The Crown Prince's Bodyguard

By Kim_Knights

Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal i... More

1 ♛ The Celestial Flower
2 ♛ The Creature
3 ♛ His Saviour
4 ♛ The Search
5 ♛ An Offer
6 ♛ First Friend
7 ♛ The Guardian
8 ♛ A Hunch
9 ♛ Into the Palace
10 ♛ Acceptance
11 ♛ The First Day
12 ♛ The Royal Family
13 ♛ Training
14 ♛ Caught in the Act
15 ♛ The Princess
16 ♛ The Rogues
17 ♛ The Royal Siblings
18 ♛ An Awkward Situation
19 ♛ A Puzzle
20 ♛ A Troubled Cousin
21 ♛ Drunken Men
22 ♛ A Crisis
23 ♛ Women
24 ♛ Runaway
25 ♛ Suspicion
26 ♛ An Unsteady Heart
27 ♛ The Grand Hall
28 ♛ The Performance
30 ♛ Growing Feelings
31 ♛ The Awakened Prince
32 ♛ A Truce
33 ♛ The Excursion
34 ♛ The Hill of Death
35 ♛ The Truth
36 ♛ The Monsters in the Darkness
37 ♛ Mayhem
38 ♛ The Escape
39 ♛ The Guardian of the Celestial Flowers
40 ♛ The Mastermind
41 ♛ His Absence
42 ♛ Unforeseen Events
43 ♛ Reunion
Epilogue
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 1)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 2)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 3)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Final)

29 ♛ Pandemonium

140K 8.8K 2.5K
By Kim_Knights

- Long'Er -

For children who were separated from their parents, reunion was often a happy occasion. It should be rejoiced and celebrated over a family meal. It should involve conversations between them exchanging memories that had occurred during the time they weren't together. It should expel loneliness and provide a sense of belonging.

But for her, that wasn't the case.

Something hot burned her throat. Thousands of burning questions ran through her mind. Hundreds of emotions attacked her all at once, leaving her stunned and breathless at what had unfolded before her very eyes.

She knew for a fact that her own father was unaware of her existence, but did he forget about her mother and had moved on in his life by marrying a second wife? Did Han Zhi Wen truly love her mother? Did he bother searching for her after her disappearance from his life?

And he had a son now, one which he adored a lot.

There was a new emotion stirring up within her. Was it wrong for her to feel jealous of her half-brother for everything that she didn't have? That he had grown up under their father's love and care in a complete family?

Anger rose within her, but it soon dissipated once she got a good grip of herself.

A part of her instantly felt ashamed at her incorrigible thoughts. The poor boy was simply just an innocent child who didn't have any involvement in any of this. Yes, she was feeling hurt and angry at her father, but she admitted that it wouldn't be fair for him to wait for several long years in loneliness. For a long time, she knew that there was a possibility that he might remarry.

She thought she would be ready to confront the reality, but seeing it for herself in person was like punching her in the guts.

And it made her chest hurt so much.

Her eyes lowered to the ground, fixing her stare on the wooden floorboard as her vision blurred. She suppressed her tears, willing herself not to cry, when she suddenly felt a hand slip into hers. Someone was grasping her hand gently and the warmth radiating from his sent a wave of calmness over her.

Blinking back tears, she glanced up to meet a worried Li Xun.

He peered into her face. "What's wrong?" he asked her. There was a tint of worry in his voice. "Did someone criticise you? Bully you?"

Long'Er swallowed thickly and kept her head low. "It's nothing of concern," she answered quickly. "Some dust has probably gotten into my eyes. Your Highness, you shouldn't be standing too close to me."

He may not have noticed, but she did. His abrupt absence away from his companions had caught them off guard and now, they were whispering behind their backs. Gawking at how close they were standing together with their hands intertwined.

When she tried to pull away, he only held on to her tighter.

She drew in a sharp breath. "Your Highness!" she whispered frantically. "Rumours will start again."

He merely raised an eyebrow. "Let them say whatever they want."

She gaped at him in disbelief. "You may not care, but I do."

He stared at her for a long time. "Fine," he gave in. "I'll let go if you tell me what's bothering you."

"I–"

Her words faltered. She knew she needed time to sort out her thoughts first because at this moment, she was uncertain of what she should do next. A part of her had initially wanted to reveal herself to her father after locating his whereabouts. To return something to him which she had kept for a long time. But right now, she was thinking that her abrupt appearance might simply bring destruction to a happy family.

Was her coming to the palace a complete waste of her time?

Li Xun watched her quietly. Even though he was clearly overwhelmed with curiosity, he decided to let it go and patted her head lightly with an understanding smile.

"Tell me when you're ready," he said.

Her pulse raced. Clearing her throat, she changed the subject quickly. "H-how are you faring with all the attention? I see that a lot of ladies are on your tail."

His eyes twinkled lightly and a teasing smile played on his lips. "But none of them are as captivating as the maiden who played the pipa," he praised. "How about you? Did you find her enchanting too?"

So he did figure out that someone had posed as his sister and substituted her in the performance.

But the question was — did he know who exactly it was?

Her cheeks ignited in flames. She averted her gaze and blurted out without thinking much. "I-I guess so..."

"I'm thinking of rewarding her for her outstanding performance," he remarked. "The guests believe it was Li Xue and they are very pleased. Is she still in the waiting room? Shall we head over to greet her?"

His suggestion sent her into a state of panic. She knew he would never be unable to locate that lady he was talking about.

Because it was none other than her.

Her mind fumbled for an excuse. "I believe you should remain here," she suggested. "Many are waiting for a chance to speak to you. If you leave, you would only disappoint them."

"Should I?" he sighed in disappointment. "What a shame. Here I am, feeling all excited to meet her."

In the next second, he leaned towards her. His breath tickled her cheek and he whispered words into her ear that nobody else could hear.

His velvet voice laced thick with amusement. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me," he promised. "It was a spectacular performance and I enjoyed it a lot. It was the first time I've seen a boy play a pipa this well."

A gasp lodged in her throat.

His eyes were sharp indeed. Apparently, he did figure out that she was the maiden.

Regardless, she decided to feint ignorance. "I don't know what you're talking about."

His grin grew wider. "If you say so."

She avoided his gaze, fixing her stare awkwardly at her feet. "But did the Emperor and Empress...notice?" she asked quietly. "That somebody else replaced the Princess?"

Li Xun nodded. "Of course. Any parent would recognise their own flesh and blood anywhere. But I doubt they would have minded, considering how we were saved from upsetting our guests. I believe they won't pursue the matter, or the maiden. I'll make sure of that."

Long'Er exhaled loudly. "That's a relief."

The skin around his eyes crinkled with humour. "It was really you, wasn't it?"

Embarrassment heated her cheeks. "I don't know what you're talking about. I was with the Princess in the waiting room at that time. She can vouch for me."

He shook his head at her, teasing her. "You're a stubborn one, aren't you?"

"I can say the same about you. Why do you keep insisting it was me?! Why would a boy like me wear female clothes? It's embarrassing!"

The back-and-forth bicker never seemed to end. He chuckled at her, obviously finding joy in her flustered reactions. It was strange, but oddly fascinating that they were at ease with each other. Putting aside their difference in status and speaking to each other like old friends.

That was how comfortable she felt around him.

She felt something squeezed her hand and glanced down. Her eyes widened and her heart pounded madly.

His hand was still clutching hers.

Why wasn't he letting her go?

He was still speaking to her. "I promise to keep that maiden out of harm's way. Don't worry about it."

"I'm not worried about it..."

"Really?" He frowned. "If that's the case, should I throw that imposter into the dungeon instead?"

"No!"

Hearing her reaction, he threw back his head and laughed heartily. Not out of courtesy like how he would normally respond to his ministers and guests, but of genuine interest. Because of her.

The colour of embarrassment invaded her cheeks. "Your Highness, please stop teasing me..." 

"I know, I know. I'll stop now–"

And then his body lurched forward suddenly, his hands flying up to his mouth as he threw up. Everyone snapped their attention to them and they started panicking once they realised the state he was in.

A wide-eyed Long'Er gasped in shock and hurriedly grabbed his arm to support him. "Your Highness? Are you alright?"

When he pulled his hand away from his mouth, crimson red blood stained his palm. The sight horrified her as she watched the prince grow weaker by the second.

It was frightening. One minute he was laughing with her, and the next he was on the verge of death.

He had been poisoned.

***

- Lord Villain -

A young man sat by the window, sipping his wine and admiring the captivating full moon. He threw back his long, silky hair and downed another cup of wine.

He was waiting. Waiting for the time to rejoice when his plan for revenge had been carried out successfully.

Not long later, a rangy servant appeared outside his master's bed chamber. Trembling slightly, he conveyed the news hesitantly, fearing to face the wrath of his master.

"My lord, the plan has failed."

Upon receiving the words, the man stiffened in reaction as his blood began boiling with fury. Without any warning, he threw the porcelain cup he was holding onto the ground, smashing it into pieces and spilling the wine everywhere.

"Again?" the man growled in a fearsome tone. "Are you rats all good-for-nothing?"

He was accompanied by a gorgeous woman sitting on his left. She merely ran her hand over his arm soothingly with a foxy smile. Mischief trickling from the corners of her long sensuous eyes.

"Do not get too worked up over this, Lord Chen. He simply got away with luck, but not for long."

Taking a deep breath to control his anger, the man closed his eyes and let out a sigh. "Well then, what do you suggest? Even the monster you conjured didn't even manage to kill the prince."

The witch's lips curled into a devious smirk. "Fear not, my Lord," she assured him. "All we have to do is to remove his lucky charm, and then we shall bring him to the Hill of Death."

He tilted his head amusingly at her, finding her idea rather interesting. "If I recall correctly, that's the place where nobody comes back out alive? Not even their skeletons?"

When she nodded her head, he gradually relaxed and returned to savouring his wine. With a satisfied smile, he leaned forward to drop a quick kiss on her blood-red lips and caressed her cheeks.

"Bring me his head, my beautiful witch. I want it to be hanging at my doorstep like a medallion."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 10K 55
***THE WATTYS 2021 & 2022 - SHORTLISTED ENTRY*** The fragile peace between the two ancient kingdoms of Han and Jin is put at risk when traitors with...
2.8K 191 8
Welcome Our Lovely Readers in Blue Heaven!!!🎉 We present a new Historical Xianwang & Wangxian fanfiction Hope Our Lovely Readers will Love this fan...
70.3K 5.4K 33
Two neighboring clans. A raging war. Amidst the threat of defeat, the matriarch proposes a truce by marrying her daughter to the enemy clan. However...
999 14 6
I don't know how the story is going to unfold so this is going to be a surprise for all of us. I'm not sure yet 😗 Read on and predict what shall ha...