The Desire Variable - Vol. I

By DarlaCassic

When Andy starts a complex and steamy love affair with her new boss, she discovers there's more to his arroga... More

【FREE TO READ AGAIN!!】
【01】Welcome to Kelex
【02】Andy With the Good Scripts
【03】The Dream Team
【04】Lunchtime
【05】Making new friends
【06】Home not-so-sweet home
【07】Idris
【08】Poking the bear
【09】Oliver With a Twist
【10】New Roomie
【11】Donkey Kong
【12】Andy Out
【13】New Apartment, New Me
【14】Long Live Mario
【15】NAM-MOT-AAA-AAA
【16】Game Night
【17】Never Have I Ever
【18】Sweet Dreams
【19】Girl Time
【20】Helping Hand
【21】Cockblocker
【22】Showing Off
【23】Corner office
【24】Sweet Ride
【25】Lover of the Russian Queen
【26】Priority Number One
【27】Lawyering Up
【28】Blondie
【29】Sealing the Deal
【30】Getting Ready
【31】Double Date
【32】First Taste
【33】Honk
【34】That Awkward Moment
【35】Cliche Makeover Scene
【36】Sweet Oli
【37】Just a Sex Thing
【38】Dilemma
【39】All Me, Then
【40】Welcome Distraction
【41】Like Old Times
【42】All Your Fault
【43】Mary Who?!
【44】Trying IRL
【45】Earth-Shattering
【46】Nirvana
【47】Walk of so Much Shame
【48】All the Salt in the World
【49】Dealing With Consequences
【50】Gorgonzola and Prosciutto
【52】Hot and Cold
【53】Less Than a Minute
【54】Uncomfortable Couch
【55】School Trip
【56】The Nerd Herd
【57】Setting Rules
【58】Bacon With a Side of Embarrassment
【59】Trivia Night
【60】Everybody Loves Pi
【61】No Right Answer
【62】Change of Plans
【63】Making Up
【64】All Work and no Play
【65】D-Day
【66】Baby
【67】Nailing It
【68】Fighting Robots
【69】Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun
【70】Back to Reality
【71】The Anniversary
【72】Fierce Competition
【73】In Deep
【74】Trust
【75】Exposed
【76】Andrea's Secret
【77】Wednesday
【78】Morning Routine
【79】The Beau
【80】Passionate Dork
【81】Wordless Declarations
【82】Interrupted Lessons
【83】Andy to the Rescue
【84】Back to the Roots
【85】Kicking Ass
【86】The Wise Father
【87】Unexpected Confession
【88】Eventful Morning
【89】A Month
【90】Secrets, Secrets Hurt Someone

【51】Hero Orange

31.8K 1.6K 270
By DarlaCassic

The lunch break and our talk had smoothened things a little, and Saturday afternoon was much more amiable. We communicated, and our exchanges were somewhat free of tension.

However, despite our best efforts, I was starting to doubt we would ever be ready for Hello World. We still had a lot of issues to overcome, and countless tests to run. We had until Wednesday – so four days – to do it all before the team had to leave for San Francisco. Our slot was scheduled for Saturday, but without our powerful computers, and with the convention's animation and activities, I doubted we'd be able to work on it properly.

What would be the most laborious task was getting rid of the nail polish. While we were reaching a ninety-five percent accuracy with flashy nails, we couldn't get it to go over fifty percent without it. We knew it was possible, but it required much more time than what we were given.

I was stuck, having some issues regarding the algorithm, and Lex heard my low growl of annoyance. "Anything I can do to help?" he proposed, getting into my field of view.

"I need to check on a few things while the hand recognition algorithm is running so I can make some adjustments," I explained, hoping it would help settle the matter.

"Do you want me to sign while you inspect?"

"I... It would help, yes," I answered hesitantly.

Ever since we had begun our work on my app, it was common to see one of the nerds wearing bright nails. While the other employees had found it pretty amusing at first, it had now become a common sight, so no one was fazed by a pink-nailed man. Lex, however, had never worn any. At least I didn't think he had, and I could hardly imagine him rocking painted nails. If he was to help me with it, it meant he had to wear nail polish.

"Are you fine with wearing nail polish?" I asked, unsure how he would take it.

He cocked his eyebrow up in his arrogant way, as if my question was absolutely stupid. Ah, yeah, of course he wouldn't be okay with it. The man was a genius with millions in his bank account. Also, he happened to be the manliest man I'd ever met, so nail polish was a no.

"I've heard Steven say red was the most efficient one, do you have any?" Lex asked, surprising me.

"Hmm... I'm not sure which colors I have," I said after a few seconds of stupor before I reached for my bag. Knowing I constantly needed it for work, I was always carrying some nail polish. I took out the few ones I had and settled them in front of me. There was no red left, but I had a pretty nice orange one. The nail polishes I had weren't of high quality, but they were meant to dry fast.

I picked the orange one and showed it to him; he barely glanced at it and nodded. "Do you want me to apply it?" I offered, trying my best to hold back a burst of laughter. He nodded again and moved to sit near me, before resting his flat hand in front of me.

I looked down at Lex's strong, veiny hand and shook my head with a smile while opening the bottle. It was essential that I managed to discreetly snap a picture of this because it would probably be one of those once-in-a-lifetime occurrences. I tried to focus the best I could, but I couldn't help the occasional giggle. The situation was so absurd I couldn't get over it. This was truly hilarious.

"Stop giggling," he ordered dryly, and I worried I'd offended him. I wasn't making fun of him at all, but rather at the situation. "You'll make a mess," he continued more softly, and I could hear his smile. My doubts faded away. He was totally fine with this.

I finished his right hand and started on the left one while he examined my crafty work. The situation was so unexpected and distracting, I didn't even realize how close we were. Bent over on the desk, my arm was casually resting over his muscular forearm, my hand mindlessly clasped around his thick wrist. I was moving his hand and fingers without a semblance of the usual uneasiness I had around him. Once I was done, I straightened back up and looked at him while he analyzed his nails.

"So, does it suit you?" I teasingly asked.

"Not my best color, I have to say. But it's still better than green," he continued with humor.

"You've worn green nail polish?"

"With three big sisters, you better believe I wore every single color that exists, as well as all sorts of makeup. I had blond, curly hair as a child, so I was my sisters' favorite styling head. I only got peace when I cut my hair," he explained. "Still, I volunteered now and then when they needed to practice. Between the age difference and the fact that I barely shared any interests with them, it wasn't often that we could spend time together, so I took every opportunity I had."

His confession revealed a lot, and it was endearing to imagine kid Lex being his sisters' willing guinea pig.

Lex shook his hands in an effort to make his nails dry faster, and I turned to my screen, preparing the software. I settled the webcam and opened the windows I needed.

During the following hour, I made him sign various sentences repeatedly, my eyes focused on the results I was given. I eventually managed to correct some of my problems, and once we were done, Lex came over to check the results with me, slipping his glasses on.

We read the lines, scanned the script, and Lex nodded when we reached the bottom. "Good job. We'll have to run some tests, but I think it'll help with the final version."

I nodded too and turned slightly to look at him. Unable to stop myself, I admired his gorgeous profile, feeling as if I were seeing him in a new light. Ever since lunch, I felt as if something had changed between us. I didn't see him so much as my boss, or as the brooding, hot as fuck genius he was, but rather as a human being. Was it my perception of things that had changed, or was he more open and relaxed around me?

As I was looking at him right now, I didn't see an intimidating half-god, but a man made of flesh and flaws. A man who happened to be rocking hero orange nails because he wanted to help me out. A wave of tenderness for him made my chest expand. I wanted to kiss him right now, but it wasn't out of lust or desire – even though those feelings were always there when it came to him. No, this time, it was out of affection.

Lex looked away from my screen and turned to me, meeting my eyes. I held his gaze, forcing myself not to look elsewhere. I wanted him in more ways than I was ready to admit.

I stayed silent, not knowing what to do about my conflicted feelings, and he could probably see I was somewhat tormented. He frowned slightly, and his pleased mood shifted into something else. I didn't know what to do or say. It was hard to forget how cold he'd been with me ever since we'd slept together.

It may have been stupid, but I needed him to want me, needed to feel wanted by him. More than ever, I was seeing how out of my league he was. I was pretty confident he was done with me, but I couldn't get over him.

A sense of sadness overwhelmed me, and I felt pathetic. Before he could guess it, I turned around, looking back at my computer. "Thank you for your help," I said, sensing his eyes still on me. My voice wasn't firm or confident, and I feared I had unwillingly shown my emotional distress. I was certain I had when he spoke again.

"Andrea, I..." he started, with kindness in his voice. Or was it pity?

He stopped, looking for the proper words, and my mind went wild with anticipation. What was he going to say? His pity would be offensive in many ways. No, what I wanted was to know I wasn't the only one so hooked. He had to say I was constantly on his mind, just as was he mine. I wanted to hear that the magnetic pull he had on me went both ways.

"Can I have the polish remover?" he warily asked. I clenched my jaw, disappointed he hadn't gone the way I'd hoped. I had ruined it. The easygoingness of the afternoon was gone because I couldn't keep myself in check.

I nodded and fetched the bottle as well as two cotton pads. He moved back to his side of the desk after I handed them to him. The intense smell of nail polish soon reached my nostrils, and I realized I hadn't snapped a picture in the end. Maybe I'd have another occasion.

By the end of the day, despite our best efforts, I was almost sure we wouldn't make it on time. Feeling the upcoming failure, I was ready to stay late, but Lex insisted I went home. I was too tired to get anything decent out of my exhausted brain anyway, so I complied. He decided he'd done enough for the day too, and he gathered his things while I was getting ready to leave.

"Do you want me to drive you home?" he offered, slipping on his jacket.

In all truth, I was feeling too lazy to take the bus all the way home. It was the weekend, and there weren't as many buses. I knew I'd wait for a while before I caught one. Had I not known that Lex lived on the opposite side of town, I probably would have accepted his generous offer. However, I couldn't ask it of him now. Especially given our history.

"I'm good," I said with a forced smile, hooking my bag over my shoulder. I wasn't coming in again tomorrow, and I had taken with me some work that would keep my Sunday very busy.

We walked together in silence to the elevator and patiently waited for it. "Thank you, again, for coming today," he said, looking down at me.

"It's okay, I didn't have anything planned anyway," I replied, forcing another smile on my face as I glimpsed at him. He had a strange expression on his face, and I confusedly stared back. Some internal battle seemed to be ongoing within him, his eyes traveling over my face, his brows twitching with intense reflection.

Like an urge he couldn't resist, Lex reached for the back of my neck, and at the same moment, he bent forward. Utterly confused, I only understood what was happening when his lips met mine for an ardent, urgent kiss.

An intense shiver ran through my whole body when his soft mouth collided with mine. I was so stunned that I didn't even react, recoil, or say anything. I stood there, my entire frame taut, trying to process what was happening. He stayed unmoving for a moment, not trying to get more, and I soon relaxed, my hand reaching up to rest on his jaw.

It felt so right to be like this in his embrace.

It wasn't like any kiss we'd shared before. It wasn't lust-filled. We weren't devouring or seducing each other... It was just an irrepressible need.

Lex moved back, and I already missed the contact. My eyes opened and found him staring at me, his face inches from mine. The wonderment I could see in his irises warmed me up even more than the kiss we'd just shared. With his hand still on my nape, keeping my head tilted toward him, he reached with his other hand to rest it on the side of my face. He then bent to steal another hungry peck, filling me with joy.

He wanted me. Lex wanted me as much as I wanted him.

The kiss grew more intense, and then came the vertiginous graze of his tongue over my sealed lips. I didn't resist and unlocked my jaw, desperate to take this further.

The loud "ding" of the elevator resonated next to us, and it startled me. I immediately jumped away, breaking the contact of our lips while Lex took his time letting go of his hold on me. Moving back, he looked at me with a hint of regret in his eyes and released me just as the doors opened next to us.

Dumbfounded, I tried to collect my hectic thoughts as I turned to the elevator. There were two people already in there, and I was thankful we hadn't been caught kissing in full view. Lex let me get in first, and he followed. We faced the doors silently. I still couldn't get over what had just happened. There was no need to wonder any longer. I wasn't the only one wanting more of what we had shared.

Knowing this was great for the ego, less for my willpower. Yes, I would definitely have me some slex again; the only question was when.

Probably soon...

We reached the ground floor, and I exited the confined space before turning around to look at Lex. "See you on Monday," I told him. He nodded, and I turned around to exit the building. On my way out, I couldn't shake an irrepressible smile from my lips.

Lex wanted me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 1.7K 62
Gracie is now the CEO of the multimillion-dollar company she built from scratch. To take her revenge on her uncle, who ruined her life, a business ty...
290K 24.7K 39
• WATTYS 2022 WINNER • When Iris Monet married millionaire Jared Darling, she had only one rule - that he could cheat on her with anyone except the h...
993K 57.4K 82
When yet another curveball puts Andy and Lex's relationship into serious jeopardy, the stakes become higher than they've ever been, forcing the coupl...
33.3K 2.4K 49
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...