Cherished by You

By MKatalee

Dr. Tamika Rose is a busy pediatrician who is still relatively new to life in New York City. Her busy schedul... More

DEDICATION
CHAPTER 1-
CHAPTER 2-
CHAPTER 3-
CHAPTER 4-
CHAPTER 5-
CHAPTER 7-
More on Cherished by You

CHAPTER 6-

672 30 7
By MKatalee

MIKA
Saturday

I stopped the treadmill and got off. My towel motioned across my face to soak up some of this sweat that was pouring from my forehead and my breathing got shallow. My music was still playing as I walked to the locker room to collect my things to head out for the day.

It was 7 am and I was trying to get a quick workout in the morning since I was on call today and was planning to do other things with my day. I wanted to decorate my condo a little and get some new bed sheets and stuff for my room.

I sat on the bench in the locker room taking a quick sip of water, then grabbed my gym bag and coat and headed out of the gym and to my apartment which was just a 5 minutes walk away. Right before I left, the guy at the front desk of the gym stopped me to try to start a convo. He was talking about the gym and asking me about my workouts. He said he was new here and was still learning about the amenities they had at this new gym. He was cute, brown-skinned, beard, buff, usually the type of guy I'd like, but it was kinda weird for a minute.

Sadly, because I was thinking about what Candice said, I gave him my number when he asked for it and he wrote his on a paper and gave it to me as well. I hope he doesn't text me.

"What yuh cooking today?" my mom asked on the phone.

I trudged through the snow real quick because I was freezing.

"Just some curry chicken I think and white rice maybe. I don't really feel for a big meal today," I said in my Caribbean accent.

Candice was still here and she was going to help me cook today she said. She had bought some of the stuff we saw on Pinterest for Gina's baby shower already and she was starting to put some of them together in the meantime.

"Oooh that sounds good," mom said, then the line got silent for a little as I swiped my key card and went into my apartment building. "How are you doing honey? With work and everything?" I smiled at the doorman, Mr. Thornburn, and then hit the elevator button.

"It's going good..." I breathed stepping into the elevator.

Work was good honestly, but I was starting to feel like I was stuck a little. Don't get me wrong I loved helping kids and taking care of them when they were sick, but I was turning thirty and I was feeling like there was other stuff that I wanted to do with my life. I've been studying to be a doctor for almost twelve years of my life and wanted to know what else there was in the world for me to do.

Growing up, I had always been into art and even minored in it in college. It was interesting to me growing up, but I never wanted to commit to it fully when I was in college and had the opportunity to decide between art and medicine. I was just scared of the idea that becoming an artist may mean that there may be times when I might be struggling, just till I really got my foot in the door or got things started. That wasn't something I wanted to commit to. And what if I regretted it? I wanted to get into the business of art and become an art dealer, but medicine was safe.

"What are your plans for today mummy?"

My mind was still stuck on this career stuff. I wished that I was brave enough to make the change. I told myself that eventually, I'd get into it. Like I still painted and drew sometimes, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for and sometimes it felt like something was missing. Even subconsciously, I think that's why I moved to New York. It was one of the biggest states in America for the art world. Maybe I still wanted to be part of it...

I took another deep breath brushing everything off my shoulder and finished the conversation with my mom before I unlocked the door and went into my condo.

"Mika!" Candice said seeing me.

A smile instantly came to my face. She had some Soca music on and she already had the white rice cooking and the meat seasoned and ready to cook for later. I closed the door behind me and placed my gym bag on the floor and took off my coat hooking it onto the coat rack.

Candice was sitting on the carpet in my living room gluing together some decorations for the baby shower with a glass of orange juice watching Insecure on the tv. She was making some pink and orange flowers that looked really cute. I grabbed a protein shake from the fridge.

"How was your workout?"

"It was really good. I'm telling you, you have to come to the spin class with me tomorrow night," I said smiling.

I walked over to the living room sitting on the carpet next to her since I was sweaty and didn't want to get my couch smelly.

"I will go one day." She waved me off cutting the flower shapes out.

"Okay, but I'm telling you if you want that booty to really sit..." I started and I got on my toes in a squat and pretended to twerk like Meg Thee Stallion.

Candice was cracking up smiling.

"You wild Mika." She chuckled.

I looked out at the window in my living room. It was a beautiful day outside even though there was light snow. I was considering going to get some decorations for my condo today. I asked Candice already and I remember she told me she wouldn't be able to go cause she had some work to do for Monday before she went back. I don't know what I wanted yet, but I saw some nice rooms on Pinterest that were cute. Candice rose the flower she had made into the air.

"What do you think about this?"

"Hmm, I don't know." I pretended to mess with her and made a face.

"Are you serious?" she asked concerned.

"I'm joking girl. It looks great. I think Gina is going to like them a lot." I laughed again and she threw the glue stick at me shaking her head.

"Lemme go shower real quick and I'll come back out and help you some more before I head out to Ikea to get the stuff."

"Mkay," she said.

She was sucked back in by the show already. This was her favorite show and mine too, but she loved it to the next level. She was catching up on the season because she had work and missed a few.

"Shit! Come on Lawrence!" she said.

I cracked up walking to my room.

"By the way," I said on my walk over to my bedroom. "I got a guy's number today." I flashed the digits at her.

"Yass Mika," she said smiling.

"Alexa, play What If by Amber Mark." I yawned strutting into my room.

I did some quick stretches, then hopped in the shower.

~~~

I was walking to my apartment after ordering the decorations from Ikea. I got some nice cushions for my couch and some decorations to add on the nightstand in my room as well as the kitchen area. They should all look cute I think when I get them.

As I trodded back home I saw the same guy from a couple of weeks ago. I had seen him so often that I started honestly thinking about him more. I might have started to have a crush on him.

There was something mysterious, innocent, and quiet about him that I liked. He was staring so much that I thought he was shy or something to come up to me. I remember when I was younger, growing up, I used to be a little shy, so I had a special place in my heart for guys who were on the shy and quiet side.

I could imagine he might have a hard time coming up to me and introducing himself if he liked me and I wanted to allow him to talk to me if that's what he wanted.

He stopped to talk to this Puerto Rican guy real quick. It was a short conversation and he was walking again. Now we were both walking in the same general area. My heart raced in my chest thinking about what I would say to him if I went up to him right now.

What if he was an ass or something?

What if he wasn't even staring at me before and I was imagining things?

I put all those fears behind me and got a little closer to him.

"Hey," I said and he turned around.

When we made eye contact a huge white smile came across his face.

"Hey," he said slightly confused but happy to talk to me at the same time.

We both stood across from each other like little kids not saying a word.

"I've seen you around a lot," I said. "And I decided to come to say hello. What's your name?"

I walked up next to him, then we both started walking together again not even saying where either of us was going; we were going there either way.

"I'm Knox." He smiled stretching his hand out to shake mine.

My heartbeat started to slow down a little.

"Mika." I smiled back. "Where are you headed to?"

"To the coffee shop to work on this project," he said showing me his satchel.

It was stuffed with papers and pens.

"What project is it?" I found myself asking curiously.

We had come to the turn where my apartment was located, so he was going straight while this was my stop. He stood across from me and seeing him up close was making my heart race again.

"Just a little independent tech work. I'm working on an app," he said smirking.

"Ohh, well good luck on your app. I'm sure it's going to be great," I said with a small grin on my face.

"Yeah, thanks. I appreciate it." He did a slight chuckle. 

"See you around?" I asked before we parted ways.

"Yeah, I'll see you around, Mika." He smiled warmly.

We then waved and parted ways. I was feeling more attracted to him now. Even though it was a short conversation, during the time, I felt something deep inside saying that he was going to be a part of my life for a long time...I felt as though I had met my husband.

Right when I was about to turn on my street to go home, I got a buzz on my phone. It was the hospital calling me in to see a patient. I moved swiftly to my apartment, changed into my scrubs and white coat, then headed out to the hospital in my BMW.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

274K 11.3K 60
At two opposite ends of the spectrum, Bound by the shackles of marriage. Aarav Singhania Rhea Aggarwal Aarav Singhania, a 27-year-old tycoon, The bi...
630 6 22
"Love has second chance, but it's upto us to take it." Life has been usual for Peter all along. His career soaring, his dreams fulfilled, newer coll...
32.9K 587 19
Eliza and Mike (Dr. Mike) can't stand each other but they are forced to hang out because they have common friends who are dating. Please be aware tha...
9.1K 368 45
"𝙄'𝙢 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙨 𝙖 𝙙𝙤𝙘𝙩𝙤𝙧 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙡 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙡 " _____...