The Mix-Up

By Megzcat

Having given up on finding the man of her dreams, Theodora Thompson, decides to become a single mother via an... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Black Lives Matter

Chapter Six

5.5K 216 55
By Megzcat

Teddy was having second thoughts. She never should have agreed to this. Sure it was only an Easter lunch with Alec and Stephanie, and it wasn't like she had other plans. But it had been a lot for her to get the girls ready and out the door. She needed to pack a bag with a couple changes of clothes, all their toiletries, a couple toys. It was never easy getting two preschoolers out of the house and on a three-hour car ride.

All she could say about this was it better be worth it. This was hopefully going to appease Stephanie and help them all to move forward in harmony. Truth is told however she wasn't planning on making these city visits a regular occasion, this needed to be something special.

The streets of downtown Toronto was packed – you'd think with it being a holiday there would be some calmness to the traffic. But it seemed she was wrong. The streets were as busy as ever – possibly even more so than usual. She had gone around the block twice before she was able to find a park spot, and it was still a walk to Alec's apartment.

With a sigh she got out and round the car to assist with the girls. Keeping her eye on them she swung her bag over her shoulder and made a face. "Somebody needs a change" she mumbled. Lifting Charley onto her hip she reached down and held Joey's hand. "Lets go see Alec okay?" she cooed heading up to the building.

Absent-mindedly she tugged at the door, but it wouldn't budge. With a frown she gave it another pull, but again nothing. If Alec knew they were coming why would he have locked the door?

"Momma, there's a button" Joey gave her hand a tug and pointed to the sidewall where buzzers were lined up on display. Written beside each button was a name and apartment number.

Teddy approached it curiously. She had never been to an apartment before. Reading along the names she located Alexander Daddario near the top – by these numbers he was on the top floor. She gave the button a press. A few seconds later the males voice rang through.

"Hello?" Alec asked, his voice sounding rather tired.

"Hey Alec" Teddy answered. "It's me and the girls."

"Come on up" Alec responded. The buzzer sounded giving the mother and two children the chance to enter. For a moment she glanced around and moved towards the elevator. Loading the kids up the mother eyed the buttons. Why did elevators this tall skip floor thirteen? Wasn't there still technically a thirteenth floor? Anyways she pressed the top level and felt her eyes pop on the way up.

There weren't as many apartments lining the hall as she had suspected. Hopefully that meant the Daddario family lived in a larger than usual place. At the end of the hall was a single door propped open. Assuming that was the place she moved forward and lightly knocked.

"I'm so glad you made it!" Alec cheered stepping into the doorway. He opened it and let the girls inside. "Make yourself at home."

Glancing around Teddy found that the open space wasn't much of what she would classify as home. Her place was filled with warm colours and cozy rugs, over stuffed sofa's and toys scattered everywhere. This place was cold and rather clinical. It was all eggshells white, with cold tile flooring, no art on the walls and a lack of comfortable seating. This apartment looked more like one that was staged for selling; it showed no signs of having been lived in.

"Thank you for having us" Teddy answered setting Charley gently on the floor. She knelt and started to assist Charlotte in removing her jacket. Alec had done the same with Joey.

Stephanie sauntered into the entryway, plastered with the perfect makeup and strutting in her three-inch heels. Teddy couldn't believe her eyes. This was how Stephanie dressed around the house? Teddy was lucky if she brushed her hair if she was having a family dinner at home. "Hello Theodora" Stephanie beamed neatly folding her hands in front of her. Glancing down she greeted the girls. "Hello Josephine. Hello Charlotte." But a look of disgust crossed Stephanie's face. She took a quick step back. "What is the horrible smell?"

Teddy smiled sheepishly "I'm sorry the ride was a long one for the girls. Do you have anywhere that I can change their pull ups?" they didn't have a lot of accidents anymore, but they were still only three and the ride was a long one filled with lots of country roads. Accidents do happen. But Teddy was confident there wouldn't be any potty mistakes once school started.

"Yeah sure" Alec nodded in understanding. He was suspecting something like this. "Let me show you to the bathroom."

"Our bathroom?" Stephanie let out low gasp. "But Alec, its white. The dirt. It could get everywhere." Her eyes were darting between the groups in what looked like horror.

"Stephanie you cant just keep them from using the bathroom the entire day" Alec said with a little eye roll "children do have to pee sometimes."

"Well yeah but that doesn't mean... poop" Stephanie whispered the last, offending word.

Leaning forward Alexander whispered in return "everyone poops."

Teddy snickered a little "you know that's a book right?"

Alec's eyes twinkled amusingly "so I guess I wont get any rights for that idea eh?"

"And it was such a good idea too" Teddy giggled playfully. Lusciously Stephanie glanced between the two with a glare plastered on her face. She didn't like the way her husband had grown close to this other women.

"Let me show you the way" Alec nodded towards the hall and started heading on back there. He smiled warmly taking Teddy to his bedroom. It was as usual spotless of mess and crystal white.

"Wow" Teddy gasped softly. She glanced around the large room. It had floor to ceiling windows letting a large amount of light in, but it overlooked onto a busy street and Teddy couldn't help but wonder how they could possibly sleep with all that noise down below. The other thing she noticed about the room was how white it was, the carpets, bed sheets and even the over stuff chair in the corner was all the colour of freshly fallen snow. She would never be able to keep something like that so clean – especially with the girls. What about morning cuddles? The girls coming into bed when they had just woken up or snuggling with the baby, she would be so nervous about something getting on the bed.

"You don't like it" Alec said with a gentle smile.

"No, its not that" Teddy tried to defend the look she had given around the room. 'Its nice. Very bright in here."

"The white isn't for everyone," Alec answered in a relaxed way. "Its very modern and even I don't completely like it. It lacks a homey feel for me."

"Yeah it's kind of like a hospital setting" Teddy said glancing around once more. "Anyways the bathroom?"

"Yeah right here" Alec said opening the first door.

The bathroom was huge, nearly the size of the girls bedroom back home. She set the bag down and got straight to work. She was barely aware of Alec standing in the doorway with curious eyes wanting to learn. But her focus was completely on the girls. She had gotten them both to use the toilet and cleaned them up. Then came a swift change into the new matching Easter dresses, pink with purple and yellow flowers, she had recently picked out for them. She must admit her daughters looked pretty gosh darn cute today.

"Alec" Charley smiled at the man and happily spun around, "look! A new dress!"

Alec chuckled and reached forward to lift the girl into his arms "and it is such a pretty dress" he cooed kissing the girl on the cheek.

Joey, not wanting to be left out of the fun ran forward and latched onto the man's legs happily. She beamed up at him "me pretty too?"

"Oh yes. You are a very pretty girl" Alec gave another small chuckle. "How lucky I am to have such pretty girls all around Me." his gaze unintentionally shifted towards Teddy. He seemed to be doing more of that lately, thinking not only about the way she looked on the outside but also the beauty she had on the inside.

"Okay girls" Teddy smiled softly. "Who wants to play with some toys?"

"We do!" Charley and Joey cheered together.

"Than lets go play!" Alec added excitedly. Holding Charley in his arms, he took hold of Joey's hand and started running out of the room. Teddy followed shortly after them and returned to the living room. Alexander had set the girls down on the living carpet; it wasn't large in size and barely fit the two girls.

Kneeling down Teddy started to remove the toys she had brought along. She set out a selection of Barbie dolls and some little cars to play with. She kept the markers and colour pages in the bag for later – she was a little concerned about how Stephanie would react to the 'messy' craft.

"Oh Alexander" Stephanie said in a concerned tone "are you sure playing on that rug is a good idea? It's designer and three thousand dollars."

Teddy coughed out a chocking sound. Three thousand dollars? Who pays that much for a stupid rug? Not to mention if the rug meant so much to the women she should've rolled it up and put it in a closet or something before the kids arrived. But she recovered from the shock quickly and lifted Joey up. "That's alright they can just play on the floor then." It wasn't that big of a deal and the grey hardwood floor certainly couldn't be a big deal.

"I would say yes," Stephanie said in an extra sweet – and extra annoying voice – "but what if the wheels of those cars get scratches on the floor? Than I would need to call someone to come and buff it out."

Once again Teddy was taken back by the attitude of this women. "All right, how about the table?" she suggested. There wasn't anywhere else to go. The kids couldn't be on the rug or the floor, and Teddy highly suspected the couch was off limits too; the best choice was the kitchen table.

"The caterer is coming any minute," Stephanie explained. She glanced around the room cautiously looking for something that could be approve for the children to play on. Crossing the floor she went and grabbed two dinning chairs and pulled them up towards the wall and away from the table. "They can sit here," she stated with a big smile. "As long as they don't touch the walls. Than when we are eating we can bring the chairs back to the table."

Teddy was absolutely stunned by this behaviour. The women, who had so long desired a child of her own, was now trying to stick the girls into a corner? What kind of attitude was that? You can't expect Joey and Charley to remain out of sight all day in a corner. What was this a time out for the entire day? Really? These women couldn't let the kids be on the rug or the floor or even a comfy chair?

Not to mention did Stephanie say a caterer was coming to cook the meal? Teddy was expecting a homemade meal. She thought this was going to be a time with family. If she had known this was how it would be she would've insisted on making the meal herself.

"Stephanie" Alec said in a stern tone "the girls are not going to play in a corner against the wall. They will play right here on the rug." When he noticed the women opening her mouth to protest he continued, "If the rug is damaged I will buy you a new one."

Stephanie looked as though she wanted to protest, but the buzzing of the door took her attention away. She moved across the room to answer and start preparing for the catering company to come up.

Teddy set Joey back onto the rug and took a dainty seat on the edge of the sofa. She watched the kids and struggled with ignoring the man sitting beside her. But try as she might she wasn't able to deny the hearing of his breathing or the warmth illuminating off his broad shoulder pressed against hers.

"I'm sorry about her... again," Alec said softly. He watched his wife move around the kitchen in a hurry, directing the others where to go and how to set up. He hadn't realized until recently just how bossy and controlling the women could be. At first, he had found it attractive, a women that knew how to lead and take charge. But now he was starting to see how it wasn't about leadership to Stephanie, it was about being in control and having this her way. "It seems like that's all I've been saying about her lately."

"Its alright" Teddy answered him softly with a small shrug. "It's the holidays. People tend to get stressed when they are planning parties and gatherings. So I understand I suppose."

Alec chuckled a little, "you're too nice for your own good sometimes Teddy" he answered her softly. Bowing his head he glanced at the girls with a small smile. "How have you been feeling?' he whispered gently. "Has there been any morning sickness? Swelling of the ankles? Back pains?"

Teddy giggled a little and gave her head a small shake, leading to her hair falling down around her face in messy waves. "You've been doing you're research" she answered softly. "Morning sickness has been kicking my ass lately. But the pain and swelling tend to come later. I'm only five months along after all. In the next couple weeks I'll probably be feeling it a little."

"Have you been drinking peppermint tea? It's supposed to do wonders for you. It'll soothe your belly" Alexander suggested helpfully.

"You really have been doing your research" Teddy laughed a little more. "Really I'm doing alright."

"All right but you let me know if there's ever anything I can do for you" Alec insisted with a warm smile.

"Of course" Teddy answered leaning back into the couch and relaxing a little. She watched as the girls played together with the dolls. They were lying on their bellies and walking the dolls across the carpet lost in their own makes believe world. Teddy was nearly escaping into her own thoughts but the sound of Stephanie's words snapped her back into reality.

"The vegan turkey can go at the centre of the table. Around it should be the oven roasted ginger and spiced carrots and beans." Stephanie was directing the staff around. Which Teddy was expecting to happen, but she hadn't anticipated the vegan turkey or the seasoned carrots. "Oh the mashed potatoes. Vegan right? And you used the sweet potatoes rather than the Yukon gold?"

Teddy glanced Alexander's way in concern "didn't you get the list of foods I sent you that the girls would eat?"

Alec frowned a little "yeah? Why wouldn't I? You texted it like a week ago and I forwarded it to Stephanie."

Teddy gave a nod towards the kitchen "vegan turkey?"

"Vegan what?" Alec frowned. He got up from his seat and went towards his wife. "Stephanie what happened to the list of food I gave you?"

"I took them under advisement" Stephanie answered simply. "But these are much better choices both health wise and in regards to taste. Everything is vegan and sugar free." She waved her hand towards the table building up with the food.

"But Steph" Alexander spoke softly as he approached his wife. "Charley and Joey wont eat any of this." He glanced towards the table and crinkled his nose "I'm not even sure I'll eat any of it" he mumbled slightly.

"What?" Stephanie frowned "but you haven't even tried it? How do you know if you wont like it?"

"Personally because I know by taste buds" Alec answered her, sticking his hands in his back pocket he faced her again. "As for the girls well they are only three and just the smell of this food is going to turn them off from it."

"Well I'm afraid it's too late now Alec" Stephanie argued, "the food is already here and I don't have anything else to cook for the meal."

Alec glanced at the food and thought about it for a moment. Point blank the girls were not going to eat this vegan and sugar free food. And to be honest he was a little pissed off that Stephanie had purposefully ignored his suggestions. "I'll order McDonalds," he stated simply.

"Excuse me?" Stephanie gasped softly "you want to order McDonalds? When I have all this amazing food set out for us to eat? You'd rather have fast food?"

"Yeah" Alec nodded and tugged out his phone to order the food through Uber eats. "Hey Teddy what would the girls like to eat from McDonalds?" he asked heading over to her. With his back to Stephanie he didn't notice her angry, jealous glare.

"Kids meals, one chicken nuggets and one burger. They tend to share the food," Teddy answered with a smile. She however had noticed the women's unhappiness. In some ways she felt bad for Stephanie. She hadn't changed the food to be meant. It seemed like she truly didn't know better. She wanted to give a health option but didn't know the girls wouldn't eat it. This was part of becoming a mother. She was bound to learn in time. "And I'll take a six piece chicken nugget meal please." She stood from her spot on the couch and gave his arm a pat. When he took his seat again she stepped around him and went to chat with Stephanie.

"Hey" Teddy answered softly with a gentle smile.

"Hello" Stephanie answered stacking the plates to put them away. Her head was hung a little lower and she glanced at the food sadly. "Are you here to tell me off for changing the food too?"

"It doesn't look that bad" Teddy stated. She reached into the tray of carrots and snatched one up. Taking a nibble she held back a choking cough. It was disgusting. It was far too spicy and a blend that didn't mesh well together.

"Oh it cant be that bad" Stephanie insisted with an eye roll. She reached forward and grabbed a carrot herself. Taking a big bite her eyes quickly widen. "Oh lord what is this? It's disgusting!"

"A sign that we are having McDonalds tonight for dinner" Teddy answered playfully hoping to get the women to laugh.

But Stephanie just gathered the dishes sadly and started stacking them in the sink. "I just wanted to give them something healthy to eat," she stated rather to herself more than anyone else.

"I know" Teddy answered softly. "And that was good of you. It shows that you care. But when doing things like this you need to also take into consideration if the kids will actually eat it. Find somewhere down the middle. Carrots are still healthy and boiling them on the stove top with just a little salt and pepper would've been just fine. And the girls would've eaten it."

"I get it" Stephanie said gripping tightly to the edge of the counter. "I screwed something up again. I couldn't make a decent Easter dinner. So lets add that to the list of way's I've failed. You hate me. Those girls aren't interested me in the slightest. And Alexander seems to be angry with me in regards to everything I've been doing lately."

"I don't hate you" Teddy said softly, her heart went out to these women. "If I had ever given you that impression than I'm really sorry. And as for the girls they just don't know you and they haven't had a chance to. They've never really spent any time with them. And the time you have has been rather strained." Teddy struggled with rationalizing the incidents from the past and making Stephanie feel better about it.

"You mean because I was a real jerk to them," Stephanie said with a sigh.

"I mean sure you weren't the best" Teddy answered her softly. "But you've got time to learn Steph and you'll get better. I'm sure by the time the baby arrives you will be much better prepared and ready to embrace it."

"The..." Stephanie's head shot around and she was staring intensely at Teddy "when the baby arrives? What baby?"

"I thought..." Teddy glanced towards the living room in distress. Nibbling her bottom lip she answered softly. " I thought Alec would've told you I was pregnant."

"You're pregnant?" Stephanie forced the words out. She glanced towards Alec. "Is it his?" she asked not able to say her husbands name. As though he sensed trouble afoot Alec stood and went towards the two women.

"It is" Teddy nodded slightly. "I had some of the donation left over and I used it a few months ago..."

"How long have you known about this?" Stephanie snapped at Alexander once he had joined the two. Her eyes were flaming with hurt and betrayal. How could he not have told her about this?

Teddy was stunned with the scene around her. She had assumed Alexander would've told his wife. He was so excited when he found out the news wouldn't he have wanted to spread that joy around? This was like a new start for both them. He missed out on seeing the first three years of the girl's lives, but so did Stephanie. They were both getting a chance at raising a baby now. She thought... well it didn't matter what she thought anymore.

"Teddy told me a couple days ago. When I went to visit her last," Alexander said softly. "I have been meaning to tell you. But I didn't want to upset you anymore than I already have. You've been so sensitive about this entire thing. I've been trying to save you from more pain."

"Hiding this from me wasn't the right decision Alexander" Stephanie hissed. "I've already lost out on motherhood regarding those two. Not I am going to lose out again? She's given you three babies. And I can't even give you one."

"I think I'll go see to the girls," Theodora stated taking a step away from the group. This seemed like a conversation the couple needed to have in private. She bowed her head low as she went towards the girls. Sitting down on the hard wood floor she glanced at the couple. They were hunched together and arguing in hushed tones. Considering the way that Stephanie was talking with her angry hands, things weren't going well.

"Momma" Charley said setting her doll down. The girls were immune to the fighting. They didn't seem to notice anything was wrong. "Where's Easter bunny?" she asked excitedly glancing around.

Teddy hadn't noticed the lack of eggs. She had also specifically asked the couple to hide some chocolate eggs. But considering how the day was going it was safe to assume that Stephanie had deemed the chocolate too 'messy' or possibly 'unhealthy'. "Oh I think the Easter bunny is waiting to come to our house" Teddy whispered like it was a secret. "Tomorrow is Easter Monday right? He'll be coming tonight for sure!"

"Yay" Joey clapped her hands excitedly. "We like chocolate!"

"What are we getting all excited about?" Alec asked coming towards the group with a small forced smile.

"Easter bunny coming tomorrow" Charley said joining in with her sister clapping.

"Oh the Easter bunny" Alec said softly. "I think he came to visit us here too."

Teddy was watching the man with curious eyes. She hadn't seen any signs of the bunny coming by. And she was wondering what happened to Stephanie. She had been too focused on the girls she must have missed the women leaving.

"Ah yes he did" Alec stated moving towards a hall closet. Pushing the coats aside he tugged out to brightly colour baskets filled with a variety of treats. There was a pile of candy and chocolate, a stuffed animal and two dolls all stuffed into the basket and wrapped up with a bow. He hand one basket to each of the girls with a smile.

The girls cheered and gave the baskets a hug. They ran over to the couch and set them down. With ease the tore them open excitedly.

Watching with a soft smile Teddy turned to Alexander. She was both happy and surprised to see that Alec had treated the girls. She was pleased he had listened about the bunny. To her it was showing he was taking the first steps towards fatherhood. The more he got involved the more confident he was becoming and the better he was with the girls.

"Where did Stephanie go?" she asked softly. Pushing herself off the floor she went towards the man. Crossing her arms over she chest she gave herself a hug.

"She said she had a sick headache and needed to lay down," Alexander answered gently. He reached forward and tucked a stray piece of hair behind Teddy's hair.

"Why didn't you tell her about the baby?" Teddy asked taking a step away from the man.

"I don't know" Alexander answered honestly. "Truly I don't. I could say it's because I don't want to upset her anymore than I already have. I can argue its because she's been so sensitive regarding her inability to get pregnant. There is so much I can say. But I don't know. Maybe I was worried about her taking away a piece of the joy I felt about the baby. Maybe I just wanted to be happy for a couple more days."

"But you should want to be sharing in that joy with Stephanie" Teddy said looking away from the man. "Isn't that part of the point in being a couple? To share and take joy in each other's success?"

"Yeah well Steph and I haven't really been feeling much joy lately" Alexander stated. "At least when it comes to each other. Everything that has to do with us being a couple is strained. It's constant fighting and not getting along. It's anger and sleepless nights on the couch. We haven't been clicking."

"I... I'm sorry" Teddy whispered giving herself a small hug.

"There's nothing for you to apologize for" Alec explained. "This had started long before we met. Before I had learnt anything about the twin's existent. Us not getting along, it has nothing to do with you."

Teddy nodded slightly and glanced at him "maybe the two of you need to just find a new way to click with each other. Maybe try some therapy."

Alec nodded in return "I suppose. But to be honest I think we are just two pieces that don't fit well together anymore. Besides I might fit better elsewhere now. At least I think I've found myself a better fit" Teddy had no time to ask what he meant by this for there was a buzzing at the door. "That must be the food. I'll go down and get it" Alec stated as he stepped away. Flashing her a small smile he headed out to the hall.

But what was it that Alexander found a better place? Where and who did he fit with better if not his wife? What was this missing piece he seemed to have found?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

739K 23.3K 33
Madison Sweeney was well prepared to spend her life alone with her three children after her hateful relationship came to a crashing end. She never ex...
938 140 17
After reading a letter from someone she has never met, Gemma Moreno is offered a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change her life forever...
Teddy By S

Romance

46.7K 3.5K 52
(Book 4) *complete* The first three: 1, Alberta 2, Willa and 3, Harper It's been three months that Harper and Teddy have been parted by a lie, a dece...
5.3K 96 8
“You’re always going to be my bestest friend no matter what. Our friendship is unbreakable and NO-ONE will ever come between us! I mean NO-ONE! Me an...