How I Paid For College

By nikkichicky

All Charley ever wanted was to get her college degree. But as money was never something she had and any finan... More

How I Paid For College
(Ch 2) How I Paid For College
(Ch 3) How I Paid For College
(Ch 4) How Paid For College
(Ch 5) How I Paid for College
(Ch 6) How I Paid For College
(Ch 8) How I Paid for College

(Ch 7) How I Paid for College

2K 43 5
By nikkichicky

Chapter 7

She must be losing her mind, Charley thought as she sat at a table outside the café, while Tate got them both coffees. She’d been trying so hard the entire ride back to the city to ignore him and yet here she sat waiting his return.

She couldn’t help caving in when he invited her to coffee, she argued with herself. There was something about the way he’d asked her, the way his eyes dimmed as she’d been about to decline his offer.

The conditions she’d added after had been a spur of the moment thing. As much as she wanted to spend this time with him – something she knew she shouldn’t want – there had to be boundaries. They needed to get to know each other without the added pressure of dating attached to it.

She took a deep breath trying to steady her unhinged nerves. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been this anxious. Tate set every nerve within her body on edge making her feel dazed. And not in a bad way either. These are emotions she normal protected herself against, but there was something about the rush she felt when she was with him. It was something she wanted to explore, but at the same time she was wary of. She knew what these emotions meant, what they developed into if not kept under control, but she assured herself she would keep them under control.

There’s no harm in giving Tate a chance, Scott had said and unbelievably, Charley was considering the truth of those words.

She looked up when Tate came out of the café, two Styrofoam cups in his hands. He smiled at her devilishly and all she could respond was a weakened smile in return, her breath catching.

Oh hell, did he have to look so handsome.

She thanked him with a smile for the coffee he set before her and gladly took a sip, distracting her from the strong male who took a seat across from her.

He continued to smile at her. It was clear he was more than pleased she’d agreed to join him and it lifted Charley’s heart to see him in such good spirits. She knew she’d left him a bit ruffled after she’d practically abandoned him on the dance floor earlier. But she’d had her reasons. She’d come too close… too close to agreeing to go out with him.

She studied him now, curious to know what went on in that mind of his. “Why do you always smile like that?” she found herself asking before she could stop.

“What? Don’t you like my smile?” He asked wiggling his eyebrows, making her laugh.

“I never said that.”

“Ah, so you do like it.” she glowered at him, making him chuckle. “I’ve been told my smile is quite charming.”

Now that she could believe, she thought to herself.

“Do you not agree with their opinions?”

“My opinion is irrelevant.”

“Ah, but it is more relevant than you think.” He sent her a challenging stare over the rim of his cup which she matched with her own.

As much as he rattled her nervous system, Charley knew she couldn’t back down from this stare off, nor would she allow herself to get lost in the crystal clear waters of his eyes.

“I thought you promised to behave.” She remarked.

“I was,” he leaned back, breaking their challenging connection, for which she was grateful. “You’re the one that brought it up.”

“Well now I’m the one changing the subject.” She stated.

He waved a hand between them. “The floor is all yours.”

She sipped on her coffee, giving her a moment to consider what exactly this subject change entailed. A spark of remembrance illuminated her mind.

“So, are you excited about graduating this year? Law school seems like it should be fun.”

He snorted, which almost had her laughing. “Fun isn’t the word I’d use.”

She chuckled. “Then what word would you use?”

He considered this. “Terrifying,” he shuddered.

That one single word held so much. “You’re not looking forward to Law school then?”

“No, I am. Don’t get me wrong. It’s something I’ve been dreaming about for years now. I am looking forward to it.”

“But,” she prompted, sensing there was something he wasn’t telling her.

“But,” he said after a moment, “I guess the thought of me finally going to Law school is terrifying in itself. It means my dream of becoming a lawyer is almost within my grasp. I’m just… scared that I won’t live up to certain expectations.”

“Expectations from your dad?”

“Yes and no,” he replied vaguely. “My dad was never one to push me into something I didn’t want to do. Yeah, sure he’d always hoped I’d join him someday in our family’s law firm, but he wouldn’t want me there if it’s something I didn’t want.”

“So he’s not pushing you into this?” she asked, trying to understand how he feels.

Tate shook his head. “No, it’s not his style. The day I told him I wanted to study law he asked me if I was sure and that I didn’t have to do it just to please him.”

Charley smiled at this. She was glad he had some sort of a support system at home.

“So yes, there is some sort of expectation from his side, but no pressure. I think it comes more from me actually.” He said on a sigh.

Charley could understand where he’s coming from. She placed a lot of pressure on herself to excel and achieve her goals. It was her motivation, among other things.

“I can understand where you’re coming from. I place a lot of pressure on myself as well. The thought of failure is not an option.” She said.

There was a slight smile that played at his lips. “Yeah, it’s the one thing that terrifies me.”

She shrugged. “I think it’s good to have that fear instilled in us. It keeps us on our toes.”

“True,”

They held each others gazes, Tate overjoyed to have gained some common ground with her finally.

Noticing that all too familiar glint in his eyes, Charley hastily said. “Err… about that cake.”

“Ah, yes.” He pulled out two plastic forks he’d swiped from inside the café, handing her one. Opening the container, he sighed making her laugh.

“It can’t be that good. You look like you’re in love.”

“That’s because I am.”

She froze in panic, shocked by his statement. She could hear the double meaning behind his words, especially with the way he looked at her.

The look of panic Tate saw flash in her eyes had him laughing out just too ease her tension. “Relax, I’m only playing with you.”

“I know,” she muttered.

“Here,” he placed a generous piece on his fork, “taste and prepare to be amazed.”

She didn’t like being fed like an infant. She never understood why couples found it romantic to feed each other.

Tate sensed her hesitation, noting the way she screwed up her face when he tried to feed her the fork full of cake. Chuckling, he handed her the fork wordlessly, which she accepted gratefully.

Taking the dark sponge like food into her mouth, Charley tasted its velvet texture and in an instant it felt as if heaven had exploded in her mouth.

“Oh my word, this is… I don’t know if there is an appropriate word to describe how good this is.” her eyes wide with excitement set something off within his chest.

Taking another fork full, Charley dived right into the wonder that entered her mouth, an explosion of chocolaty flavour invading her taste buds.

Tate laughed, overjoyed at the enthusiasm he saw lighting her eyes. Taking a fork full for himself, he’s eyes rolled to the back his head in delight the moment the flavour reached his taste buds, making Charley laugh. She could understand his reaction. This had to be some of the best chocolate cake she’d ever eaten.

“Where did this slice of heaven come from?” she almost moaned in enjoyment.

“There’s this little bakery in Cambridge. I’ll take you there someday if you promise to behave.” He teased, making her shake her head.

“I’ll be on my best behaviour.” She replied, finally feeling relaxed in his presence.

“So,” Tate started, “tell me something about yourself.” She tensed, he noticed, but did a good job of covering it up. “We always seem to be talking about me and my family. I’m beginning to sound conceited.”

She laughed, though it was a bit nervously. “What do you want to know?”

She hated giving him free reign to ask her anything he wanted, but knew she could tactfully avoid anything she didn’t want known or even tell him she wasn’t comfortable talking to him about it.

Tate studied her for a moment. He could see she was tensed. What he couldn’t figure out is why. Was there something she was trying to hide from him? Did she not want him to know about her family, her life? Somehow he sensed this was the answer he was looking for.

“I know you’re not big on talking about you. I hate to admit this, but I have absolutely no idea what your major is.” he admitted.

She chuckled, though it was more out of relief. She really thought he would ask about her family considering how much she knew about his. “There’s nothing wrong with admitting that.”

“No, but since you know I’m headed off to Law School next Fall it seems only appropriate that I know what you’re studying too.” He replied.

She couldn’t argue with that. In fact talking about school was the one thing she was comfortable about. “Well if it’s so important to you…”

“Yes it is, very much so. I’ve already broken the first rule of the dating game.”

Her interest peaked. “And what’s that?”

“Find out what her interests are; listen to what she has to say.” He replied, ticking off the points on his fingers.

She laughed. “But we’re not dating, are we. We’re just two friends enjoy some coffee, cake and conversation.”

He saluted his cup in her direction. “True, so what is your major, Charley?”

“I’m a finance major actually.” She said with some pride.

“Good with figures are you?”

She stuck out her chin. “Yes, yes I am. You got a problem with that.”

He held up his hands in defence. “No, none at all.” In fact he’d love to see those long, shapely legs of hers in a pencil skirt and heels. He sucked in a breath, the image taking on a too vivid root in his mind. “”I’m actually intimidated.”

Her brows rose in surprise. “You are?”

“Yeah, I was never one for numbers. It’s probably why I steered clear of that line of work.”

A slight smile formed on her face, as she rested her elbows on the table. “Is that so? Then what are you doing with me, Mr Thorp?”

He liked this look to her; liked the challenging gaze she sent him. “I have no idea, Ms Donavan. But trust me; your numbers aren’t going to scare me away that easily.” He winked at her, almost laughing at the look of frustration that crossed her face.

“You’d better dig in before all the cake it gone.” She said detracting him from their previous conversation.

Without another word he joined her for cake, coffee and great conversation.

***

Two cups of coffee later, cake completely consumed, Charley and Tate stood outside her dorm room. He’d insisted on walking her to her door. She’d wanted to argue that there was no need, but it didn’t seem as if he would change his mind, so she kept silent and allowed him to escort her to her room.

“Thank you, I had a great afternoon.”

“You sound surprised.” He remarked, that smile of his playing on his lips.

She scrunched up her nose in that way he found adorable. “I am actually. I wasn’t sure you’d keep you end of the bargain.”

“Well, I’m full of surprise. Something you’d learn if you agreed to go out with me.” he hinted.

And there it was. Charley knew it was too good to be true.

“You’re supposed to be behaving.” she said, brow quirked.

“Yes, but as you can recall, I’m sure, I didn’t make any promises to do so outside you dorm room.” He winked at her.

“You’re incorrigible.”

“More like adorable.” He grinned, making Charley roll her eyes. “I’ve been told by others girls that I am.”

She rolled her eyes at his statement, grumbling, though the grumble had more to do with the annoyance she felt toward herself at the twinge of jealousy she felt when he mentioned other girls.

“You’re not jealous, are you?” he was far too observant for her liking.

“No,” she said much to quickly and hastily covered it by adding, “If so many girls think you’re so adorable why not put that charm of your to good use. Find someone who actually cares.” She stated.

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Oh, you care and someday you’ll admit it.”

“Unlikely,” she muttered. “Tate, there are so many girls at this university, in this city in fact, who I’m sure would love to go out with you, why bother with me?”

“Because,” he stepped closer to her, his musky scent making her feel dazed, “you’re the only one that matters and the only one I want.”

Defiant till the end, Charley held his gaze even as she felt a slight blush warm her cheeks. How the hell was he able to make her blush? With one sentence he had her reliving her awkward teen phase, one she’d had no choice but to get over the moment she decided to become a part-time stripper.

Tate saw that fierce look shining in her eyes, but the blush, the one he’d had the pleasure of surfacing, was indication enough of the hard work he’d put in with her today. He might not have gotten a yes on that date yet, but he’d get it someday. It was only a matter of time until he broke through her defences and she would be his.

“I’ll see you around, Charley Donavan.” He took her hand in his, his eyes never leaving her as he brushed a gentle kiss to her knuckles and with one last smile, took his leave, waving at her over his shoulder.

“Shit,” Charley swore, “I’m so screwed.”

***

Her scent still lingered in his car. The smell of summer, he mused a bit dreamily, of freshly picked flowers. That fragrance wrapped all around him, threatening to drive him crazy. Tate racked a hand through his hair, trying to focus on the road ahead, but to no avail was he able to get Charley out of his head.

Too pent-up to go home just yet, Tate took a drive down to the park.

The weather was pleasant. A leisurely stroll was the perfect way to end off the day and an equally perfect Sunday afternoon, and hopefully relieve some of the madness that swirled inside of him. It had to madness, Tate thought that had him so wrapped up in one woman.

Tate tried to take in the relaxing atmosphere. The sun shone brightly, families and couples alike enjoying what this spring day had to offer. Taking a seat on a nearby bench, Tate sat and watched all the people who passed him by.

For a moment calmness seemed to take over him as he watched a family frolicking on the grass, ending off what looked like a picnic. But as soon as that calmness came it went the moment he laid eyes on the many couples locked in each others embraces.

A pang of jealousy took root in his being as he watched them, noting how happy they looked and immediately the image of Charley came back to him.

He wished she could be here beside him. To see the sun shining through her tress of golden hair, to hear her laughter sing along with the twittering birds, just to feel her wrapped in his arms.

Tate swore silently, all the emotions he’d hoped to suppress for just a bit came back again. Standing from the bench, he continued to walk for a few more minutes, until he realised there was no way of obscuring Charley from his mind.

He knew the only way out of this madness was to be with her, but that was another story on its own. He still couldn’t quite figure out why she was so intent on pushing him away. He’d tried digging deep, but no matter where he started, Tate always found he would hit an iron wall that prevented him from see in her heart.

He’d hoped for her to get to know him better, that opening up to her about his own life would help in his cause to get her to go out with him, but that hadn’t worked at all.

Maybe he was being too subtle or perhaps a different approach would work better.

A grin formed on his face. He knew Charley was attracted to him, knew there was a connection between them on a physical level. He’d hoped he wouldn’t have to take this route, wanted to show her that he cared about her more than physically, but it hadn’t worked.

He knew now the only way he would be able to get Charley to give into him was to use the attraction that sparked between them. Oh, he wouldn’t push it too far. He didn’t want to scare her off. He’d try and be as subtle as the situation allowed him, but wouldn’t stop until she was his.

“Charley Donavan, you’re about to meet your match.” Tate whispered to himself, a sense of anticipation for when he would see her again taking over.

***

The familiar dinging of a bell rang over head as Charley entered the Marino’s diner. The familiar smell of grilled meats, deep fired goods, pastries and freshly brewed coffee felt like home to her. Charley never really had a home. Growing up she’d moved around a lot, but coming to Marino’s was like coming home. It was the only permanent place in her life.

The diner wasn’t that busy for a Wednesday afternoon, but Charley knew with Marino’s speciality being the special of the day, the place would only get busier as it drew closer to dinner time.

Funky, upbeat music played in the background for the customers to enjoy. The sound of someone singing drifted from the kitchens and Charley smiled already knowing Joey, Mr Marino’s – the owner of the diner – grandson who worked at the diner part-time after school, was the owner of the voice. Just as she knew at any moment Mr Marino would be along to shut him up. As if on cue Mr Marino’s voice could be heard, yelling for his grandson to keep it down.

Yes, this was home, the one place she felt comfortable and the one place she felt the strongest sense of family.

Charley smiled and waved at the woman standing behind the counter, the telephone receiver wedged between her shoulder and ear. At forty-five, Silva Reynolds was every bit as beautiful as the day Charley had met her when she was but seven years old. Her dark hair was cropped short, hanging just above her shoulders, while her chocolate coloured eyes held nothing but warmth in them. She was slender, the picture of natural beauty for a woman her age.

Granted the older woman had aged over the years and by the few visible lines on her face, you could see the hardship she had faced in her time. Charley knew of those hardships, some of which they’d faced together. But nevertheless, Silva still was and would always be the woman who’d saved her and all she held dear from a life in foster homes or worse.

Silva smiled and waved when she noticed Charley. Going over to join her, Silva said her goodbyes and came about the counter to hug Charley.

“I wasn’t sure if you were still coming.” She said as she released Charley from her embrace.

“You know I’d never miss this. Besides, I wouldn’t stand up my date.” She said making Silva laugh.

“Yes, well he’d over there, waiting for you.” Silva indicated to the furthest end of the diner counter.

Charley smiled, feelings of love and protectiveness filling her being. Without another thought she headed over to stand behind her ‘date’, wrapping her arms about his waist. She felt him hop with fright in her arms and stifled a laugh.

“Hey,” he yelled and was about to complain when he turned and saw Charley’s face smiling back at him, “Charley!”

A warm, loving smile brightened his face instantly as he jumped right into her arms, making her take a step back at the force of his weight.

“Woah, I thought you said you were too old for hugs.” She stated, but was happy for the hug she’d received.

“Not when it’s from you.”

Lowering him to his feet, Charley stood back to survey him. At nine years of age, Jamie Donavan, her baby brother, was far taller then most kids his age. And far more intelligent too, Charley thought. He had the same blonde locks as she, the same smile and not forgetting the same stubborn streak too, for which she felt slight satisfaction.

Jamie was a normal nine years old boy, who enjoyed spending time with his family, loves baseball and prefers to send hours playing T.V. games instead of doing chores and homework.

But there were shadows too. Thankfully these shadows hadn’t grown as far as they had in Charley. He’d been too young to understand when their mom had passed away. But they were there. They were shadows of questions unanswered or answers not understood for his age. She’d always tried to be straight with him, but even a boy who was far more mature for his age, couldn’t process the truth of why their lives had ended up the way they had.

All things considered, Charley mused, their lives had changed for the better. Yes, she wishes Jamie could have gotten to know their mom the way she did, but thinking about all that happened; all the pain, heartache and dramatic changes she’d had no choice but to face on her own, she was glad Jamie hadn’t endured them as she did.

Looking at his smiling face, she knew she wanted to give him more, far more than she’d ever had.

“I brought you something.” She pulled a paper bag she’d brought with her from behind her back.

“What is it?”

“Open it up and then you’ll see.” She said excitedly.

Jamie tugged at the knot and glee filled his face when he pulled out the new video game his sister had gotten him. He’d always wanted this one. He’d seen it in the store when he was out with Charley, but didn’t want to ask her for it. He knew the money could be better spent, though on what he never knew. It was something he always remembered Silva saying to Charley whenever she did bring him a surprise.

Delight filled his face before a frown crossed it too. “What’s wrong? Don’t like it?” she asked worried she might have gotten it wrong. All the games looked the same to her.

He shook his head. “No, it’s the right one. Thank you, Charley, but don’t you need the money for something else?”

Tears welled in her eyes. Charley wasn’t prone to tears, in fact, she’d learned at an early age tears solved nothing, but with Jamie there were no barriers that could keep her strong.

“Jamie, I wouldn’t have bought it for you if I couldn’t afford it. You understand right.”

He nodded. “Yeah, I do.”

“Come here.” She pulled him into her arms. Could she have asked for a better brother?

“Thanks, Charley, you’re the best.”

She smiled at him and enjoyed watching the happiness that spread across his face.

“You spoil him too much.” Silva chided, but even as she said this Charley could see the tears in her eyes.

“I don’t do it enough.”

The older woman just shook her head, knowing she was a tough nut to crack.

“This is for you,” Charley handed her a small box.

“Oh, child. You didn’t have to spend money on me.” Silva said with tears in her eyes.

“Nonsense. I wanted too. Come on, open it.”

Silva lifted the lid of the box. Her hand covered her mouth as she gasped. In it was a bottle of perfume she’d always wanted, but could never afford. Being an assistant manager and waitress when needed, didn’t exactly allow for such indulges, especially when you have a young boy to look after.

She didn’t mind though, Silva knew the best decision she ever made was taking legal guardianship of these two sweet children after their mother and her best friend passed on. Her life would be so lonely and empty without these kids and thanked God everyday for bringing them into her life.

“Thank you, Charley.” She said on an embrace. “It really wasn’t necessary, but appreciated.”

“You’re welcome. You deserve it and so much more. This is just my way of saying thank you. I wouldn’t be where I am today without you.”

“Nonsense, you were always born for great things. All I did was give you the nudge you needed.” She said, taking sniff of her perfume. “Oh, that is wonderful. How could you afford all this?”

Charley sent her a look that said you know how.

Silva steered her away from Jamie, not wanting him to overhear their conversation. “As grateful as I am for the gift and that you’ve been able to study, you know I wish you didn’t have to work at that club.”

Charley huffed, knowing she was about to get the third degree about this. It was no secret that Silva didn’t approve of her job and had tried to persuade her to reconsider her options, but when you don’t have much of an option you have to make sacrifices for the things you really want.

Working at the club not only helped her pay her tuition fees, but helped Silva and Jamie out with groceries and, when she could, Charley would spoil both Jamie and Silva like she did today.

“Look child, I know you are tired of my interference, but I’m only concerned about you.” Silva voiced in a sympathetic tone.

Charley sighed. “I know, but I’m fine. You know I’m only working there so I can pay for college and help you guys out.”

“Yes and we’re grateful for that.”

Silva knew she was fighting a battle she couldn’t win. Charley was headstrong, much like her mother. Granted, Silva knew she wouldn’t take the same route as her mom, she was much too strong for that, but that didn’t stop her from worrying.

“I’m just saying,” She continued, “if an opportunity present’s itself that can help you pay for your fees and get you out of that club then take it. Don’t worry about me and Jamie. I can take care of us until you’re done with school and can afford to take care of you both. I know that’s what you really want to do.”

It’s true. She didn’t want to take Jamie away from Silva, but hoped someday she’d be able to afford a place where they all could live together, Silva included.

“I will,” Charley promised. “But for now can we not worry about this.”

Reluctantly Silva agreed. “Okay,”

“Good, now.” Charley said going over to Jamie.” Let’s go home, I’m starved.”

Silva chuckled. “I’ll just let Mr Marino know I’m clocking out for the day. You know how forgetful he can be.”

Charley laughed. “Yes I do, all too well.”

Yes this place was the closest she had to home.

***

Another chapter done, hope you enjoyed :)

And remember, comments are always welcome, always love hearing from you guys.

Happy reading :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 301 25
*PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE* Simone is another victim of the system who ran from foster home to foster home, due to the mistakes of her mother and fathe...
343K 6.6K 52
Emotions are what makes us human, especially love. Caring for other individuals keeps our humanity intact. But, what's Peri to think when the very fe...
1.4K 11 18
[COMPLETED] Previously : My Bully Romeo Leo Valentine: Quarterback and Captain of Stormbrook High, most handsome guy in school, the player but with a...
376 23 22
Passion has been taking care of her lil sister Zadie since they were little. She twenty two her sister sixteen. Passion always had dreams of profess...