Diamond in the Sky

By redfae

When your soul is torn from your body, a broken heart suddenly seems pretty insignificant. Kya got dumped for... More

NaNoWriMo Project
Chapter 1 (pre-NaNo)
Chapter 2 (Pre-NaNo)
Chapter 3 (Pre-NaNo)
Chapter 4 (Pre-Nano)
Chapter 5 (Pre-NaNo)
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 17

1 0 0
By redfae

I crept into the room, shutting the door quietly behind me. Morgan hadn't mentioned any secret rooms in her tour and I wondered whether she or any of the others knew about this. As I got closer, I looked through the entrance and saw there were stone steps leading down. It had the look of an old castle. I could hear voices below. Cronus wasn't alone. I heard a woman scream followed by an oomph like she had received a heavy impact. I heard crying and mumbles. They were too far away to make out what they were saying. There was a clang of metal followed by footsteps getting louder. I couldn't be here. I mustn't be found. I tiptoed out of the room and gently closed the door behind me. Once out, I let our a heavy breath I hadn't realised I had been holding. My heart was pounding in my chest but the danger wasn't over yet.

I saw the door handle move and quickly I began to make a move. I had to slow myself down so I didn't look obvious. With the glass windows looking into the quad the corridors were open. I knew as soon as Cronus stepped out the door, he would see me. And, I had to pray I didn't look guilty of snooping.

"Kya!"

His voice froze me in my tracks. I turned slowly keeping my face to the floor. I felt as if he had caught me. "Cronus."

It was barely two strides for him to catch me up with his long legs. "Are you lost?"

"Yes," I beamed too enthusiastically. I quickly feigned a look of worry. Trying to look sad with big wide eyes, "I have no idea where my room is."

Cronus smirked almost as if he was amused by my dramatic performance, "Let me show you, little chick. It is late and you will need your strength for tomorrow."

"What's the plan for tomorrow?"

"I need to go over the full transmission. Your change isn't yet final. There is one last challenge. I must get you home so you can sit your exams. Then you can return," He smirked at me as he did air quotes, "For college."

"I love it here." It sounded refreshing to be so honest. Scotland was a million miles away from my troubles. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay here and party with my new family.

"You have an eternity to enjoy." He pushed open the door to my room and entered with me. "Tonight, you must sleep."

My fingers reached out for his, "Can you stay?"

He frowned, "What do you mean?"

I blushed as I thought of Nate and the way he had comforted me when I was broken. So much had happened and changed, I just wanted someone to hold me. I patted the bed, "Stay with me."

Cronus laughed, a deep rumbling sound that filled me up with a need to be part of it but his words crushed me, "I don't think so."

He went to leave the room but I reached out for his hand, "Is there someone else?"

"No," He shook his head, "I just don't do that." With that he went. He was so good looking it felt bizzare that he was not interested in anyone else. Then I remembered the crying lady in the hidden room. He might say there was nobody but I had heard her and I was going to see her. I waited a few minutes to be sure that Cronus had gone before sneaking back downstairs but when I reached the door it was locked. I pulled and shook the handle, hoping by some miracle it would give way and let me in. I had to know who she was and why Cronus kept her hidden from everyone else. If I was going to unlock this secret, then I would need to get the key and get down there before we leave tomorrow.

I returned to my room feeling a bit defeated. I had to get in that secret room but first sleep.

I had forgot to shut the curtains and woke to sunlight streaming in and a knock at my door. I got up to see who it was and Morgan stood there with a tray. It had a glass of orange juice and toast. "There's more downstairs but I thought you might like a little something to get you going. I wasn't sure how you were feeling today."

"Thank you," I said taking the tray and walking over to a small table by the window that looked out of the beautiful mountains and valleys below. "I feel really good considering how much we drunk."

"We can handle drink better than most due to our rapid healing but I was worried about you being young." She smiled.

I was starving and the toast was washed down very quickly with the orange juice. Morgan sat on my bed whilst I ate. "Feel free to wear any of the clothes I leant you and I put together a little wash bag for you. I'll pop it in your bathroom. It's yours."

"Thanks."

"No worries. Cronus has asked that you meet him in the Eagle suite to discuss your transition."

"Okay."

"I'll leave you to your morning." Morgan got up and left the room whilst I gaze out the window, taking in the beautiful view. I strange prickling sensation ran over my body like electric. I felt the urge to shift. I wanted to spread my wings and soar over the landscape but there would be plenty of time for that.

I hurriedly got washed and dressed. As I passed the mirror I was taken by my reflection. I still looked like a stranger with the way my skin was pale and my hair inky black. I looked through the wash bag Morgan had supplied. She had added a little makeup. I pulled out a red lipstick and applied it to add a little colour to my face before heading down for my meeting with Cronus.

The meeting rooms were a few doors along from Cronus' office. I read the brass plate on each door until I reached the Eagle suite. I pushed the door open and entered a grand looking vintage lounge. Cronus sat on an emerald couch waiting for me to join him.

I blushed as I remember how things had ended last night, "I'm sorry..."

Cronus cut me off, "Don't worry about it. We have more important things to discuss."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Your transition contract."

I nodded. Not that I had a clue what that was but just to show him that I was listening. I was trying to behave as maturely as possible to demonstrate that I am not a child. I am a woman.

"We have thirty days to train you to use your powers, to enable you to seek out the one that marked you and have your revenge."

"Revenge?"

Cronus shrugged, "Kill them."

I gasped, "I don't think I could kill anyone."

"I was afraid of that. With you young age...."

"It's not my age!" I snapped.

He smirked which just annoyed me further.

"If you don't fulfil your transition requirements, you will remain a crow forever."

I didn't know what to make of that and sat in stunned silence, my mouth falling slightly ajar. Cronus then moved his hand in the air and the coffee filter jug rose and poured into a mug. Cronus looked like a puppet master and that the jug was moving with invisible strings. With a gentle movement of his hand, he lifted the mug and it began to float in the air and move towards me. "You look like you need a strong drink."

I took the drink and inspected it. It was a perfectly ordinary mug and there was nothing attached to it. I took a sip. It was a very strong coffee but nothing unusual about it. "How did you do that?"

"It is one of our abilities I will teach you to use." He smiled. "Shadowkinesis."

My eyes lit up and my smile filled my face, infused with a mixture of too much caffeine and the excitement of having superpowers, "When can we start?"

"My first priority is protecting the shifter world. We will start your training once you are safely home."

I groaned. I still didn't want to go home. Then I noticed a bunch of keys sitting on the edge of the table next to a mobile phone. I bet one of those keys would get me into his office.

"Don't be like that," he chuckled and got to his feet. He grabbed his mobile and the keys. My shoulders dropped - how would I get it now?

"Where are you going?"

"I have a few things to sort before our flight and I need an early night."

"How about one more coffee?"

He put down his keys on a table beside the plant in the corner and slide his mobile into his trouser pocket. He began moving his hands around in the air, lifting the coffee pot and re-filling my mug.

He was about to turn to pick up his keys - "Can I have milk too this time?"

He gave me a wry look and then compiled. From a little basket in the corner he lifted a small pot of disposable milk. The lid peeled back and the tiny pot floated over to my mug and poured in.

"That's so amazing." I jumped up excitedly and hurried towards him, throwing my arms around him. He stood stiffly in my grasp and leaned back. "Will I really learn to do that."

He relaxed a little and nodded, "Yeah, it's one of the first things I will teach you."

"Well go sleep, we can wake early and fly me home and start that training. I can't wait to learn that." I took both his hands in mine and skipped out into the corridor. "Is it okay for me to stay in the eagle suite to finish my coffee?"

"Of course," Cronus agreed. I let go of his hands and his hand gently brushed a strand of hair behind my ear, "Why do I feel like I am going to need to keep an extra close eye on you."

"Not to close," I winked, "That would be no fun."

Cronus looked like he might have blushed as his head dipped but it was hard to see with his dark skin. "Goodnight Kya," He said and headed off down the corridor.

I returned to the room and hastily grabbed the keys. I had a sip of my coffee but it was too hot. I walked slowly and quietly to the door and listened for Cronus. I couldn't hear anything. I opened the door slightly and peeped out. The coast was clear.

With my heart thumping in my chest I sneaked back to Cronus' office. There were three keys that looked a suitable size for the lock. It was typical that the key that fit was the last one I tried. I paused and took a deep breath to compose myself before turning it. I wasn't sure what was on the other side of the door but my curious mind wouldn't let it go.

I pushed the door open and snuck inside. I closed the door behind me. I hurried to the bookcase but I could not see a way to open it. I felt around the edge and could see what looked like the edge of a bookcase but I knew to be a door. I pulled at different books to make it open like in the movies but nothing happened. I hurried to the desk and pulled open draws, looking for a button but found nothing. I tried moving items on the desk incase one was a trigger but was almost surprised when nothing happened. I saw back in Cronus' chair at his desk wondering how I was ever going to get the secret door open. Then I remembered how my cousin had hidden cigarettes under the floorboards. My eyes cast across the floor and I noticed that one of the boards had a darker shadow like it didn't quite fit the space. I gave it a tug and to my joy it lifted revealing a handle. I pulled the handle up like a break and head a popping sound from the bookcase. I went over to look and could see it was now open, with a gentle push, the secret entrance was now accessible.

I looked down the steps and noticed how dark it was but I could see a faint light at the bottom. The stone steps were uneven and tricky to walk on, so my progress was slow. With every second my heart beat. If Cronus was to go to his office, he would find the bookcase open and I had no idea what a man that was so casual about killing would do to me.

There was a musty smell of damp like mud and moss the further I went down. When I reached the bottom, I found a room lit with a candle that was incredibly cold. I looked around the room and I was alarmed to see a cage. In the cage was a woman with pure white hair sleeping. I held my breath for fear that she might see me but it was too late. She must have heard me because she opened her violet eyes.

"Kya," She whispered. "Be warned. Take care."

"Who... Who are you?"

"Dulcina, it is an honour to meet you." The frail girl got from her bed. She wore tatty brown clothes that were torn and broken. She crept towards the bars and held onto them as if she needed them to hold her up. Her face pressed against the bars, "This must be our secret. Tell no-one."

I nodded. "What are you doing in there?"

I could see her more clearly now. Her bony body was covered in different colour bruises and her lips were chapped. "Did Cronus do this?"

"He wants me to tell him things. He wants me to tell him about you."

"Me?"

She shook her head. "It's too dangerous. It's too soon."

"What are you talking about?"

"You will see. He will turn on you and you will come back for me. But go. Before he finds you."

I looked up the dark stairs and knew Dulcina was right. I had to go. I looked back at her wide eyes, she looked like she was shaking. I looked at the keys and began looking for one that might unlock the cage.

"I said go!"

I met her beautiful violet eyes. She looked so vulnerable and yet still so beautiful, "I'm going to get you out."

Dulcina shook her head and a tear rolled down her face. "He'll know it was you. You are not strong enough yet to fight for us both. You must listen to me and go."

I reached for her pale hand and squeezed it, "I will come back for you."

Dulcina nodded and I turned on my heels and returned to the steps.

"Hurry. He is coming!"

I had no idea how she knew that but I believed her. I began racing up the steps as quickly as I could. I stumbled and hit my knee hard on the stone. I bit my lip to distract myself from the pain and clambered up the steep steps.

Dulcina called after me, "Keep your wits little chick."

I hurried into the room and pulled the lever so the door closed. I put the plank back and I had just stood up and turned when I saw the office door open.

"Kya?" Cronus frowned, "Why are you here?"

"You left your keys." I jangled them in front of me. I tried to hurry after you but you were gone. I didn't know where you room was so I came here looking for you." I felt hot around the collar and that my lie was so obvious.

"Did Morgan not tell you that nobody is to enter my office without me."

"Um...," I didn't want to get her in trouble. It was so obvious I was thinking of lie that I cringed, "I've been told so much, I can't remember."

Cronus didn't look impressed. "Let's hope your retention is better for your training."

I nodded and hurried over to him to hand him the keys, I quickly brushed past him, "I must get to bed. Big day tomorrow. And, I can't wait for my training to start."

Cronus raised an eyebrow skeptical and then shook it off with a chuckle.

I hurried down the corridor to my room. I needed to get away before he figured out what I had been up to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 61 12
A Raven's love is eternal and pure, far surpassing that of a doves fleeting beauty, yet it is forever obscured by the cloak of darkness. Caged birds...
50 0 18
Kya Monroe lost everything she knew,all from a spark. She was forced into slavery at a young age. She doesn't know life was outside her prison. No lo...
62K 896 9
If he touches her, she'll incinerate, and if he doesn't, she'll die. We all have dark secrets, and Tristan has plenty of them. Not only is i...
3K 257 63
"A demon and a werewolf. Now that's what I call a love story." . Alaina, a girl with a dark and tortured past, moves to a new town to live with her a...