101 Writing Tips from an Exha...

Door ray_of_sunshine9

I've been reviewing stories on Wattpad for a while now and, boy, has that been a journey. Your stories have m... Meer

Welcome!
Table of Contents
|| PART I: The (Exhausting) World of Reviewers ||
Types of Reviewers
Types of Comments
Types of Authors
Pick Your Poison
Stalking Your Reviewer
Facing Harsh Reviews
Most Frustrating Reviewers
Most Frustrating Requesters
An Extremely Sugar-Coated Review
Payment
|| PART II: Overall Writing Advice ||
Blurbs: Novels
Blurbs: Poetry + Short Story
Run-On Sentences
Planning Your Story
Dialogue
Redundancy + Sentence Structure
Showing vs Telling
Writing an "Interesting" Story
Finding Your "Voice"
Point of View (First/Second/Third Person Writing)
Writing Styles
Pacing
Spelling + Proofreading
Starting Your Story
Prologues
Commas
Writer's Block
A Good Protagonist
Foreshadowing
Writing Numbers
World Building
Diversity
LGBTQ+
Is This Plot Point Necessary?
Descriptions
Writing Multiple POVs
Name-Dropping
Writing Children
Switching POVs
Internal Monologue
Tips for Beginner Writers
Kiss Scenes
|| PART III: Cliché vs Unique Tropes ||
Quiz Time: Is Your Story Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Poetry Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Short Story Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Fanfiction Cliché?
Love Triangles
The Best Friend
Love at First Sight
Overused Writing Clichés
Good Girl; Bad Boy
Types of Antagonists
Types of Supporting Characters
The Alpha Werewolf
Types of Love Interests
The Mary Sue
Dead Parents
Open-Ended Stories
Quiz Time: Is My Character Attractive Enough?
|| PART IV: Making Your Book "Wattpad Famous" ||
Covers
How to Get "READS" On Wattpad
Awards
Community Accounts

Past vs Present Tense

1.4K 158 271
Door ray_of_sunshine9

So, you've decided to write a story. You've got characters -- Harry Styles and a French Fry. You've got a plot -- Harry Styles and French Fry have high school science together, they are lab partners, they fall in love, they get married, and... on the wedding day, French Fry eats Harry Styles!

Now, you need to start writing the story. But, before you begin -- before you even type your first word -- you must decide on a tense.

And, believe me, if you don't decide on a tense and just 'go with the flow', it is very, very obvious. So please choose a tense.

In this chapter, I'll be breaking down the difference between past tense and present tense. I'll briefly discuss why people choose one tense over the other, and quickly break down the different types of past tense (because, dear lord, there are nine of them).

The past vs present tense debate is an interesting one. Most people I know don't have a preference; they just want a story that is written well. However, I also know people who refuse to read stories in present tense (some even refuse to read books in first-person!).

First, though, what is past tense and what is present tense?

Past tense is when the verbs you use convey something that has already happened. For example:

French Fry pointed at the stars. [pointed = past tense]

Present tense is when the verbs you use convey something that is currently happening. For example:

French Fry points at the stars. [points = present tense]

Make sense so far? Let's go through a few more examples:

Harry Styles blinked back his tears. Was French Fry really drinking a glass full of tomato sauce? [past tense]

Harry Styles blinks back his tears. Is French Fry really drinking a glass full of tomato sauce? [present tense]

The readers rolled their eyes at Sunshine's pathetic excuse of an example. [past tense]

The readers roll their eyes at Sunshine's pathetic excuse of an example. [present tense]

Now, most stories are written in simple past tense. Harry Styles felt sick. He walked to the bar. He drank away his problems. He hoped French Fry would forgive him.

These stories are written as if you are sitting someone down and telling them about something that has already happened. These things have already occurred, the events are over, but you can't resist telling them the tale. It is very common in novels, and it's so common that most people don't really need time to settle into past tense.

As for present tense? Harry Styles feels sick. He walks to the bar. He drinks away his problems. He hopes French Fry will forgive him.

This is actually quite rare. Don't get me wrong -- there are fantastic stories that are told using present tense. I'm confident that you've read at least one. However, compared to past tense, it is used less. This is because it is a more recent practice. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with present tense, some people who have been reading past tense all their lives may find it jarring to have to dive into a tense they are unfamiliar with. Present tense is most often used by beginner writers, short stories, and literary fiction.

Additionally, some people struggle with present tense because they simply don't find it believable. How can they be living through a story written in present tense, when the story has clearly already happened, and when they can just flick to the ending and see what happens?

Some people, on the other hand, think present tense is fantastic. They find it more immersive and hooking. Some suggest that the novelty of it makes the reader pay closer attention. Some suggest that the immediacy of the verbs alone makes the events of the story seem more intense.

In other words, one tense is not better than the other. They are both effective in their own manner and, as long as they are mastered and used appropriately, then it doesn't matter which you choose.

My advice? While present tense is seen as more 'eccentric and unique' and past tense is seen as more 'traditional and common', write in whatever you feel most comfortable in. Don't worry about whether readers will turn away due to your tense. Regardless of a tense, a good story with enticing characters and a gripping plot is all you need.

So, if you write a story about Harry Styles and a French Fry, it doesn't matter what tense you use. No one will read it. Except me. Wait, never mind, just asked Painite -- she'll read it, too!

Now, let's say you've chosen your tense. Each tense has a few forms, and it's important that you know them before you start writing them.

Forms of Present Tense:

1. Simple Present:

French Fry slaps him on the face.

In other words, general story-telling. 'He says, she walks, they cry.'

2. Present Perfect:

French Fry has slapped him on the face.

Since it is has slapped, this is still present tense. This form is used to show the past in present tense. For example, a good way to use the above example is:

My gaze flickers between Harry's red cheek and French Fry's outstretched potato fingers. I can't believe my own eyes.

French Fry has slapped him square on the face.

3. Present Continuous:

French Fry is slapping him on the face.

This is showing things that are happening in the now -- even more so that simple present tense. In this example, we see French Fry slapping him on the face. We are reading that it is happening.

4. Present Perfect Continuous:

French Fry has been slapping him on the face.

Oh, poor Harry Styles if this is the case. Why? This means that the action started in the past, is continuing in the present (and may also happen in the future!).

5. Future in the Present:

French Fry will be slapping him on the face.

This tells you something that is going to happen in the future, but is written in present tense.

Now, what about past tense? This is where the fun really begins. There are nine of these.

1. Simple Past:

French Fry slapped him on the face.

Easy. Event occured in the past.

2. Past Perfect

French Fry had slapped him on the face.

This is talking about the past of what is happening in the story.

3. Past Continuous:

French Fry was slapping him on the face.

Again, similar to Present Continuous, it is somewhat more in the moment. We don't see that he was slapped in the face. We see the slapping of the face.

4. Past Perfect Continuous

French Fry had been slapping him on the face.

This conveys something that occurred in the past, continued to occur in the present, but is no longer occurring now.

And, that's it-- wait, there's more? Poor Harry and his cheek!

5. Past Habitual:

French Fry used to slap him on the face.

This describes something that once happened continuously or repeatedly. This can also be used in present tense. For example:

French Fry used to slap him on the face, but now she slaps him on his fingernail.

6. Time-Specific Past Habitual:

Back in 1891, French Fry would slap him on the face.

In this example of past habitual, a time-frame is included. And, yes, I've decided to make this a historical fiction. Fight me. Once again, this can be used in present tense stories.

7. Past Intensive:

French Fry did slap him on the face.

This is mostly used to confirm something that has already happened. This can be used to confirm events in stories written in present tense. Example:

I admit it — French Fry did slap him in the face. And I feel horrible for not saying anything about it.

8. Future in the Past:

French Fry was going to slap him on the face.

The name makes it quite obvious. This describes something that will happen in the future of the story without breaking out of past tense.

9. Past-Perfect Subjunctive:

Had he not been so handsome in a chicken suit, French Fry would have slapped him by now.

This one is a bit complex, but basically, it describes a counterfactual event in past tense.

So, by now, you're probably a bit overwhelmed. A bit confused. Are you only supposed to use one form of each tense? Absolutely not. These are just here to guide you when you're unsure if what you've written is conveying what you wanted it to convey. You're supposed to use a mix between each type of past tense, or each type of present tense.

Here are some ground rules, however:

1. Keep it consistent between past and present. Do not switch from past to present within your story (unless, of course, we're talking a completely different style -- flashback, letter writing, flashforward). There is nothing more disconcerting that changing tenses every second word.

2. Don't overuse the continuous forms. There are some instances where it is effective to use the continuous form. For example:

French Fry looked at Harry Styles and rolled her potato eyes. He was daydreaming. Again.

However, let's look at:

He was in love with strawberry ice-cream.

Is it more effective to say that he was in love with French Fry? Or is it more effective to just write:

He loved strawberry ice-cream.

Both of them are grammatically correct, and both of them work fine. However, you just need to make sure you don't overuse the 'he was' or 'he is' before the verb. It can get jarring for the reader.

Otherwise, that's it! Choose your tense and go to town! I hope you found this chapter informative and helpful. As always, if you have topics you would like me to discuss, let me know! Remember, you can also keep them light-hearted -- do you want me to write a ridiculously sugar-coated review? Or should I take out my kitchen knives and tear my own manuscript to shreds? Or should I talk about the types of authors? The types of awards on Wattpad? How to get reads on Wattpad? Should I do some myth-busting on what it's like to be a reviewer/community admin? Let me know. I'm always open to feedback.

In the next chapter, we will discuss planning a story and how to keep a plot cohesive. Stay tuned!

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

264K 10.7K 45
When Naina Mittal walks into the pristine Headquarters of The Maurya Group, one of the world's largest conglomerates, to meet the CEO AKA the most ad...
227K 5.1K 73
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
2.8K 173 25
When a young boy born into a prominent clan of Samurai fails to impress the elders he is sent away to live with a disgraced one armed Samurai. Little...
667K 1.1K 22
Smexy One shots😘 Got deleted twice 3rd times a charm🤦🏻‍♀️😭