Empty Gold • d.meadowes

By sarsasstic

dorcas meadowes had always scorned the idea of love at first sight. love itself was founded upon knowledge ab... More

-information-
PART ONE
-01-
-02-
-03-
-04-
-05-
-06-
-07-
-08-
-09-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
-29-
-30-
-31-
-32-
-33-
-34-
-35-
-36-
-37-
-38-
-39-
-40-
-41-
-42-
-43-
-44-
-45-
-46-
-47-
-48-
-49-
-50-
-note-
PART TWO
-52-

-51-

127 12 5
By sarsasstic

There seemed to be an abundance of storm clouds one bleak Tuesday afternoon as the rain poured ceaselessly with no apparent intention to stop, thereby causing rather heavy cuss words to be shouted towards the heavens from the inhabitants of the little town that took the brunt of the attack from Mother Nature. Emotions ran high and people who were unfortunate enough to be out on the roads either ran for cover, or attempted to make home quickly while trying to keep their poor umbrellas from turning inside out.

Amongst these people were, however, certain optimistic ones who managed to find light of the dismal situation. There could be seen, even in the roads filled with frustrated travellers, a few who walked serenely under the rain, or jumped puddles, or let little paper boats float across the water that has collected over the uneven streets. A few stray dogs could be seen wagging their tails happily as they chased each other around, and one of them nearly crashed into a person as she crossed the road to reach the tall pale blue building on the opposite side.

Dorcas Meadowes paused briefly to look down at the dog, but paid no real mind and continued on her way. She was drenched completely from the storm, her long brown hair sticking to her body, though it didn't seem to bother her much. Upon reaching the building, she pushed open the large door and entered, heaving a deep sigh once she was finally away from the heavy storm.

After climbing several flights of stairs, she came upon a door on the fourth floor landing which she unlocked with a key that she found after a little fumbling around in her pockets. She stepped across the threshold to enter her cosy little apartment, and was immediately greeted by a small dark figure that bounded towards her and began to circle her enthusiastically. But as she moved and droplets of water sprinkled from her hair to the floor, the figure jerked and moved back hurriedly, hissing indignantly at her.

Dorcas smiled. "Sorry, Cheesecake," she addressed the cat. "But I can't pick you up just yet. I need to take a shower first; I'm covered all over in mud."

Thus, Cheesecake the cat stepped back and allowed her entrance into the apartment. Taking off her cloak and stowing away her wand into one of the high shelves so that the cat couldn't reach it, Dorcas stepped into the shower and let the warm water wash all over her.

She showered for a long time. After the downpour outside, the water felt soothing on her skin. When she finally felt clean enough, she wrapped herself in a white dressing gown and left the bathroom. Filling an over excited Cheesecake's bowls with food and water, she settled down on her bed and pulled open the book that lay under her pillow, losing herself into a new world as she began to read.

The apartment Dorcas lived in was tiny if she compared it to her mother's house, although she didn't hate it. There were two small bedrooms, the second one void of any furniture but filled with several cardboard boxes that she hasn't yet bothered to unpack. She had sold most of the furniture and other items she didn't need, though she had kept the items she couldn't get herself to sell, like most of her mother's belongings and some paintings they had hung on the walls, and they were kept in the spare bedroom which she dusted and cleaned every week.

Her bedroom had only a bed, a shelf and a closet. She had sold her old dressing table as the closet came with a built in mirror, and she didn't feel the need to keep a bulky old dresser in her room. The kitchen had a single stove above which was a cupboard, and there was a sitting room in the middle of which stood a round coffee table. Sometimes Dorcas liked to sit by the table and read a book while sipping on a mug of coffee.

A fraction of her bedroom was dedicated to her cat. There was a soft bed complete with a small blanket and fluffy cushions, his bowls of food and several toys he usually didn't touch, for his favourite play thing was Dorcas herself. Indeed, no sooner had he finished his meal than he jumped into her bed and curled up by her side, preparing to fall asleep.

Cheesecake was rather a large cat, with big eyes and fully black fur. She had found him in Diagon Alley and instantly taken a liking to him. He was only a tiny kitten when she had bought him, but now he took up her entire arms when she picked him up. She didn't like leaving him alone at home when she left for work, but what was she to do?

Right after her graduation, which was a little more than one year ago, she had intended to find a job at Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade. She believed she could easily have got a job in one of those places, but Dumbledore had soon warned her against doing so, saying that she was likely to be a target for death eaters as she had done her best to anger them during her school days, and it would be far the better to find a job in some isolated muggle area.

And thus, she spent the first two months of her officially adult life hunting through newspapers and going around town trying to find a job. In the end, she had secured a job in the local library where she was required to arrange books, clean shelves and help visitors find their desired books. It was an awfully dull job, for they barely got any visitors. The town she lived in mostly consisted of working class people, who were far too busy running to and from work to ever have time to read.

Thus, Dorcas spent most of her time in the library sitting in a corner and reading. At this point she felt like she was being to paid to read, but she didn't mind. It wasn't much, but it was enough to get her by.

Cheesecake purred softly as she shifted a little. She smiled down at him and stroked his chin, lost in thought. She missed seeing him every single second she was at the library. She decided to ask the librarian if she could bring him with her and let him run around. She was sure he wouldn't bother anyone or harm the books.

When she had first brought him home, Dorcas had had a brief uncomfortable feeling that perhaps she was on course to becoming one of those stereotypical single cat ladies who knitted mufflers and gossiped about their neighbours. Although she hardly ever gossiped, she did like knitting sometimes, and even though she wasn't as good as her mother was, she wanted to finish the gloves and socks her mother had started but never got around to finish.

But every time she looked at the ball of fur, she felt such a rush of affection for him that she ceased to care about any stereotype. If she was to become a knitting cat lady, then so be it.

"We're going to the Order meeting tonight," she told Cheesecake, who looked curiously up at her. "Are you excited?" She had taken him to Order meetings before, and he was an immensely popular guest. He seemed to love the attention, and he usually roamed around with his tail raised high and chest puffed out, purring loudly anytime the mood in the room became gravely serious. A few members of the Order didn't bother with him, but most, like Alice Longbottom absolutely adored him and brought treats, feeding him secretly under the table.

"Maeve is coming today," she continued. "You haven't met her, have you? This will be her first meeting. I'm sure you'll love her, she's great."

Cheesecake raised his head a little, as though saying, Yes, I'm sure I will.

Dorcas looked up at the clock, deciding to get ready for the meeting. Setting an indignant Cheesecake aside, she closed her book and got up, changing into a shirt and jeans. Then she went into the kitchen and made herself a buttered toast, which she ate slowly. Cheesecake sat near her, licking his front legs.

"Let's go," she said when she had finished eating, and picked the cat up, who stiffened slightly in her arms, holding on tight. She would have to apparate. She knew Cheesecake didn't like the sensation of apparating, but she had no other choice as she did not have a fireplace in her home, and as the Order headquarters was way up in London, she didn't fancy a train ride every other day.

Outside, she walked up to a secluded alleyway and disapparated, Cheesecake clinging to her for dear life. When she had reached her destination, the cat remained frozen in her arms, eyes wide and tail stiff. She smiled apologetically and set him down when he seemed to have recovered. She had the feeling that he only put up with this terrible experience because of all the attention he got afterwards.

The location she had apparated to was quite far from the headquarters, and this was where she had asked Maeve to come. It wasn't her usual destination, but she wanted to have enough time to catch up with Maeve as they walked towards the headquarters.

It wasn't raining here at all. Rather, the place was as dry as bone. Wiping away the droplets of rainwater from her face that had gathered on the short walk from her home to the alley, she watched her cat exploring the area as she waited for her friend to arrive. She didn't have to wait long, for within two minutes a sharp crack echoed through the street and appeared a tall figure with dark hair. As her eyes fell upon Dorcas, she gave a roar of delight and ran forwards to hug her.

Dorcas was knocked off her feet as Maeve crashed into her, but she laughed and hugged her back. Minutes later, they were walking along the road with Cheesecake trotting along obediently beside them.

"So? How are you holding up?" asked Maeve, looking sideways at Dorcas.

"I'm doing fine. I have a job at a local library, and the pay is good. Cheesecake here is good company." She looked at Maeve and smiled. "It's good to have you back."

After they had left school, Silver immediately left the country for her job. Maeve had intended to start working for the Order right away with Dorcas, but she had other priorities. Dorcas didn't mind. She was happy for Maeve, for she had applied for a job at the Ministry and was currently going through a rigorous training program.

"Have you managed to sell the house?"

Dorcas shook her head. "People back away as soon as they learn that someone has died a mysterious death inside the house."

Maeve shook her head pityingly.

"What about you?" asked Dorcas, wanting to change the subject as it verged dangerously on the topic of her mother's death. "How's your training?"

"Very strict," Maeve sighed.

"Which department do you want to work in?"

"I'm going back and forth between the Magical Accidents and Catastrophes and the Magical Transportation. I haven't really decided yet. We'll see where the training takes me."

Dorcas had made sure that their apparition spot was quite far from the Order headquarters. But their walk ended disappointingly soon, and she was momentarily surprised when she saw that she had reached her desired place already. Nevertheless, they halted in their steps as Cheesecake began to circle them, excited to get inside.

Dorcas watched as Maeve observed her surroundings, then said to her with a smile, "Welcome to the Order of the Phoenix."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283 46 14
The first time Charlus Potter met Remus Lupin, he was reminded of a past he was trying to forget. The first time Dorea Potter met Remus Lupin, she wa...
122K 3.2K 25
A story where Xavier can't help but fall in love with his best friend. Only one problem she has a boyfriend, who is a little less friendly than he se...
113K 3.3K 49
Getting over one's first love was always a task people people deemed hard. Ophelia Greengrass, however, finds it to be even harder as she has to get...
89.8K 2K 32
Ariella Mikaelson is the daughter of the famous Hybrid, Niklaus Mikaelson. After the death of her father and mother, her aunt Freya decided to ship h...