A pawn to Success

Από Rhanao

"Damian, please." I started pleading. I knew that what was about to come, couldn't be good. As his hand gentl... Περισσότερα

Part 1
part 2
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
part 9
Part 10
part 11
Part 12

Part 3

78 4 0
Από Rhanao

Before I was about to use the flashlight on my phone, the car's  bright front lights helped me with finding the keys in my bag. 

Weirdly enough it stood still for longer than I anticipated without hearing anyone get in or out. I turned around to observe what was happening. The car was on the other side of the road, but close enough for me to see the driver. It was a dark suspicious van, with a very suspicious man sitting in the front. I felt like he was wearing a mask or something. As hard as I tried I couldn't figure it out. But it gave me the creeps when I knew I  made direct eye contact and saw a camera flash go off.

Did he just take a picture of me? That's when I knew for sure, this was not a regular passing car.

Maybe it was the same person from this morning when I went running. Just as the van started driving away I ran toward it, totally contradicting my instincts, to try and catch the plate number. I tried to memorize it and wrote it down in my phone before I could forget. Whoever it was, I wouldn't let them get away with it, not with me, that stalker gets reported to the police, right now.

I called 911, while finally getting into my apartment. When they answered I started blurting out words in a panicked voice.

"Hello? I'm calling to report a suspicious van, I have its license plate."

"Mam, calm down, what makes the van suspicious?" The woman on the other side of the line asked.

"It was a dark van and the driver looked like he was wearing a mask. He slowed down in front of my apartment. He had a phone or a camera  on him and took a picture of me, I could clearly see a flash go off. And once he saw me looking directly at him he drove off. That's when I got his plate number."

"Okay and was this the first time this happened?" she asked. "I'm not 100% sure, but I have the feeling I was being followed this morning too."

"Mam, are you in your apartment now?"

"Yeah."

"Dictate the number for me please." she asked. I gave her the number and sighed in relief, feeling a lot safer.

"Give us a few minutes, we'll be back." she said. Suddenly my tiredness kicked in and I laid the phone down on the bed. Meanwhile I got undressed, getting ready for bed, when finally the dispatcher called me back.

"Mam, that licence plate number doesn't exist, are you sure you caught the right number?" she asked.

"What? How? I mean that can't be, I could bet on this number, it's the number I saw. " I said, not believing what I was hearing.

"Mam, it doesn't exist in our system, which means it doesn't exist at all. Did you have a late night? Maybe you've had a few drinks?" she said. I didn't take that as an insult. On the contrary, it made me think that I could be wrong. Maybe I was hallucinating because of the drink I had?

"I did, I understand, I'm sorry for disturbing you." I said, sounding defeated.

"It's not a disturbance at all, lock the doors and windows, keep yourself safe mam, have a good night." she said politely. "Yes, thank you, you as well." the call ended and I think I've never felt this confused in my life before.

I only had 1 drink, and not the strongest one either, besides I was never really a drinker and avoided alcohol as much as possible. So what was it? My head started hurting, I needed some sleep, again.

------------------------------------------------

When I got up the next morning, I recalled what happened the night in the shower, during lunch and in the evening. I still didn't believe it was the alcohol. I've got that licence plate right, stubborn, I know but I was convinced of it. I looked at the saved number again and again.

I was also occupied with memorizing everything for tomorrow, the biggest job application I've ever had. To completely focus on that, I desperately tried blocking yesterday's events. Maybe I was being too dramatic.

You know the kind of stress you have before an exam during high school or uni, well I felt it allover again.

The next day arrived quicker than expected and I got up earlier than normal, trying to go through everything again.

I prepared my outfit the previous evening, a regular black blazer with black pants. Then I quickly put my hair in a bun and applied a little bit of makeup. I was intending to give this interview my best.

The next morning.

When I  finally got there on time I was getting more and more eager to go inside. From the outside it was a colossal building with wide, clear windows and fancy people busily running around, wearing expensive looking suits. This environment was extremely overwhelming to me, was I even on this level? Ugh, nerves were playing with my thoughts again and my insecurity kept rising. 

I tried to follow people who were entering, there were too many options to choose from, whether we're talking about the amount of doors or helpdesks. So I walked to the one I first made eye-contact with. "Good morning, how can I help you?" the receptionist asked me.
Even though she was sitting down, I could tell she probably had long legs, because with that model face it couldn't be otherwise.

 "Hi, I'm here for a job interview at 10 am concerning the financial department." Before I could continue she held her finger up and answered the call she just received. "Please excuse me for a second." she said. I smiled, 'excused her finger' and patiently waited while looking around curiously. 

From what I could hear the phone call was very brief and to the point, after which she addressed me with a wide smile again. "You go to the 16th floor, and register yourself there at the central information desk." she said and pointed to the nearest elevator. "Thank you very much." I smiled back.

16th floor, I looked wide eyed at the elevator, not that I was afraid of heights, okay maybe just a little bit. Nevertheless, I was growing more nervous by every passing second.  

Each floor people were entering and exiting, until there were only 3 of us left, they exited at the 16th floor as well and I could clearly see them eyeing me curiously, maybe thinking I was lost or something, but eventually they let it go and went on with their own business. Seems like everyone knows each other really well here, they must see me as some kind of an intruder. 

I walked towards the central information desk just like the lady said after which I was send to the waiting room where I nervously read through the papers I had prepared. Suddenly a woman called for me and guided me through the hallway pointing to a door. I let out a nervous, shaky sigh and knocked as politely as possible before entering. 

Immediately I saw a man, in his early 30's maybe. He stood up and shook my hand. "Good morning, Miss Alverez, Jacob Harrison, pleased to meet you, please have a seat." 

"Thank you" I said with a soft smile. "So, I will ask you a few questions and you get 5 minutes to give your point of view on those particular matters we asked you to prepare beforehand." Right when he said that, I heard a chair squeak and with a startled look I turned around, not expecting anyone else to be there. 

"Please ignore me, go on." he said waving with his hand, of course it had to be none other than Damian Romano. I kept staring at him completely dumbfounded, how didn't I notice him earlier?

"Mr. Romano, I'm sorry for not noticing." I said not sounding very apologetic. He stood up and leaned against the table behind him to eventually look at Jacob, motioning him to continue. 

"Go on." he said with a stern voice. Without even greeting me properly.

Jacob started asking me questions I anticipated, so knowing all the answers made me feel confident. I started giving the theoretical background to the arguments I made. Here and there I tried to broaden my vision to follow Romano's expressions. I felt like I was talking forever, but looking at the timer, I noticed only a few minutes went by. 

"That's enough, you can stop there." Damian suddenly interrupted me. 

"Oh, uh okay." I said looking at Damian and then switching to Jacob awkwardly. So what do I do now, another question? I kept fidgeting and silently moving my legs from one side to the other.

Jacob just smiled at me: "Can you wait outside Miss Alverez, we will call you when we've made a decision."

I was in shock, this was the weirdest interview I've ever had, not that I had many, but still. 

I clumsily stood up and walked toward the door, not sparing Damian a glance.

Waiting outside felt like eternity, I have to admit I tried to listen closely and follow what they were talking about, but the damn door was too thick. And then I started panicking in my head, they'd never give me this job, not after such a short interview. Damian looked pissed, impatient and disappointed, there was no way he'd let me work here.

Also what were the odds of the CEO attending an interview of a small employee he'd probably never even meet in his own company. It's not like I would be working side by side with him, right? A CEO of his caliber isn't supposed to attend small interviews like these, I kept telling myself. Maybe he just wants to be extra sure of who he's employing? 

I suddenly remembered how I bumped into him that evening at the conference. If I wasn't hallucinating back then he totally said my name. This should have given me the creeps that evening, but the creepy feeling was quickly downplayed because of my not so pleasant encounter with Nate. 

"Miss Alverez, you can come in now." Jacob called me in with a genuine looking smile that reached his eyes. He held the door open for me, what a gentleman, I blushed inwardly. 

"Thank you" and again I didn't bother looking at Damian, he would only make me feel more nervous and disappointed with myself, so what's the point.

I started biting the inner part of my cheek, waiting for Jacob to say something, quickly replacing the stupid habit with the fidgeting of my fingers, another stupid habit.

"Congratulations Miss Alverez, you are hired." my mouth fell wide open and my eyes and eyebrows made that confused and dumbfounded looking expression yet again. 

"Here are some papers we would like you to read through. And here is the contract, we would like you to start working for Delta enterprise as soon as possible. You'll start the upcoming Monday. Everything is explained in these documents and please come prepared. I don't think there will be any problems with that, right?" he asked raising an eyebrow. 

"Oh no no no, not at all, I'll do my ultimate best. Thank you for this opportunity." I said hurriedly. Jacob stood up and shaking my hand continued. "I'll see you around Miss Alverez, have a good day." 

"Thank you, you have a very nice day too, Mr Harisson." Before I could stand up he walked out, suddenly making me remember Damian Romano was still in the room with me. 

"Yes, I'm still here, Miss Alverez, please sign the papers you received, I don't have all day." he said walking into my direction. 

"Right, ..." I started reading through the contract before signing it, because safety comes first. 

"What are you doing?" he asked impatiently. 

"I'm reading the contract." I said casually, looking up at him. Wauw what a gorgeous looking man, only not as nice looking on the inside. 

"Are you seriously going to read through all of the pages?" he questioned me again. "Yes, but I'm a fast reader Mr Romano, so it'll be quick." I said trying not to sound dismissive or rude. He raised an eyebrow and smirked. "You think we're deceiving people and letting them sign fake contracts, or putting them into slave markets?" I chuckled.  "No, not to that extent of course, what an imagination you have Mr Romano." I laughed nervously to which his smirk grew wider, suddenly he dropped it, putting on his poker face again. Bipolar much. 

I quickly read through the basic points and completely finished reading it, not missing anything, or so I hoped. 

"So I just sign here?" 

"No, you form airplanes out of it. Of course you sign it Miss Alverez." he said bluntly. I decided not to give him a dirty look, I can't lose a job I haven't even gotten yet officially.

"Done" he took the papers and put them aside. 

"I have to thank you for this opportunity Mr Romano, I will do my very best." I genuinely smiled with  happiness. 

"You better do your very best Miss Alverez, and you're welcome." he said and reached for the door. 

"I just have one question, can I ask you something?"

"You just did." he really had to use that basic stubborn phrase. So predictable.

"Mr Romano, do you always attend these interviews?" 

"Only on occasions" he said. 

"And is it just my imagination, or was the interview too short and simple?" my voice was getting higher.

"You said one question, see you on Monday Miss Alverez." he dismissed my question and disappeared. 

From this encounter I'd say he has a very boring personality, or I guess he's just a busy man who has to run a multi billion dollar company. That could explain the dark, depressed aura he's always carrying with him.

I was overwhelmed with emotions, only now realizing I got the job, my financial status was saved again. I squealed with happiness and contentment. 

I decided to call up Julie, I had to share this with someone. 

"Where are you?" she asked, we decided to meet up and grab lunch. 

"Hey, how did it go?" she asked once we met and sat down. 

"I don't even know how to explain it, but I got the job." she started squealing with me. Two grown women, not caring that people were throwing them weird looks. 

"But it's strange how I got it so easily." 

"Oh come on, Isabelle, you need to believe in yourself, you did great, now just accept it and be happy already!!" she said with a lecturing motherly tone. 

"You're right, I should stop overthinking." I sighed. 

We ordered our food. "You remember Mr Romano at the conference?" I asked. 

"Of course I do" she said, wiping off her lipstick. 

"He's definitely different in real life." I said, to which she dropped her hands and stared at me. "Wait, you met him?" she asked.

"Yes, he was actually there during the interview."

"What? Omg, how did you even concentrate on the interview in his presence?" she asked shocked. 

"He's definitely intimidating, but nothing I can't take." I said smirking and wiggling my eyebrows. "Look at you meeting your Christian Grey." she said, playfully hitting me.

"Ew, Julie! Don't say that!" I exclaimed with playful disgust in return. 

"You never know" she sipped her tea still eyeing me from the corners of her eyes. 

"You dirty girl, our food is here." I said looking at the waiter bringing our food. 

"Bon appetit." she said.

Once her lunchtime was over we said our goodbyes and I went home still processing the fact that my life would be changing from this day onward, hopefully for the better that is.

Damian Romano's POV

I have to admit the girl is gorgeous, I noticed that the first time we've met. But...

"Damian, you sure you want to do it this way?" Jacob asked, he was my adviser and best friend from the very beginning, someone I could trust my life with. We grew up together, like brothers, but after what happened he changed, just as I did. Since that day both of us carry the same goal. 

"Yes, don't question me again about it, Jacob. We've already discussed this." I said dismissively.

"She doesn't seem to know of anything. What if she's not even involved." Jacob said. Which could be true, but I didn't care. 

"Her family tree is enough to prove her involvement. But that's not important. What's important is that we keep our friends close, but enemies closer." so close that I have to follow her every step from now on.

"We have the girl, which means we have that son of a b$tch too." I grinned. Jacob looked down and  went silent for a while. 

"Just don't start doing things too hastily, my friend. You know I will help, but I just think she could be innocent in all of this."

I smirked. "You know me, I like my work to be done quick. Also she is no one to me, just like my sister was no one to them."

"... I...." Jacob went silent again.

"I appreciate your concern Jacob, but I have to visit Ana now. So let's finish for today. Take over for me will you."

"I will. Damian, if she's feeling okay today, could you mention my name and tell her I miss her." I nodded and left, today I wanted to go alone. I needed to see her 1 last time before I'd start with this plan. 

Once I arrived at the hospital and parked the car, I took out my pass showing it to the guard. He let me through and I walked in, looking forward to seeing my baby sister again. 

"I'm here to see Ana Maria Romano, is she in the cafeteria?" I asked one of the nurses. 

"Oh, good evening Mr Romano, she's in her room now." she sounded nervous, I wonder why.

"At this time? Why is she not here with the others?" I pointed at the other patients who were eating.

"W-Well, a little problem occurred." she stuttered nervously. 

"A little problem?" I asked, now growing more concerned and impatient with this woman. 

"She refused to eat and had a little ..." she couldn't even finish her sentence, I dismissed her and rushed to Ana's room by myself. 

Without knocking I opened the door with the visitors' pass. "Anna? Anna, ANNA!" I screamed once I saw my sister laying on the ground with her face down. Her messy hair covering her angelic features.

"Nurse, send a nurse now!" I screamed at the staff.

"Anna, please wake up baby. Don't do this to yourself." I whispered while embracing her and  brushing my nose against her hair.

She opened her eyes slightly and smiled at me sleepily. "Damian, you're here?"

"Yes, it's me, come on Anna, let's get you off the ground." I took her arm and guided her toward the bed. 

"Damian, I've missed you so much, I don't like it here. I want to go home and see mom and dad, but they won't let me. Mom and dad must miss me and think I'm very sick. But I'm not. Right? I'm okay. You see?" she said smiling widely with raised eyebrows while pointing at herself, most probably expecting me to agree with her.

"Of course you're okay, sweetie, but we can't do that now." I tried to change the subject, she never accepted my answers for what they were. 

"Why not?" she asked with big sad eyes. Every single time I visited her, she always asked the same questions over and over again. The doctor said there's no use in explaining anything to her ever again.

"Anna, your big brother is very hungry, don't you want to eat something with me?" I said smiling, hoping to change the subject. 

"Yay, let's go. They have french fries today." she said clapping her hands. We walked hand in hand to the cafeteria. When a nurse arrived I dismissed him with a quick nod. 

We got our food and sat down at an empty table. I was doing everything I could to make her eat more when I was around. All she did was smile, eat and then smile again and sometimes mention our parents. 

"Will you stay?" she suddenly asked. 

"Of course I will, I'll stay with you till you fall asleep." I said, reaching for her hands. 

"Promise?" she asked. I laughed and kissed her forehead. "You know I love you, right?"

"I know and I love you too Damian. Tell mom and dad I love them as well, will you?" my smile almost dropped, I tried my best to hold myself together. I laid her down in her bed and pulled the covers over her. Waiting for her to fall asleep while rubbing her hand.

As she was struggling to stay awake I whispered very silently that Jacob missed her. She shouldn't hear his name today, not in her current state. 

When she fell asleep I stormed through the corridors and burst into the doctor's office.

"Do you call this taking good care of your patients?!" I yelled. The man had no time to stand up, I grabbed his collar and almost punched the life out of him. "I could close this hospital just as easily as I opened it and you wouldn't have a job, nor a career for the rest of your life, keep that in your f$cking mind." I was raging. I needed to take out my anger on someone.

"I'm sorry, Mr Romano, it won't happen again." he said with shaking hands.

"Now sit your ass back down and explain what the f$ck happened here before I arrived." I said nodding toward the chair. 

"Miss Anna had a panic attack, the second one today. She wouldn't eat and screamed, damaging her throat. She managed to scratch one nurse's eye, so we had to tranquilize her." he went silent. 

"Next time something like this happens, you call me, understood?" he nodded and apologized again. "Is the nurse taken care of?" I asked.

"Yes, she will recover" he whimpered when he touched his cheek. 

Yes, the nurse would recover, but my sister might never. The damage she sustained can't be undone. 

I knew my dead parents were watching me, they saw how I failed her. I should have been there for her every second of her life, but I wasn't. As a result she's stuck in this horrible place, even I cannot get her out of. I build this psychiatric hospital especially  for her, to keep her safe.

Mom, dad, I'll do everything to get my revenge on those who let this happen. I'm almost there. Just wait and see.

"Manuel Alverez,  you'll be the first one to go down" my knuckles turned white as my grip on the wheel strengthened.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

397K 8.7K 75
• BOOK 1 OF THE ESZTAR SERIES • Reaching upstairs, he hurled me inside his room and closed the door harshly. I stood there shaking with fear. He look...
Only His Από Shawty💕

Ρομαντική

288K 9.8K 57
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ★★★ "Stop moving and stay still." "Then tell me where we are going then," I replied, getting annoye...
74.1K 1K 61
𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆: 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄, 𝐃𝐑𝐔𝐆𝐒, 𝐀𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐇𝐎𝐋, 𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒, 𝐕𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 ...