My Taken Mate

By kauigirl

Hayley Hanes has an amazing family who can be a bit intrusive at times. She loves them regardless, enjoys spe... More

Early Morning
Fitting In
Making Moves
Party Prep
Bonfire Discoveries
Regret
Broken Hearted
The Struggle
In Pieces
Sunday Brunch
Seniority
Workflow
What ifs and What is
Death Defying Dinner
Confession
Weekend Work
Torture
Secrets Revealed

Pack Links

2.4K 125 15
By kauigirl

Phoenix

If I knew how much fun messing with my friends would be through a mind link, I would've asked to join Cody's pack when we first met. 

"Nix, cut the shit! That's effin nasty bro!" shouts Grayson from his room.

Rolling her eyes as she continues to unpack her suit case, Jeanette asks, "What did you do now?"

"Linked him an image of Dr. Pimple Popper popping one of those monstrous zits that I remembered seeing on youtube." I laugh. I heard him waking from his room next to ours and knew it was the perfect time for an ambush.

"I swear, sometimes you guys act half your age."

She isn't wrong, we've been living together for the past four years. By this point we're more like brothers. It might take some time for her to get used to our sometimes adolescent ways, but she will. She's not used to living with a bunch of guys. In all her years in the system, the house we met in was the only one who cared for both boys and girls. After she was moved at fifteen, her last two houses were girls only. College was the same, rooming in the female dorms until graduation. The guys and I had our own house off campus thanks to Cody's parents.

Speaking of, they're pretty cool. I've met them before but officially becoming a member of their pack allowed me to see they really are the genuine people they appear to be. They welcomed us with no problems and found a place for each of us to belong. Jeanette is excited to be using her Early Education degree to teach second grade at the Elementary School here. 

I've never been too trusting when it comes to people of authority. They always seem to have hidden agendas and judge you before really getting to know you. Trevor and Harmony Hanes are different, accepting you as you are no matter where you come from.

Pack life will be an adjustment, most of our lives have been spent around humans since it's uncommon for werewolves to willingly give up their children. Jeanette and I were lucky enough to have each other when our first shift happened at twelve years old.

Imagine waking in a cold sweat, every muscle in your body aching with an intense need to be outside surrounded by nature. Jeanette was the one who helped me into the woods behind our foster home and stayed, even though she was afraid as I changed from a boy into a wolf. Thankfully the change brought with it an immense amount of knowledge and instinct. With it I was able to shift back before she ran for help. Once I changed I could smell she was like me and together we prepared for her shift which went much more smoothly than mine.

We spent the next few years learning everything we could and stayed in touch even though we were separated. She's been my family for a long time, which is why when she needed me at her lowest point, I was there.

A knock on our bedroom door shifts my attention and I move to answer it.

"Hey jack in the crack, I came by to see if you guys wanted to stop by the back to school bonfire they have here every year?" Cody asks still irritated with me for the song I got stuck in his head earlier.

Chuckling I say, "Aren't we a little old for a back to school bonfire?"

"It's not only for high schoolers, the college kids go too. It's pretty PG 13 for the most part but some guys pop a few beers. My little sis and her friends will be there, I just need to remind the punks around here who her brother is and where to keep their eyes, mouths, hands, and any other body part they don't want to lose." He says with a smirk.

In the four years I've known him, I've heard stories of his baby sis. Most of them had me clutching my stomach in laughter. Others had me sympathizing with him. I haven't had the chance to meet her, only saw a couple pictures of her when they were younger that Cody had in a scrapbook his mom made for him when he first went to college.

Whenever he had a video call with her he'd take it in his room away from the horny prying eyes of his roommates. I didn't blame him, I'd be the same way if I had a little sister of my own. I used to be that way with Jeanette when we were younger, now it's a little different. Since claiming her to save her from Calvin, my protective urges are that of a mate. No longer a brother. Being our mating isn't natural, we're still adjusting which is why I suggested we live with the guys first. Let our wolves get used to Pack life before forcing them together in our mated life.

Of course, with my mark currently on her neck, we were half way there. We haven't completed the bond yet. Something neither of us are really ready for.

"A party sounds fun, and I'd really like to meet your sister." Jeanette says shaking me of my thoughts.

"Yeah," I agree, "I'll finally get to meet the tiny terror."

Cody laughs, "Don't let her hear you say that. It drives her nuts how we always tease her about her height, which is why we go above and beyond with names for her."

"Isn't she like, model tall?" Jeanette asks with a little envy in her voice. She's never liked her 5'3" height. Always complains about getting a crick in her neck when she has to look up at my 6'2" frame.

"Pretty much, 5'6" I think. Doesn't make any difference here though. We all stand a few inches taller and she hates it. What she lacks in a few inches of height she sure makes up for in grit. I swear she's made me fear for my life a time or two."

"Sounds like my kind of girl. I'm in! What do you say babe?" She asks, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"I'm down. Just let me get a quick shower in and I'll be ready."

"Sweet. Meet you guys downstairs in about an hour. It's like a fifteen minute drive to the beach so no rush." He says as he turns to find Grayson and Eric. I get a light whiff of something sweet, like cotton candy, as he does so. I noticed it earlier at the Hanes house. The scent was light but everywhere there. It had my spine tingling at the base. 

Worrying the long flight may have gotten to me, I make my way to the shower to hopefully wash the weird feeling away.

Forty-five minutes later, we're by the door waiting for pretty boy to finish his hair routine. Grayson comes down dressed in jeans, a Henley, and timbalands. It's very different from his usual clothes of choice, cargo pants, a shirt, and slides. His hair is up in a man bun and it looks like he shaved.

"Where the hell are you going all dressed up?" I ask.

He looks at me strangely, "What do you mean 'dressed up', it's just jeans and a shirt?"

Eric cracks a smile, a rare one for our usually stoic friend and says, "Didn't you hear? Our boy is in love!"

Grayson punches him in the arm none too lightly, "Shut up Ric. No ones in love. What's wrong with a guy wanting to make a good first impression when meeting members of his new pack?"

"This from the same guy who met the Alpha of said new pack in surf shorts and a white tank which I'm pretty sure had a salsa stain on it." Eric states.

"What are you, my stylist? We'd just gotten off a plane and went straight to the house. I never had a chance to change."

Now it was my turn to make a point, "You had more than enough time today before we were accepted into the pack but you wore your basketball shorts and what I'm sure is the same white tank because I think I saw the stain Eric is referring to."

If looks could kill both Eric and I would be six feet under. We break out in laughter, even Jeanette is giggling along when Cody joins us. "What'd I miss?"

"Nothing, just us giving Gray shit about his sudden clean up." Eric responds.

Cody takes in Grayson's appearance, "I thought you were coming with us tonight. Where you going all dressed up?"

We can't help it, Eric and I practically bust a gut at Grayson's irritated look.

"You guys are assholes!" Grayson says before storming out the front door.

Confused Cody asks, "What did I say?"

Eric slaps him on the back, "Nothing. He's just trying to make a good impression on a certain little sister and we're basically dogging him about it."

That surprises me. Grayson never really cared before about impressing anyone. 

Reaching for his keys, Cody pauses, "Wait. Who's little sister? Mine? Fuck that! You guys know she's off limits. Besides, you guys are too old for her even if she wasn't."

Holding his hands up in innocence, Eric defends, "Relax bro, we know. He isn't gonna make a move. Still wants to look good while not making it though."

We laugh again before a horn is honked repeatedly outside. Someone's anxious.

Shaking his head and picking up his keys Cody says, "Come on, let's go before the princess throws a tantrum. I need to remind him just who's little sister he's getting all dressed up for."

We follow him out and get in his truck. As Cody lays into Grayson I can't help but feel a contentment I've never felt before. This move was a good choice, for all of us.

So far it's also been an entertaining one, and I bet the night will bring some memorable moments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 66K 42
"I need to talk to you Elly" "Why?!" "I know that you're my mate" I laughed sarcastically. "What?! Are you trying to make fun of me again like you di...
442K 17.4K 68
"It's always been you, Phoenix. You are the one who makes me the happiest. Just being in the same room as you gives me god damn butterflies. Hearing...
35.1K 981 30
COMPLETE Sequel (Book 2) of the story 'My Best Friends' Alpha is My Mate.' This story can not be read alone! Read Book 1 before reading this story. T...
4K 171 29
COMPLETE Book 3 of the "My Best Friends' Alpha is My Mate" series. Overprotective parents. An annoying twin brother. Denied my title. Shy. No running...