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

895K 33K 41
Wade smiled at her, and their eyes met. Aubrey held her breath as she studied his sapphire eyes, so deep and so bold. If only they didn't look as if...
223 44 42
Sadah is hiding many secrets,thoughts and mysteris in her head.And fortunately she want's nothing to do with anyone except study and keeping her moth...
2.7M 96.6K 38
Flannery Moore decides to take a year off of college and put her ambitions to be a voice teacher on hold to stay home amd keep her parents marraige f...
8.1K 776 22
** Picks up where The Edge of Hell (Mitchell Brothers Series Book One) left off** If there's one thing Declan Mitchell learned from watching his mama...